By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff 1959

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff 1959 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Auto follow drone
02/01/2017 01:04:19

I know very little of drones but I was wondering if an auto follow / track drone could keep up with my rc plane for some great aerial shots and what sort of device would be in the plane for the drone to track?

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 02/01/2017 01:04:56

Thread: Parachute Jump for Santa
19/12/2016 23:48:20

When our office became loaded with Christmas decorations a new Santa appeared, I decided he needed a little fresh air so 'borrowed' him for the weekend.

The idea was to help him succeed in his first parachute descent.

I fixed him to the fuselage with a large rubber band looped onto my rotating cockpit camera, this would allow me to rotate the camera, the band would release and he would fall.

The parachute itself was strapped up by three turns of string and tied off, once loose Santa would spin three times, freefall until the parachute opened and land safety ... well I'm blowed it actually worked!

Here's the video from yesterday, it was a beautiful day for some fresh air!

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 19/12/2016 23:49:47

Thread: Thinking of getting back into the game....
15/12/2016 18:11:16

Things have changed a lot methinks. I too returned 12 months ago after a long period away and was amazed to find how things had progressed both in value for money and miniaturisation. Park flyers are good fun but you can't beat the camaraderie of a club scene ... I do both actually.

Thread: Training Log Book
15/12/2016 18:06:45

Thanks everyone, we'll take your views onboard at our next meeting, but we need to do something else to try and encourage those members who seem reluctant to train to a mimimum standard.

Thanks Andy that's just what I was looking for.

Thread: Santa Goes Flying
15/12/2016 00:08:16

A beautiful start to the day today so 'grab a Santa' and get up the patch.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 15/12/2016 00:08:36

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 15/12/2016 00:09:01

Thread: Training Log Book
13/12/2016 16:39:08

Does any club use a 'log book' system for trainee pilots working towards their BMFA A cert?

Thread: What socket?
29/11/2016 10:20:21

Thanks, ordered.

28/11/2016 21:19:14

I want to make an adaptor to check the voltage left in my Turnigy nano-tech 160mah 1S 25~40C Lipos and am a little confused as to what female socket I need.

There seems to be several sizes of small sockets available on HK and Ebay in bunches of five for male and female (I only need one female!).

Or perhaps someone has one I could buy?

Thread: Silverlit Charge Circuit Not Working
19/11/2016 01:02:13

The flight battery charges from the transmitter via a little lead so now separate charger. As the green LED lights very briefly I agree, it must be working, the problem may lie in the switch but I've just finished removing the original battery (which is probably US now after six years of sitting in its box) and wiring up a socket for an external battery.

This has got it working ok but it'll probably fly a little faster with the extra weight.

Thanks for your very well thought out answer though.

18/11/2016 22:46:40

I've decided to fit a small external battery that I can charge from my big charger, problem circumvented!

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 18/11/2016 22:56:01

17/11/2016 22:32:32

Also I've just noticed that when I switch the circuit on the green charge LED very briefly flashes as the slide switch moves across.

17/11/2016 22:27:53

Hi Denis,

Thanks for your interest, I set the multimeter to Diode and the display shows '1' I then checked the LEDs, the one that I know is working starts with a reading of around 1.8 and quickly drops to 1, the one that doesn't light up shows a reading of 1.642 and remains constant ... is this indicative of a problem?

As for the output lead it's a socket on the end so no pins to bend, but there is no voltage showing from the charge lead soldered connections on the circuit board whether the plane is plugged in or not.

17/11/2016 21:20:32

I have an old Silverlit Sopwith Biplane new still in its box but there seems to be a problem with the charging ... the green light is supposed to illuminate to indicate a charge is taking place when the charge lead from the transmitter is plugged in but nothing happens.

The batteries in the transmitter are new and the voltage output indicates this to be so, I've taken the back off and put my meter on the outputs from the board to the charging plug and I get no reading so presumably the problem is somewhere in the board?

Any ideas anyone.

Thread: Battery checker for 1 cell battery
16/11/2016 22:33:00

Hi Denis, yes it does help.

John does it work as it should? ie will show low percentages? I only ask because a fellow flyer found his didn't read below 60%!

16/11/2016 21:14:21

I'm doing a bit of indoor flying using the Turnigy Nano-Tech 160mah battery, the battery checker I use for bigger batteries only covers 2-6 cells, what, if anything, do other flyers use?

Thread: Getting Bored
12/11/2016 10:10:41
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/11/2016 09:05:31:

As a side comment it is sad that a club seems to be so big that one "Doesn't know another member well enough to talk to him. In a small club we all know each other well

I'll talk to anyone especially about planes it's just that I've only been back with the club for a year and only seen the gentleman probably three times at most and it was just a passing comment he made, it wasn't till I was driving home that I started to think about it, hence my post.

As another posert said most clubs have a hardcore who have always been there and others come and go (and return like me after many years), I'm not sure how many years he has been a member to get bored but I still build and get great satisfaction in seeing my creation in the air just flying circuits (boring!! not), so I think I'll point him to this thread as there are some great replies, thanks to you all, and we'll see what happens

11/11/2016 22:29:17

At the field today I was surprised to here one of our older members say he was getting board with flying! He flies both ic and electric sports planes.

Another member present suggested getting a 3D model but he wasn't too keen so what's to be done?

So this set me thinking: Perhaps introducing a few 'obstacles' such as a simple limbo setup or a simple spot for spot landing etc but what do you do?

Like most of us he doesn't build models (although he is retired and would probably have the time), I was thinking this might give him an added direction and momentum to enjoy this brilliant hobby of ours.

I don't know him well enough and I'm not sure if flying scale, or multi's, or aerobatics would be a route to follow?

What would other forum members suggest/do?

Thread: Stashed In The Attic
26/10/2016 17:48:42

One of our Club's elder statesmen mentioned to me in conversation recently that he had over 70 models in his loft and he's still building 'em!

Thread: Dopey question from a leccy beginner
26/10/2016 17:45:10

I thought this was going to be a question on Doping tissue, now I'm showing my age lol.

Thread: Wayfarer Biplane with camera in cockpit
26/10/2016 17:41:19

Nobody's noticed at 9.19 my wheels clipped the top of the electric fence, an inch lower and it would have ended in many tears lol (You need to click on the Youtube logo and you'll see the timer).

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 26/10/2016 17:42:21

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us