By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scott Edwards 2

Here is a list of all the postings Scott Edwards 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
19/09/2015 07:57:02
I've been monitoring the forecasts past few days, and alas that's the first time I've ever seen "0 mph" predicted Sadly it's just too far and too expensive a journey for me not to fly. Hope you have a good day though, and fingers crossed for more Bwlch PSS days.
Thread: One ninth of a Canberra
14/09/2015 12:55:15

Doesn't look much different to last time, but lots of the fiddly bits are now done. Nose and tail are shaped, all the waggly bits are cut out, faced and prepared for hinging, the servo cables are in, the fin leading edge shaped and glued in place and lumps and bumps filled in !

The fuselage is covered from the fin forwards, but needs a few more coats of Varnish before rubbing down ready for primer. I have to admit that I used glass cloth for the forward fuselage. My planking was a bit rubbish in places and I had thin patches, so I sucked up my pride and resorted to 34gsm cloth for added strength.

Keen eyes will spot the obvious lack of engine nacelles !! Andy Blackburn, he who designed the half sized version of this thing, is currently updating his plan, and knocking me up a set of double sized nacelle plans ! Bless him. The idea is to use a central crutch with formers, and then plank over the top. Should be nice and light.

I keep an eye on weight as I go, my local slope is a bit girly, so things have to be kept really light. Everything in these photos, is a smidge under 7lb which I'm pretty chuffed with, and nicely aiming for that 12lb AUW target.

19.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

14/09/2015 12:35:04

Craftsman ? Me ? Oh bless you Erfolg, I know people who would roll about laughing at me being described as a craftsman haha ! I am in truth a very very average basher of the holy balsa bush. Take a look at some of the stuff that Matt Jones or Andy Blackburn produce, now THATS craftsmanship. My aim is to build simple practical flying models using basic techniques, and also to prove that if I can do it, then really anyone can.

Anyhow - progress update ! Covering has commenced, and Austerity covering it is too. Big stuff can be a money hoover. 12 rolls of Profilm ? That's two hundred pounds sir. Glass cloth is 6 quid a square meter, plus epoxy at 15 quid a pint too. Yikes !

So what's the alternative ? Acrylic varnish and tissue. I like Poly-C, but that's £20 a litre. As far as I can research, Poly-C is 'Minwax Polycrylic' made by Ronseal and is the same stuff as their Interior 'Diamond Hard' Varnish. I've used both, smelled both, tasted both (yuk) and damned if I can tell any difference ! The Poly-C guys say they've added a magic ingredient, but that's possibly a drip of PVA if anything.

So - you can get a large tin of the Ronseal stuff for £25, decant it into 1 pint milk bottles and that's the equivalent of Poly-C at half the price. Bonus !

Tissue is, gulp, 30p a sheet ! Do these people think I'm made of money !!!!???

Pic of Scotts Austerity covering kit below. £30 quid all in. The brown sheet is 'Tufnel' from directplastics.co.uk Amazing stuff, tough as nuts and easy to work with. From one sheet of that you can cut about 50 bespoke surface control horns for tuppence ha'penny hahahah I love this hobby

18.jpg

Thread: PSSA Gliding Events 2019
14/09/2015 08:41:23

Just as Andy says - I'm turning up smiley

For other flyers who are thinking about it, do come, even if it's just to check out the Bwlch for the first time ! It's truly an amazing place. With so many slopes, local knowledge is invaluable, so just coming along for a guided tour by the local flyers will be a great experience.

Out of interest Steve, will we have the key to the gate that goes up to the SW and W slopes ?

01/09/2015 12:33:09

Isn't it nice when you get to the point when you can assemble a model for the first time !

About 90% of the balsa is now bashed. Nose piece, wing tips, curved fin leading edge and nacelles to go. Lots of filling and making good required though. I managed to put my thumb through a wing skin just for good measure as well grrrrrr....

The only tricky thing so far, is that the fuselage is round, so rolls about like a cold sausage on a paper plate at a party. The tail alignment went OK though ! When I built one fuselage side, I put in a hard balsa strip on the central datum line where the base of the tail sits. It was therefore a case of hacking slots in the fuselage so I could slide the tail through from one side and sit it on this datum strip.

Not that far from covering now. The fuselage is bit thin in places (my planking skills still leave much to be desired) so that's going to be glass cloth and Poly-C or equivalent. All other surfaces will be tissue and Poly-C.

I've had a weigh in too. The whole lot in these photos comes in at 2620 grams , nicely under 6lb which I'm quite pleased with. My target is 10lb all up, plus 2lb nose weight, so I'm on target (ish)

Only bit I'm not looking forward to is making the canopy plug, but Matt Jones Vixen log has really given me some fabulous ideas on that, but that's months away !

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

01/09/2015 12:03:07

Wet bank holiday weekends are what aeromodelling was made for eh !

The wings are now fully skinned, and the fuselage is in one piece. The fuse is round of course, and the wing roots are flat, so there is that gap between root and fuse that would normally require a stub-wing of some sort.

I've tried an alternative method that seems to have worked quite well. I damped some 1/8 balsa, and moulded it around the fuselage side and taped the edges down. Then mount the wing, and fill the gaps between the wing root and the 1/8th sheet with scrap balsa & PVA. When dry, remove from the fuselage, trim the excess 1/8 sheet away and then sheet the wing as normal to the edge of this curved 'false' root. You end up with a lovely curved wing root that mates to the fuselage perfectly. I was rather chuffed ! When the fuselage is covered, I will use the car body filler trick, and the fuselage/wing root joins should be almost invisible.

14.jpg

Thread: PSS Tornado F.3
01/09/2015 11:38:21

Well frankly your Mrs should be grateful you did it outside ! Plus she shouldn't be smoking anyway, so that's 2 : 1 to you I reckon

Looking good though ! At a guess it's accurate to within a micron knowing you too.

Another factor in covering is expense, particularly for larger models. Glass/Epoxy or Profilm comes out at about £10 per square metre, tissue and Acrylic varnish is wayyyy less. It all adds up.

I reckon that Ronseal Acrylic Interior Varnish (the 'Diamond Hard' stuff) is the same gloop as Poly-C. They say Poly-C has a magic additive, but that's probably just a blob of PVA if anything. A man size tin of the Ronseal works out at half the price of Poly-C too.

I'm biased because I'm allergic to epoxy, but the conclusion I've reached, is that if you want to cover a balsa surface for painting, then tissue and varnish is great. It takes paint beautifully, never wrinkles, and is easily repaired. For increased structural integrity, then something else is better (but more expensive!)

24/08/2015 12:25:29

Got some major wingage work done over the wet weekend. The wing is really nice to build, and the accuracy of Andy Blackburns' plan is astonishing. The flat bottom means you can weigh it down and build it really accurately. The only tricky bit is getting the wing spar/joiner holes aligned which dictates the dihedral.

I've got a dihedral difference of 3mm between wingtips, but at this scale, heck ! I can live with that.

As for a finishing deadline - SEPTEMBER ???!!! hahahah very funny Steve. Next March is more like. I've learned from previous projects that getting the basic balsa airframe finished is still only a fraction of the overall timescale.

Picture of all the bits and pieces below, it reminds me of the Eric Morcombe quote - All the notes are there but they are not necessarily in the right order !

11.jpg

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 24/08/2015 12:26:31

20/08/2015 20:17:50

I built each stabiliser and elevator in one piece, so I could cut the elevators out. First time I've tried that and it's worked very well ! First time I've built a tail with dihedral too ! It looks pretty cool Overall span of the tail is a tad over 36 inches, it would make a good flying wing.

10.jpg

17/08/2015 23:12:07

I said earlier that I didn't mind planking. I wish to withdraw that statement. It's sending me ever so slightly (more) nutty now.

About half way through the right hand fuse half. If anyone tells me I've built two right hand sides haha that's not funny. I know. I've done that before. I've built two right hand wings before too.

9.jpg

Thread: PSS Tornado F.3
16/08/2015 23:35:30
Well pleased your mojo has turned up again

Do you think the B&Q acrylic varnish would work well with tissue ?
15/08/2015 23:36:00

This is the closest I could get to a raspberry ripple Cranberry. I now need to bleach my eyes.

colour17.jpg

15/08/2015 23:21:55

Andy Blackburn, him who designed this plan, and thoroughly top spiffing chap, has not only redesigned the wings to work better at x2 scale, but also printed me off a set of double sized wing rib patterns ! To ice the cake, he even delivered them personally to me on his new Triumph Bonneville (which I am not jealous of in any way incidentally)

You meet the most fabulous people through this hobby, you really do

The re-designed wing is an Eppler 205 centre section and Clark Y outer panels. This makes the whole wing flat bottomed, which for an intermediate builder like myself is ace.

So, I've spent some quality time with my band saw. Did I say I've got a band saw ? I might have mentioned I have a band saw. I like my band saw. I may have mentioned that.

8.jpg

14/08/2015 23:04:35

The colour scheme jury is still out at the mo, possibly light stone, maybe sea grey/dark green camo, maybe silver ... I'm sure it will emerge with time !

Knocked up some tailplane halves. 2.4 mm skin over 3.2 mm ribbing. Nice and light ! My regular slope is Ivinghoe Beacon, the big slopes like the Orme are a very rare treat, so this things gotta be light. I'm aiming for under 12 lbs, so that's an airframe weight of under 10 lbs plus the inevitable lump of 24 carat lead up front.

Tailplane halves have significant dihedral, so have to be built in two halves with an angled ply joiner inserted vertically. I'm trying to make them with elevators that I can cut out, so trailing edge is elevated by half the rib width. Havn't tried that before .....

7.jpg

14/08/2015 12:46:05
Saw pics of your Cranberry Matt and that was one of my influences ! 110 inches though, that's a fuselage over 9 feet long ! Sheesh ! How do you transport that thing ??
14/08/2015 12:26:07

Even though the fuselage is round, its a complex curve on both ends, so the most realistic and cheapest option for this size is planking. Some people hate planking, others love it. I'm somewhere in the middle, but do enjoy seeing beautiful curved shapes emerge from flat balsa.

I'm building the fuselage in two halves split vertically, like a giant easter egg. At this scale there is always a bit of shape variance from the plan. Therefore, I build one half as accurately as I can, and then draw around it to use as a template for the second half. This will hopefully minimise differences when they are mated together.

5.jpg

6.jpg

14/08/2015 11:45:58

Fuselage is conveniently round, which makes knocking out the formers something my mum could do after her evenings sherry ration. Made by laminating two sheets of 1/8 balsa together with their grain at 90 degrees to each other.

I've got a band saw How anyone survives without one is beyond me ! One should be issued to every child on their 5th birthday.

3.jpg

4.jpg

14/08/2015 11:32:13

This is how Austerity PSS starts.

A plan ponced off a mate, an Airfix kit from Ebay, a kids geometry set and a roll of cheap wallpaper.

2.jpg

14/08/2015 11:29:35

I had to spend the monthly dog food budget on Glue.

1_2.jpg

14/08/2015 11:27:40

Welcome to my first attempt at a build log.

If you're looking for beautiful model that looks like its been carved by Michelangelo, and painted by Salvador Dali, then take a look at Matt Jones Sea Vixen.

If you want to watch an English Electric Cranberry evolve on the cheap from a pile of old balsa wood and a gallon of PVA, then look 'ere

The subject is a Cranberry B2 built from the most excellent plan from Andy Blackburn. Only doubled in size (obviously) to make it 86 inches span. This will involve quite a bit of jiggling about, and rethinking how to do things along the way.

One more thing - I bought a new house recently and the modelling budget is up there with the Greek deficit. Consequently, this project is Austerity PSS !

On with the first photo .... The classic 'before' shot .....

1.jpg

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 14/08/2015 11:28:05

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us