By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisB

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
27/07/2018 11:11:47
Posted by Ikura on 27/07/2018 08:35:30:

From what I have read these anti-drone measures will be very few and far between and will be deployed to 'protect' sensitive areas such as prisons, airports and perhaps government buildings etc.

If anyone does fly in those areas then maybe it will be a jolly good idea to refrain from doing so. Anyone choosing to ignore the regulations is asking for problems.

Surely legitimate flyers should not have give up their sites? Is that reasonable?

I am responding to the consultation and will be emphasising the point, as should we all!

27/07/2018 08:49:41

I can think of at least 6 clubs that I know of around the country that currently, lawfully fly near airports and prisons and have done for over 30 years. So what you’re suggesting Ikura, is for those clubs to cease flying???

Collateral damage????? That’s ridiculous, there should be no impact from any electronic interference on innocent and law abiding parties! So far I’ve been quite relaxed about the regs, but this is an issue that must be fully addressed!

27/07/2018 00:41:23

I've read the latest consultation today and the one thing that does concern me above all else is the future option for electronic countermeasures to jam radio signals of drone being flown in sensitive locations.

Clearly this measure is in-descriminate and any drone that is subject to this action may not be the only casualty. This should be the focus of any response.

25/07/2018 19:45:00

Why the big debate now? The time for debate has gone!!

Its all done now, get on with it and if you don't like it, then take up fishing or knitting!

24/07/2018 23:39:52

As expected, all is well. Well done to all involved

Hopefully that's an end to it!

20/07/2018 09:28:52

You can’t issue an amendment to a statue that itself hasn’t been invoked. So wait until the 30th

18/07/2018 20:02:16

Have I missed something????

The BMFA,SAA, FPVUK and LMA have issued a statement regarding an exemption agreed by the CAA, DFT and the associations, which will be in place on or by 30th July.

You can all worry if you want but I won’t be, as it’ll all be fine!

Thread: What setting for charging NiMH batteries
15/07/2018 23:25:09

500-800mah for me.

10/07/2018 23:45:14
Posted by MattyB on 10/07/2018 22:13:13:

Asked a question about progress on the BMFA FB page - response below...

"Hi Matt thanks for your comment. The BMFA's CEO has spent 3 days negotiating with authorities this week, so the BMFA is continuing to press the matter as promised. As soon as we have a confirmed update we will post accordingly."

MattyB if you read the entire statement (linked below) and copied below its made quite clear. No change in real terms for us.

However, we are pleased to report that agreement was reached that the Model Flying Associations will collectively apply for an exemption from Article 94A to allow their members to continue operating model aircraft below 7Kg above 400ft as they do under the current ANO. The DfT and CAA were supportive of this course of action and did not foresee any reason why the exemption would not be in place in time for the 30th July.

**LINK**

For those who aren't aware of the weight vs height limits. Uncontrolled airspace models over 7kg limited to 400ft, In controlled airspace permission from ATC required.

Edited By ChrisB on 10/07/2018 23:48:24

10/07/2018 20:36:00
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 10/07/2018 12:20:22:

BMFA released their statement slightly before the LMA on both their website and in the BMFA news. In fact it is linked more than once in this very thread!

Can we just agree once again that the changes to the ANO are NOT to deal with "irresponsible use of Drones" but with clearing of airspace to allow commercial activity in a dedicated air corridor.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 10/07/2018 12:20:33

There are no changes to the ANO. The ANO remains exactly the same as it is now. The only limitation will be on those who are not in one of the four recognised national associations.

Thread: Your Club. Larger, Smaller or Static?
10/07/2018 03:18:28

One of our members is a school teacher and each year he brings a group of school childten for an experience day.

Sadly due to lack of interest it’s had to be cancelled this year, although not for the want of trying by the teachers.

The magic of flying years ago and of dreaming of flying something that you knew you’d never achieve in the full size format was often the key to the hobby. Now most children have flown, see aircraft every day and have much more access to other activities that occupy their time.

09/07/2018 18:51:03

Each year our club plays host to two visits from the ATC and one from a local school. About 15 children aged 12-16.

We’ve been doing it for about 4 years now and will continue to but this far we’ve not gained any young members from it. This is down to the usual issues of cost, logistics and willingness/interest from parents etc to assist the youngsters.

As we all know, it’s generally a matter of passing down the family tree rather than anything else.

Sadly it’s the nature of the hobby which requires a car to get out of town etc etc

09/07/2018 13:51:08

If you’ve received your BMFA magazine it may be worth reading, as that sets out the reality, which is far from what many are posting on this thread.

Thread: Something that will bounce
08/07/2018 19:04:38

Hi Sam, i may have missed it but are you in a club? If so is there someone who can teach you aero's?

The WOT 4 foamie will never let you down and will do everything!

Thread: Your Club. Larger, Smaller or Static?
08/07/2018 17:41:47
Posted by Roo Hawkins on 08/07/2018 16:02:48:
You talk about decline in membership of clubs.I live in Northamptonshire and I fly large scale gliders and I travel over 100 miles to fly at events around the UK. My local slope is 45 miles away. So I thought about joining a club need to me so I can get a bit of flying in.I like to fly large models and have thought about a large scale motor glider. All of the club's I have looked at have small strips some of them are even not safe to fly. I think this is because of foamys. The only club that is OK but when I tried to join . I had to go to a club meeting fill a form out then fly 3 times to be checked out they then sent me the rules I then email to say OK. They then invite you to a interview before they say you can join. I did all this but no one contacted me for a interview. So I wasted loads of time on this and still no club. Withe this way of doing things I can not see how we can get new people in to the sport.

Our former chairman insisted on an interview process with many searching questions and a flow chart of and/or type scenarios. It was very much like a job interview, with a panel of at least three. Some people did not answer the questions to his satisfaction and many were put off by such a process and even if they were accepted they were subject to a 3 month and then 6 month probation interview.

We soon put a stop to that, as its not the way a model flying club should go about things at all.

08/07/2018 17:35:36
Posted by ChrisB on 08/07/2018 11:37:50:

We've seen a fluctuating but steady membership level over the last few years. One local factor for us was the merging of two other local clubs which resulted in a gain for us. We have about 18 members who are also members of other clubs.

The other big factor are the one year wonders. They join with their foamy trainers, visit three or four times and are never seen again. We usually get about four a year like that. They are what I call the bucket list flyers! Don't want to make a hobby of it, just say they've done it!

Most of our new members are individuals who've never flown before. there are very few existing modellers who join us.

We generally lose about 10 a year and recoup some back with new members.

Eight years of membership numbers:

2010: 79

2011: 71

2012: 82

2013: 90

2014: 77

2015: 75

2016: 91

2017: 90

So far in 2018: 81

Even though we have 80 members the most we see are about 18-25 at our monthly events,our evening meetings are poorly attended at about 18 and the regular flyers number the same 20 or so.

Why? Health, other interests (flying is the poor relation), family commitments, etc etc. The hardcore number about 15.

Members aged under 45 number 14

We have many novice members who, despite much encouragement never seem to progress, probably because they don't want the hobby to be the be all and end all, but an occasional past-time.

08/07/2018 11:37:50

We've seen a fluctuating but steady membership level over the last few years. One local factor for us was the merging of two other local clubs which resulted in a gain for us. We have about 18 members who are also members of other clubs.

The other big factor are the one year wonders. They join with their foamy trainers, visit three or four times and are never seen again. We usually get about four a year like that. They are what I call the bucket list flyers! Don't want to make a hobby of it, just say they've done it!

Most of our new members are individuals who've never flown before. there are very few existing modellers who join us.

We generally lose about 10 a year and recoup some back with new members.

Eight years of membership numbers:

2010: 79

2011: 71

2012: 82

2013: 90

2014: 77

2015: 75

2016: 91

2017: 90

So far in 2018: 81

Thread: Well done LMA
07/07/2018 20:31:34

Just back from a very hot Cosford.

Been going for over 20 years and it was one of the best.

RAF through the ages was an excellent idea and although it received some question about the non RAF models it worked very well and showed the variety of models on display. My favourite were the three V bombers!

Commentary and music were excellent, well prepared and executed. Others could learn a lot!

Well done to all, including those who were stood in the sun all day such as parking and pay gates.

Thread: Fed Up!
04/07/2018 17:25:08

The other thing that vex's me about football is its standing in society and the way it is made to be the benchmark.

The media, idiots that they are measure everything in football pitches. A new runway at Heathrow or a big building it covers x times football pitches. Maybe its just me but I have no idea of the size of a football pitch, i've never been to a football club and never intend to.

And when they report the sports news, "And now for all the latest sports news and they spend 15 minutes talking about football and that's it.

On the news if someone has been sacked or a club or player has done something it makes the top headline and they talk for ten minutes about it at the start, then another ten minutes in the 'sports news' and the second Item on the news is something far more trivial like war, famine, murder or politics, you know, minor irrelevant things that no-ones interested in.

Finally, in what other industry can you be so bad at your job that you are paid millions of pounds to be sacked on a Monday and then re-employed a few days or weeks later for the same money doing the same 'job' for a competitor. Its a complete non-sence.

The problem other sports and activities have is that society is so brain washed by football, that nothing else gets a look-in. For example, If I went to my local council and asked for a field to play football, they could find me one or would bend over backwards to help. If I asked the same for model flying...and I have...they laugh, roll their eyes and send me on my way and if I try to fly from playing fields away from the obvious obstructions they would enforce the Public Space protection order and that would be that.

Rant over...I'm off to puncture a football or two!!

04/07/2018 12:45:52

I'll be glad when the football is over. 22 millionaires kicking a bag of air between two sticks and people get so excited about it. The noise coming from the pub near me last night was as though people had won the lottery. Its as though they are taking part themselves.

It amazes me that people talk in the first person about things that they have no control over. We scored this many goals and we went down to 10 men. We.....you mean the players, you were just sat on your backside watching it, not playing.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues