By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff 1959

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff 1959 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What can I build to fit this lot?
30/05/2016 10:00:10

Hi Dave,

Funny you should suggest the Firefly, overnight I recalled having built a flying disc from foam (albeit for a 40ic) ... very similar, that's the way to go for this lot I think.

29/05/2016 23:15:25

Very funny lol, but too draggy!

29/05/2016 20:56:29

receiver.jpgspeed controller.jpg

What could I build with this little lot. I've been given a five year old 'Belt-CP E Sky' helicopter that's been in its box broken for two years.

I've pulled out the radio gear and this is what I get, four micro servos (plus a couple of new spare ones), a speed controller (E Sky EK1-0350 25amp), a receiver (E Sky 35mhz 6 channel receiver), an brushless out-runner (EK5-0006 450) and a gyro(!).

I'm thinking it would have to be quite light, it might be fun to put together something aerobatic, possibly made of foam?

flight pack.jpg

Thread: the swastika ?
29/05/2016 20:37:12

We had a German student staying with us about 15 years ago and he was amazed to see a swastika pictured on the tail of a plane in an advert in RCME, saying in his country that would not be allowed!

Thread: Retro fitting flaps to a Super 60
26/05/2016 20:40:12

Hi Peter,

Great pics of your LoCamp, thanks for sharing.

Our field does have a slope although the lift isn't brilliant due to the hill in front but we are pretty much surrounded by slopes. I cut my slope soaring teeth on one of them back in '75, happy days. Used yet another one for my first paramotor flight so the views from the cam bring back loads of memories! It certainly is a beautiful part of the World Robin.

The fence is electric, we don't usually put it down just for an hour or two in the evening but it does come down on the weekend, as regards your question re. using the fence as a 'crash barrier' I really couldn't comment lol.

Josip: Interesting comments, thanx.

26/05/2016 08:44:56

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your comments and just to wet your appetite further here's a video from a couple of evenings ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BFIifM1jn8

(copy and paste into browser)

Enjoy.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 26/05/2016 09:04:35

25/05/2016 12:48:16

Mike, that's why I added them where I did, they really slow the plane as Peter says. Also it's good to slow down prior to parachute release.

25/05/2016 12:26:48

Dave, I hope my next passenger doesn't see your comment next time I fly my full-size laugh

24/05/2016 23:48:43

Hi Peter,

Read in the spirit it was intended ... I take on board all of your points of course, I acquired the model with ailerons already fitted, the flaps are just a bit of fun really (I like tinkering).

I've added a little hatch on the bottom which is remotely controlled for letting a parachute go as well as a camera mount between the undercarriage legs (I like tinkering).

I've just had a look at the Jackdaw, but like a streamlined Super 60, I see where you're coming from.

See you on the field.

24/05/2016 18:53:33

super 60.jpg

Here's a picture of the whole plane, I painted the design as a homage to the vintage planes of yesteryear.

24/05/2016 15:23:21

Hi Mike,

The hinges are just as pictured simply glued to little balsa blocks (angled otherwise the hinges don't close enough to allow the flap to go parallel to the wing), if you're making a wing I would build the flaps into the structure, inboard of the ailerons, you could still use the same hinges or use the covering in the normal way. Are you adding ailerons?

hinges.jpg

23/05/2016 23:53:40

Tried it out this evening, 30% flaps slows it nicely but 80% and it virtually hovvers! The model displays no sign of tip stalling. Flying doesn't seem to have been impaired at all with the flaps in this position beneath the wing.

22/05/2016 17:29:44

super 60 wing flaps 80 degree.jpgsuper 60 wing flaps 30 degree.jpgsuper 60 wing flaps.jpg

super 60 wing flaps up.jpg

super 60 wing flaps 30 degree.jpg

Ok, this is what I've done, it's going to be fun testing it out.

20/05/2016 23:35:33

Another idea is to hinge the flaps like that on a Stuka, either behind and below the wing or simply under the wing with a gap.

20/05/2016 21:40:11

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that idea, I was thinking of hinging them using some sort of iron-on covering but hinging from the main spar is something I didn't even consider, how big were they?

I could also hinge them on the trailing edge but that would like untidy from above, how did they affect the trim hinging so far forward and how effective where they in that position?

20/05/2016 21:29:59

Hi,

I have inherited an old Super 60 which I've electrified, she flies very well but as I've added a camera and a parachute bay along with the large battery she comes in a little to quickly when landing.

My plan is to add inboard flaps to slow things down a little, the trailing edge is built up and perhaps only 35mm deep so not really big enough to cut flaps into. I don't want to strip off the nice old-looking nylon and build up some flaps and try to match the covering which would be almost impossible.

I was wondering if adding flaps to the underside of the wing made from, say 1/16" ply to the depth of the out-board ailerons, about 2", would work.

Of course they would cause a bit of turbulence when flat against the wing because they wouldn't be flush but not enough to worry about on this old bus?

Any comments or ideas?

Thread: Overlander shaft shortening?
18/04/2016 21:28:12

Thanks for all your help, in the end I did the plastic bag and fine angle grinder technique, only took a minute, job done.

16/04/2016 11:44:11

I have an Overlander T3548/05 and the drive shaft seems to have two positions, as I want the prop close to the front of the motor the shaft sticks out at the back by approx 14mm.

My question: As I need the space is it ok to cut off the piece sticking out the back and what is the best way to do it? I was thinking of wrapping the motor in clingfilm to protect from debris and going at it gently with a 1mm cutting disc in my angle grinder allowing it to cool if necessary.

Any ideas or comments welcome.

overlander.jpg

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 16/04/2016 11:45:13

Thread: Keilkraft Super 60
21/10/2015 21:22:13

Thanks for all your replies, just for the record the plane weighs in at just under 4lb with motor and battery but then it was built for ic!

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 21/10/2015 21:22:37

20/10/2015 21:20:12

I've just acquired a very fine condition Keil Kraft Super 60, probably 20+ years old, it's covered in iron-on nylon by the look of it, she has ailerons, rudder and elevator but a ic motor on the nose, what sort of motor do you think would be good, I have 3s lipos already, would they be capable of getting her off the ground, maybe two together?

Any advice welcome.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 20/10/2015 21:23:03

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues