By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff 1959

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff 1959 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Build, Part 7, Covering the New Bits
09/02/2020 15:23:41

This video is a little long but if you settle in with a coffee you'll appreciate the nuances! Anyway I'm covering the rudder and fin with iron-on covering, tissued the hatch and finished the nose. Like and Subscribe for more updates, thanks.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Build, Part 6, Top Hatch and Motor Mount
08/02/2020 19:10:55

Cracking on with the Mannock build, this video shows the motor mount going in and the replacement of the missing top hatch.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Build, Part 5, Fin, Rudder and Battery Tray
06/02/2020 17:56:54

Day off today so cracked on with the missing tail feathers and battery tray.

Thread: I guess there is no problem
05/02/2020 20:27:10

Microwaving the package should sterilise it.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Biplane Build Part 4, Rodding the Wing Ribs
05/02/2020 20:25:09

This is how I made the holes for the servo wires down through the wing ribs in the, already covered, wings of my DB Mannock Biplane, it all worked out pretty well with the little tool I'd bought ages ago.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Biplane Acquisition Introduction
05/02/2020 06:24:02

Thanks for the info Pat, very interesting, if we had a decent pond nearby I wouldn't mind having a go at flying from water.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Biplane Build Part 3
05/02/2020 06:20:28

Thanks for the tips guys, the model does have a good dollop of dihedral which doesn't help the roll response for sure. I'll probably mix in some rudder although I quite enjoy putting it in manually.

These old birds can be quite interesting can't they!

04/02/2020 19:34:37

I'm continuing the original builder's construction, in this video I'm putting together some ailerons and looking at the servo bays. Part 4, making holes for the servo wires in a wing that's already covered is on the way soon.

Thread: Boddington Mannock Biplane Acquisition Introduction
02/02/2020 19:07:44

When I saw this model at a swap meet I didn't know what it was but I was taken with the 'crudeness', typical of a WW1 fighter, it turned out to be a David Boddington design from the 80's, built to last! Anyway she's been abandoned at some stage and parts have gone missing but now she's gone to a loving home and it's only a matter of time before she'll feel the wind beneath her wings. I will be documenting the completion starting with this introduction, be sure to subscribe to follow the shortish journey.

Thread: Making holes through your ribs!
02/02/2020 15:36:29

Ok, thanks for all your ideas, I've slept on it and the job is now done, I'll keep you all in suspense until I've uploaded that part of the build video, you won't have to wait long I promise except to say I'm pleased with the result as I used something I bought some time ago for a totally different purpose!

01/02/2020 21:55:10

Wing ribs, that is!

I've acquired a part-finished plane. The wings are covered in nylon. The tip ailerons are cut-out (and missing!) from the wing. I don't know how the original builder intended to activate them, they're too far out for torque rods as well.

I plan on using individual servos as is the modern practice, but how am I going to make holes through the ribs for the servo wires?

The only way I can think of, unless you know a cunning way? is to remove some covering from the angled wing-tip and slowly cut a hole through each rib using a sharpened tube which will need to be about 30in in length and hope it doesn't go off course too much.

Don't you just love these little challenges?

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
01/02/2020 20:34:56

My Guillow's Nieuport 11 rc conversion waiting for a good maiden opportunity.

15805890914992204829338094394879.jpg

Thread: From a Wing to a Disc
30/01/2020 09:05:40

That's right Peter, I built something similar in the 70's out of one inch foam covered in brown paper and then silver film, it was very strong and so docile to fly you could have learnt on it, that one had an OS40 up front.

29/01/2020 21:54:56

I've replaced the wings with a disc, it seems to glide ok, so roll in the next indoor session.

Thread: How to remove warp in wings
28/01/2020 09:13:55

I'll definitely give it a go, I didn't realise the dope would soften. I didn't fancy trying to remove it. Actually the top wing is painted both sides so I'll have to play it by ear, thanks for your advice, I'll report back how I get on.

27/01/2020 22:22:20

Thanks Brian, great idea, I used a heat gun on my film-covered Camel wing but then you're basically resetting the film and, by default, it pulls the wing into a new twist.

I wouldn't have thought about trying it on a doped wing as I wouldn't have expected the nylon to unstick allowing the wing to find a new position, or am I over-thinking this?

27/01/2020 20:59:58

I picked up an unfinished DB Mannock last week, both wings have a large twist in one panel, they are both finished in doped nylon, one wing is painted in matt paint.

Any ideas on how I can get the warps out without having to try and strip the nylon?

20200121_092020.jpg

Thread: Guillow's RC Conversion Complete
27/01/2020 19:55:53
The final video before the maiden, I'm quite pleased as she's turned out. All the specs. are at the end of the video for those who are interested. Thanks for watching and be sure to subscribe to see the maiden flight.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 27/01/2020 19:56:14

Thread: Cog problem with foam board Versa Sorted!
26/01/2020 15:50:17

A good solution Bob, let's hope it's not too vulnerable. wink

Thread: Connecting Push Rods on Small Models
26/01/2020 15:49:07

This is how I do it, it's not my idea just that someone asked me to show them!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!