By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AVC

Here is a list of all the postings AVC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Film covering
20/06/2018 14:10:05
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/06/2018 13:12:04:
I don't remember ever seeing Monokote on sale in the UK frown

I used to buy it in the US (Tower Hobbies). I hardly have found it regularly in Europe

20/06/2018 10:56:41

I have used TopFloite Monokote for years, and I agree with Jim in terms of adhesion. It is also more "shiny" than Oracover in my opinion. Having said that, Oracover is great also.

As for the HK stuff, I bough three rolls of different colours recently, but I still haven't tried it, although I agree that for the price, it has to be really really bad not to worth it!

Thread: Fed Up!
20/06/2018 10:50:20
Posted by Kevin 216 on 19/06/2018 18:37:16:
Posted by Ray Dunn on 19/06/2018 09:59:41:
Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 17/06/2018 09:45:29:

One of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind is the on/off switch on the TV receiver. smile p

The off switch doesn't seem to work, when the wife has the controller..

The off switch in our house works, SWMBO always has the controller she can't stand footbore, really enjoying the peace and quiet.

Get rid of the telly! Better than the on/off switch, and you will save some money on the license!

Thread: Is this correct
19/06/2018 13:36:02

Agreed with Jon and BEB. My rule of thumb for NiMH has always been to charge them at 0.1C, unless you really need a quick charge, and in this case never more than 0.5C

I still have some old NiMH in working order, so this must work I guess...smiley

Thread: Essential RC's videos
19/06/2018 13:12:44

Wow, this is impressive! Shame I couldn't stay overnight in Weston Park...

Thread: Unexplained crash
19/06/2018 13:00:56

I understand your concerns. I would make a simple test: discharge the battery down to 1 volt per element (assuming is NiMH), connect all servos, rx and battery, and switch it on, to see how the servos react to a low voltage. If there's no reaction, then the interference is more likely.

And sorry for being a pain, but I'm quite sure that the default position when failsafe is not set, is "hold" which means that the servos will remain in the last position. Have you tested that in your case, without setting the F/S, the throttle will close? If this is the case, then you have it set.

19/06/2018 12:16:41
Posted by Don Fry on 19/06/2018 12:10:42:

I struggle to see any other cause than a loss of signal issue

I agree, although a loss of signal per se doesn't make the aileron servos to turn to the same position (i.e. banking) twice. The F/S would just hold the last position, unless is set.

That's why I keep thinking on the fail safe setup, specially in this transmitter with "dual" F/S (signal and battery)

19/06/2018 11:15:22

Thanks Alex. I'm a great fan of Hitec servos but in my experience, when there have a electrical problem (and I have had a couple or three of them...) they tend to drain the battery very quickly, faster than other servos.

Have you checked the battery F/S in the radio?

19/06/2018 07:56:39

Are the servos Hitec by any chance?

19/06/2018 07:25:53
Posted by Gary Manuel on 18/06/2018 22:31:35:
Posted by alex nicol on 18/06/2018 22:27:41:

Hi Martin, separate channels, no y lead.

Further update, after plugging everything in on the bench, all worked fine. left it all switched on and did 5 minute interval quick stick wiggle checks, first couple went ok then the elevator servo was unresponsive, I picked the servo up and the base was absolutely roasting. hasty power off ensued servo in the bin. nothing's glitches remaining servos working fine, continuing to test

That servo that got hot, was probably putting a high load onto your receiver / battery which caused the receiver to brown out or the electronics to mis-behave.

I reckon you may have just found and fixed your problem.

This servo is probably part of the answer, specially if you are using NiMh batteries, as the discharge rate is relatively low so that servo was probably taking all the juice of the battery.

But I still think that you should double (or triple) check the F/S, because a loss or reduction of power in itself shouldn't result in full left ailerons, especially when using two separate channels. The 12z has two types of F/S, signal F/S (standard) and battery F/S. Check if the set up is different for the battery one, especially for channels 1 and 6

Thread: Sport planes - engine recommendations
15/06/2018 13:02:31

If you had time to build, I'd recommend the Apache Aviation / SLEC Super or Pepsi Chipmunk, I have the Pepsi one with an MVVS 30cc, and I love how she flies. With the FF240 and a smoke punk, it would be perfect !!

Thread: Rotary Couplers
15/06/2018 12:53:20

Hi G-JIMG, do you mind sharing the link to the company, please? I'm about to start building an Arado AR-96 and I'd like to use RDS controls.

Thanks!

Thread: Weston Park Modellers' Swapmeet 2018
12/06/2018 21:03:39

Thanks for the advise Paul. I may have some stuff to sell.

12/06/2018 08:19:28

Hi Paul. I'm planning to go this year. Do you know if card payment is accepted in the swapmeet, or shall I bring cash?

Thread: Has Forum Activity declined?
01/06/2018 12:24:01

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 01/06/2018 12:10:13:

"Instant Gratification", these days people seem to "want it....want it now!"........our hobby takes a while to get to grips with, especially if you are building from plans and are a slow learner.

Spot on, Simon. Our hobby is probably one of the most rewarding ones, but also the one that takes longer to reward, and today's people don't want to wait; they want it with no effort. I'm trying to get my kids involved, and to be honest they are very interested, but they get bored soon because they can't do a stall turn before learning to take off...

By the way, it's been a long time since I posted last time (I was doing the Ballerina MB, which BTW is still unfinished...). I may get more active going forward! smiley

Thread: Andys 120% ballerina
13/02/2016 17:02:45
Great Andy! Congrats!👌
10/02/2016 07:23:20
Posted by AndyD on 09/02/2016 22:46:32:

Hi John,yes im painting,not got enough tex of any decent colours but ive got some black aerosols,i was surposed to be doing this on the cheap and to use up a lot of odds an ends but just spent £9 on a pilot,just hope he fits better.

Hi Andy

What will you use to protect the text from leaks under the mask? The -tex covering has this bad habit...

Another question: where do you get the covering from? The Solartex is good but a bit expensive, and if this one works well, I'd like to try it smiley

Thread: I confess to serious error
10/02/2016 07:14:47
Posted by cymaz on 09/02/2016 17:43:36:

Ummm....I must confess my aileron reversal on a maiden flight angrycryingcrying 2broken heart

That was my case also, with a beautiful Extra 300...cryingangry 2

Thread: Chris's Bella Ballerina HD
09/02/2016 09:05:59

Very neat woodwork Chris wink

Is this the "Pinguin" Stape you're referring to?

sv penguin.jpg

Thread: John's Ballerina Build
08/02/2016 21:53:07
Wow, it's almost finished. You'll maiden even before I decide where Ill place the servos 👌
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!