By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tosh McCaber

Here is a list of all the postings Tosh McCaber has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
16/01/2021 15:35:24

Looks good Simon! Lot of building? What's inside? Engine? etc.

Good luck with the maiden flight!

Thread: Edingurgh's Hogmany 2020 Drone display
01/01/2021 13:17:55

Now that is impressive- amazing- and home grown! Anybody able to count the number of drones- 100+-?

Thread: Spektrum Rx Servo Slots
20/12/2020 14:42:14

Thx Leccy,

My pal Norrie suggested that I go out and buy a bunch of Spektrum bare plugs, pull out the pins from the existing plugs on the servos that I intend to use, and substitute the Spektrum plugs for them. However, knowing me, I'm feart and would probably make a hash of it!

See you on the field after, or before New Year?

20/12/2020 11:09:31

Thx for the ongoing discussion. Like Frank, I think that the slots on the Spektrum AR9200 seem very tight, as well as having larger wedges than the new Spektrum Rxs, like the AR410 in the picture above.

I've chiselled the flanges of Futaba plugs before, with no trouble, but these are a different matter- maybe have to buy some (overpriced) Spektrum servos!!

19/12/2020 19:48:14

I have a Spektrum AR9020 RX. The Rx came as part of my DX9 package. All the servo slots have wedge shaped, presumably polarity, guards, which are a real pain. It means having to chisel wedges off the edges of my servos- quite difficult. Almost as bad, if not worse than Futaba!

Do all the Spektrums have similar slots? Fortunately, my (very reliable and cheaper) Orange Rxs have plain rectangular slots.

Thread: Adhesives. PVA Glues: White or Yellow?
15/12/2020 13:29:04

I've used Titebind Ultimate for many years (in appropriate areas), rather than PVA, which dries rubbery, and is difficult to sand. Don't know why Chris would go with PVA over aliphatic? does anyone know (maybe best to ask the man himself!)

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 15/12/2020 13:30:16

Thread: Problem with ESC setting up
11/12/2020 21:26:43

Thanks so far guys- No matter how I start- always Tx first- throttle set to full power, or idle, plug in battery to ESC, the same thing- after the musical triple start-up tone-da da da- there's a continuous beep beep beep from the RX/ESC, which does not stop!

I should said that all was working a couple of days ago, before I disconnected everything to service/ repair the plane, so I thought that it was in bind mode. But now, I've tried to rebind the TX/Rx. So, on plugging in the Rx battery without the tranny being on, the continuous beeping starts, and doesn't stop! Bleedin' frustratin'!!

11/12/2020 19:51:27

I'm a novice with the intracies of electric power, having recently converted from ic to battery operation.  I've so far managed previously to set up a couple of electric models with motor/ esc operation.

However, can anyone help with an infuriating problem setting up the esc/ motor operation on my latest motor glider?  I switch on Tx with throttle to full.  Then, I plug in motor/Rx battery.  On my other models, I get a triple musical di di le beep beep beep (excuse my lack of a musical keyboard!!).  Then we're set to go.

With this setup, after the musical triple start-up tone- there's a continuous beep beep beep from the RX/Esc, which carries on no matter that the throttle is at full or low.  I can't get Rx /Esc beeping to stop.

I'm sure that it's something silly that I'm not getting right.  Any suggestions appreciated.

After the musical triple start-up tone-da da da- then there's a continuous beep beep beep from the RX/Esc, no matter that the throttle is at full or low. I can't get Rx /Esc beeping to stop.

I'm sure that it's something silly that I'm not getting right. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 11/12/2020 19:59:48

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 11/12/2020 20:01:23

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
10/12/2020 17:38:27

Just noted above that May and June issues were not sent!? Thanks to Covid, or whatever- I didn't notice that! Were all May/June issues cancelled to everybody?

I haven't been notified that my sub would be extended (doesn't surprise me!)

05/12/2020 10:59:02

Quite agree Grumpy- from one Grump to another, - it must be a big problem collating articles in this environment. I'm generally pretty satisfied with the content, in the circumstances!

Thread: Are IC Props suitable for Leccy motors?
01/12/2020 14:38:22

I have recently gone over to electric, after many years glow etc. I still have a large number of (Top Flite etc) wooden and nylon props, which I used with my IC engines. I had hoped to be able to use them with my electric motors, but one of my club members has told me.

Will I be able to use them??

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
01/12/2020 14:14:18

December 04, I believe!

Thread: Oily Areas During Model Stripdown
15/11/2020 17:28:36

Thanks for all the replies!!

15/11/2020 12:47:36

I'm refurbishing one of my old glow plug models. I'm planning replacing the glow engine with an electric motor. Having stripped the Solarfilm, I've found some balsa/ plywood areas are slightly greasy with engine oil, which has soaked through. Has anyone any suggestions how to clean up these areas so that the new solarfilm will stick??

Thread: Covering Materials Availability-Alternatives
11/11/2020 15:09:59

How about the vinyl films being used for logos on vans etc. How they would compare with some of the above- weight, shrinkabilrty etc?

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 11/11/2020 15:10:40

11/11/2020 14:13:30

Didn't remember |HK in my trawling through!

Thread: Turnigy Transmitter Case
11/11/2020 12:59:46

I second that! Several club members have purchased this case- great value.

Thread: Covering Materials Availability-Alternatives
11/11/2020 12:57:16

Just done a run through of available iron on covering materials. Here's a list of my results:

Solarfilm, Solartex- Discontinued: Oratex- Available- Expensive!: Easycoat- Mainly available in10m lengths- available@ £50.00: Monocote Limited Availability- Expensive- future uncertain.

In the USA- Coverite, 21st Century Pre-painted Fabric, Sig Coverall all discontinued. Only Ultracoat seems available

I guess that the ready-built market has diminished the requirements for iron on films?

There are some of the alternative vinyl films being used for logos on vans etc. I wondered how they would compare with some of the above- weight, shrinkabilrty etc?

Anyone had any experience with any other than our (previous) mainstream modelling films?

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 11/11/2020 12:58:06

Thread: Motor Size Suggestions
31/10/2020 14:33:45

I'm looking at building from a German plan,a high wing lightweight model- wingspan 900mm, weight 430g, and motor- that's what I'm unclear about- the plan states- 50g brushless z.B DPower 2814- prop size depenant on motor.

Can anyone out there suggest a suitable motor to fit? Thx in advance

Thread: Inverted Problem
21/10/2020 10:02:52

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. I agree that the semi symetrical will generate lift, upright or inverted, even at zero deg incidence. I'm going to screw in a turn or two of up aileron on each side (single aileron servo), with elevator compensation, to see how that goes. I'll let you know how it goes.

My control surfaces are presently on very low dual rate/ expo!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!