By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FilmBuff

Here is a list of all the postings FilmBuff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Had my first full size flying lesson!
13/09/2017 14:03:58

Just back from an amazing experience with 2Excel Training at Sywell, flying an AT-3, which seemed smaller than some of the models on the show circuit...

At the briefing, the instructor declared that as I can fly models he'll give me control "just after take off". He was true to his word. Bob retracted the flaps and told me the plane needs a bit of right rudder in the climb out and that I had control! A few words about speed, climb rate and using the trim wheel until the stick went light and that was it - a practically hands free climb to 3,000 feet. Once achieved I trimmed for level flight and trouble free progress to Rutland Water. This became interesting quite quickly as we entered in RAF Wittering air space!

Bob dealt with the chatter from ATC and I was soon flying 360 circuits both ways around the reservoir. We turned for home and tracked 210 to Pitsford and ultimately back to Sywell. Bob took the stick for the final circuit and landing - which he did using a cut and glide technique - with the engine just idling. A great experience, and I was glad I had left my credit card at home!

Some observations from me:

• Flying around really is very easy - it's just the take off and landing that's the problem!
  • The FPV view is very different - I became lost very quickly!
  • Having a knowledge of model flying really helps. Back stick in the turns, understanding role of elevator and throttle etc
  • Without the headset on - it's very noisy!

A great experience and I will seriously consider going all in and learning to fly once I can get out of my crazy hours rat race job and go into semi retirement!

Thread: October 2017 issue
06/09/2017 17:53:49
Posted by Eagle 899 on 06/09/2017 10:52:11:

Mine just landed smiley

thumbs up

05/09/2017 13:52:56

Thanks guys!

05/09/2017 13:42:00

Hi folks - is the October edition late? I normally get my mags dropped through the door last week of the month.

If it isn't - I need to chase up the subscription team. I'm only halfway through a two year subscription.

Thread: Beyond The Foamie
04/09/2017 14:23:15

Thanks John. I'm pleased the EFs can fly in both modes. Is it a matter of dialing down the rates and loads of expo?

I also think they have the edge in terms of looks over the Sebart models - but that is very subjective.

Edited By FilmBuff on 04/09/2017 14:24:24

04/09/2017 11:17:38

Thanks guys. Lots of support for Seb Art - and Extreme Flight advocates?

Thread: Flying Training
01/09/2017 18:25:24

Never been a fan of looking over your shoulder. Very awkward.

I was always taught the sage's advice of "prop up the low wing" and this still works today. I sometimes find myself using Glyn44's technique - it really works too.

Someone mentioned using an RC car and get this to drive in a straight line towards you. Again - another great idea and I used years ago when racing RC Buggies.

When glider flying at great height and distance - sometimes the only thing you can do is initiate a turn just to see how the glider responds - and then adjust accordingly if it's not the direction you wanted!

Thread: Beyond The Foamie
01/09/2017 18:19:07

Hi folks, much as love my Dogfighter and Wot 4 Foamie - it's time to get a built up airframe back in the hanger.

I can't make my mind up between the Seb Art 30e series of planes or the Extreme Flight 48 or 52 inch jobs.

Welcome any experiences you may have of each type.

I have read that they are made in the same factory...

Thread: Staufenbiel gliders - nearly all are out of stock!
23/08/2017 14:57:27
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 23/08/2017 14:24:42:

I've found that with Staufenbiel too when I was looking for a new glider, and they appear to be owned by Horizon Hobby now too. I gave up in the end and went for something else.

You could try FVK Models who produce very similar models to the Vegas. I have the Signal 2.4m which flies very well indeed. Glass fuse and veneered foam wings makes for a quick and easy build.

Steve

Thanks Steve. What motor do you have in the Signal?

One of the attractions of Staufenbiel is the PNP format. I'm very lazy these days...

23/08/2017 12:59:40

I'm trying to get hold of a PNP Vegas glider. But this and most others have been out of stock on the website for weeks.

Do they distribute to model shops?

Thread: In praise of the moderators
15/08/2017 21:00:24

Crikey Simon B. This is not Live Aid....

Thread: New Shed
15/08/2017 17:54:11

Olly - what is the shed looking like four years later?

Thread: Dogfighter - new Multiplex release
15/08/2017 16:56:53

Hi Steve

No real consensus on the rudder servo I guess. In the end I did not bother. I have to replace a chattering aileron servo, so I may re-think this.

I found the folding prop to be a must. In terms of LiPo, I've gone with 2200s and this gives a good 9 mins on a 9 x 7 prop. I have recently switched to Dynamic packs and they are lighter than my originals but this has had no noticeable effect in flight.

Classic model. Mine is 5 years old and stills brings a smile to the face when flying.

Thread: Honey Hill - do any of you remeber flying on this gentle Northants slope?
13/08/2017 18:30:20

Well, eventful afternoon today. Pretty much calm winds, so packed an electric glider and my very old 100 S floater.

First problem was noticing that the plug on the port wing aileron servo was missing. A quick check in the fuselage showed a male plug still in the Y lead. I thought that was a bit tight to remove last time...

Quick dash back to the workshop to solder on a new plug.

Saw a couple of cars by the entrance to the bridal path, so thought I may have some flying company. Not so. At the top of the slope, I clearly stumbled across some form of "dogging" gathering. Ooops! I feigned complete disinterest and got the gliders set up. Not sure who was more embarrassed.

Despite the flat calm, I threw the Algebra out a few times. The first two were a simple circuit and landing, but the third time saw contact with lift that I was able to work for around 20 minutes getting to around 250 metres or so. It was a reminder of how totally absorbing pure soaring can be.

The electric Easy Glider was despatched and a 10 second motor run immediately put it into strong lift. Over the next 40 minutes, I managed to unpack the camping chair, get the iced coffee out and munch a sandwich. When it was becoming a bit too high, even full up and full rudder and aileron did not bring it down. A long inverted dive did the trick, but it still took another 45 mins before I landed.

At this point, some local lads appeared in camo gear with terriers to do a spot of rabbiting. I despatched the Easy Glider again, and the flight pretty much echoed the first.

Great afternoon of flat calm slope soaring. Now browsing for a small in runner to put in the Algebra's nose.

Edited By FilmBuff on 13/08/2017 18:31:22

Thread: When was the last time you had to climb a tree?
07/08/2017 12:16:45

Respect to you @Don on so many levels.yes

07/08/2017 11:47:29

Friday evening was lovely and calm, so took the chance to run four or five packs through one of my favourite foamies at my local village playing field.

Being calm, I used most of the session to practice touch and goes and landings. It also meant I had to be lower and further than usual on finals as there was no wind to slow the model in, bringing the boundary trees into play.

Yep - you've guessed it. Last pack of the evening and my third approach saw the plane just clip the top of the trees and settle serenely on the crown at around 20 feet up.

On investigation, the trees were in reality a mix of immature birch and beech formed in a hedge. This meant trying to find suitable branches to get the initial "foot up the tree", and then plotting my way up on branches that could actually bear my weight.

I was reduced to getting about 15 feet up, and then violently shaking branches to get the plane to drop down the tree. After around 10 minutes, it was down to around 8-10 feet. Back on the ground, I was able to grab the branch and then pull it down far enough to grab a wing tip and wrestle the undercarriage free.

Apart from multiple dings and scratches to the foam, the only real damage was that the foam aileron hinges had given up. So just need to cut them off and put some trad hinges in.

I couldn't help feeling quite pleased with myself that at 55, I had climbed my first tree for over 40 years and came back home with the model largely intact.

Thread: Looking for someone to make an ARTF, PNP!
21/07/2017 10:31:39
Posted by Braddock, VC on 21/07/2017 08:30:25:

Where's the shot down in flames smiley when you need it thinking ?

yesI was thinking that!

Again, appreciate all responses, but some of you did make a huge leap in your levels of abstraction!

I have a few leads.

Edited By FilmBuff on 21/07/2017 10:32:27

21/07/2017 00:17:32

Hi guys. Thanks for your responses and concerns!

I have been flying RC models for 37 years. It's lack of time rather than experience that's behind my request.

I live in Northampton and currently working on a project in Huntingdon.

20/07/2017 13:15:04

Hi folks,

I'm looking for someone to take an ARTF glider kit and install all the servos, hinge and connect all the flying surfaces, install and solder the electric motor and ESC.

In effect, making an ARTF in to a PNP. All I have to do is connect my receiver and flight battery.

I'm looking at one of the Topmodel CZ range of gliders with 4 servo flapped wing.

I will obviously source all components - but looking for some (paid) help to get it to the PNP state.

Thread: Cosford this weekend
19/07/2017 12:15:44

Lot's of camera envy going on there guys...

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!