By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Garsden

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Garsden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flamingo 3.5metre by Chris Williams - scratch build
23/09/2020 08:16:14

Flamingo 3.5m Glider

This is what the glider should look like when it is finished. I hope mine looks as fine. This is the red and white version. Chris Williams flies a white yellow and blue version.

22/09/2020 14:25:47

I forgot to mention the massive canopy. It is huge and is really for the larger 5 metres wing span version. I thought I had the wrong one but if you read carefully it tells you that you just cut down the large one and use that from the front and top - note to self - read carefully.

Huge sheets of ply and also the large plan laid out ready for cutting up.

20200922_133316.jpg

20200922_133339.jpg

22/09/2020 14:22:50

20200922_133305.jpgI have decided to build a scale glider as I already build PSS models. This one, however, will involve some building challenges I have not encountered before such as steaming thin ply round fuselage formers, gull wings, and, hopefully, a crack at some aerotowing.

This glider caught my eye as a free plan in RCM&E because it said it could fly in most weathers. I thought I would be able to slope it as well as trying towing it up from the flat field.

My wife ordered the short kit from Sarik for my birthday. It arrived with voluminous quantities of beautifully laser cut balsa and ply as well as some strip wood, and a wood pack of 1.5mm and 6mm sheet. Lots to have a go at.

The plan came on 4 sheets. I worked out that I would have to tape together the fuselage side view from 4 separate sheets. I didn't fancy that so contacted Chris Williams and asked if he had a one sheet plan. He most helpfully and generously let me have not only the one sheet version with both halves of the wing, but also a set of build photographs which I am sure I will find most helpful.

I sent the pdf files off to Derick at Model Plan Printing - **LINK**l . He printed off just what i needed immediately and sent it next post - great service Derick. Thank you.

I already have the article from the back copy of the magazine which has been studies copiously, so I am about ready to start.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 22/09/2020 14:23:16

Thread: james hammond aeroic firebird 1.5m
09/09/2020 19:54:36

A friend of mine has one of these and I have seen it fly. It goes like a rocket and is very strong. Cracking model. James is now using the same builders as produce the D60 and D80 etc so the quality of build is exceptional. You get what you pay for I would say. Definitely better quality than the previous supplier who is no longer..

09/09/2020 19:54:34

A friend of mine has one of these and I have seen it fly. It goes like a rocket and is very strong. Cracking model. James is now using the same builders as produce the D60 and D80 etc so the quality of build is exceptional. You get what you pay for I would say. Definitely better quality than the previous supplier who is no longer..

Thread: Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread
03/08/2020 20:19:16

You can also use that to hold the fuselage if you are going to make a lost foam version like I do occasionally.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 03/08/2020 20:19:51

Thread: Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan
21/07/2020 19:04:14

The new C of G is the result of Stevie Kemp's successful flight in about 22 to 25mph wind at the Orme. He has checked it after going home and that is the measurement - yes 78mm. He initially balanced it on the correct C of G then added 40 grams for the flight which put it at 78mm from the leading edge. And yes that gave him a perfect flight. I don't know if he did a dive test to be honest. I arrived at the same result when I flew in January ie I added 2 penny weights to bring the C of G forwards from the plan level. Jez flew his with the C of G on plan and it was too far back. So that is as much science as there is.

21/07/2020 19:03:40
Posted by Jez Billington on 20/07/2020 16:58:16:

5b46a123-0df9-4337-ae58-d2b412458e72.jpeg

Jez, the string needs wrapping round the dowels about 5 times this won't be accurate I agree - see this pdf file which explains more - **LINK**

18/07/2020 11:32:02
Posted by Andy Blackburn on 17/07/2020 20:29:29:

Well, this is - frankly - shocking. One just can't get the staff.

My apologies to Jez for the unnecessary excitement. I'll make the appropriate changes to the CAD files and re-issue the plan to Phil. It'll take me a week or so because I have my hands full at the moment...

A.

P.S.

Pete - you built the first JP, did yours need the c.g. moving forwards as well?...

With hindsight I did add a couple of penny lead weights to the nose after my first maiden flight in a 60mph wind at the Orme when I was holding in LOTS of down elevator. This then tamed it in the same way as Steve. Unlike Jez I maidened in a lot of lift which saved me but challenged me in equal measure (what do you expect on 2nd January!)

I missed a rudder so added it after that flight. Inevitably this added some weight to the tail. I added more weight which brought it back to the plan c of g. I am now going to add more weight to get it to the new c of g before the next flight, which may be at the Lleyn.

So the short answer Andy is yes but I was not as accurate or scientific as Stevie has been. It was only when he What's App'd me that I have committed more detail to this thread which most people seem to be following.

17/07/2020 13:53:58

This post derives from a PSSA event at the Orme last weekend - 11th and 12th July 2020. Whilst I misguidedly did not take my JP because I didn't think we would have the wind to fly it (stupidly as it turned out), post lock down, there were 2 JP's being maidened from Jez Billington and Stevie Kemp.

Jez launched his from the North West slope near the "Rest and Be Thankful!" Cafe in winds varying from 10 to 17mph, but reasonable lift. He had balanced his according to the C of G on the plan. He had a very nerve wracking flight owing to the model being too tail heavy. Due to Jez's outstanding pilot skills he managed to rescue it from disaster and land safely. Panic can easily set in when this happens over the sea leading to a watery grave and a fortuitous gift to a sloper in Ireland.

To be fair, the lift was not brilliant but should have been enough for the JP. Needless to say Jez didn't fly again.

The following day (Sunday), there was no wind until about 1.30pm when suddenly, out of nowhere a 22 to 25 mph appeared for the South West and we had some amazing flying. Most models flew other than those that need a gail.

We all bullied Stevie Kemp to maiden his silver and fluorescent orange version. It was superbly finished as are all Steve's models. He was apprehensive, I think because of what I had said about my maiden, weight, and Jez's tail heavy experience. I think he thought that it needed more wind. He was persuaded to give it a heave ho. First of all he added 40 grams to the nose which pushed the C of G forward from 85mm from the leading edge of the wing to 78mm.

whatsapp image 2020-07-15 at 18.59.46.jpeg

Andy Meade launched it and it sailed away perfectly. Steve was delighted and relieved that it flew in equal measure.

So the lesson is that the C of G for any other builders should be set at 78mm rather than 85mm.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 17/07/2020 13:55:50

Thread: Pete's Cavallino Rampante Italian Aerobatic Team Sabre
09/07/2020 13:35:08

Maiden Flight - Sunday 5th July 2020, Mermaid Pool, Leek, Staffordshire, England.

whatsapp image 2020-07-08 at 12.10.26.jpeg

It was a blustery day up at 1,500 feet above Rudyard Lake near the Roches in Staffordshire England. The wind was blowing at between 25mph and 35mph. The D60's and D80's were going a storm, so I figured there was enough wind to try out the Sabre. This is where they hold the Scale Day each year in August. There is a good landing area to use.

PSS models generally do not fly well here. Whilst it is a good slope for sports models, PSS models do tend to just hang there and not really perform well. The Orme is a much better test, and there is a fly in this weekend, so we will have to see.

whatsapp image 2020-07-08 at 12.10.26 (2).jpeg

This model has an all moving tailplane so it is difficult to judge angles. I got Martin to launch. As you can see from the video I needed more down. I adjusted the sub-trim and launched again. This time it soared away. It still needed a bit more up elevator. I have adjusted it at the clevis now ready for next time.

It is difficult to judge but it seemed difficult to gain height even in that wind. The all up weight is 4.5lbs which is about 8oz more than most examples (about 23oz per square foot). I put this down to heavy Glosstex covering, which I reckon added 1lb. Whilst it flew well, the fuselage seemed to wobble from side to side a bit. It was not overly sensitive on elevator as would suggest a c of g too far back. It was however very sensitive on ailerons as most swept wing models are.

I landed and decoupled the flaps from the ailerons. I had them mixed in. This seemed to give a much better and less twitchy aileron response.

I used a closed loop rudder with long tubes from the fuselage. I have tightened up the cables in case that is what the problem was. In other words the wind catching the rudder and throwing the model around in the very strong wind. The rudder is now a lot tighter.

It didn't feel quite right, however, though it did fly. I only have the launch on video unfortunately.

I went back home and tried out the c of g on my new Vanessa Launch winch. I reckon it was about 5mm too far back, so I have added some more weight to the nose but have not tried it again. Watch out for the next post when it is sorted.

Oh and a big thank you to Brian for the pictures and video.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 09/07/2020 13:35:49

Edited By Peter Garsden on 09/07/2020 13:36:24

Thread: Sabre made in Belgium
04/07/2020 10:31:47

The only good thing I can say about my identical version of this Sabre is that I built it quicker. In every other respect, Dirk's is outstanding, detailed, and perfect in every way. You will be able to spot me hiding in the Gorse bushes in an every so 'umble pose trying to avoid my fingers getting pricked by the thorns, but holding my model aloft, far enough away to allow a direct comparison.

What weight do you have Dirk. Mine is 4.5lbs - a bit heavy but hopefully will have real momentum in a good blow. I am hoping to bring it along next week if we have any decent wind (here's hoping).

I will be able to put it in the pits without fear of a Belgian comparison, hopefully due to lock down?

Hope to see all you lovely chaps in a week's time.

03/07/2020 08:30:30

I use laminating resin which is the right consistency, or Finishing resin which is quite thin, and is made by Z Poxy - https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/276692/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM8dZUXmYBbuc7q2IK04IDLIz6CILnWvT-0q855-2VrYLCMB-DFYvkRoC4rgQAvD_BwE. The reason you should never dilute resin with metho or acetone is that it increases massively the setting time and usually means it never sets! I did it once - never again - that may have been epoxy glue however.

Best way to prevent the resin being too thick is to spread it with an old credit card as thin as you dare then dab the surface with Kitchen Towel. I use a Proxxon Shoe Sander to flatten out any lumps afterwards.

Alternatively you can use Water Based Varnish but you need about 6 coats to fill the weave - I use Ezecote - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/193477084239?chn=ps. That is what I have used before and it is very easy to apply with a brush.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 03/07/2020 08:36:41

23/06/2020 14:43:11

Whilst I love eulogising and complimenting excellent building work to a standard far beyond my capabilities, I can't help worrying that those gun tubes could be a home for small worms which could get inside the fuselage and eat it. Never happened to me but a mouse did once eat my surf board at the caravan....mmm....mmm....

19/06/2020 10:45:39

If you wish, Dirk, I can make the same set of decals I used for mine but with different numbers if you tell me what I want. They would be white stars in small and large. Mine, actually were slightly too big so I could reduce them.

12/06/2020 12:53:16

I have shown an instrument panel that I used on my blog here if you want to use it.

cockpitfront.jpg

03/06/2020 10:18:57

This may not help at all Dirk but I used Solartrim for this bit - you are painting the fuselage granted but you could do the scallops with trim. I made cardboard templates then drew the shapes onto the back of the solartrim then cut it out with a scalpel. You can read all that on my blog. Just another way of doing it.. If however you are going to paint mask then yes, Alan's method looks good.

26/05/2020 10:40:32

Great work as usual Phil.

I know exactly what you mean about blending the wing into the fuselage front and back which is made so much more complicated by the circular shape of the fuselage. Being a sloven and a heathen without your immaculate patience, I decided that the job of carving 3D shapes out of balsa with the attendant problem of thin balsa flaking, I decided to use milliput putty, which was so much easier. It may however be a bit heavier. That was the downside, also not really sandable, so you have to smooth it out with wet fingers before it sets, but you have 3 hours.

It is all on my blog - **LINK** if any of you keenies are as lacking in patience and want to finish 2nd?

Thread: 2020 PSSA Mass Build - Sabre - The Completed Model Thread!
22/05/2020 17:34:43

1586020585097493193861.jpg

• This is the Italian Aerobatic Team Cavallino Rampante version in the colours of the team. Apparently the fuselage was painted in a Lancia Car Body Colour! According to the website "Cavallino Rampante (Prancing Horse) aerobatic team has been established in 1956 from 4th Aerobrigata of Italian Air Force, as a successor of Cavallini Rampanti but this time flew five Canadair Sabre Mk4 (F-86 Sabre)."
  • AUW 4lb 7.5oz including 4oz of lead in the nose which works out to be 23.6 ounce per sq foot wing loading
  • In deviation from the plan I made a lost foam fibreglass fuselage, which was quite light up and until the application of covering. I used however exclusively film. The Antique Cream I think weighed heavily. It was the only covering I could get in the right shade of Antique Cream. It was Glosstex. The Red and Blue were Solarfilm. Glosstex is Solartex with a gloss covering to save you having to paint it.
  • The model has 4 channels, Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons, Flaps. Crow Brakes are also programmed in, with about 70 degress of drop in the flaps which are bottom hinged, whereas the ailerons are top hinged using Blenderm tape. I tried to use silicone but could not get it to adhere
  • Hoping to maiden it soon, just waiting for the right day.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 22/05/2020 17:38:39

Edited By Peter Garsden on 22/05/2020 17:39:23

18/05/2020 15:31:20

That's the difference between you and me you see Phil. Tanks look perfect to me says the man who just about knows the difference between Spitfires and Hurricanes. As Ivan keeps telling me "you won't know the difference when it is flying past at top speed." Wings look a lovely tight fit. You won't need filler fairing pieces like I did. Mind you I am on with my Jart and finished a month ago.

Was flying yesterday at the Mermaid but social distancing makes launching other people's models difficult.

What say we all to this? Is it allowed if one wears gloves?

Edited By Peter Garsden on 18/05/2020 15:32:13

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!