By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Carpenter

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Carpenter has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: AcroWot - Foam or EP
19/06/2018 19:52:15

Nigel . Welcome ! Only had the foam e and it was my go to model. Handled 10 mph ok ! U/ c weak . I sawed the screws halfway through but it never pulled out after that .My real gripe was the wooden motor mount compressing the foam and the thrust line wandering all over the place. This happened after 100 flights or so and eventually led to the models demise !!😨 Very agile ! Colin

Thread: Wind Speed
18/06/2018 14:54:39

Personally , I prefer the 0/0 rule ! Zero degrees ,zero wind , bright sunshine . But that's me ! 😁 Colin

Thread: Augusta 109 Mark 2 Helicopter
18/06/2018 13:08:56

Brian - i second Devcon's comments about plastic degradation . These heli's had a scary head speed back in the day, especially when the pipe came on tune . If the head let go !!! Not worth thinking about !😨😨😨

Take care ! Colin 

There are bits on E Bay but are of the same age !

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 18/06/2018 13:10:16

17/06/2018 14:57:08

😁Brian ! No problems ! Keep asking ! Colin

17/06/2018 11:59:44

Brian - the website is VRHC . Just found it. Good luck !😉 Colin

17/06/2018 11:47:35

Well Brian ! It is a Heim mechanics chopper .Mechanics are identical to a Heim Bell 222 I built in 1980 -90 ! Everyone wanted one in those days - it was the dogs what's its !😉

They cost a fortune and where quite intimidating to fly ! Mine was shot down by a police car at a Morley event in Bristol ! It did win the cup for best chopper there. Went home in a plastic bag ! It could be a Vario one who carried on the name. I have looked at your pics and it seems an over centre mechanism as was my Bell 222 but the bits are not the same as my retracts were , more like an aircraft nose gear .

Try the Vintage pages on the web .You may see some pice - there are a few Heim I recall .Hope I've helped - it's a very long time ago !😨😨

Colin

16/06/2018 20:42:49

Brian , it's not a Morley I'm afraid. Are there no clues to manufacturer anywhere ? A few more pics ,especialy the head may help . It's not a Heim either .These were popular in the 80's . Is there an engine in the the ? Markings on it ? Colin

16/06/2018 18:11:41

Brian .I unfortunately don't recognise the Heli but decades about built several Morley 109`s and the u\c on those looked similiar to your pictures. The mechanism was an over centre one where the servo operated the u\c and the final 10 degrees or so pushed the mechanism over centre to lock it .There is a vintage Heli forum \pages on the web which may have some useful info ! Might even see a pic or two ! Colin

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
16/06/2018 08:35:17

Congratulations to all involved .Something concrete at last !😁 Colin

05/06/2018 11:58:00

Sorry chaps but I’m with Private Frazer on this . “We’re all doomed !!!!!!!” Colin

Thread: Anyone got an Acro Wot Foam-E fuselage for sale?
24/05/2018 12:19:05

Geoff's correct , use UHO or Deluxe Materials Foam 2Foam. Not epoxy . Simple enough , but do a dry run to check CG . After i assembled my spare I needed lead at the back . The box had square weights you glue in the tail and I had missed these ! Take the chance to reinforce/ glue the wooden motor mount . A weak spot in my opinion ! Colin

Thread: Radio systems
19/05/2018 10:18:19

Glen . I have a DX9 that's now 5 years old . Apart from one DSM2 glitch it has been faultless . I started this hobby in 1969 and this radio has exceeded in use all my other radios added together . Possible as I'm now retired and it's in constant use ! Stay on DSMX and use it ! Early DX 8 ''s had an RF board problems but that's history now .

All brands will have a problem and I dislike JR as it cost me a Heim Heli decades ago . Colin

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
15/05/2018 15:03:22

5 out first thing. North wind kept it cool. E FLITE Convergence didn’t like the wind though ! My Hughes 500 was ok. A Bixler copped it in the wind unfortunately ! Colleagues HK Voltigeur is at last flying well after a change of esc. The original packed up on first two maidens. It’s been repaired well, it was a right mess ! Of course everything worked after each crash making the diagnosis difficult as it was brand new. Colin

Thread: DX8 range check problem.
06/05/2018 14:00:02

The orange bars on the tx front are an RF indicator. Are they on/off ? If it's a DX 8 mk 1 the RF boards are a known problem . DSM 2 is also a model crasher when the signal goes and takes ages to recover by which time your in the deck 😨😨.Substitution is the easy way of finding the problem ! Colin

Thread: New TV Channel
05/05/2018 13:28:53

Not certain but you may need an up to date TV to get 94 . I can get it on Freeview on my smart TV but clubmates can't on 6-8 yr old TVs. Colin

Thread: Safety plug
01/05/2018 17:00:30

Geoff . In the fast electric boats we would epoxy 2 female 4mm gold connectors into the hull deck and make a loop from 2 male connectors . A quick pull pull of the loop and system - dead !😁 .Never failed despite being hit in smashes which were frequent ! We were killing 12 cell nimh 3000 mah in 5 minutes full throttle ! Surely that would work ? Colin

30/04/2018 14:01:51

Geoff. We used 4mm gold connectors in electric racing boats as a safety plug with no problems ! Colin

Thread: Sunglasses for rc flying
29/04/2018 10:24:13

Cymaz . I bought an Orange pair from Lidl last year for a couple quick .I'm amazed how they bring out the colours in the model on dark days , which , to be honest is every day ! Still use polarised for very sunny mornings though . Had cataract surgery years ago and I find most light needs shades !😁

Does SWMBO's head in !😨 Colin

Thread: Dx8 and Lemon 7 channel receiver / stabiliser
25/04/2018 17:59:54

Yorkman . I have set one up this morning .Top two switches should be moved on ! Move right to left. No plugs in gear ! This is set as a switch in the Rx. You should be able to see the light change to green for stabilization on when you move the gear switch .Normally this is on top left , not on the tx face. If the gain is set to max and you plug in a servo then wobbling the Rx when switched on should see the servo going crazy ! Hope this helps ! Colin

Thread: Spring 2018 is here...been flying?
23/04/2018 12:01:40

Two of us out at 9 in dark deepest Somerset ! ! Can't believe the change in weather overnight ! Sweaty to cold damp ! We had three flights each and then the wind increased so packed up . Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues