By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FilmBuff

Here is a list of all the postings FilmBuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
12/08/2019 07:57:57

I have tried to make EV of PHEV for me as a company car driver - but it just wouldn't work based on my 20K mileage a year.

I have compromised and just ordered a self charging petrol hybrid - a Toyota C-HR.

Benefit in Kind is a reasonable 22% and I will save around £1100 per year compared to my diesel car in tax alone.

On an extended test drive - Toyota pulled off a neat trick in their internet connected car. After the test drive of around 16 mixed urban and dual carriageway miles - I was shown a print out of the results. I had averaged 68.7 mpg and the electric motor had been "involved" for 70% of the time. Full results and a google map video of my actual route showing when the electric motor was used was simultaneously emailed to me. Very neat and TBH was the deal clincher - along with the actual car, of course.

Now the small print. It looks like the data also includes when the motor is being used to charge the battery as well as powering the car. But I was impressed with the seamless interaction between motor and engine during the drive and how much the motor is used during setting off from rest and the typical crawling around a carpark type driving.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
08/08/2019 09:32:32
Posted by J D 8 on 08/08/2019 00:16:41:

Just put together a Parkzone F4F Wildcat with similar rotund body and will be taking extra care after your experience Col.

Those grip points on the Buffalo may not be such a good idea. The Wildcat has none so you have to hold it behind the wing where the fuselage is narrower and your hand can fit around.

All the best with your recovery. John.

Ouch baby! Very ouch!

@John I have a PZ Wildcat. I find I can hold the fuselage under the wing / cg in the usual manner without any issues, It gets away with a medium push and around 50% throttle no problems at all.

Thread: Can you charge a LiPo through its balance lead?
01/08/2019 11:31:14
Posted by Martin Harris on 01/08/2019 10:51:08:

Technically yes, if you have a charger which will allow it but it's not good practice to leave a battery connected (unless your "arming configuration" takes care of this?) both on safety and battery life grounds. Charging a LiPo in situ has always been discouraged as it increases the risk of fire during charging - although few of us will have been unlucky enough to have a charging fire, there have been reports of such over the years.

The battery will be fully disconnected from the ESC - but it will be in situ.

So I'm thinking 0.5A to 1.0A through the balance lead will not be harmful?

Edited By FilmBuff on 01/08/2019 11:31:49

01/08/2019 11:26:11

Thanks guys. I'm aware of the issues with in situ charging but I'm thinking a 0.5A - 1.0A charge through the balance lead would not be harmful?

01/08/2019 10:32:16

I have a Pulsar Pro electric glider that requires the nose cone (complete with motor, battery ESC etc) to be slid of each time you want access to the large 3S 4200 mAH battery.

Then you have to disconnect it from the ESC (due to a connector arming configuration) before it can be charged - using a bullet to Deans converter. Quite a faff.

I use a balance lead extender into the wing pylon so I can check the status of the battery - and was wondering if I could slow charge the battery in situ via the balance lead.

The Pulsar is so good that I have only charged the flight battery once. After three flying sessions and around three hours of flying the battery is still showing 80% charge.

Thread: Who says flying thermal soarers is boring?
20/07/2019 12:06:19

Take a look at this F5J comp. As you lose points for altitude via the motor - you try and launch as low as possible to make the maximum time in 10 min slot.

Edited By FilmBuff on 20/07/2019 12:07:19

20/07/2019 11:51:13
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 20/07/2019 00:09:51:

FilmBuff - the heading says thermal soarers and yet you have a hot liner in your video. Rather different don't you think? Don't get me wrong, I used to fly full size thermal soarers and it was a fantastic sport but have yet to fly model ones.

Yep - as the others have said - no hotliners used in the making of this thread!

19/07/2019 11:14:22
Posted by Speedster on 19/07/2019 09:19:18:

Not boring laugh

Arthobby Silent 3,4m

Cheers

Soren

yes I Love watching your videos - especially the ones flying from the sand dunes on the beach

17/07/2019 13:56:07
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 17/07/2019 13:32:05:

Of course thermal soaring can be fun, hours of pleasure can be had looking for them after the overambitious use of a strong thermal thinking

Agreed. Still my favourite aspect of model flying. Love powered scale and aerobatics etc - but picking up lift at low level and working it up is just the best.

17/07/2019 13:25:41
Thread: Pulsar 3.2 electric glider.
03/07/2019 13:12:20

Old thread I know - but I have just bought one of these second hand.

Looks absolutely gorgeous!

Thread: Local Model Shops
03/07/2019 13:00:27
Posted by kc on 03/07/2019 12:49:24:

The point is that hobby shop owners & staff are more enthusiasts than salesmen, so they are not like the commission salesmen who will do anything for a sale (e.g double glazing salesmen)

But then again - unless all LMS owners are doing it as a "vanity project" they have to make money to pay rent, but stock and provide for their families.

We all buy things. Some of spend large amounts of money. So it's not about selling - but creating an environment and experience where customers are able and comfortable to buy. Big difference.

Edited By FilmBuff on 03/07/2019 13:00:52

03/07/2019 10:11:52

I agree with the OP.

I spent a year working in Huntingdon and so visited a well known shop / online outlet. Over that 12 months - I would visit every two - three weeks or so to buy LiPos, props, glues, various bits of hardware etc.

NOT ONCE was there any sort of engagement such as "what are you flying these days?" or "closed loop linkages, is that for a glider or small scale job". Nothing. Nada. No attempt to build any sort of rapport. No attempt to find out what my interests are in order to do some gentle selling or marketing. Don't get me wrong, there was no rudeness, it was well stocked and offered good value. But the whole experience was very flat and uninspiring and sort of indifferent.

Same with a well known outlet on a Slough trading estate.

My best face to face experience has been with Als Hobbies in Stony Stratford. I have only been there three or four times, but each time Al Senior has found time for a chat, asked me what I'm flying and when he'd seen I'd bought a fairly large amount of film covering, threw in an edge cutter free of charge.

Thread: How does a BMFA Country Member get an A Certificate?
28/06/2019 16:45:49

The BMFA Scheme weekend is 2nd - 4th August.

Demonstrations, practice and testing available. I plan to be there and do my A Test

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Fly-in, August 2nd - 4th
27/06/2019 08:20:39

Re my thread about how do Country Members obtain their A Certificate....

Here's my answer!

Thread: How does a BMFA Country Member get an A Certificate?
25/06/2019 17:15:48
Posted by Bruce Collinson on 25/06/2019 16:44:45:

FB,

Ten of us sat/flew the A last Sunday. Lessons:

Nail figures of 8 in all wind directions, and not pylon turns; ditto deadstick landings

Learn the mandatory answers and have sensible knowledge of the BMFA Handbook

Make sure your failsafe can be shown to work

Listen to what you're asked to do.

Very best of luck with it.

BTC

Good points. yes

25/06/2019 17:15:15
Posted by Martin Harris on 25/06/2019 16:47:05:

It's still worth getting an idea of the requirements. A clubmate who is an Area Chief Examiner, the local area scheme coordinator and a member of the review committee has commented that on several occasions he's had to fail extremely experienced and otherwise competent pilots because they didn't comply with the requirements of the tests due to insufficient preparation.

Agreed - I have all the scheme docs/handbooks printed out with plenty of index markers! I also practice the A Test at every flying session.

25/06/2019 16:36:43
Posted by Martin Harris on 25/06/2019 16:27:54:

Film Buff, as you don't have access to an examiner or instructor you might benefit from watching this video as a guide to what's expected/involved in the test.

You'll need to be familiar with the mandatory questions as well as the handbook and CAP 658 so if you're just turning up on the day to do the test, make sure you're prepared for them - the examiner won't be trying to catch you out - just to make sure you have a working knowledge of the contents.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/06/2019 16:29:56

Thanks Martin. Without wanting to grandstand - I can fly the A and B schedule with ease. It's the logistics of the assessment that I need help with.

25/06/2019 15:47:20
Posted by will -0 on 25/06/2019 15:29:41:

Hmm that's 47 miles from BMFA HQ at buckminster............

Seems like something that ought to be possible there.

Edited By will -0 on 25/06/2019 15:42:54

That's what I'm thinking - I feel an email coming on.

25/06/2019 15:24:51
Posted by will -0 on 25/06/2019 15:24:06:

Roughly where in the country are you? You may find there's someone on here who could recommend a local friendly spot!

Good point. I'm based in Northampton.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us