By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scott Edwards 2

Here is a list of all the postings Scott Edwards 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: One Eighteenth of a Canberra B.2
08/10/2016 23:42:23
Well, despite my best efforts, I have ended up with surfaces to paint that are as smooth as Tutankhamen's genitals. My cure is Upol High 5 Filler Primer from Halfords. Not cheap, but by 'eck it works. I've used all sorts of paint on top of it and never had a problem. Halfords do a cheaper Filler Primer, but it's hard as nails and doesn't fill anything like as well.
Thread: What has happened to all the Warbird kits?????
06/10/2016 22:44:36
"Traditional" scale kits seem to have disappeared in favour of CNC cut plans. Tony Nijhuis stuff is ace, and some perfect options for a Laser 120.

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 06/10/2016 22:45:33

05/10/2016 20:09:12
Well, the tea looks like its been passed by the Devil himself, and you're two biscuits short of a 'proper' tea break. But - your tissue covering technique is immaculate
Thread: Kit builders, what would you like???
25/09/2016 14:30:25
I too have 6 planes with Futaba PCM 35 Smegahertz Rx's in. I go to the strip and instead of shouting 'Channel 80' I now shout '35 Megs' and claim channels 58 to 88 inclusive.

I have 2.4, but can't really tell any difference apart from not having an ariel wire trailing about, so I'm in no rush to change everything.
Thread: Steve McLaren's version of the A4 Skyhawk
07/09/2016 22:58:51
Nice job Steve ! How did you get on with the tissue and varnish ?
07/09/2016 20:33:27
Looking damned fine ! Steve McVortex knocks out damned good stuff doesn't he

Idea ... Could the nose transparency be made detachable and held on by magnets ? It could pop off in a crunch and be easier to replace ? It could also be used to gain access to nose weight or even a switch ?
17/08/2016 15:01:52

I can understand that on a lightweight open structure, excessive shrinkage is a real problem. For covering solid sheet though, like a fuselage, is it still a problem ?

Question 2: I've found that compared to dope, using acrylic varnish on tissue makes it much more 'stretchy' and easier to get round gentle curves. Is there a better technique with dope & tissue that makes it as stretchy as acrylic ?

And finally .... your sanding tool idea for planking !! I've made a couple, and damn they work !!! I put some sandpaper on the outside too though for grip, I found that a bare cardboard surface on the outside was insecure in the palm, and having a sheet on the outside too makes a huge difference.

imag1480.jpg

imag1481.jpg

25/07/2016 12:09:50
Fantastic work. Puts me to shame. I've been luck enough to see it in the flesh, and that planking has no filler folks ! My planking looks like a Christmas cake in comparison.

For colour schemes, I've become a big fan of 'some' contrast, I'm a big camo fan, but different lower & upper surfaces will provide plenty of contrast.
10/07/2016 09:03:40

Trying to avoid the 'threepenny" planking look is my personal nemesis I very much like the idea of a bespoke curved sanding sheet. I will deffo try that ! Will the fuselage need a layer of filler, or (as I suspect) is it so bloody perfect you can see your face in it ?

For ballast, how big is the wing joining tube ? Could that double as a ballast tube ?

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 10/07/2016 09:04:25

Thread: What to put my Laser 80 in?
06/07/2016 20:28:34
I know you said scale/semi scale, but I have my Laser 80 in an ARTF WotsWot and I'm loving it ! Fits in the car in one piece, and is perfectly powered and balanced by the 80. If you fancy a bipe these really are sorted. Only minor negative is that the cowl isn't quite long enough and there is a 5mm gap between cowl and spinner.
Thread: One ninth of a Canberra
03/07/2016 02:24:42

Well, finally, after seemingly months of rubbish sloping weather - this thing has flown at last ! Ivinghoe Beacon had a perfectly strong Westerly, and Andy Blackburn, myself and Steve McLaren trudged up there for the maiden of this Canberra and Steves rather splendid Mozzie ! (see elsewhere for that I'm sure!)

Launching was the normal two man run and release method, always fun to watch, and off it went. The CG was definitely on the twitchy side, and very elevator sensitive, yet flyable. It had a nice time in the air before I rather carelessly allowed it to slip out of the lift on the left of the slope and did a rather ungraceful arrival. It got away with a cracked fin, but it's taught me what to adjust and tweak before the next outing.

Many thanks to Andy & Steve, who also took the photos !

img_6776.jpg

_mg_0895.jpg

_mg_0941_editted.jpg

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 03/07/2016 02:26:00

30/06/2016 10:27:21
Having been lucky enough to see this in the flesh, the quality and accuracy of Andy's work shows me how much I still have to learn. This is going to be a beautiful Madel, and a classic PSS design.
15/06/2016 11:27:08
Damned good planking there. Are they all 1/8 thick ? For the solid infill tail end, at a guess you can hack out some of the inside to save weight ?

Any comedy quips from the Mrs about building a balsa cucumber ?

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 15/06/2016 11:27:54

Thread: End of an era
03/06/2016 09:30:06
I have two 150's, one is from the very first prototype batch made in 1991 ! It's currently in its 8th model - an H9 Funtana. It must have had hundreds of hours running, and still goes like a train. Never missed a beat, just oiled and adjusted the tappets and the bloody thing will outlive me
Thread: Steve McLaren's version of the A4 Skyhawk
02/06/2016 08:30:07
Lovin' your improvised weights ! Quality out of the box thinking there. I eventually succumbed and bought a dozen door stops from B&Q, pick out the dented ones and they're 2 quid each
02/06/2016 08:15:35
Really pleased you've got this project going again. A new plan from the Blackburn stable is always an event. Following with great interest !
Thread: Who's Attending...
09/05/2016 10:11:32
I'm there on the Saturday ! Bringing some sacrificial foamy things along too depending on where the wind's blowing
Thread: F22 Foamy for PSS????
28/04/2016 07:20:00
Definitely go for it,whatever happens it will be fun. The Hanger 9 F22 slopes OK. It's not scale of course, and intended for IC, not EDF so is less draggy. I've got one ready for a go ! It was this vid that tempted me ..
https://youtu.be/1eXB1fw6KkE
27/04/2016 08:15:12
I tried a couple, the FlyFly F22 and an EFlite F15. I just about got them to fly into wind, and then carefully crab sideways. If you try to fly them across the slope though, they won't turn back into the wind. The conclusion I came to was that the wing planform and section needs airspeed to operate. Drop the airspeed (as in across the slope) and they just fall out of the sky ! It was fun having a go though Bigger slopes could be better, and I have a Hanger 9 Raptor kit that keeps looking at me saying "yeah, gimme a go"

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 27/04/2016 08:16:22

26/04/2016 19:16:31
Is it the FlyFly F 22 Raptor ? If so, please can I watch ? Pleeeease ? It will fly nice and flat, but tragically only in one direction. Downwards
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us