By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FilmBuff

Here is a list of all the postings FilmBuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: National Model Flying Centre
11/08/2014 11:21:56

BEB said: I can assure you my lack of enthusiasm for this proposal does not stem from from a lack of vision! But my vision is radically different from what's proposed! And I'd be happy to share it - if I thought for 2 minutes that anyone in the BMFA heirachy would listen!

BEB - I'm all ears!

11/08/2014 10:38:23

The capacity of model flyers to display a lack of vision and ambition never ceases to amaze, and is in full flow on this thread! There is also some nonsense being directed at the survey. Sure, it is not of the IPSOS MORI standard for scientific validity, but it does give a snapshot - and that is all that is being captured at the moment.

I see two issues that must be separated:

• Do model flyers want some sort of national centre?
  • How will it be funded?

Now, if we leave for one side the arguments over validity of the survey, sample size, etc - then over 80% of respondents would like to see some sort of national centre. I agree that this is far from a mandate, but it does give a direction of travel. It's probably "roughly right", rather than "precisely wrong".

BTW, if the sample of 1800 is representative of the BMFA membership, then with a membership of 40,000 such a sample will give 95% confidence with a margin of 2.25% each way. That is, you could be 95% confident that between 77.25% and 82.25% of members support a national centre.

The issue appears to be how such a centre is funded - and this is where the heat is. But first let's understand the appetite. Suspend disbelief for a few moments before reaching for the key board. Put down your Daily Mail and imagine what it could be like to have such a facility.

With a well formed view of what is possible, all the tricky stuff can be tackled with verve and vision.

Simple exercise - same words, but very different meaning:

1. "I want to go to Barbados, but it's expensive"
  2. "It's expensive, but I want to go to Barbados"

#1 probably means you won't be soaking up the sun to Rhiana's beats. #2 means you will probably find away! Just swap Barbados for "National Centre" or similar description, and see what is possible. Dare to Dream!

Thread: Rawle Aviation
06/08/2014 15:11:09

Lee is being a bit blunt. But then again, why do we make excuses? "It's a hobby for him" - or "He's a bit hard to get hold off".

If I had kept the money from an eBay sale for two months and had not shipped or refunded I would expect to be lambasted.

Thread: commonwealth games
29/07/2014 15:26:26

Hasn't grabbed my attention much. Some sports are giving world class competition - track cycling, swimming, sprinting - but apart from that it's very much "world #6 v world #17".

I normally consume vast amounts of global sporting competition!

Thread: Honey Hill - do any of you remeber flying on this gentle Northants slope?
21/07/2014 18:23:06
Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 21/07/2014 18:17:05:

Film Buff where about's is Honey Hill in Northants?

Look at Michael Hickman's posting on page 2 - he gives GPS co-ordinates.

It's near Cold Ashby Golf Club in Northants - just of the A5199 Welford Road.

21/07/2014 18:12:26

Amazing "light wind and not the best direction" session this afternoon at Honey Hill with the 2.5M Algebra. Wind was NNW and never more than 4 mph. Those who fly the site will know that this requires a bit of nerve to launch towards two large trees in the most unhelpful direction for the site.

Never enough pure slope lift to sustain prolonged flight, but if you held your nerve and launched when the air was almost flat calm it was usually an indicator of thermal lift passing through. Even then it was very scratchy - got a couple of flights of 10 minutes or so before I managed to get some decent lift to spec it out.

On one flight I got very low over the moto cross circuit but picked up a very light lift bubble to get back across the North face with around 30 feet of altitude. It was this scrape that enabled me to push out NNW and pick up the boomer that let me climb very quickly.

Simply awesome session!

Thread: Well done Germany on being World Champions
14/07/2014 19:46:37
Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 14/07/2014 07:48:16:
Posted by Cuban8 on 14/07/2014 07:45:54:

Yawn.............

I agree.The whole championship has been a non-event!

Yawn...

Great tournament.

Thread: FPV Drones
01/07/2014 09:20:51
Posted by kc on 30/06/2014 18:30:21:

Contrary to BEB's opinion I think this would be a good development -limiting drones might preserve traditional aeromodelling. Otherwise we might all get grounded by the actions of these people. Flying by watching a TV screen or by satnav waypoints has little to do with real aeromodelling and has lots of potential for terrorists or newspapers spying on 'celebraties'. To them FPV will mean "Find Potential Victims"

If you cannot see it with just your eyes then its not allowed seems OK to me.

Maybe we should have stuck with rubber powered A-Frame pusher models made from spruce and silk? That balsa stuff was very non traditional. And IC engines? - very non traditional. Radio control? very non traditional compared to free flight.

FPV, UAV, WTF- it's just different - not a threat.

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
15/06/2014 18:56:22
Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 15/06/2014 18:17:37:

@Hello FilmBuff , this is Rossi 15 ABC (25,000-30,000 rpm).smile pThanks you for your interest....

Rgds

Jo

Serious F1C stuff there Jo. Do you still fly them?

15/06/2014 13:07:18

Love these pics Jo. Is that a Rossi 15 motor?

Thread: Building ? or Flying? during the Blooming Football!!
11/06/2014 22:25:40

Keep the faith. 11.00pm on Saturday we can Dare to Dream

10/06/2014 11:51:50

I too enjoy Rugby - but let's not go too overboard on the "fair play" thing. Eye gouging, coaches getting a player to bite on a blood capsule to simulate injury, spear tackles, stud raking...

But back to OP - many model flyers will be experiencing the emotional roller coaster of watching England at the World Cup. And as someone who enjoys both model flying and sport - flying a model plane will NEVER stir up the same passions as being at Wembley watching Arsenal beat Manchester United, England beating Scotland or going mental at Edgbaston watching England beat Australia in The Ashes.

10/06/2014 11:35:29

Never understood my so many modellers slag off The World Cup or other major sporting events. In 2012, many on the forum were bitching about the Olympics! Why the apparent polarity of interests?

The matches are being played at 5pm; 9pm and 11pm UK time. So unless you're retired (or a public sector worker) or have LED night lights on your plane you'll be able to fly and watch the football. smile d

Thread: Latest OpenTx
03/06/2014 11:06:19

Guys - this is interesting stuff - but why don't you use a dedicated OpenTx forum? I think this is the third thread dedicated to Taranis. Just wondering...

Thread: Trouble with Li-Pos?
30/05/2014 12:16:02

Inspired by this topic and the recent one on re-arranging equations - I did a little digging on sample sizes:

I made the assumption that 25,000 model flyers use Li-Po batteries.

• If we want a 4% confidence interval - that is "plus or minus 4%";
  • If we want a 95% confidence level - that is you can be 95% sure that your results are within your confidence interval - then
  • We need a sample size of 378 - probably much less than most of us imagine!

With the current sample size of 199 - and assuming 25,000 Li-Po users - the calculated confidence interval is 6.92 or "plus or minus 6.92%". So currently we can be 95% confident that 76 to 90% of Li-Po users have had no problems.

Edited By FilmBuff on 30/05/2014 12:35:21

Thread: internet passwords
28/05/2014 22:56:14

Use a pass phrase. Think of a line of your favourite song, then use the first letter of each word. So...

"Sup up your beer and collect your fags there's a row going on down near Slough"

becomes the password:

suybacyftargodns

Very easy for you to remember!

Thread: Trouble with Li-Pos?
28/05/2014 22:16:07

Eight years of use and never had any problems at all. No fires, no smoke, no puffing.

So far..... wink 2

Thread: Taranaphobia
16/05/2014 12:54:05

Here's my 2p worth. It is very easy to create a simple model, but anything more advanced is certainly not intuitive.

Expo - easy enough.

Mixes - easily mixed CAR, but then I found that rudder did not work independently - only as part of the mix when operating the aileron stick.

None of this is complex - it just needs someone to produce a good "how to guide". Open TX for Dummies.

BTW - I hope we are being eavesdropped by the FBI or GCHQ. Taranis is also a very advanced Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle...wink 2

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 16/05/2014 13:37:22

13/05/2014 20:33:43

@BEB

I have been using the software for a few weeks. I'm after the Tranny Programming sim - not the Tranny use sim.

13/05/2014 19:01:00

How Chris - can you point me to it?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us