By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for PeterF

Here is a list of all the postings PeterF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flat Car Battery from non-use of car
01/04/2020 09:38:33

I have left my car for 5 weeks before without it being a problem.

I would not advocate using a LiPo, car starter battery currents are typically many hundreds of amps, car batteries tend to be rated for things like 600 amps when cranking a cold engine.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
29/03/2020 18:26:00

No view out for the pilot, I guess that makes it funky.

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
29/03/2020 10:18:34

Craig,

I did not take any in build pics of the ducts. I made up a single sheet of balsa larger than required but did not glue it into a tube. I soaked it and then formed a tube smaller than the intake with a loose overlap and inserted into the hole. Once in the hole I expanded it to fit, marked off the diagonal front of the intake and the point where the overlap came to. I then removed the sheet, cut back to the diagonal lines leaving some spare and cut back some the spare overlap, but not all of it. I then refitted the sheet to recheck the overlap position, removed it and made the final cut. I then glued it into a tube and inserted it for the final time, but to get it in it needed to be soaked again and one of the flat faces bent inwards to make the overall size smaller than the hole. Very fiddly.

28/03/2020 23:30:04
Posted by Greg Minden on 28/03/2020 21:38:41:

Looking good. I became worried that the flat bulkhead next to the fan intake would reduce efficiency and power so decided to fair in the inlets to the fan. Seemed like a good idea and my thrust measurements would agree

My view on this is that with a full lip on the fan inlet, it should not matter as this will feed the air smoothly into the fan and the inlet area is larger than the FSA so that air flow will only need to change direction and accelerate at the fan inlet. The proof will however come some time in the future as I will not be cutting the access hatches until I have glassed the fuselage.

28/03/2020 20:44:16

I have added the inner sheeting in the inlet ducts. I have made this full lenth back to the former with the fan inlet to give a smoother flow area for the air going to the fans. The corner infills have also been added. I have fixed the rudder in position and added the spine along the top of the fuselage.

That about finishes the majority of the build. Now to start sanding and filling in preparation for glassing, parcel arriving Monday from East Coast Fibreglass Supplies. That will keep me occupied for the next 2 weeks of lockdown (or more).

dsc08822.jpg

dsc08833.jpg

dsc08835.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
27/03/2020 19:41:41
Posted by Peter Miller on 27/03/2020 18:10:45:

The engine is impresive.

I wonder if I can persuade my Dremel 3D printer to make one of those

There are a few radial engine models on Thingiverse of varying complexity

9 cylinder radial engine

Dummy 9 cylinder radial front half

3Dlabprint do not sell the files for the Stearman engine seperately, but they have some larger ones for B-25 and Corsair, page through their shop.

3D LabPrint shop

27/03/2020 17:42:19

Here is the result of a completely different type of build to my normal models, a 3Dlabprint Stearman. It is fully 3D printed, even the flexible rubber tyres and the coils in the main undercarriage legs. I bought a 3D printer late last year to make some parts for the TN Vulcan I am building. I then found out about the 3Dlabprint models and thought I would try one. It took a bit to get some of the settings dialed in for the special type of printing used in these models with many trials runs before choosing the best ones. It took about 150 hours to print and assembly was pretty much straightforward. There is no painting on this, the model was printed with yellow, blue, black and grey coloured filaments. The radial engine is all printed and looks rather good in my opinion, although it is stretching a cheap basic hobby 3D printer to its limits to print the cylinders. Looking forward to the maiden. Part way through the print I was sorting through my pile of old RCM&Es and found an article on this model from July 2018 that I had forgotten all about, although the RCM&E review was of a set of parts printed by a commercial outfit.

dsc08823 (custom).jpg

dsc08826 (custom).jpg

dsc08828 (custom).jpg

dsc08743 (custom).jpg

Thread: Probable scam?
05/03/2020 19:38:01
Posted by Peter Miller on 05/03/2020 18:25:15:

I think I have a new one.

A very convincing email from my internet provider telling me that my Direct debit has been cancelled. and giving me links to give my details. Oh yes!! I am sure!!!! Not a snowballs chance.

I went and checked on my bank account and it still has not been cancelled.

Funny you should mention this as I have just dealt with, i.e. hit the delete button, exactly the same thing.

23/02/2020 19:54:49

Leading edges, wing tips, inner elevators and outer elevons now all completed. The only bit that has given me some pause for thought was how to build the outer elevons with the reflex built into the outer half of these, none of the surfaces were flat to build them on the board in the normal way. I have tried to sand the trailing edge of th wing tip blocks to follow the reflex on the outer part of the elevons.

dsc08758.jpg

dsc08755.jpg

Edited By PeterF on 23/02/2020 19:55:30

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
17/02/2020 19:15:00

One thought crops up, more than 20% of the members in our club either had no DoB or a shortened first name / nick name in the BMFA membership. Despite the BMFA emailing all members with email and me doing the same (club sec) I had to chase up individual members to get the correct information. I expect that the CAA have probably been given a set of data with a lot of erroneous data in and that there will be a significant number of modellers that do not get a number because they fail the government ID verification. These modellers will not get their number in the next 7 days and will need more time. Perhaps the CAA were expecting to receive only good quality data.

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
17/02/2020 12:41:35

There is nothing stopping you using the motor you have and just putting a smaller diameter prop on to reduce the thrust and power consumption as long as the motor fits and the plane balances. With an electric motor the revs will not increase much unlike IC if that is where your experience lies. An 11x6 prop would reduce the power to around 275W and a 12x6 to around 350W on a 3 cell battery.

Thread: Balsa or Obechi
13/02/2020 16:32:14

Purchased some ammonia solution from my local hardware shop in December for bending balsa sheet. I had never used it before in 20 years of modelling. I poured a liberal dose out to wipe over the sheet and had to make a hasty retreat from the workshop. Live and learn.

10/02/2020 17:08:22

The second wing has now been completed to the same stage, sheeted both surfaces, servo mounting rails installed, wing tubes cut and checked. I have added another photo of the wing retention system before sheeting with the aluminium plate bolted into place on both sides of the wing joint. As noted previously, I have followed the photo instructions. The oddest job was gluing the wing frames to the fuselage and sheeting over everything, then cutting off the wing panels afterwards, first time I have ever done anything like this. From the photo below, the wing joint is between the second and third ribs, which are spaced a hacksaw blades width apart with some thin balsa sheet, ready for cutting after sheeting is complete.

Ready to add the leading edges, wing tips and the control surfaces.

dsc08723.jpg

dsc08732.jpg

Thread: Scratch built foam/depron indoor models, lets see them.
09/02/2020 17:07:50

Here is my Etrich Taube. I can not recall how long ago I built it, the innards came from a Parkzone Ember. I have a 2m wingspan version I have flown outdoors for perhaps 15 years so I thought I would make an indoor one. I printed out a 3 view, tacked it onto some depron and cut it out. The wing was placed over an aerofoil shape and held down with some paper and gently heated to give it the under cambered section. The tips were then heated and lifted per the reflex on the full scale. Coloured with felt pen. Flies lovely, 10+ minutes on a 70mAh battery.

dsc01170 (custom).jpg

dsc01172 (custom).jpg

Edited By PeterF on 09/02/2020 17:27:12

05/02/2020 20:19:14

Yes, it is about 78" at the moment, when I put the wing tips on it will be about 83". Not sure why it is called 78".

Thread: I guess there is no problem
05/02/2020 16:22:55
Posted by Bruce Collinson on 05/02/2020 14:46:20:

Won't 24 hours in a freezer do it?

BTC

PS the parcel, not you.

No, freezing stuff merely stops the biological activity, it does not necessarily kill simple things like bacteria, viruses, stuff is frozen in liquid nitrogen and remains biologically viable when thawed.

What you need is an hour at gas mark 8, now that will kill it.

05/02/2020 16:17:39

The first wing has been completed and this followed the photographic instruction sheet and the plans. Sheet the upper surface, add strengthening blocks at some corners, add the elevator and elevon hinge blocks, add the servo rails, sheet the lower surface and cut off the wing, which is shown in the post above. The only area I have deviated is to mount the servos into plastic covers because the plan calls for the servo tops and horns to be exposed. I have 3D printed some servo covers and I have gone back and reworked the rudder servo to match. The second wing is coming along now that the first one is completed.

Wing skeleton being glued into place on the fuselage.dsc08676.jpg

Top surface sheeted.dsc08680.jpg

Servo rails / hatch for the inner elevator.dsc08688.jpg

Servo in 3D printed cover.dsc08693.jpg

Servo for the outer elevon mounted in position before sheeting the lower surface.dsc08696.jpg

Bottom surface sheeted.dsc08698.jpg

Rudder servo reworked so it is not exposed.dsc08691.jpg

05/02/2020 16:00:51

It has been a while since I posted but I have been working away and making good progress.

The topic of this post is how I have designed the wing retention on my model as the plans are silent on this issue. Ideally this should be decided upon before the wings are sheeted, otherwise you will need to cut patches out of the skin.

I have glued ply plates onto the wing tubes either side of the wing joint and reinforced these with triangular stock, all glued on with lashings of epoxy. Threaded inserts had already been glued into the ply plate using before gluing them to the wing tubes. The outside of the inserts is knurled to give a good grip when glued in. Slots are then cut into the root ribs and a short 3mm aluminium bar with holes in the appropriate locations is then screwed to the inserts in the ply plates using cap head screws through small holes in the upper sheeting. By appropriate use of shims, the head of the bolts is relatively flush with the wing surface.

The main aluminium wing tube (the rear one) needs some form of stopper to prevent it migrating in and pressing against the exhaust duct from the fan as this is flexible and will deform allowing the tube to move and the fan performance to be reduced. During the wing attachment, a small piece of sheeting needs removing so you can glue the wing tube to short rib WS1. I took advantage of this and glued 2 sheets of ply between WS1 and the exhaust duct, the first sheet of ply was 2.4mm and had a hole in to match the wing tube so that the wing tube could pass through WS1 by a small amount. The second sheet of ply was solid and this stops the wing tube moving inwards towards the exhaust duct.

Pictures may explain things better.

Ply plates glued to the wing tube shown from above before sheetingdsc08717.jpg

Ply plates shown from below with triangular reinforcement from below after sheeting the top surfacedsc08689.jpg

Wing section removed showing aluminium tubes and aluminium strip to lock the wing in placedsc08706.jpg

Upper sheeting showing the two cap head machine screwsdsc08702.jpg

Two layers of ply between short rib WS1 and the exhaust duct with a hole in the first additional ply layerdsc08710.jpg

12/01/2020 19:15:50

Second wing skeleton completed and test fit. This is getting quite large now and will be too long to fit when the nose and tail cones are on. I need a considerably bigger workshop or I might have to take the doors of the wall cupboard.

dsc08631.jpg

Thread: Power Safe for any receiver
10/01/2020 23:16:22

Looks good. I have been making my own back up power system with Schottky diodes, nowhere near as nicely turned out as this, kudos to you. I use 40Amp rated diodes on each supply to give some overhead, reduces the voltage drop somewhat and provides a bigger package for heat dissipation.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us