By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john melia 1

Here is a list of all the postings john melia 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: just engines jens duo exhaust 30cc
29/06/2015 23:37:33

i bought one of these exhaust system £85 from je , after watching a video of a 26cc petrol engine performing with this exhaust on JE website

my sbach 30cc before installing this exhaust would climb vertical out of sight , but now runs out of steam while climbing vertical and falls backwards ,

the exhaust has twin baffles inside , and does a good job at quietening down the engine , but with a very noticable loss in performance , yet in the video they claim the engine on test had increased rpm with the same exhaust

i'm just wondering if anyone else has tried one of these systems , and if so what did they experience with it

its looking like i'm going to have to go back to a stock exhaust deflector (cant really call it a muffler/exhaust) to regain the power i have lost

seems a waste of £85

Thread: this hobby needs more young blood
29/06/2015 22:37:47

no mark you certainly are not one of the grumpy old men , and i appreciate all the help and advice you have given me over the past year , we'll have to meet up sometime and get a few flights in .

Hows Lee doing Mark ? Has the car , beer , and girlfriend totally taken over now lol ?

Edited By john melia 1 on 29/06/2015 22:38:35

29/06/2015 18:29:26

i have no intentions whatsoever of getting involved in petty club politics , theres too much in life to worry about , all i want is to fly , have a laugh , and go home satisfied with my model intact .

28/06/2015 23:40:09

when i first opened this post , i didnt mean young young uns , i should have said 20 to 30 year olds , a lot of the clubs i have been in are run by OLD and sometimes GRUMPY men , who seemed to be worried about nothing more than how many are going to attend the next meeting , which to be perfectly honest is mostly a complete waste of time , and normally just trawls over the same old subjects .

These same people are rarely seen at the field , and when they are , they talk club politics behind their windbreaks while sipping hot tea from their flasks . All this is a total put off to the "young uns", these clubs need brought up to date , a committee (for want of a better word) with its finger on the pulse of todays technology , move with the times , embrace the new blood when it does appear , and dont scowl because they can do things in a matter of weeks what some can only dream of .

I've even heard comments such as " an aeroplane should not be flown like that " "its not natural " from a few old club members while watching a guy flying 3D along with the slow shake of their heads

No wonder this hobby is slowly dying , ....... and again i reiterate .... not ALL clubs are like that , and as my opening post says , its what i have experienced , so can only comment on what i've seen first hand

23/06/2015 10:09:10

out of all these replies , how many posts are actually from youngsters i wonder (apart from me of course wink), ...... one ? Says it all really doesnt it

Edited By john melia 1 on 23/06/2015 10:10:23

21/06/2015 21:36:11

what i have noticed from the young uns that happen to pass when i am flying with a few others , is the fact they are all attracted to the fast moving , aerobatic/3d models , they just do not seem to be interested in gliders , warbirds, or high wing flying shoe boxes

19/06/2015 14:59:10

no i'm not ben !! dont know what made craig say that crook

18/06/2015 22:08:30

dunno about anyone elses opinions , but i think this hobby is stagnating , too many oldies and not enough youngies if you get my drift.

Over the past year and a bit i have been a member of four different clubs , and each one seems to be the same , ie , turn up at the field and more times than not its old timers setting up deck chairs and wind breaks , bringing a model that rarely sees any airtime , while they congregate and basically moan , about club politics , and shake their heads at anyone who can fly more than a flat circuit.

No wonder the young ones steer clear , and no wonder a lot of clubs are struggling to keep/find members .

just my basic observations , from a personal standpoint , be interesting to hear what others opinions and observations are 

what say you ???

Edited By john melia 1 on 18/06/2015 22:10:32

Thread: Hss steel
18/06/2015 19:04:02
Posted by Plummet on 18/06/2015 16:45:39:

Have a look at

http://www.axminster.co.uk/aluminium-oxide-white-grinding-wheels

Make friends with your sharpening equipment. Some folk spend more time sharpening than turning.

Plummet

£36 !surprise

18/06/2015 16:44:36

thanks for that guys

18/06/2015 15:53:18

i've just bought myself a wood lathe , to start learning some turning , bowls ect , just wondering where i can get a suitable 150mm grinding wheel for sharpening and shaping hss steel , seen a few "white" wheels on ebay but £38 !!! i think not , apparentley the standard wheels on the bench grinder will not do the job , as they can overheat the tip of the tool

i have a feeling this is going to tak e over as my number one hobby , so i may be selling all my flying stuff

Thread: Breitling MXS-R
08/06/2015 00:02:39

i have a 62cc glens cap ... same colour/ breitling scheme

Thread: When can you fly?
06/06/2015 12:45:40

when this constant wind finally stops

Thread: Vinyl Decals and lettering from - john melia 1
06/06/2015 09:39:07
Posted by ken anderson. on 06/06/2015 08:00:03:

well done john-are you taking orders?

ken Anderson...ne..1.......... JM ordering dept.

yes ken

05/06/2015 23:51:13

glad you like them peter , they look good

Thread: TSR2 The Untold Story
03/06/2015 23:54:05

worth a watch **LINK**

Thread: NT Buys the Great Orme
03/06/2015 09:24:52
Posted by Andy Meade on 03/06/2015 08:58:48:

Still probably a sound issue - far too many screeching brushless power systems out there.

out on the side of a wind swept slope in the middle of nowhere i would have thought sound would not present too much of an issue , there again i wouldnt know because i've never ever done any slope soaring

03/06/2015 08:34:17

why dont they allow at least electric powered models , and why no ic powered models , just curious , is it because of polution , or the fear of frightening off the wildlife

Thread: dle 30cc .... fake ??
03/06/2015 08:28:45

yeah cant fault them upto now mark , and yes i've seen yours running and performing a few times , and hopefully if this incessant wind stops i'll get to fly with you and young lee at some point .

john as i stated earlier , the engine is running perfect , no hunting , and pickup is spot on

02/06/2015 19:01:50

the fake dle engine i bought off xplus2014 is running as sweet as a nut , in fact it idles and runs better than my genuine dle in the sbach , i have however changed the piston ring for a frank bowman ring

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us