By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cliff 1959

Here is a list of all the postings Cliff 1959 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Receiver losing bind with servo use
28/08/2017 22:32:45

Thanks, I'll try removing the horn, it's closed loop actually so it could be tightening up a little.

28/08/2017 22:10:01

I have a pair of Corona servos (DS339HV)  in a small plane which was running 35meg. I've decided to drop in a Spektrum 2.4 receiver for the finer adjustments possible.

Strange thing happens when I move the rudder servo the receiver momentarily loses bind, then it's ok for a couple of seconds then it loses bind again. If the servo is motionless the elevator servo works flawlessly.

I've tried switching outputs and a different (larger) servo plugged in, it only throws a wobbly with this particular servo, I've even tried another Spektrum receiver with a different spec, same result.

So is it possible for a servo to make the receiver lose bind and if so, what can be done?

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 28/08/2017 22:13:45

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
22/08/2017 22:20:44
Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 22/08/2017 21:47:03:
From the Edinburgh fringe-

"Just lately I haven't been close to my Father, good job really because last week he stood on a landmine"

Don't wish to be a party pooper Mark but that's not very good taste, I'm not laughing now and I wouldn't have laughed at the fringe.

Thread: Hi there. Se5a question
22/08/2017 22:17:22

Hi Howard,

Can't answer your question but to post a pic go to the top of the page and click on 'Albums', this is where you have to upload pics to before you can import them into your post, this is done by clicking on the camera symbol contained within this reply box, easier to do than say.

Thread: Vintage plan or kit for .2cc diesel
22/08/2017 20:43:08

**LINK**

How about a little Zipper kit, I could post to you tomorrow morning.

Thread: Spektrum AR600 Aerial Lengths
21/08/2017 21:13:13

Thanks Denis, didn't think to google it!

21/08/2017 20:59:01

I have acquired an (old) Spektrum AR600 2.4 6-channel receiver but the aerial lengths seem a bit odd to me, one is 21cm with 3cm bared at the end the other is 6cm with 3cm bared at the end.

Is this correct? (Ignore the bolt it's only there is keep the aerial in the picture!)

spektrum receiver.jpg

Thread: Flight Time Cut in Half!
20/08/2017 21:09:50
Posted by PatMc on 20/08/2017 20:45:41:

Cliff, you mentioned in the OP running at mid throttle for around 22 minutes. Does this mean that you normaly fly until the LVC cuts the power or the power drops & you then land ?

Hi PatMc, I can land after 22 minutes to leave about 30% in the battery., the motor at this throttle setting is drawing about 2.5amps if memory serves, it seems as spritely at this end of the flight as at the start.

This morning I flew for nine minutes with 70% left on the new battery.

20/08/2017 19:57:01

The batteries are 1300 Zippy's with less than 10 balanced charges each, I do leave them fully charged though and they were both puffed a bit.

I just tried a new battery and all is well again, nice long flight times, I deduce the batteries are knackered, perhaps leaving them fully charged is the reason?

Thread: Sheep Eating Cars
20/08/2017 19:48:09

All very interesting replies but no real answer to the problem, I've borrowed one of those car/dog/squirrel/badger sonic repellers to see if that has any effect, you never know.

The sheep are eating the cars hence 'sheep eating cars'!

Thread: Awful landings - advice requested
17/08/2017 21:19:51

For what it's worth we tend to land in the lift due to locations, this is done by crabbing in low, may be a couple of feet of the ground, and when you turn into the wind for a second or two you'll be hovering and losing height and, bingo, you're on the ground! Perhaps easier to say than do but if you're too high you just go round again and come in a little lower.

Thread: Sheep Eating Cars
17/08/2017 20:27:21
Posted by john stones 1 on 17/08/2017 20:15:45:

You want one of these on committee.

Edited By john stones 1 on 17/08/2017 20:16:17

Very good John but I don't think the farmer would be too impressed, perhaps a card-board cut out laugh

17/08/2017 19:45:43

We rent a patch from the sheep farmer which we surround by an electric fence, this keeps them off very nicely.

We have to park however in the main field which has curious sheep wandering around.

Question: Do you have sheep in your parking area and, if so, do they bother parked vehicles and, if yes, have you found a way to keep them at bay?

By 'bother' I mean they tend to chew on any piece they can get their teeth around, usually around the edges of vehicles, this, understandably can be costly.

Thread: Flight Time Cut in Half!
14/08/2017 20:26:15

My little KK Pixie uses the running gear from an old Ultrafly Outrage, the motor is a brushless B/06/10, the ESC is the one that came with the model.

I fly it on a 3S 1300 battery, on a mid-throttle setting this gives me around 22 minutes in the air.

Flying yesterday in perfect conditions and cruising around on half throttle I lost motor power and glided safely down, the BEC seemed to cut in, I'd only been in the air seven minutes.

I tried my second battery, which was also fully charged and got a similar result.

Today, having charged the batteries I plugged in my watt meter and got these readings, at half throttle it ran for approx. seven minutes, whilst drawing 2.5A at 26watts, watching the voltage it dropped to 9.0v when the BEC cut in, this is probably correct.

So my question is what could have changed since the last time I flew, why all of a sudden the truncated flight time?

Any ideas?

Thread: Lidl XL glider conversions - Having fun with a 7.99 Lidl Glider converted to Radio Control
11/08/2017 22:22:56

Eventually got mine into the air last Sunday, great FUN for eight quid.

Thread: What's flying over your house
09/08/2017 22:17:05

Red Arrows flying over Dartmoor after a display in Falmouth, Cornwall, sloping at the time, roughly 19:00.

Thread: whats safest and why
20/07/2017 22:23:05
Posted by Martin Harris on 20/07/2017 21:56:51:

What was the supposed logic of changing to B - it certainly escapes me!

I'd be very interested to know this as well, I agree with Frank 90 deg clockwise, I would feel most uncomfortable with 'A' and Tom, I'd see you in the next club as well, there's no way I would be in 'B' unless I was the only one there.

Thread: Guest pilot from Switzerland
11/07/2017 11:03:43

We had a request from a holidaying Swiss pilot, Rene and his wife Mia, if they could attend our field to fly an electric glider, Rene usually flies either in the Alps or Spain, what a beautiful machine it was too, here's a short video of the morning.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 11/07/2017 11:04:24

Thread: Hobbyking BEC Puzzle on J3 Cub
18/06/2017 21:09:01
Connected both and had four good flights today, thanks for the help.
17/06/2017 15:22:00

dsc_0221.jpg

This is a close up of the 'mystery circuit' tapped off of the battery wire the black and red wires read 5v. The picture below shows the esc with the usual connector for the receiver (throttle), The black and red wire read nothing, but the black and white read 3v, this, I'm guess is not right, as the white wire should be the signal? As I said above if I plug the plug reading 5v into the receiver it powers up the servos but not the esc, so Bob, when I plug the plug from the esc into socket 1 and the 'mystery' plug into a spare receiver socket the motor now fires up as it should but am I not putting a total of 8v into the receiver?

The plane is designed to have the option of an fpv camera so I think the 'mystery' circuit powers that via the 5v plug, if I had that installed then I wouldn't be able to power the receiver on just 3v so, yes, I can fly with both plugs in but a) will it cook the receiver and b) the esc should be giving 5v surely?

dsc_0222.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us