By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisB

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Re: Death of IC
02/02/2018 14:24:05

You can’t beat a nice 4 stroke purring away in a scale model. IC won’t die, electric has its place, as does IC. It all depends on the model.

Thread: Push bikes might be safe
27/01/2018 13:07:48

Although not well publicised, new MOT regs are coming into force in May. There are a variety of changes but one key thing is that of the smoke test.

Any vehicle with a DPF that emits smoke of any colour will automatically fail the MOT.

So, any hopes of needing an ambulance, parcels delivered, crops harvested or buses caught are virtually over!

Now, for those of you who reply with the usual criticism of diesels, just do a search on Autotrader. Of just over 35500 vans, just under 400 are not diesel.

So other than waiting 10 years for a wide range of non diesel vans to come to market and winning the lottery to be able to afford to spend £15-£25000 on a new non diesel van to then do only 2000 miles a year, what should people do?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Edited By ChrisB on 27/01/2018 13:24:52

Thread: Flummoxed part 2
24/01/2018 18:32:42

Gorilla white wood glue is very good stuff! It can be applied straight from the bottle.

Thread: Electric Cars.
24/01/2018 11:33:20
Posted by Nigel R on 24/01/2018 11:04:32:

"I know that the Toyota hybrids cannot be towed and cannot tow"

Not every petrol car can be towed, or can tow a caravan either. At some point towing a van will be possible for hybrids. But let's face it, as a caravanner you're a bit of a niche and the hybrids will be aimed at mass market first and foremost.

As for being towed, when was the last time you towed your car anywhere? The last time I towed anything it had carbs , a distributor, and fully manual steering - "some" years ago.

I often see cars being towed by the AA et.al

24/01/2018 10:33:08

I know that the Toyota hybrids cannot be towed and cannot tow. That’s likely to be the case for many similar vehicles which will render caravans and trailers obsolete for those with electric or hybrid vehicles

Thread: Need help charging a Sub C battery pack ?
23/01/2018 12:33:46

I have about a dozen sub c packs. I charge using conventional wall chargers that charge at between 70 and 200 mah.

When I load mine at 1 amp, they usually show about 6.5v.

Thread: Electric Cars.
23/01/2018 10:44:17
Posted by Tom Thomas on 23/01/2018 03:49:48:
SoPosted by ChrisB on 22/01/2018 17:35:15

Unless it had passed you by, this is a model flying forum. Most people fly in the countryside, often from sites that have crops nearby. Clearly there are 'arrivals' in those crops and for the most part that is fine. That can't happen if the field is full of solar panels. I have been flying model aircraft for 27 years since I was 11. I consider it to not just be a pastime to dabble with now and then but part of my life. A purpose built workshop, a modelling van (dirty nasty diesel 2007 covering 2000 miles a year) and over 30 flyable models of all shapes and sizes totalling a small fortune, very much like many hundreds of other aeromodellers. I'm heavily involved in the running of a club including mowing, membership secretary and events.

So yes I am being serious and if that makes me selfish then so be it!

Edited By ChrisB on 22/01/2018 17:41:44

It hasn't passed me by at all, so what you are saying is, farmers have less rights than hobbyists?

Your passion, money and club involvement (and yes this is coming from a fellow hobbyist) pale into insignificance when compared to a farmer who's land is his bread and butter not just a pastime, let's call it what it is, it's a "pastime" it's not a way of life, it's not the be all and all of country life, whereas as farmers life is.

I'm sorry you feel that that you're many models and modes of transporting them are more important...... says a lot about you.

At no time have I mentioned rights, importance, country life or bred and butter. What I said was it would be a shame if a farmer filled his fields with solar panels. He is perfectly entitled to do that if he wishes, but that would cease aeromodelling activities which from my perspective and many thousands of others across the country would be a bad thing! It obviously doesn't bother you, but it would bother me!

Its not my way of life, but part of my life, a significant part, like many for which its a serious hobby that people do whenever they have a spare moment. That is evident at the shows, be it the large expensive and complex models, caravan and camping equipment, vans/vehicles and event attendance every weekend by many pilots and organisers. For many ts not just something they do when they're bored and there's nothing on the TV.

Edited By ChrisB on 23/01/2018 10:45:00

Edited By ChrisB on 23/01/2018 10:53:07

22/01/2018 17:35:15
Posted by Tom Thomas on 22/01/2018 05:01:45:
Posted by ChrisB on 21/01/2018 22:52:12:

I don’t suppose it will John but still, I hate the thought of our farmer filling his fields with solar panels as that would stop us flying completely. At least crops can be overflown.

Can't believe you are being serious with that statement.

Selfishness is ugly.

Oh yes Tom, I am being 100% serious!

Unless it had passed you by, this is a model flying forum. Most people fly in the countryside, often from sites that have crops nearby. Clearly there are 'arrivals' in those crops and for the most part that is fine. That can't happen if the field is full of solar panels. I have been flying model aircraft for 27 years since I was 11. I consider it to not just be a pastime to dabble with now and then but part of my life. A purpose built workshop, a modelling van (dirty nasty diesel 2007 covering 2000 miles a year) and over 30 flyable models of all shapes and sizes totalling a small fortune, very much like many hundreds of other aeromodellers. I'm heavily involved in the running of a club including mowing, membership secretary and events.

So yes I am being serious and if that makes me selfish then so be it!

Edited By ChrisB on 22/01/2018 17:41:44

21/01/2018 22:52:12

I don’t suppose it will John but still, I hate the thought of our farmer filling his fields with solar panels as that would stop us flying completely. At least crops can be overflown.

21/01/2018 22:10:57

Two points from me on this.

Firstly, us modellers shouldn't encourage in land/onshore wind turbines, as I know of several clubs who have suffered as a result and we shouldn't encourage solar farms for the same reason.

In terms of air pollution, according to a piece on Radio 4 a few weeks ago, around 50% of air pollution from vehicles comes from brakes and tyres. People seem to use their brakes far more these days.(those dotted lines at a junction have catch nets apparently) and people don't drive to save tyre wear. Electric vehicles won't solve this problem.

Just look at the dust on your wheels after a few weeks and although we can't see it, the debris from tyre wear...similar to that of the marbles on an F1 track at the end of the race.

Finally there is the total life cost of an electric vehicle, not really any more planet saving than any other vehicle with mineral extraction, shipping, energy generation and disposal.

Thread: Club subs payment methods
20/01/2018 19:17:39

Anyway back to the topic.

Which banks do you use and which is best?

BACS, paypal combined with online access?

CB

20/01/2018 19:15:58
Posted by john stones 1 on 20/01/2018 19:12:57:

Yep you know in 12 months time your subs will be due, not rocket science is it ? However we have no ceiling on membership nor waiting list, we can pay our way if some pay later. I've clubmates who've turned up at my house a couple of months late with their subs, turns out some have been ill or in hospital or even been struggling for money, penalise them ? No thanks.

Insurance you must have, club will put it in if you're struggling though, always been paid back on the rare occasions it's been done.

I.C or lecky, Mode 1 or Mode 2 ? Now that's serious stuff. wink

Yep I agree no penalty if there are understandable reasons as you list above John.

20/01/2018 19:03:03

No pay no fly? Who polices that?

20/01/2018 17:51:42

We introduced a £5 penalty if paid after 31st January. Subs can be paid from the December meeting which is the second Monday in December until the 31st without penalty.

The way we see it is everyone gets notice from early November of the subs, they can currently pay by cheque or cash, by post, at a meeting, at the field or come to my house. BMFA isn't an issue for us, as we just do the committee for affiliation and everyone else is a country member and the online portal is a godsend!

We introduced the penalty to encourage people to pay in a timely manner. There was a time when people would renew in April and May. While that's ok in principle BUT. Does that mean they can't use the club until they've paid their subs? How do we (the committee) know who is going to rejoin, how many members we'll end up with, if we need a waiting list, should we turn down new members and how much money will we have in the year, to help us plan events etc.

Finally, the BMFA expires on 31st Dec. That's it! The same with car insurance, gym membership, trade cards, golf clubs etc etc etc. Within reason (hence the 31st Jan), why should we be any different?

Thread: Heater for my shed
20/01/2018 17:42:07

The only thing about fan heaters and other such element heaters is the risk of flash from dust.

Oil filled is the only way to go in my opinion

20/01/2018 17:23:41

Its interesting how we all do the same job and appear to have the same views on it all. We all have similar approaches and many of the members don't know they're born!

20/01/2018 14:58:25

One thing that could be improved from a BMFA perspective is the need to post membership cards. For those who have an email address, a simple email certificate could be used, no different to car insurance.

This could also be done for club membership cards.

20/01/2018 14:55:35

Thanks chaps, that's been very helpful.

What providers do you use? We currently use a 'clubs and societies' account with HSBC. I don't know if there is an electronic option on that account but i'm sure it could be arranged.

We have about 90 members, so it is a bit of work.

Thread: Heater for my shed
20/01/2018 10:50:11

A small oil filled radiator will do the job Glyn

**LINK**

20/01/2018 09:56:05

With online/electronic transfer banking being common place these days I wondered what other clubs do about payments?

We currently accept cash or cheque and our account doesn't have an online option to my knowledge. Inevitably cheques will cease at some point and branches are closing or reducing their opening hours.

Several of our members have asked if they can pay electronically which in itself isn't a problem, as a basic BACS will suffice. The key issue as I see it is reconciling who has paid against a reference number and being able to access a list of transactions more frequently that once a month when a statement is posted through the door.

How do other clubs operate?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us