By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scott Edwards 2

Here is a list of all the postings Scott Edwards 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tony N 50mm fan TSR2
28/09/2020 07:32:20

Looking forward to one of these myself when they're released to us mortals 😁 It looks like a single fan - about 70mm ? I think Tony's prototype had a pair of 50mm ones. What does the plan show now ?

Thread: Getting Hard To Buy Lipo's
23/09/2020 16:15:10

Just wanted to point out we still have a British glow engine manufacturer - Laser Engines. They also happen to be made with the best quality materials available, and to the highest engineering standards. What's more, they are considerably cheaper than their far East imported equivalents. Every penny you spend is invested in that Laser - no importer costs, distributor costs, currency fluctuations, or retailer overheads !

Thread: Future balsa supplies in UK
20/09/2020 20:00:06

Well said Alan. I desperately hope SLEC & Balsa Cabin find an alternative supplier, they're both fabulous companies that have supported the hobby for decades.

If balsa goes up, then so do ARTF's, laser cut kits and boxed kits. Wooden ARTF's have already almost disappeared, this could be the death knell.

Thread: Old Warden.....URGENT!
16/09/2020 10:38:22

I believe the need for online booking is for their 'Track and Trace' procedures. They are worried about long queues whilst collecting everybody's name, address, email etc. Book online and you can go straight in - after having your temperature checked of course !

Thread: Import and VAT
11/09/2020 19:32:35

It looks like from January 1st goods from the EU could be treated just like goods from the USA are currently. That's 20% VAT, 2.5% Customs duty, plus whatever the Royal Mail feel like adding for deigning to 'handle' it for us.

Thread: Laser 80 - what would YOU build for it....?
11/09/2020 14:07:17

A wonderful combo is a Wots Wot ARTF. There will be a small gap between the spinner and cowl, but it's a fabulous pairing.

Thread: The Restorers
06/08/2020 11:50:35

A Google search immediately identifies the free plan on Outerzone, similarly I covered a model in Nylon & Dope for the first time last year, and a 10 minute YouTube video shows the method very well. It's only a 51" model with a cheap 2 stroke in it, and the poor sap at the end reckoned it could be worth £2500.

But ! It was a very rare and positive piece on aeromodelling, which can only be a good thing !

Thread: Propeller safety
19/07/2020 08:49:32

Whenever I'm starting an IC engine I mentally slow everything down, and consciously make very wide, slow exaggerated movements. It makes you very aware of where your hands are. I know I look like a knob, but I've never even had a tickle in 30 years.

Thread: switch harness
17/07/2020 10:35:18

I use these regularly without problems - but, only the branded Futaba or JR ones. There are many cheap Chinese ones out there, the clue is the hard plastic wire. Avoid ....

Thread: DB Hurricane paint and finish.
01/07/2020 12:04:47
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 01/07/2020 11:38:22:

Will the thinners eat enamel though? I like enamel's as they are easy to spray and easy to work with. I also dont need to set up a biohazard exclusion zone around the shed to cover off the fumes. The snag is, they melt when you spray over them

I don't know ☹️ You're very welcome to blag my supply of the stuff to have a go with though ?

01/07/2020 11:13:38

For painting large models I've switched to useing automotive basecoat paint and 2K laquer. Totally fuel proof, and lovely to work with, but you do need an eff off mask. Max Meyer do a semi gloss (code 0750) coupled with their fast hardener (code 8000) and their universal thinners. I use it to fuel proof engine bays too. Nothing gets through it.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
25/06/2020 11:29:31

It says a lot when the customer base is begging a supplier to raise their prices 🤣

A 150/155 in a Wot 4 XL is a perfect combo, I've seen several and a 180 would probably be too heavy and unnecessarily overpowered (yes there IS such a concept)

Anyway, I'm off to Old Warden to Chuck a gallon of reduced oil fuel through the snorting carbs of a 360v ... Yeahhhhhhhh

Thread: Just Engines geared starter
09/06/2020 14:18:40

Another vote for the 6:1 type. Grips a 6 inch spinner and churns over my Laser 360v a treat. Even though Just Engines say don't run them on a Lipo - we all do, and accept the risk. I use a 5s 3000ma and haven't had any problems in 4 years.

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
27/05/2020 11:51:43
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 27/05/2020 11:41:56:

If you visit him on Facebook you will see he is being very busy and productive:

**LINK**

Great news ! Thanks Alan 👍

27/05/2020 11:30:51
Posted by David perry 1 on 18/05/2020 15:05:41:

When will the twin fan model be available Tony?

David

I've noticed Tony hasn't been on this forum for several months now, I hope all is well ?

Thread: Which Glue
27/05/2020 08:39:00

Cyano - Fast, brittle, expensive, fills small gaps, hard to sand.

PVA - (Titebond) Slow, cheap, doesn't fill gaps, sands nicely.

Epoxy - Reasonably quick, expensive, strong, fills gaps, hard to sand.

PU - Slow, cheapish, expands to fill gaps, can be messy, sands very well.

All of the above work on balsa and ply, and everyone has their preference. Try them all and you will soon find yours 👍

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
22/05/2020 17:06:40

A 16*8 is perfect for a 155, so that's a great excuse to buy a new engine as you already have a prop for it 😁👍

For my 180's I use an 18*8 or a 20*6. For scale, I like the wooden Falcon 20*6 from Propguy. For sporty stuff I've tried the Gsonic, Master Airscrew and Menz 18*8. I prefer the Menz, then the Gsonic, the Master Airscrew is a bit heavy.

I've never found an APC 18*8 but would like to try one.

21/05/2020 12:27:17

I tinkered with using a single glow battery for my Vees with mixed success. If you can safely get two glow sticks on the plugs that's great, but on most installations you can't.

I now use two cheap 12v power panels, each running off a 3S 1000ma Lipo. Each glow plug is on a different circuit, via a 3.5mm jack plug. It gives me flexibility to give each plug whatever amps it needs, and control them individually from a safe distance. I can then use either panel on my Laser singles too.

Certainly works for me anyway 👍

14/05/2020 14:42:20

Really useful info, many thanks Tim ! I'm hoping to switch to low oil for my Lasers when my current supply runs out.

14/05/2020 14:13:31

Tim - Did the engine need to be re-tuned much to run on the lower oil fuel ?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!