By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff 1959

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff 1959 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Micro Aces Airco DH2
30/04/2018 22:40:47

I've built the SE5a, the Fokker DVII and the Fokker Triplane and they all arrived promptly but I guess they had been in production for a little while so I didn't have to wait for development.

microace planes 1.jpg

30/04/2018 21:34:26

Hi Robin,

I've asked Jon your question on the MA Facebook page through personal messenger, so you'll get your answer soon.

I've ordered both of the new kits, the Triplane is getting close to release as well as the DH2 I think.

I'm sure Jon is working hard to get the kits spot-on before he releases them.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 30/04/2018 22:03:49

Thread: what grass treatment do you use?
26/04/2018 21:27:55
Posted by jrman on 26/04/2018 21:01:05:

Nappies.wink 2

sheep in nappy.jpg

Now there's a thought laugh

26/04/2018 20:51:12
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 26/04/2018 20:34:07:

Best to check with the farmer that he is not on the Organic scheme before using any herbicide. He/she could lose his/her Organic subsidy due to your actions.

Thanks for the idea Tom, he did say it would be ok but he may not be aware of your point, so I'll check.

Alex: Another great idea, do you know a way of stopping them from pooing on the patch!

26/04/2018 18:04:54
We have a 50m square patch in the middle of a field with grazing sheep, unfortunately it's getting quite a few broad-leaved weeds in the grass.
I was wondering if any other club had this problem and what they did about it?
Thread: Durafly Slow Poke with aerial shots
23/04/2018 19:51:28

Here's my Slow Poke with a camera fixed into the cockpit, it's running on a 2200 3s pushed right to the front bringing the cg around the 80mm back from the leading edge, this makes for quite a docile model, anyway enjoy the video.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 23/04/2018 19:51:58

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 23/04/2018 20:03:25

Thread: Top Gun Hawk Missing Canopy
15/04/2018 22:16:34

Callsign PM sent

15/04/2018 21:39:06

Hi Craig,

Yes, it's the one in your link.

I'll contact Sarik and see what they (Barry) says. I don't have the base either so I'll make a tray as you suggest, did the original have moulded pilots and instruments panel? Just wondering.

Mine comes with the fixed undercart which I may leave off as we land on grass.

Reading the page on Servoshop (your link) it says the kit came with an instructional cd of nearly 80 pages, it would be good to have something to follow, do you have one, or a copy, by any chance? wink

15/04/2018 14:44:18
Question asked fingers crossed.
Any ideas on the need to upgrade?
15/04/2018 14:20:24
I've just acquired a brand new un-started kit of the BAE Hawk by Top-Gun RC.
It's beautifully moulded and uses a 70mm fan and 2842MB-1 3200kv brushless outrunner powering a 5-blade fan.
Should I try and improve things a bit with a bigger fan or go with the supplied unit?
Annoyingly the cockpit canopy is missing if anyone has oneI could buy?, whilst spares are available from CML the canopy isn't listed.

Thread: Microaces Fokker D.VII
07/04/2018 00:15:30
Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 06/04/2018 00:20:00:

I've been looking at these, and I think they are "ACE"..........

What was the build like Cliff ? It flies like a dream. Have you flown it inside, have I missed a thread ?

D.D.

Hi Dwain,

I didn't do a build thread but they go together very well, different to balsa, easier in many respects, I also have the SE5a and Fokker Triplane, this one is the easiest to put together due to only a small amount of rigging, although having said that the rigging wasn't a big deal really.

I usually fly inside but that's finished locally now till the Autumn so on calmish days out they'll come.

Have a look at Ron's thread, they all build very similarly, you don't need to procrastinate any longer, get one ordered up pronto (you can tell I'm a big fan!). The best part is they're British designed and manufactured.

05/04/2018 17:06:07
My Microaces Fokker D.VII outside for the first time.
Thread: Flyaway model, what would you do?
05/04/2018 13:16:51

Thanks everyone for your input I think my fellow pilots can all learn a thing or two from all these experiences.

Just to explain, the area the plane was flying over was pretty much open countryside with some high rolling hills so it was worth the battle. The model was visible against the sky but 'disappeared' when against the countryside as it performed unsuccessful manoeuvres to fly back.

The plane was set up for fail-safe but in the heat of the moment this was forgotten! Lesson learnt there.

BEB's comments regarding the CAA are very relevant and again, lesson learnt there.

Nobody expects to have a flyaway but knowing what to do when it happens is important for the safety of everyone concerned, getting your model back is a bonus of course.

This forum is brilliant!

05/04/2018 00:01:34

We had an experienced member recently who got a bit too far down wind and tried in vain to bring it back, his control inputs just made the matter worse.

In the end he had to just give the model up and try and get a bearing on its last known position/direction.

What would you have done? I know in the heat of the moment he kept battling to bring it back but would it have been more prudent to land (albeit crash land) whilst it was still in sight?

After a fruitless search we called in a member with a drone and camera next day and he was able to locate the model 1.2km away within five minutes (aren't they wonderful). An hour later it was back with the owner having landed inverted in a soft bush with a small ding in the leading edge, very lucky indeed.

Thread: Bomb Dropping from my Super 60
26/03/2018 17:50:19
Hi Piers, to answer your question, as the model was originally ic it's quite weighty what with the half inch square bearers etc. I have two battery options either one 5000mah 4 cell, which gives me over 12 minutes in the air, or two 2200mah 3 cells in parallel, as you can imagine I don't need any nose weight, the prop is a 12x6, the esc is 60amp and the motor is an AGM 2820/07. It cruises around on half throttle.
If you're building from scratch your's should be considerably lighter and probably fly for much longer.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 26/03/2018 17:51:50

26/03/2018 16:54:29
I didn't expect any comments to my thread but there's loads of good points.
As can be seen from my video, the bomb is small, approximately 8cm long and weighs 4g, including the attached ribbon, I don't think it reached much in the way of velocity.
I only posted the video because it actually landed between my feet!
25/03/2018 20:38:41

A fun morning was had by all as I placed the model for a bomb drop.

Thread: Turnigy Trust 70a something weird
09/03/2018 15:52:37

I've reprogrammed it and tried in three different planes, same symptoms, it's now binned, thanks for all your ideas.

Incidentally I thought it was new but when I removed the insulation to desolder the connectors it was obviously not new, there being as much solder on the outside of the connectors as inside lol.

08/03/2018 20:54:10

Yes, wiggled all the cables and wires as well, as soon as the Trust esc went in the servos slowed and the low voltage reappears! Would there be any internal settings I could try and change in the esc?

08/03/2018 20:32:35
Posted by Denis Watkins on 08/03/2018 20:24:18:

Check for a stalled servo Cliff

Denis I pulled all the servos one at a time eventually leaving just one plugged in, didn't seem to make any difference.

But with all the servos reconnected and a different esc I could wiggle all the servos and no problems?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues