By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for PeterF

Here is a list of all the postings PeterF has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser cutting or CNC Router? (some ideas please)
16/01/2015 17:54:01
Posted by Tomtom39 on 15/01/2015 13:52:40:

Hello Chris,

Many thanks. I've been in touch with Oliver at HPC. He has given me plenty of food for thought (very helpful) . I'm in the process of downloading Inkscape and will see how I get on .

For what it is worth my son (bank of dad, i.e. me really) bought his 2 large machines from HPC for commercial use and they are good bits of kit and HPC are helpful.

16/01/2015 17:53:56
Posted by Tomtom39 on 15/01/2015 13:52:40:

Hello Chris,

Many thanks. I've been in touch with Oliver at HPC. He has given me plenty of food for thought (very helpful) . I'm in the process of downloading Inkscape and will see how I get on .

For what it is worth my son (bank of dad, i.e. me really) bought his 2 large machines from HPC for commercial use and they are good bits of kit and HPC are helpful.

15/01/2015 12:47:39

I am in a slightly different position, my son has started a business cutting kits for wargaming / model railways, originally with a small laser cutter off ebay, now a pair of 900 x 1200mm laser cutting machines. As I now had this resource at home I made use of it and have had various thicknesses of balsa, ply and light ply parts cut. As one offs there was a lot of time on the CAD files and also learning the cutting power and cutting speed combinations for various materials and thicknesses. It was good because the kit was there but I would not consider it otherwise compared to using my Proxxon fret saw. The one time it was very good was making up some mounting rings for a model with 4 carbon fibre EDFs in where the absolute accuracy and repeatability from hole to hole was really useful.

Thread: Falcon 1/4 scale Tiger Moth
14/01/2015 18:48:25

Who knows on completion time, the Mosquito in my avatar took over 3 years. Then there is always the issue of other things, my general winter aerobat has just taken a tumble and needs repairing / replacing. The initial flurry of work was over Christmas when I was on holiday for a few days, now it will slow back down now I am back to the grind.

Manish, good to make contact, your build is good and I have pinched the idea of using the Traplet wheels as they are the correct scale tyres rather than just using Dubro ones from your build log.

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
12/01/2015 03:53:18
Posted by Percy Verance on 11/01/2015 09:11:35:

P.S. Try as I might though, I still cannot access the Falcon Models site. I've been itching to look at the site, and particularly the Tiger Moth kit, but it seems elusive. All I'm getting at the moment is the sort of page you see when the site is down or being updated........ sad I've tried several times in the past few weeks, but it's always the same I'm afraid.

I took a pdf copy of the 2 website pages for the Tiger Moth as they had some good construction photos on. The Internet Archive Wayback Machine has not harvested these pages so they are gone unless anybody knows any other archiving systems. If anybody would like copies to see what the model is like then send me a private message with your email address in.

11/01/2015 23:20:43
Posted by alan alldritt on 11/01/2015 02:02:19:

Watching with interest.I too was about to purchase a full kit from Falcon when it appeared he had ceased producing and bought the Duncan Hudson plans from Traplet instead - only to find it was only the website being updated! - and will now probably do as you.What engine do you intend fitting?

ATB

Alan

I have a brand new Laser 150 to go in the model, the epoxy glass board is cut exactly to size for this engine with the bolt holes already drilled in the right place.

10/01/2015 23:48:07

Trevor,

Started my build log **LINK**

Peter.

Thread: Peterf's 1/4 scale Falcon Models Tiger Moth
10/01/2015 23:45:39

The engine bearer frames are now added, supporting the beech engine bearers – a man can never have enough clamps. The rest of the engine framing is added which are used to support the cowl and the epoxy glass engine bearer plate, predrilled and sized for a Laser 15 are also added. The control box / tunnel build continues with the rudder control arm being inserted and sheeting being applied to some of the tunnel top. Cutouts are made in the tunnel sheeting for the joysticks. Servos (Hitec HS-5625MG) are installed per the plan in the tunnel for the rudder and elevator operation. The elevator control arm is assembled and glued to the rear cockpit former.

dsc02985.jpg

dsc02993.jpg

dsc02996.jpg

dsc02997.jpg

dsc02989.jpg

dsc03000.jpg

dsc03001.jpg

10/01/2015 23:43:21

The first stage of the build is to make up the fuselage side frames as a hopefully matched pair. The front of the longerons are a pair of nicely machined ¼” ply components with slots cut in for the balsa framework and formers along with all the mounting holes for the strut fixings and undercarriage fixings. These are glued to the rest of the longerons. Before starting the build I bought a Proxxon FET saw, I wish I had bought one a long time ago, doing simple jobs like scarf joints becomes a real doddle. The front frame is then built up, followed by the rear. Two of the front formers are then glued in, the firewall and the rear of the cockpit and quite quickly a sense of the scale of the plane becomes apparent. Some of the metal fittings are also attached at this stage. The rest of the formers in the cockpit area are then added, trying hard to keep everything square and in it proper place. The control box / tunnel assembly is also started at this point in time, but it is not yet glued into the cockpit at this stage, it is slotted in so that some of the component parts are held square whilst the glue dries.

dsc02970.jpg

dsc02972.jpg

dsc02974.jpg

dsc02981.jpg

dsc02975.jpg

dsc02984.jpg

10/01/2015 23:41:48

The photos show some of the kit contents. All of the balsa and ply is CNC routed rather than laser cut giving very clean gluing surfaces and no instances of burn back on the thicker components. There are a large number of epoxy glass sheet components such as mounting plates, control arms and drilling jigs. There is a sheet of laser cut steel components which are items such as cabane strut fittings, wing mounts, interplane and flying wire brackets etc. There is a glass fibre cowl made in 5 sections with the side doors being free to open in a scale like manner and along with this is a glass fibre fuel tank and ABS moulded seats. There is a substantial hardware set to go with the kit including nearly all the nuts and bolts required and a scale sprung undercarriage and tailskid set, with the silver soldering completed, just requiring assembly. Finally, the flying wires are supplied from the Swiss company that draws them from stainless steel with proper threaded (left and right) ends and scale clevises.

dsc02962.jpg

dsc02964.jpg

dsc02956.jpg

dsc02958.jpg

dsc02954.jpg

dsc02960.jpg

dsc02966.jpg

dsc02969.jpg

10/01/2015 23:35:17

I have been planning on a ¼ scale Tiger Moth for some time and had my eyes on the Falcon Models kit, waiting to buy it when ,my bench was empty. Then Falcon Models shut down for a while just as I was ready to buy so I bought a Duncan Hutson kit from Traplet. As soon as Falcon Models started trading again, I bought a kit from Falcon Models and sold on the unstarted DH kit. The Falcon Kit really is an excellent kit, much closer to scale than many of the other ¼ scale kits. Things like the wing aerofoil are very close to scale, which does complicate things as there is less depth to install standard servos like for example the Flair kit. There are also some nice features, such as the cabane struts, which are proper small scale versions of the full ones using spruce with steel ends rather than piano wire with balsa covering.

19/12/2014 15:51:33

Ron,

Your model is absolutely gorgeous, all I have on mine so far is the beginnings of the fuselage side frames. I am really intrigued by your control mechanism for the ailerons I assume your are going to put scale discs underneath. I had tried to work something out in my head for this and got as far as using some of the service drive robotic gearing, using a bevel gear, but your system may be better. Do you have a single central servo that you connect to the control wires when you attach the wings. Any info would be welcome.

Peter.

19/12/2014 15:23:55

That is a nice moth to base your model on, look forward to seeing some photos if you can sort them out. See

**LINK**

for "Spirit of Pashley" being flown (thrown) about, quite amazing.

06/12/2014 08:48:03

I believe that a 150 will be ok for the Falcon Moth as it is a lighter model at 15lbs compared to say many Flair Moths that come out at 20lbs where people have seen the benefit of the 180, especially as they would have needed lead up front.

The Falcon Moth has several features to make it lighter such as wooden cabane struts rather than heavy gauge piano wire, 1/64" ply turtle decks rather than heavy fiberglass mouldings etc.

The Falcon Moth may be less craggy having a thinner wing section closer to scale than the thickened Flair and Traplet Moths.

Edited By PeterF on 06/12/2014 08:52:02

27/11/2014 12:13:28

I know of that, I meant that I would write a build log for my build, just not sure where I will post it.

26/11/2014 22:29:29

A similar story for me, I was going to buy the kit a couple of years back but kept waiting and then he closed down. I bought a Traplet Hutson kit but as soon as Falcon came back I bought the whole lot.

Trevor, I have started, new bench, plans laid out and glued the longerons to the preformed sections. I will see about a build log somewhere on t'net.

Thread: The 3 mosquitos
07/11/2014 22:31:28
Posted by Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 07/11/2014 22:09:16:

Peter - that is one nice looking model, but I have the feeling I have seen that somewhere else? Ah yes, RCscale builder blog, thats the one I'm using to build mine from lol.wink 2

Dylan, thanks for compliments, yes I put the blog on RCSB 1st then got into someone else's build log on RCG who did not want time sign up for RCSB so I copied the log over. Glad someone else is finding it useful, it makes it worth posting stuff. PM me if you have any questions.

Edited By PeterF on 07/11/2014 22:33:17

07/11/2014 22:31:24
Posted by Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 07/11/2014 22:09:16:

Peter - that is one nice looking model, but I have the feeling I have seen that somewhere else? Ah yes, RCscale builder blog, thats the one I'm using to build mine from lol.wink 2

Dylan, yes I put the blog on RCSB 1st then got into someone else's build log on RCG who did not want time sign up for RCSB so I copied the log over. Glad someone else is finding it useful, it makes it worth posting stuff. PM me if you have any questions.

07/11/2014 18:05:51

no issues with overheating as I put a lot of effort into a scoop to take air up and over the fins.

07/11/2014 12:21:41

Seeing your build photos reminded me of building mine a few years ago. It is a lovely flier and you will enjoy it I am sure. Mine has 2 x RCV60 SP engines, well hidden in the cowl, it is my avatar pic. Also attached a couple for interest.

1466readyformaiden.jpg

1467readyformaiden.jpg

1454checkingcofg.jpg

You can see my build log at **LINK**

Peter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us