By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john picton

Here is a list of all the postings john picton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )
31/10/2013 22:09:29

Hi I to will be watching this as I am also trying my hand at depron, best of luck John

Thread: moulding depron wing's
30/10/2013 06:22:52

Hi Depron Daz and Chuck plains

Thanks for your input, I have obviously not been taking it slowly enough when attempting forming, I will bear this in mind and take it easy, thanks a lot, will post results

29/10/2013 21:42:20

Blooming amazing, I have tried a hot iron, hot water, forming over the worktop edge and baking in the oven, I had got to the stage of going back to cutting blue foam and you come up with this, fantastic I will try this tomorrow.

Met a guy on Sunday who cold formed 6mm over the work top edge and then sandpapered to profile the finish was very good, it made me think that it is easier to cold form the thicker boards that the thin ones, your video proves this is not so, many thanks

26/10/2013 16:19:27

thanks guy's will bear these in mind.

Will post some photos of my first Depron Build next week, cheers John

25/10/2013 18:06:58

Thanks a lot chuck I'll try Worcester sauce or maybe marmite eh!!! smile p

I see that you are using Blue Foam, I have carved compete model's with this with great success and did not need to mould it, the Depron is a more difficult material to work with, however I will try the tape and form into hot water, thanks

25/10/2013 07:55:46

A hell cat but this look's the same technique, I have contacted Plantrco and asked to be put in touch with the guy.thanks

24/10/2013 21:40:13

I must be doing some thing wrong, when I tried cold rolling 1mm depron around the edge of curved kitchen work top it ' creased ' ! are you saying you used masking tape to 'face ' the depron before submerging in hot water.

I agree trying new techniques is great fun, I get most of me 'kicks' from building the model's

24/10/2013 21:01:40

The model I refer to was made by Alex Blackledge and is featured in Plantraco microflight web site it is 1/72nd scale

24/10/2013 19:50:15

hi Guy's, I am attempting to form a simple under camber wing shape in1mm Depron, this is for 10 to 18 inch wing span model's, . I have managed to from the wing using balsa ribs but with this size model getting the weight down is critical.

I have seen a small depron model formed using heat and I would think pressure , I will try to find this article and post the info.

24/10/2013 13:50:42

hello Electrisflier, I have heard of two methods of doing this, One , make a mould from timber say the profile of a wing bind the depron to this and either heat in water or oven, in both case's I do not know what the temperature should be.

Two, Using a model kit ( say 1.48th ) take castings of the various part's and make male/female mould's again heat but no clue as to the temperature required.

I have tried the hot water method, made the former from plastic sheet ( Twit ) the plastic melted and the masking tape fell of the depron.

24/10/2013 08:51:59

Hi all, I have just returned to modelling aeroplanes after a break of several years, I have been amazed by the advance's in this field especially with indoor flying and as I am old and grumpy I intend to take up this type on modelling.

My question is, can anyone tell me how to Mould 1mm depron sheet to form a wing and fuselage etc

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!