By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FilmBuff

Here is a list of all the postings FilmBuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Updating a Protech Topic 400
30/01/2018 15:09:19

Found this lurking in the loft...

topic 400.jpg

1.5 M span with a Speed 400 - very under powered by today's standards. Got me thinking though. The wing is very good and quite light. All it needs is a new fuselage, motor and prop and ESC, radio gear, and lighter tail feathers.

speadsheet.jpg

Here's my target design spreadsheet. Looking to save over 200 grammes in the process.

20180128_193510_burst01.jpg

Made a start, thanks to Hyperflight.

20180128_201519_burst01.jpg

And even dusted off some old drawing skills!

Thread: Glue for veneered wing?
29/01/2018 18:37:04

Doh! Should have read the OP properly...

But anyway...

Back in the day - we used to use Copydex for veneering as it was a contact glue that did not have lots of moisture to get rid of.

Edited By FilmBuff on 29/01/2018 18:50:37

Thread: Fantasia 2.5m RE glider
29/01/2018 18:14:46
Posted by Cuban8 on 28/01/2018 10:06:57:

Jonathan, if you have an athletic friend or member of your family available, you can always launch just using a simple tow-line. That's all we used in thermal comps back in the 70s/80s.

Dead cheap, just 50M or so of light nylon fishing line to start with and a parachute or pennant at the tow ring end. Increase the tow line length as you gain experience.

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/01/2018 10:18:43

Nice video - but that's an F1A Free Flight glider on the 50M lines. He's also circle towing, meaning he can keep the model on the tow line more or less indefinitely until he finds lift, or collapses from exhaustion! The special hook also allowed for a zoom launch - all without radio.

RC thermal soarers used 150M line - and in windless conditions you needed a very fit towman.

Thread: Stiff tailplane hinge Wot 4 Foam e mk2+
12/01/2018 18:33:08
Posted by trebor on 12/01/2018 17:55:11:

When you say plastic ! What type, flat, fury, or hinge pin type ?

Nothing I've really seen before - but some kind of pin type

12/01/2018 16:36:57

Just starting the "build" of this and noticed that the new tailplane (with additional plastic hinges and inset elevators) hinge line seems very stiff.

The rudder, which simply has the living foam hinge is very free by comparison.

I've tried endlessly working the elevators and this has had a small effect. It looks like the plastic hinges are causing the problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thread: DLG Tailplane and Fin construction methods
12/01/2018 14:03:32

crying No response - so I thought I'd try and bump it up the list again!

08/01/2018 21:58:49

Looking at designing a home brew DLG or Electric version.

Most kits seem to use a composite construction method. Is this a foam core and glass cloth with resin?

What foam? Rohacell? XPS (floor underlay)?

What resin? Thin epoxy? Back in the day I used Tufcote fuel proofer on 0.6 ounce glass cloth on balsa sheet cores.

Thread: Need recommendation / tips on Spektrum Gear
22/12/2017 11:09:05

Thanks guys - the Orange stuff does look like excellent value - I'll make a sample purchase!

22/12/2017 09:45:33

So, I bought a second hand but never used DX6i tranny for £70. It does not have a receiver - so my next "ask" is to get some opinions on what's a good Rx.

I have read some reviews on "Orange" products, and many mention that they keep loosing the bind. Do Spektrum do a small, light Rx?

First port of call for this gear is an Elf DLG, so the Rx has to be small.

All help appreciated.

Edited By FilmBuff on 22/12/2017 09:45:51

Thread: They say things come in threes
15/12/2017 09:00:14

Quick update. New boiler fitted without problems, house is now too hot as the more efficient boiler and flushing of micro bore system has given the rads extra oomph! Will be turning the boiler water temp down in a mo.

And the installer was an aeromodeller! Anyone know Robin Lamb from the Banbury club?

14/12/2017 09:11:35

OMG, some sad tales here! I've run diesels for 10 years without any issue, or so I thought.

Car is running fine but I've noticed it's about 5% less efficient on mpg. Might hAve to brave a trip to the main dealer. Boiler being fitted as I type. 😊

13/12/2017 12:50:55
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 13/12/2017 11:58:42:

I used to have a 25+ year old Ferrolli unit which was also obsolete and I kept it going for a number of years with spares off E-bay and internet suppliers. Finally I had enough of it and spent a similar amount (~£1800) having a Worcester-Bosch condensor boiler installed. Best move ever. It really is saving me a lot on the gas bills, I wouldn't swear to 20% but the engineers who installed it said their measurements of the old and new units were 70% and 98+% respectively.

FB - I too can't wait to see the end of 2017!

Yep - I reckon in 5-6 years time I'll be quids in! Thing is even if the fan had got replaced - the guy would have to do an emissions test (like at a car MOT) and he bet his van that the boiler will fail. New boiler will have a 7 year warranty too.

Edited By FilmBuff on 13/12/2017 12:51:35

12/12/2017 20:20:10
Posted by trebor on 12/12/2017 19:36:50:

Ouch! Was that a new boiler then ? A couple of years ago our boiler went kaput on New Year's Day. I had a hangover, cold, guests staying over, no chance in a engineer coming out. Turned out to be the bearings on the exhaughst fan. I got it going in the end yes

It's the fan that has gone. That would have just been £350, but it's obsolete and no spares are available for the boiler - so it's a straight swap with an A++ rated condenser job. The "good news" is that this is much more efficient and should cost 20% less to run.

12/12/2017 20:18:14
Posted by Don Fry on 12/12/2017 19:32:38:

I so wish. Then again, that you have the ability to pay these bills. Respect.

Really had no choice! I'm about to place two of the spare bedrooms on AirBnB

12/12/2017 19:05:18

So after a leaking roof repair last week (£450), a mis-fuel of unleaded into a diesel whilst on the way to the NEC on Saturday evening (£295) and now the boiler going kaput on the coldest day of the year (£1,850) I'm hoping that's my fill of bad luck.

Merry Christmas!

Thread: BMFA Online Membership portal open for 2018 membership renewals
01/12/2017 15:06:14
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/12/2017 13:35:51:

Yes - as the person who does the renewls for our club and deals with membership issues I have to say the BMFA Club Portal has been a real plus. Credit where it is due it s a step forward and a great benefit to those of us charged with this task - much better than the old sticker system!

BEB

PS See, I can find positive things to say about BMFA wink 2

surprise

Thread: All very nice, but who cares?
27/11/2017 22:13:00

Goodness me! More grumpiness from the forumites!

Thread: Guns in Society
26/11/2017 17:52:51
Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 25/11/2017 13:44:37:

Firearms enabled us to protect our "civilised society" against armed aggression many times. Firearms enable hundreds of thousands of citizens in the US alone to protect themselves, their families and their property against the depredations of criminals - in the great majority of cases without a shot being fired.Until 1920 we could acquire and use any guns we wanted (yes, including automatic weapons) without let or hindrance from police or the State - and gun crime was at much lower levels than today. The freedom to own guns is fundamental to political liberty and a free society: governments which suppress this right are illiberal. No government which does not trust its citizens to own weapons ought to be trusted by those citizens. I own rifles and shotguns - and used to own a succession of semi-automatic pistols. I regard myself as civilised.

rgds Tony

What utter nonsense!

Thread: Good News from the BMFA AGM
24/11/2017 08:27:32

Unfortunately, this thread has resulted in people lining up in the usual partisan lines - and I include myself in this!

If you're a believer, you don't need any proof. If you don't believe, no amount of proof will be enough.

Every opinion/fact from one side will be countered by opinion/fact from the other.

Can we declare the NFC a success? Probably too early to tell, in my opinion.

Should we be supportive - or at least stop throwing rocks at it? Yes, in my opinion.

Should people really worry that the £25K sponsorship would reduce subs by 75p per year? They need to get a life, in my opinion.

I'm trying to find a quote from Granny Dryden...

Edited By FilmBuff on 24/11/2017 08:33:55

23/11/2017 17:06:17
Posted by kc on 23/11/2017 14:41:41:

Why did the BMFA ever get Buckminster if it's not big enough for the Nationals?

Surely the last thing aeromodellers want is for the NFC to be used for Corprate Events! If we have to pay for it we want to use it whenever we want and the weather is suitable not find some overpaid executives and their hangers on having a 'jolly' at the taxmans expense instead of being used for it's proper purpose. Corporate stuff has ruined motor racing and numerous other sporting events - people spending their firms money have replaced real enthusiasts..

Edited By kc on 23/11/2017 14:43:44

Mmmm "NFC should not be used for corporate events"? Why would you want to cut off this sort of income and marketing opportunities? Makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'm working at Anglian Water in Huntingdon - and we hold project meetings down the road at the racecourse. When I did a project at RAF Chicksands in Bedfordshire we used to hold breakfast meetings at Old Warden cafe. At home, I enjoy a very pleasant coffee and cake at a Buddhist Monastery. Best thing NFC could do is get a decent coffee machine, some snacks and good cakes and get the cafe open to the local community. Properly done, it could generate really healthy income and play a key part in raising awareness and building stakeholder engagement.

Sport (especially motor sport) without sponsorship and corporate support would be taking it back to the 1970s where well meaning amateurs ran the show and used hay bales as crash protection. Football was played in miserable stadia, pitches that were mud baths by the end of October and terrible crowd safety implications.

Whilst not quite the same with the NFC, sponsorship and diverse revenue streams are to be welcomed and essential to its success - not seen as a weakness in the business model.

Edited By FilmBuff on 23/11/2017 17:07:46

Edited By FilmBuff on 23/11/2017 17:10:15

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!