By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GrahamWh

Here is a list of all the postings GrahamWh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bristol Scout - D. Womersley plan 54" span (1:5 1/2 ish)
30/05/2015 16:14:03

Thanks Stevo, sorry it will be slow progress though - hope no one gets too bored with it!

Thread: Flair Harvard
30/05/2015 16:11:44

Looks a great model Stevo. Not seen these in blue before and it looks very smart. Just a quick observation though - will hot exhaust affect the covering on the LE of the right wing?

Thread: The Seagull E-Pioneer thread
29/05/2015 23:28:47

Well done Janos

Thread: Bristol Scout - D. Womersley plan 54" span (1:5 1/2 ish)
29/05/2015 18:57:20

Thanks Jon - that would look better than a black plastic one.

28/05/2015 19:27:47

My son and I started this build from the Traplet plan some months ago and it has been a slow process. He has done a lot of the building but now I am doing most of it to move things along.

Here we are getting started

bs1.jpg

adding the other side

bs2.jpg

getting the front bit onbs3.jpg

and the back bit

bs4.jpg

Surprisingly the plan called for 10 swg wire for the tail post - I would have thought it rather heavy, so we have used carbon fibre with brass bushes that line up with corresponding bits of brass tube in the moving tail. However, as we are putting an ASP FS61AR on the front later with a slightly extended cowl to fit it all in, maybe the extra weight would not have been so bad. We shall see.

bs5.jpg

Electrics in - radio and servos will be powered by a 2S LiFe - no leaky voltage dropping NiMH, I've had enough of them! The dash won't be particularly scale though we will add some instruments...

bs6.jpg

It may be a while before we have much more progress. We are onto the tail wing and a bit of one main wing is done.

The engine was from HK this time (I have bought from JE too and found their customer service very good). This engine is a delight - really runs well on the bench and swings a 14x4 MA prop at around 10k rpm. It needs to be a 13 or 14 inch prop as the cowl is rather wide. We are aiming to have it flying this year, but may not make the summer unfortunately. I'll update more when we have made some more progress.

Thread: Any one know what plug this is?
28/05/2015 18:55:51

This plug was in an SC91FS. It appears to have a double filament. One side has "H" stamped on it and the opposite has "F".

Does anyone know what it is and if it is suitable for 4 strokes of this size?

Thanks.

plug2.jpg

plug1.jpg

Thread: Parkzone Artizan - CG/Trim Help
25/05/2015 10:02:47

John have you tried to balance the plane upside down when finding where the CoG is? If the CoG is a bit above the bottom surface of the wing then balancing it with fingers/pivots underneath can be problematic and hard to get accurate. Sorry if you have already done this - I know its caught me out before. Of course if the CoG is between the top and bottom surfaces of the wing (being a mid-wing plane) this might not help!

Thread: Flat Car Battery
24/05/2015 22:30:59

If its that old I'd replace it. Some places will plug it into a diagnostic thing to test it properly though.

Thread: AQ new Lightweigt or it is just recycling?
22/05/2015 17:48:58

Looks good Simon. You've reminded me its certainly worth considering glass fibre rather than carbon fibre sometimes to allow the placement of aerials.

Thread: This quarter's BMFA news
21/05/2015 22:05:02

Mines arrived - but not my son's, even though we live in the same house! I must say I am impressed with it. Just a 2 page spread on "vintage" stuff which may be proportional to the amount of people interested (I don't know of any) and plenty of very interesting articles. A good variety of disciplines covered. I think the mag has improved.

Thread: When you don't know what to do with the empties
21/05/2015 19:53:45

Very good, well spotted Cymaz.

Thread: Noise in Taranis sounds / voices
20/05/2015 22:43:23

Does it still happen if you and other pilots nearby don't have mobile phones in your pockets? I have known radios that run on mobile systems networks to produce such strong interference that PC speakers can suddenly emit white noise when they are nearby.

Thread: Flying club near Banff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
16/05/2015 17:38:05

Thank you very much gentlemen!

15/05/2015 17:48:52

Does anyone know of a model flying club near Banff?

Thread: The Seagull E-Pioneer thread
14/05/2015 17:30:41

Looking forward to seeing it in the air Janos.

Thread: BBC Four 10:00PM Tonight Eric 'Winkle' Brown Documentary
12/05/2015 21:37:04

Thanks BD

Thread: Resin to replace steel
12/05/2015 21:29:00

(Assuming the ball is okay but has broken off the shaft)

I'd drill a hole about 1 cm deep into the mating faces of the shaft and the ball and prepare a steel pin to connect them through the drilled holes. I'd then use a metal type epoxy to fill the holes, insert the pin, wipe off excess epoxy and hold together with tape or something. Give it about 3 days to go properly hard and strong. I did this on a bit of a car once - cant remember what - and it was okay. JC Weld is the best if you need temperature resistance.

Edited By GrahamWh on 12/05/2015 21:29:25

Edited By GrahamWh on 12/05/2015 21:30:24

Thread: DX6i Electric throttle cut
09/05/2015 21:21:15

Phil's idea works well and is easy enough. I did the same on mine and my son's, and my brother did it on his. One thing to watch though is that some escs don't like it if you start the plane up with the throttle cut activated. When it is de-activated the esc has the prop still running when the throttle is on zero, like an ic engine on idle. You have to disconnect and re-start with the throttle cut de-activated then all is okay. Some escs are fine with it though.

Edited By GrahamWh on 09/05/2015 21:24:42

Thread: Does The Max Thrust Riot Make A Good Trainer?
08/05/2015 15:00:12

A friend at the club I go to who is learning has an E-flight apprentice and uses a stabiliser for that, but is fine without a stabiliser with his Riot.

Thread: Election....Enough i have had enough!!!!
05/05/2015 19:00:23

Too right.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us