By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scott Edwards 2

Here is a list of all the postings Scott Edwards 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/05/2018 09:12:26

Not a technical question, but I picked up my new 180 from Jon yesterday. The quality of engineering, attention to detail and finish is just astonishing, never ceases to amaze me. They're a masterpiece of high-end British engineering. Cheers Jon!

Thread: P51 forced landing Duxford 2017
19/05/2018 08:31:45

Cheers Jon, very interesting. Nice quote in there, "Fly the aircraft as far as possible into the crash". I know that feeling well 😱
Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
10/05/2018 20:41:58
Watching very closely Greg! I've built one for PSS. I would have loved to have built a full EDF one, but expense and lack of a decent runway killed that. Very interesed in watching yours grow 👍
Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/04/2018 07:41:57

Love how this has turned into a naming competition like a new Blue Peter kitten 🤣

G stands for Glow as well as Gasoline (could be onfusing) whereas P for Petrol has a lovely British feel.

Very pleased Glow engine production is starting up again, I will keep up my daily prayers for a 180 to appear 😁
17/04/2018 19:48:38
12,690 RPM from a Laser on an 18inch prop 😂 Are you sure you haven't got the tacho set to 3 Blade?
17/04/2018 14:36:16

I ran my 180 in last year on an 18x8 Master Aircrew Classic, and am still using the same prop in a big Spit. The 180 is such a beautiful engine, an absolute joy to install and operate. It took a couple of hours flying (largely flat out) for it to really come on song.

Thread: HS 2
22/02/2018 07:32:51

I'm in Aylesbury, our flying site is OK, but HS2 is going through several local facilities including a rifle club and golf club I belong to. It appears that the compensation scheme is based on the previous few years rent. Therefore, landowners are asking for huge rent increases from clubs before the diggers move in.

I'm in favour of infrastructure investment, but this is a 250mph train line, 100 meters wide, with no footpaths across it or level crossings.

Through Aylesbury it's basically going to be like the Berlin Wall, dividing the whole area into two. It's going to be a decade plus of disruption, and doesn't even stop, so is of no benefit to anyone here.

I'm willing to be persuaded this is a good idea, and want to listen, particularly to the voices of people who want to travel on this new line, but where are they? Anyone?

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 22/02/2018 07:33:38

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
16/02/2018 20:25:48

Greg - 550g of lead shot mixed with slow epoxy, pushed through a small hole in the nose and allowed to settle with the fuselage pointing downwards.
16/02/2018 10:14:00

My PSS version is now ready to hit the air ! I thought it would be like building a simple flying wing, but it aint ! It was surprisingly complex, and a 78" Vulcan is much bigger than you might think ! I reckon it was around 400 hours work over 6 months. It's very satisfying to build though All Up Weight is 6Kg, including 550g of lead up it's snitch to balance.

imag2016.jpg

imag2026.jpg

16/02/2018 10:06:44

Looking good ! Some of those great long Lite Ply ribs in my kit were very twisted, and made life 'fun', looks like your's is a peach though. Coming along nicely !

11/02/2018 10:32:58

Looking good! I've nearly finished my PSS version. It's a great build, but surprisingly complicated in places. I made a few cockups! Be careful of where the trailing edge of the wings mate with the fuselage in particular.

The bit I found really difficult was sawing between the ribs to separate the wings. I made a right old mess of it, but easily remedied by facing them with thin balsa and lots of filler 😁

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 11/02/2018 10:33:33

Thread: One Eighteenth of a Canberra B.2
08/02/2018 09:38:49

Great news the cut kits are available at last ! I'm torn between the Canberra and Hurricane too... I want to take part in the Mass Build, but having seen the Canberra fly she's an absolute pocket-rocket and as aerobatic as you like. Hmmmmm.....
Thread: Paint masking Advice
02/02/2018 08:06:46

I played about with soft edges using foam tape and even rolled blu-tac! The results were OK, but then I worked out how much it would cost to do a large model in camo. Holy crap! You need miles of the stuff. I only do hard edges now, and use 3M Vinyl tape. Lovely and bendy, and a tiny fraction of the price of soft edged stuff.

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
15/12/2017 08:36:28

90 inch Span O/D Spitfire. Bit of a hotch potch of versions ! Laser 180 single. Managed to keep the weight down to 19lbs which gives a lovely scale flight performance.

imag1374_small.jpg

imag1372.jpg

15/12/2017 08:16:38

Cambria Funfighter Zero with Laser 45. Possibly the Worlds only 4 stroke Funfighter ?? laugh

imag1694.jpg

15/12/2017 08:14:40

What a great idea !

Flair Hannibal on big old floats. Early prototype Laser 150. 27 years old and still going like stink ! (That's the engine, not the Mrs)

imag1848.jpg

Thread: DOH!
02/11/2017 08:09:08
Managed to cyano my glasses onto my head.

Put a big new molded glider together in the lounge. Lifted one wingtip without realising the other was under the sofa. Crunch.

Four aborted takeoffs before I remembered you take off INTO wind, not downwind. Explained the giggling form 'mates'though.

Setting fire to the carpet with molten lead, panicking and trying to put it out with Cyano kicker.

Believing the person who told me you can pour molten lead into a glider nose. You can't.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
07/10/2017 16:09:06
Great write up! Thank you everso much once again.

Really sorry I couldn't be there this weekend, I'm waiting for a cataract op, and have now had to stop flying temporarily. Things will be much clearer in 2018 though 😀
Thread: Cataract surgery and model flying.
01/10/2017 20:34:22

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences, it's been very interesting and encouraging ! As I'm short sighted anyway, I'm told I could have near vision lenses. I would need glasses for distance, but will be able to read (and build models!) without specs. These astigmatism lenses that were mentioned are very interesting too, looking into that !

Cheers guys,
Scott
30/09/2017 11:42:23

I'm would be really interested in anyones experience of having cataract surgery, and its effect on flying models?

I'm waiting to have mine done, and have now had to stop flying as I'm simply not safe. Often when flying gliders, particularly in bright sunlight, they would just turn into fuzzy blobs

If you've had cataract surgery, what lenses did you choose? How long was it before you could fly again? Any problems or different choices you would make? Any personal experience very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us