By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john picton

Here is a list of all the postings john picton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aero depron
05/02/2014 16:37:54

Thanks Paul, Fantastic models and superb flyers to, I am very keen to build such a model but require a lot more info to do so.

I contacted Erics Club and asked if he would contact me regarding info on the models but have not had a response so far, perhaps he is to busy building more superb models eh regards JP

22/01/2014 19:31:12

Blooming amazing en it , I have had a reply from LDMFC and both gents are members, waiting hopefully that they will contact me JP

22/01/2014 17:16:04

Colin, you are quite right, it was built and flown by Graham Green at RAF Shawbury on 27th Oct 2013, his fellow club member Eric Strefford flew the Lancaster.

Thanks Paul, I have contacted both Liverpool and District flying club and South Liverpool club to try and contact these two gentlemen.

like you I am a keen indoor flyer, ( just returned to the hobby after a break of 15 years ) and indoor venues are few and far between, however we fly once a month at Oxford and also Peterborough quite a bit of traveling but worth it.

21/01/2014 22:28:19

Thanks Stephen, let me know any more info JP

21/01/2014 18:47:28

Hi Stephen YES IT IS WOW, any more info?

21/01/2014 14:41:16

Hi All, can anyone give me info on a group of indoor flyers I think at St Helens who have built and flown Electric powered Lancaster bombers made from Aero Depron.

I would like to contact these guys with the view to obtaining info on how to build such a model, thanks JP

Thread: Sopwith triplane
10/01/2014 08:49:10

Thanks Willowlea, I will use this once I have some idea of the weight etc

09/01/2014 13:29:22

Can anyone help, I have a GWS Twin Motor Drive RXC 7.2v motor with 8.6: 1 gearbox and need to know what size prop I should use to power a 23inch span Sopwith Triplane ( Aero Graphics Kit  free flight converting to RC, Thanks all

Thread: 42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )
16/12/2013 22:27:25

Hi Roy, sorry for the delay in responding to you been a bit busy.

You can send me a PM any time, glad to talk about modelling, as regards the foam cutting I will be producing some cutting tools soon and will post these.

Like a lot of readers I have been following your progress with interest and do intend building a model from depron in the new year, it will be a 43inch Lancaster based on a model for free flight designed by Brian Waterland, my model will be RC and like the original powered by four KP01 motors, will post as build progresses..............JP

Thread: first build in balsa, some help neaded.
12/12/2013 08:17:52

At 18inch span it would be ideal for indoor flight, rubber motor or electric powered, find a local indoor event and go along to see how its done, it great fun and out of the cold winds......JP

Thread: 42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )
30/11/2013 19:47:21

Hi Roy, if you build a foam cutter ensure that you get the cutting wire VERTICAL both ways, I did this by using cable eye hole connectors to attach the Nichrome, the top connection ( vertical ) adjust the left to right while the lower connection ( fitted horizontal ) adjusts the back to front of the wire.

When cutting do not push side ways on the cutting wire as this will cause an inward curve from the formers and not a straight cut.

Watch the tension on the wire, I am going to try a bigger wire, about swg 20 to try and tackle this problem will post results later, Cheers JP

28/11/2013 09:15:33

foam cutter 2Hi All, I have also used a Weller soldering iron to shape foam with great success as Gilg says you can make a cutter to any shape you like, use the trigger to control the heat.

I have built an upright foam cutter ( see photos ) using 26swg Nicrome wire ( E Bay ) powered via a 9 to 18 volt 10amp transformer ( part of my Mini Lathe set ) controlled via a foot switch,

At 9volts it cuts through White Styrofoam like butter, Blue foam has a bit more resistance and needs a higher voltage of 12volts , NOTE watch the tension of the Nichrome!

I make wooden formers and stick these to the foam with double sided tape and push through the wire, if you are careful you can get very good results, I have also made a ' Bow ' cutter for shaping wings etc.

At the moment I am forming small cutters from 20swg Nichrome , will post results later. Cheers al JohnFoam cutter 1

Thread: moulding depron wing's
26/11/2013 20:37:12

Red Wing flying 2Red Wing flying 3own designOwn design

26/11/2013 17:13:44

Hi u all,

The Depron REDWING flew right of the building board like a dream, powered by a 10f Capacitor I had several flights of about 60 seconds brilliant, I now intend to build a proper model to fly.

After my last posting I built an own designed model with a 20 inch span and with the same set up it also flew like a dream, will post photos soon

08/11/2013 12:20:31

Hi Stephen, both are free flight, the Redwing weight is 34g, a bit heavy as I was not sure how strong the Depron would be so it has been strengthened with balsa, weight including Motor, Capacitor and switch ect .

The Pistacio all up weighs in at 7g, have tried flying in the front room with some success, think it will fly well in a large hall, will find out on the 24th.

Electrifiier, Thanks for the comment.

regards to all John

07/11/2013 18:07:34

The first two photos are first attempt with depron, an 18inch Frog Redwing electric powered.

The second photos are of a Pistacio model Watt Money plan of Oro-Hume a single seat plane.

Both models are yet to be tested in flight.

I have nearly mastered the art of 'moulding depron' thanks to all you guys

07/11/2013 18:01:24

Oro-HumeOro-hume wing sectionRed WingRed Wing

04/11/2013 18:44:04

thanks Paul, I found this most rewarding, I have had some success forming depron will post photos soon .regards John

Thread: rubber winder
01/11/2013 18:28:02

Hi Patmc

Thanks for the info, this sould solve the problem, regards John

01/11/2013 13:26:06

Hi All, can anyone tell me how to connect a calculator to a micro switch which operates when the winder handle is turned please John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us