By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan H

Here is a list of all the postings Alan H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Antivirus Software
15/01/2018 12:50:29

There's no real time protection with Malwarebytes free version, it is just a scanner (albeit a good one). It just runs whenever you initiate it. With the current version you have to manually get it to download the latest database. Like others in this thread I use Windows Defender and do a monthly scan with Malwarebytes

Thread: Do your landings need improving? Like mine do...
07/01/2018 12:29:10

Made me smile but I think the inclusion of the Airbus crash into woods at the end was unfortunate as a woman and two children died in the incident.

Thread: Passenger lands a plane...
21/12/2017 12:12:19

I remember this back at the time. I didn't know a documentary had be made about the incident, thanks for the heads up, will watch later

Thread: Advice
19/12/2017 12:12:48

One I got from a light aircraft pilot years ago, "flying bites fools", applies to models just as well.

Thread: Another newbie
17/12/2017 12:09:35

I've got several Sebart models, they are very good quality and use lightweight construction (and therefore somewhat fragile). I would suggest having modest control throws and checking that the CG is either at or just in front of the recommended position. I think you will find the Angel easy to fly and as Josip says don't try any aerobatics, at least until you've got a few flights under your belt with it. The biggest risk of damage is with landing accidents so don't hesitate to go around again if your a bit high, fast or not lined up.

Thread: Hobby King Warranty
13/12/2017 19:07:10

I've used several of these in fixed wing aerobatic models. I rate them very highly but would advise anyone about to buy one for the first time to also buy the programming card due to the number of parameters there are to set. I have noticed a couple of things with these ESC's. Setting timing to auto always gives good results whereas manually setting sometimes seems to produce strange behaviour. The other thing I have found is that after throttle calibration you can always get a few more RPM if you increase the throttle channel endpoint, maybe 100 to 200rpm. I now tweak the throttle endpoint until no further increase can be observed after normal calibration.

Thread: Power Calculator announced in Dec 17 magazine
30/11/2017 12:36:27

I just downloaded it and put in the figures for several of my models (aerobatic and vintage) and found the results surprisingly close.

Thread: The way we were....
19/11/2017 00:28:47

Pete, thanks for all the information regarding the digitizing of the old 8mm film. For the small amount I have I will try pointing a camcorder at the projected image but with frame rate differences and an angle between the projectors view and that of the camcorder I don't expect much. The projector has been up in the loft for years so goodness knows whether it will even work.

Alan

16/11/2017 11:48:29

Pete, I've got some standard 8mm video from the late 1960's somewhere up in the loft that might be fun to see again. How did you go about digitising your old film?

Alan

Thread: Flite (sic) Test paper and card model - hints?
15/11/2017 00:22:24

A friend of mine has a lot of experience of FliteTest models having made two, the Kraken and the flying boat. He made both exactly as recommended and they have had many flights and a few mishaps and are still going strong. My recommendation is to make them exactly as per the videos.

Thread: named brand motors vs budget motors
08/10/2017 17:28:27

Thanks for the suggestions guys, first thing is to extract the bearings. This might be a bit tricky because they are pressed in tightly with Scorpion motors.

Alan

07/10/2017 21:37:27

I did wonder about Model Fixings but they seem to be aimed at replacements for IC engines. I'll measure up the bearings required and email them.

Thanks, Alan

07/10/2017 17:28:31

I've got a Scorpion motor (SII 3014-1040) and the bearings are starting to feel a bit rough. Where do you guys go to get your bearings?

Thread: Goodbye Winkle. R.I.P.
22/02/2016 11:08:59

I had the privilege of attending his lectures on two occasions and meeting and talking with the great man afterwards. I'm so glad I took the opportunity to attend the talks when the opportunity was there.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!