By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scott Edwards 2

Here is a list of all the postings Scott Edwards 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
07/05/2019 14:27:16

The CAA are not daft, far from it. They know that 170,000 registrations is rubbish, and they are fully aware of all the objections we are going to throw at them. Therefore - there is a hidden agenda here, and I suspect it's all about the long term commercial value of airspace.

As Drone automation technology inexorably increases, bodies will be approaching the UK Government for access and control of low level airspace. This has huge commercial value, and the Government will look to make a fortune from it.

You can't "sell the sky" to Amazon, Google or Microsoft if any Tom Dick or Harry can stick an Acro Wot in their way. Therefore you have to slowly, and gradually regulate these out of the picture.

As a group of 40 thousand or so, we are irrelevant, a relatively small but annoying thorn obstructing a huge commercial commodity, and they want us squashed. Registration is sadly I fear, just the beginning.

Thread: Wots with chris foss?
07/05/2019 13:58:16

I spent 6 months trying to find a Wots Wot ARTF, I eventually found one last week in Abergavenny, possibly the last one available! There's very few ARTFs in the country, Hangar 9's, Great Planes, YT International and Blackhorse all seem to be drying up or gone. The few that are left have got damned expensive too.

One big reason I think is foam, the cost of manufacturing an injection molded foamy is peanuts compared to a labour intensive scale ARTF, so the profit margins are greater. Add that to the reduced demand for ARTF's and before you know it they're gone. Both of my clubs are 50% foam now , that must have an impact?

Thread: TN large scale Wellington Bomber
01/05/2019 23:20:30

India! How fantastic, I bet you get 365 good flying days a year there, we're lucky to get 3 🤣

The mainwheels were difficult to source, I found some 7 inch Sullivan Skylites in the end. Tailwheel is a problem too, and that was scratch built in the end. Everything else is off the shelf, or easy to make, like machine guns made from Biro pens. The plan is easy to get your head round, and the cut parts are accurate enough.

01/05/2019 18:26:33

I've made the rear turret removable, so the finished fuse is about 2.5 meters long for transport. I can measure more accurately if you wish. I can *just* fit it in a Mondeo Estate, anything smaller, then you would probably have to split the fuselage. That all adds weigh, and if you hit 20Kg it must go through the LMA inspection program of course.

01/05/2019 09:12:24

I've just finished one. I got my retracts from Dave Brown at Premier UK Retracts. Beautifully made.

The build isn't complicated, but it's surprisingly big and bulky, especially the fuselage. Make sure you can transport it. Also, keep the back end as light as possible, mine came out at 19.5Kg, just under the LMA limit thankfully. If like me it's your first model nudging 20Kg, you will find it's a money hoover too. It sucks up an awful lot of glue and materials !

Thread: If you only had one engine to use, which one would it be.
11/03/2019 19:22:40

Laser 180 single. It's the Harley Davidson of engines. Big solid, thumper that just goes and goes. It's bulletproof too. If there was a nuclear war, the only things that wouldn't notice would be Laser 180's.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
16/02/2019 18:00:01

Oh my word! It's not just me then! I would get about 8300 on a very old 150 with an APC 16*8. Roll on 20 years, and I get about 8100 on a 155 on a new prop in the same model. But -There's definitely more performance. Maybe APC have subtley changed design with greater efficiency but also greater inertia?

Thread: Saws..A Cutting Question.
31/01/2019 21:31:34
Another vote for a bandsaw ! I never use my fretsaw. Most bandsaws are huuuge but I've got the Proxxon one. It ain't cheap, but is small enough to lift easily onto the workbench when you need it. It cuts balsa beautifuly using the 176 blade, and up to 1/4 ply. Thicker stuff too if you're gentle. I build some big models, and couldn't live without it.

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 31/01/2019 21:32:03

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
18/12/2018 17:11:52

I popped into Laser HQ this week, and whilst there Jon very kindly showed me the new GA30. It's a beautifully engineered piece of kit, and will be well worth the wait 👍
Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
22/09/2018 10:59:32

Thought I'd bump this one with a pic of my newly finished BF109G !

Just over 1/5 scale at 2010mm span from a German plan (that was interesting!) Laser 180 single and Lado electric retracts. Canopy from Vortex Vacforms and cowling from JPWarbirds in the Czech Republic. Huge 6 inch spinner was scratch built by a fellow club member with far far superior skills than me !

fb_img_1536962000937.jpg

Thread: Government Consultation on Drone Flying in the UK.
25/08/2018 09:47:27

Just completed it, and thought most of it was subversive. They don't define what "certain circumstances" are, and then force you to commit to legislation of some sort based on these unknown circumstances.

My favourite question...

Q106. How do you rate the assumptions that growth in commercial drone users will continue according to the quadratic trend that best fits historical data?

Really? 😂😂

Thread: Austerity BF109G
21/08/2018 14:24:44

Well, one of the first rules of aeromodelling applies: What the wife never finds out about, you can get away with 😁

21/08/2018 10:17:15

I've always fancied a 1/5 BF109G so looked at the price of cut plans like the Dave Platt one. I was astonished ! About £470 for the cut parts, plan and a couple of plastic mouldings ! Yikes !! I'm not that rich, and being a natural cheapskate decided to see how little I could do it for by picking up bits and pieces here and there.

Plan from Ebay was £13, Cowling was £35 from a chap in Poland, Canopy was a tenner from Vortex Vacforms plus a bundle of balsa from SLEC. I reckon I got all of the airframe and bits in for well under £100, that's about 20% of a cut kit price.

It's not going to win any scale competitions, and it's a bit wonky here and there, but goes to show that by using the small cottage industries that still exist, you can spend 6 months knee deep in balsa dust for a tiny fraction of the flashy moulded stuff you can pay thousands for and have delivered the next day.

It's now ready to prime and paint, AUW is looking like 17lb with a Laser 180 and Lado electric retracts. Going for the evil looking sand brown Tropical scheme. kulou

imag2261_small.jpg

imag2256.jpg

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
02/08/2018 20:21:20

Ooooh Tom, that's a bit mean 😃 Jon works his butt off to build us beautifully engineered engines at VERY reasonable prices. We've got too used to the 'must have now' mentality. Quality is still worth waiting for 👍

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
24/06/2018 22:36:36

You're definitely on the home straight now ! I will measure mine tomorrow and see if it's grown 😃
It's not an easy build is it !

24/05/2018 09:55:37

My 180 is going into a plan built Bf109G, about 1/5 scale. It's a glorious engine for large warbirds, solid as a rock, pulls like a train, simple to operate and no cooling issues !
24/05/2018 09:12:26

Not a technical question, but I picked up my new 180 from Jon yesterday. The quality of engineering, attention to detail and finish is just astonishing, never ceases to amaze me. They're a masterpiece of high-end British engineering. Cheers Jon!

Thread: P51 forced landing Duxford 2017
19/05/2018 08:31:45

Cheers Jon, very interesting. Nice quote in there, "Fly the aircraft as far as possible into the crash". I know that feeling well 😱
Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
10/05/2018 20:41:58
Watching very closely Greg! I've built one for PSS. I would have loved to have built a full EDF one, but expense and lack of a decent runway killed that. Very interesed in watching yours grow 👍
24/04/2018 07:41:57

Love how this has turned into a naming competition like a new Blue Peter kitten 🤣

G stands for Glow as well as Gasoline (could be onfusing) whereas P for Petrol has a lovely British feel.

Very pleased Glow engine production is starting up again, I will keep up my daily prayers for a 180 to appear 😁
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us