By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for PeterF

Here is a list of all the postings PeterF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
29/03/2016 10:16:53

I have not yet fitted the epoxy glass fitting to the lower front spar yet, this is today's job. I have remembered to keep the rear fitting loose at the moment as I know I need those extra ply sheet bits on the inboard ends of the wings.

29/03/2016 08:24:47

Continuing with the wings, all the riblets are now all in place. As with the full size plane, there are two upper riblets between each full rib and a single lower riblet. I have added the metal mounting brackets and flying wire brackets back onto the inboard ends of the spars. On the upper wing, a word of caution to anyone following this before building their own Falcon kit. If you removed the metal brackets to build the wings, then you may have glued the inboard ply trailing edge to the rear spar, I did, now I have had to cut a slot in it with the hacksaw for the flying wire bracket and drill a hole for the bolt. Also on the upper wing, on the front mounting bracket I could not get into the one 8BA bolt head against the inboard rib, so I swapped this to a cheese head bolt as access with a screwdriver was easier. The plan does not state anything about adding packing pieces for the rear mounting plates on the lower wing, but this does seem to be prudent. The instructions with the kit are fairly basic and if you do not think several steps ahead then you end up with some minor errors such as the need to cut the slot for the one bracket noted above.

Riblets installeddsc04230.jpg

Upper wing, inboard trailing edge glued to rear spardsc04206.jpg

Upper wing, slot cut into inboard trailing edgedsc04207.jpg

Upper wing front mounting bracket with cheese head boltdsc04224.jpg

Upper wing metal fittings completeddsc04210.jpg

Lower wing rear mounting plate packing piecesdsc04215.jpg

Lower wing rear mounting platedsc04219.jpg

Lower wing metal fittings completeddsc04228.jpg

26/03/2016 19:49:52

Whilst the riblets were being glued to the upper wings, I have moved on to hinging the ailerons. Again, the model is relatively true to scale with the hinge axis being towards the top of the aileron. However, if the hinges were installed into the rear spar and aileron spar at this height then there would be no wood to support them as they sit right at the top of the spar. Therefore, the hinges are installed at an angle. Measuring the plan this comes out at about 26 degree, hence I drilled an angled hole into a hardwood block on my pillar drill as the table can be rotated to give angled drilling. I then marked lines on the block to line it up with the top of the rear spar or aileron spar and then clamped it in place and used my pin vice to drill out the 3mm holes. These needed enlarging a bit at the mouth as the Robart hinge points flare out towards the axis. The hardwood jig needed cutting down to get into the end of the final hole on the one wing due to the limited room. Someone asked a few posts ago how I did this, well I hope this has answered the question.

Sketch of Tiger Moth aileron showing high hinge axismoth aileron.jpg

Hardwood drilling jig with reference marks and angled holedsc04196.jpg

Drilling jig clamped to spar with pencil line at top of spardsc04192.jpg

Drilling the angled holedsc04189.jpg

Drilled hole just at the top of the spar - spot ondsc04197.jpg

Robart hinge installeddsc04191.jpg

Final hole being drilled after cutting down the jigdsc04198.jpg

Aileron installeddsc04201.jpg

25/03/2016 17:12:32

I have been getting on with the build, but it is at a stage where there seems to be a lot of effort for not much gain as the work is all about adding stuff to the wings, which are not going to get any larger in appearance. I have added pads for the interplane struts and drilled these using the epoxy glass drilling jigs that come with the kit, makes life easy. I have sanded the LE and the wing ends with a round profile to simulate the tube on the full scale. I now started on the "death by a thousand riblets" challenge, all 6 sheets of them, at least I have not had to cut my own out from sheet.

Drilling jigs for interplane strutsdsc04182.jpg

Mounting pads drilled for interplane strutsdsc04180.jpg

Shaped wing endsdsc04183.jpg

4 wings ready for ribletsdsc04178.jpg

6 sheets of ribletsdsc04185.jpg

1st wing with riblets glued into positiondsc04186.jpg

Thread: Caption time again!
22/03/2016 18:38:18

Thunderbirds new mole has problems entering the ground.

22/03/2016 18:35:55

Melbourne here I come.

22/03/2016 17:32:13

Michael,

The landing gear would probably be OK as long as you made up some new mounts to suit. A lot of the hardware suits the way the Falcon model is built up and may not fit the DH kit very well as the side frames are different. The landing wires may not fit, but Falcon or only resselling them from elsewhere, so you can always buy direct to the precise lengths required for the DH kit. See **LINK**.

Don Coe has a good build log on RC Scalebuilder for the DH kit so you can see how different things like the cabane mounting are.

22/03/2016 07:31:52

Manish,

To get true scale movement you need to have the disc rotating +/- 90° which is difficult with the arrangement you have, but you should still be able to get +/-60° and more throw. To do this you need to make the control arm that is attached to the top of the disc shorter. The disc will then rotate more, ideally, if the control arm attached to the disc is the same length as the servo arm then you will get +/-60° travel. You may not need as much as this for the down so you could reduce this by changing the end points or better still offsetting the servo arm some more.

I had looked at this sort of set up for mine, and when I considered the possible geometry decided against it as I aim to achieve the scale like 180° rotation on my disc which will mean that the down aileron returns close to neutral at full throw as per diagram below.

tmdifferential.jpg

The other option I looked at was to follow the Dennis Bryant 1/5th scale plan where he uses a 2:1 gearing to make the disc turn more than the servo action. Attached is a shot of the plan and the aileron gearing. This is taken from a build log at **LINK**

gears2.jpg

gears4.jpg

Thread: Hitec Aurora 9 2.4ghz
21/03/2016 20:55:59

Spektrum model match is apparently patented in some form, so a work around is required by other manufacturers. After 2 years with my Aurora I flew the wrong model memory for the first time recently, luckily it was indoors with a depron model weigjing perhaps 20g. If some of you wonder about using an Aurora indoors, I have a Spektrum module from a Futaba FF8 that is modded to fit, there is a thread on RC Groups so I can use all the eflite and parkzone indoor bnf models.

Thread: Spring has sprung , who's been flying?
12/03/2016 21:20:51

I was up the field for 4 hours this afternoon, still a bit chilly, hat and gloves required but a grwat afternoon. One plane I took up was my electrified Ripmax Rapier to blow off the winter cobwebs. It certainly got the juices flowing again, especially when the World unexpectedly jumped up at one point. 200 Watts per pound with 15,000 rpm quickly gets your eye hand coordination back in the groove.

dsc03449 %28custom%29.jpg

Thread: Digital or analogue ESC...
07/03/2016 17:25:35

I do not believe we have digital or analogue inputs, everything is based on pulse width modulation, i.e. the Rx send out pulses of varying width. The output could be truly analogue, i.e. infinitely variable or discretized into a number of steps which some people may call digital, but as far as the servo or ESC is concerned it does not matter how the pulse width is set up, it just reads it.

If you are thinking of servos being analogue or digital, then that is nothing to do with the signal going into the servo from the RX, it is related to the control circuitry within the servo itself which measures what the servo arm position is with regard to where the Rx wants it to be and controls the power to the motor to keep the arm where you want it.

06/03/2016 17:39:08

Now all four wings have been dry assembled, it was time to pin them down over the plan, makes the last adjustments to get everything perfectly in place and glue everything together with Super Phatic. The Super Phatic did not come with the hypodermic nozzle like it used to so I bought a pack of 10 nozzles, 18g 38mm long off ebay. I started with the bottom wings and ailerons. The wings feature compression struts just like the full scale, how cute is that. Although of course, once finished no one will ever know. Doublers are added where the inter plane struts will attach. There are lots of neat CNC cut parts such as the ends of the wings, the shaped trailing edge section etc that make building these wings a dream. This is my first biplane and I was worrying about the wings, but no hassle.

Lower wing pinned down being glueddsc04084.jpg

Doublers being addeddsc04095.jpg

Compression strut just like the grown upsdsc04090.jpg

Thread: A wee test - how many brands can you name?
05/03/2016 14:20:34

Dear Leccyflyer,

My last post was a little tongue in cheek, I hope you took it in that staid. I enjoyed this wee test, many thanks. That last was was L of a difficult one.

Peter.

04/03/2016 23:00:28

L is for Lord Lucan, L is also for Leccyflyer who has also gone missingteeth 2

29/02/2016 07:33:48

Is it an old Laser Engines Logo.

28/02/2016 17:04:49

Moving onto the bottom wings now, the right hand one has been dry assembled. If anyone else with a Falcon Moth is following this, I have left out the servo mounting plates from between ribs 7a and 7a, if you are going to fit the thin wing servos per the Falcon plans then you need this in now, before gluing. The other thing I have changed is the ply root rib, 1a does not have the 1/2" square cut out for the spar in it, after having looked at various things on the plan and the length of my spar after cutting, I decided to cut the hole into the ply rib using the balsa rib 1 as a template otherwise I would have had to cut the spar down by 1/16". A couple of the photos show how the TE of the first 5 ribs follows the full scale, up with reflex at the root, slowly blending to the slightly under cambered profile for the rest of the wing. The ribs needed the holes for the spars sanding slightly otherwise they would have split forcing them onto the spars.

Dry assembled lower right (oops, starboard) wingdsc04078.jpg

Note, 1/2" square hole cut in ply root ribdsc04080.jpg

Trailing edge at root with reflex per full scaledsc04082.jpg

Thread: A wee test - how many brands can you name?
28/02/2016 09:18:30
Posted by cymaz on 28/02/2016 09:05:11:
Posted by PeterF on 28/02/2016 08:53:46:

C = Castle Creations

+1

And correct with nue motors......damn your goodsurprise

Edited By cymaz on 28/02/2016 09:07:21

Can't sort the L = ??????? out though.

28/02/2016 08:53:46

C = Castle Creations

28/02/2016 08:40:51

N = Neu Motors

Thread: which glue for wing ribs
26/02/2016 18:26:10

Unless it is to stop us mainlining super phatic. I knew RC modelling was addictive but not that addictive.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us