By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff 1959

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff 1959 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DB Mannock Build Final Part
19/03/2020 19:55:55

Here it is at last, if you enjoyed this final build video be sure to subscribe (it's Free) to witness the maiden flight!

Thread: DB Major Mannock
16/03/2020 22:35:30

That's looking really impressive, makes my standard Mannock look a bit of a tiddler, can't wait to see the finished model, are you fitting ailerons on both wings?

Thread: Decals (lettering)
14/03/2020 18:43:17

I did a short video on how I accurately place a vinyl sticker fyi, search YouTube for 'How to Apply a Vinyl Sticker', (I can't put a link on my mobile!), Cliff Harvey RC Planes, it works for big stickers just as well.

Thread: How to Make Wheels, Mannock Build Part 14
14/03/2020 13:48:32
Posted by J D 8 on 14/03/2020 13:13:40:

Hi Cliff, If you have trouble keeping your glued tires together large rubber O rings are available. Their normal use is mounting exhausts on large vans and trucks. Can be had in many sizes and thickness.

Cheers, John.

Thanks John, I did consider those actually but the Neoprene is a lot lighter, plus if I pulled the joint with all my strength I don't think it would break at the joint, the CA seemed to soak into the 'end grain'

14/03/2020 13:41:11

Thanks, I couldn't resist bolting it up this morning before work, doesn't it look nice when you start bolting things together?

Mannock uc.jpg

14/03/2020 09:15:13

Thanks Doc, it just seemed easier at the time but you're right of course. It's also a lot more fun lol. Sorry about the thumbnail picture by the way, you should have seen the other contenders!

13/03/2020 19:19:37

I was surprised at the cost of the larger scale-type wheels for my Mannock build so this is how I made my own for less than a quarter of the price of shop bought.

Thread: Microaces Battery Placement
11/03/2020 19:48:03

There seems to be a bit of interest around the different Microace's models and the battery placements so I've produced a video for the seven I have.

Thread: How to Paint Roundels
11/03/2020 19:45:39

How about making small lettering and numbering? Say 1in high?

Thread: Microace's SE5a Flies Again
11/03/2020 09:35:44

Hi Chris,

Here's my front view, I think you'll find the dihedral is the same as yours. It was the first MA model I'd built and the wings were twisted all over the place, once I'd corrected this things improved dramatically.

I was able to release the strut mountings using lighter fluid (it dissolves Uhu Por) where necessary and re-position the wings so they were at least the same both sides. You have to fiddle with the rigging a little although I didn't have to slacken it off at all.

The model has had a lot of abuse and, as you can see from the picture the top wing isn't exactly flat although it's pretty equally misalinged.

Can you add a similar picture of yours?

Jon's advice would also work as long as the rigging could be re-adjusted and the wings are set up correctly.

se5a with lines.jpg

10/03/2020 23:28:22

That's another good idea Martin, I didn't know masking film existed! So would you cut a circle on the bench them peel it off and apply it?

Thread: Microace's SE5a Flies Again
10/03/2020 22:29:21

Following a 'brick-out' operation the little SE5a is airworthy again after a bit of a long lay-off. Enjoy the spectacle and tell me what you think of the music lol. Do consider subscribing if you enjoy RC fun times ... it's Free you know?

10/03/2020 17:46:28

That's very interesting guys, I've never heard of a springbow nib but I can see how useful it would be, thanks for the suggestion.

Thread: And now, here's the Lidl cheap glider twin power conversion!
10/03/2020 17:41:01

Very good Bonzo, it should really shift with two motors, is there no end to what these little aeroplanes are capable of? laugh

09/03/2020 23:24:13

This is how I painted the roundels on my David Boddington Mannock Biplane.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 09/03/2020 23:25:28

Thread: DB Mannock Build, Part 13, Undercarriage and Painting
08/03/2020 17:26:54

Real progress now as I bend and solder the undercarriage and get some paint on the wings and fuselage.

Thread: My RC Rubber Conversion Autogyro Test Flight
05/03/2020 19:42:47

Hi Mike, that makes a pretty big difference, thanks for the advice I'll give it a go.

04/03/2020 23:51:57

Here is the follow up from my build video, it's the first attempt at getting off the ground, enjoy, like and subscribe for more of radio control fun.

Thread: DB Mannock Build Part 12 Struts, Wings and Paint
03/03/2020 20:48:57

More 'Mannocking' done, this time making the struts, finish the covering and getting some paint on.

Thread: Painting over Oratex
03/03/2020 13:37:49

I've just starting painting my DB Mannock with Valspar Interior Matt, seems to 'soak-in' well enough and really cheap for a testing pot that's big enough for at least three models, also B and Q can mix from hundreds of shades.

I may go over it with a matt lacquer spray as long as it doesn't react of course.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!