By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel Day

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel Day has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Junior 60 elevator
11/11/2013 19:53:43

Thanks Ian, that might be easier but I'd need to see how the piano linkage lines up with the hinges to make sure it flexes freely. I'll have another look at my plan (the 1946 version I think). The 1955 version doesn't show this, from what I can see.

You're right Pat, (another) senior moment. I DID say Super 60 in that post but I meant to say Junior 60. Internal linkage? I can't quite see from your photos how that works. I did think of various ways I could have done something similar without the centre section in the way but that's irrelevant know. As for leaving a gap - surprise

Edited By Nigel Day on 11/11/2013 19:54:38

11/11/2013 18:26:29

I don't think so Pat.

According to the plans I have the trailing edge has a fixed section of about 2 inches that sits under the fin.

There's nothing in the instructions about it though.

Thread: Some specific build questions
11/11/2013 17:37:37

Thanks David.

Yes, I'd thought that the tailfin should be strengthened like that so I've covered the fin and will cover the tailplane with the fin in place, overlapping the solarfilm at the base of the fin. I'm going to do the same with the skid at the bottom.

Nigel

Thread: Junior 60 elevator
11/11/2013 17:35:08

I'm getting towards the end of a Junior 60 build and am wondering how best to link up the split elevator.

I've got three of the older, established 'reference' books with different ideas.

I'm inclined to go with a split connection from a pushrod coming out either side of the rear fuselage to a control horn on each part of the elevator. Course, I'm a control horn and wire rod short in the kit though but that can be fixed with a quick visit to my local model shop.

Is there any benefit to linking them directly via a simple wire? The trailing edge section under the fin has already been added to I'd prefer not to have to remove it to drill a hole through or similar.

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

Thread: Upgrading my Transmitter
11/11/2013 09:02:41

Thanks Paul.

I'll go for it and take the risk that my local club(s) is/are anti-35MHz. I'll PM you shortly.

Thanks John, KC for the useful advice. I've seen Phoenix v4 on EBay at £50 with Futaba sq adapter included so it looks as though I should be OK in the short-term.

I'l tackle the 2.4GHz fence when I come to it......

Nigel

10/11/2013 16:40:45

Hi Paul and thanks.

Does it have a suitable connector to allow it to be linked to the Phoenix Flight Simulator do you know - with or without an adaptor?

Oh, and is it a UK model? I don't see much about it when searching online.

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Day on 10/11/2013 16:43:29

Thread: Kit still available?
09/11/2013 17:44:44

From what I've seen already, 53 is still a baby in this hobby. 

Fortunately...... 

Edited By Nigel Day 1 on 09/11/2013 17:45:16

Thread: Junior 60 - part of plan wanted
09/11/2013 17:14:50

Thanks Ken.

Sorry David, I'm new to building so I'm not fully with you?

My current thinking is to drill holes through the bay, just ahead of the ply bulkhead, top and bottom, and put dowel rods or hardwood formers through. Then, when I drill up from the bottom I'll have firm holes for the wire undercarriage to go. I'll need to split the wire at the ends of the horizontal bar of course but with a bit of epoxy 'down the holes' and binding from the rear u/c piece, it should stay in place nicely.

My theory, ahem.......

Nigel

Thread: Some specific build questions
09/11/2013 17:07:07

Hi David.

I'm in the process of the same build. Just getting to the covering stage and moulding the nose cone too. I have the same question about covering the fine before or after attaching it to the tailplane.

The split elevator has me thinking too. I've got three of the older, established 'reference' titles' with different ideas. I'm inclined to go with a split connection from a pushrod coming our either side of the rear fuselage to a control horn on each part of the elevator. Course, I'm a control horn and wire rod short in the kit though but that can be fixed with a quick visit to my local model shop.

Nigel

09/11/2013 16:57:18

Sorry, still a raw newbie and not used to the right lingo yet.

I meant the pre-cut wood pack. Sounds from Colin that this IS available so, with plans, articles and the pre-cut wood I should be in business.

Yes, it was the wealth of info, feedback and so on about the build that made me interested. Figured that if I couldn't do my second build right with all that info flying around (sorry!), I'd never be able to build.

Nigel

09/11/2013 16:53:24

Many thanks to you all for the info and suggestions. I just need to give my brain cell a kick to get it sorting out the different options now....

Nigel

09/11/2013 14:20:40

This looks like a great project for my first low-wing build. Since I'm not ready yet to start building purely from plans I thought I'd try a kit model.

When I read the articles and posts around this I see contradictory information about availability of the kit. On what I think is Nigel's website it looks as though it IS still available.

Does anyone know either way whether the kit is or isn't available to buy? If it IS available, for how long?

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

09/11/2013 14:14:51

I bought my starter kit nearly 5 years ago and have only got around to working on it seriously in the last 6 months.

The kit is a ben Buckle Junior 60 and should be ideal for a newbie. At the same time I was sold a Futaba Skysport pack with a 3-channel SS3 Tx and a R114F Rx with 2 x S3003 servos.

This all looks tickety-boo with the Junior 60.

I also though it would be good to try a flight simulator......

As I found out, the SS3 has no connectivity so using it with a flight sim is a no-no.

So, thinking ahead, I thought I'd invest in a 6+ channel Tx that can drive the R114F etc instead of the SS3 but would have PC connectivity for the flight sim. What would be even better would be for it to be upgradeable if I found that 2.4GHz was the way for me to go.

Question 1: What sort of 6+ channel Tx should I look for? Budget is tight at the moment and Ebay/2nd hand is OK.

Question 2: Are there any Tx that will drive the R114 AND be upgradeable to 2.4GHz - without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

Thread: Junior 60 - part of plan wanted
09/11/2013 14:05:09

I'm making steady progress and am just about to start covering the tailplane & fin. It took me a while to work out how to fix the various 'innards' that are required and to make the engine mount. All sorted now and running in of the engine on a test bed will start shortly.

I managed to forget to fix the undercarriage wires before building on the nose section (doh!) so I'm currently working out a way to fit them securely.

If I get around to it I'll post a few photos for your amusement.

Nigel

09/11/2013 14:02:05

Hi Chris.

Many apologies for not responding earlier. I'd stopped tracking this thread.

If you still have a pdf of the 1946 plan(s), that would be very helpful if (sorry, WHEN) I need to rebuild a badly damaged wing. If it's the 1955 version, I've got the 1955 plan now.

Thanks,

Nigel

31/08/2013 08:29:47

Many thanks Mike.

I have to say that the layout of the 1946 version plans is better - and more spread out - but that there's additional useful info on the 1955 version.

This will help greatly, thanks.

Nigel

30/08/2013 17:26:09

Thanks Mike, PatMc.

It''s the 1946 version of the plans I've got, as you've rightly surmised Mike.

There's no hurry, when you're next in the loft is fine.

I'm carrying on with the fuselage now and will come back to the wings when I'm nearly finished. Saves having to store 5ft's worth of wing somewhere!

Nigel

30/08/2013 11:18:10

Hi.

Newest of the newbies here.

I bought a Ben Buckle Junior 60 kit about 4-5 years ago. I started building it and got as far as completing the structure of both wing halves. I then stopped for a while (still not sure why) and have only just gone back to it to resume.

The problem is, I had the wing plans pinned to a board in my office. It was facing the window......

Yes, you've guessed right, the plan has faded - and I can't see the bit covering the centre portion of the wings - where the two wing parts join.

Does anyone have a copy of the wing plan that they no longer need or could photocopy/scan the bit covering the centre wing joint?

Thanks in advance,

Nigel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us