By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan H

Here is a list of all the postings Alan H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Binding wire for solder joints
31/10/2018 11:48:12

Fuse wire as used in the old type fuse boxes is an old favourite. Still available from lots of ebay sellers.

Thread: Buzzing Around
27/10/2018 12:45:17

Put a smile on my face!

Thread: Rick Wakeman - Piano Portraits
17/10/2018 20:16:03

Many years ago I helped run a folk club in Twickenham. One evening Rick Wakeman turned up as an ordinary punter,he was very unassuming and made no attempt to draw attention to himself. That impressed me, seemed like a nice bloke.

Thread: How old are yours?
17/10/2018 14:05:06
My oldest electric model is a Voltaire from a 1979 Radio Modeller. It's awaiting an upgrade from brushed motor and NiCads to brushless and LiPo
Thread: Plan protection
25/09/2018 11:50:44

The thin plastic bags that jackets/suits etc come back from the dry cleaners in

Thread: Outrunner Magnets Decomposing to Dust
21/09/2018 17:15:36

I had exactly the same thing happen to a Waypoint 2 series motor a few years ago. I ran a few tests on it then put it away pending a suitable project. It was stored indoors in a warm dry location but when I got it out some time later it was stiff and the magnets looked just like your motor. In my case I just binned it. I also have a 3 series Waypoint motor from the same era and that is still fine.

Thread: Tacometer ??
16/09/2018 10:42:53

Kings Lynn Models list one:-

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/Accessories_Field%20Accessories/c21_142/p8986/JP_MicroTacho_Tachometer_(Pocket_Size)/product_info.html

Thread: Clubs near Hyawards Heath, Sussex
04/09/2018 11:29:32

You are no more than 30 mins drive from the Surrey Radio Control Club near Faygate. Nice flying site at a very pleasant location.

http://surreyrcc.bmfa.org/

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
01/09/2018 17:17:21

Thanks for the link

Thread: Lipo charging
01/09/2018 17:13:52

I agree with Keith, a fully charged cell is around 4.2V so a three cell pack will be around 12,6V immediately after charging but this will quickly drop back to the sort of level you are seeing. I would check what the individual cells read on your tester to make sure they are reasonably well balanced.

Thread: Phoenix and Win10
28/07/2018 10:27:31

This link might help:-

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=725757

Thread: RIOT - why 2.4 GHz only
23/07/2018 17:56:33

I've got a Riot on 2.4GHz but I can't see any reason why 35MHz would be a problem, especially bearing in mind it uses a brushless motor. Obviously do an aerial down range check with the motor running.

Thread: What glue to repair 2010 Foam Spitfire
07/07/2018 11:39:38

I have been using UHU Por on my indoor models for several years and am now beginning to see a problem. Over a period of years it starts to turn brown and become brittle.

Thread: Futaba R2006GS failure
03/07/2018 11:45:04

Might be worth contacting Ripmax

Thread: Riot XL problem
02/07/2018 10:35:47

My standard size Riot had similar characteristics, fixed by adding some downthrust.

Thread: Imax B6
01/07/2018 11:47:46

I'm with Gary's analysis 100%. The higher the capacity of a LiPo the longer it will take the charger to get a pack back in balance and periodic re-balancing on a stand alone balancer is good practice. One other thought, with the Imax B6 type chargers the default mode when selecting LiPo is not balance mode. If I remember correctly you have to press the + key once to get to the balance charge mode so it is just possible the original poster was not actually in balance mode.

30/06/2018 12:21:44

The Imax B6 and most other balance chargers work by applying a resistive load across any cells which are higher than the lowest one. The effect of this is to reduce the charging current in the high cells by around 200mA. Depending on the degree of out of balance the pack may or may not end up fully balanced by the end of charge. For badly out of balance packs connecting them to a stand alone balancer is good practice. To say balance chargers do not balance the pack is simply incorrect.

29/06/2018 11:17:13

I have seen this on several occasions, it only seems to happen on older packs and I am fairly sure it is the charger having difficulty in accurately balancing the pack. When this happens I manually stop the charger then check the cell voltages, provided the balance is reasonable I use them as normal and without any problems.

Thread: Help me!
29/06/2018 11:05:43

Take a look at PicaSim, although biased towards gliders there are quite a few power models and the flight dynamics are very good in my opinion. Available on PC and mobile platforms the best bit is that it is free with optional donation (which I did).

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/PicaSim/

Thread: Wot-4 E Mk2 (balsa) nylon wing bolts
29/05/2018 11:58:46

I'm still using the original bolts that came with the kit, I wanted some spares just in case of loss or breakage.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!