By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Carpenter

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Carpenter has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Century Evolution 180
19/04/2019 16:45:06

There have been quite a few of these in use in my Friday Heli club over the years. Differing brand names. Cannot remember the bind process now . All flew the same in the village hall . Controllable in small tx movements . Not enough authority outside in any breeze . Responsive enough to learn on and then go CP ! Colin

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
16/04/2019 16:03:32

Thanks JD 8. Don't think it's tip stalling. Probably just a function of too steep an approach from flaps ! Only one landing with flaps / no flaps so far so early days ! Real problem is that crap colour !😥 I have a Freewing Mosquito which tip stalled in under a circuit when power pulled back so that's getting reflex plus stabilization ! Must stop being attracted to planes that fly on US model runways with large airspace .I fly on a postage stamp surrounded by hedges and trees !😣😣 Colin

11/04/2019 13:48:33

Maidened this Arrows Bearcat today. Bit of a handful despite adding 2oz lead upfront. Needs more! Had already taken the precaution of using small control movements but they needed further reduction. Still ! 3 flights and still in one piece. Flaps bring it down nearly vertical but it still stalls last 18 inches despite throttle management. Real problem is I can’t tell what it’s doing despite adding more orange on tail and wingtips! Invasion stripes next ! 😳Colin

11/04/2019 13:44:02

0bf53553-a471-45ab-9529-a71457079134.jpeg

Thread: WLTOYS V912 tail rotor problems
02/04/2019 21:01:57

I have flown one of these and was impressed for the £50 the owner paid . If everything passes a visual inspection and the tail rotor hasn't pushed down the motor shaft stopping it rotating , then pop in a spare parts motor. Seem to be about a £5 !! Colin

Thread: Lipos ?
28/03/2019 11:25:31

Got a few in use in my club. So far so good for normal flying . Colin

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
20/03/2019 14:43:35

Certainly not. Lots of Lemon / Orange in use and no problems ! All receivers suffer from breakage of the insulation where they exit the Rx box ! As we are predominantly Spekkie , that's what we see. A bit of hot glue helps a lot I find plus straws for the long co-ax leads in Lemons ! Frequent examination helps too . Colin

Thread: Spektrum Radio repairs ?
19/03/2019 20:37:29

I sent a Hitec Rx back to Perkins for the same problem . Beyond economic repair was the answer ! Colin

Thread: Acrowot Foam -E thrustline
15/03/2019 16:46:18

Agreed ! Watch when you replace the wood in the foam as it compresses over time and thrust line changes and it feels like radio failure ! Mine eventually went in about 290 flights in despite reglueing ! Colin

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
15/03/2019 14:17:27

Ah yes ! Morley Helicopters ! Maurice Tait and I formed Bath Heli Club on 84/5 and I last saw him a few years ago living in Sherborne , Dorset . I flew (badly ) for Morley at shows in the 80's ! The Hughes flew well when set up , no doubt the weight helped ! They seemed easy in comparison to today's 3D choppers 😂😂 Colin

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
24/02/2019 15:40:23

Well ! 24th February and summers arrived ! Fog early but by 11 am it's gone and it's shirtsleeve order and it feels very warm. A good turnout of 8 members and no crashes ! Long may it last ! At least till Wednesday 😁😁😁😉 Colin

Thread: Daily Mail on-line article on model flying in the 50s
08/02/2019 16:15:01

Thanks Phil for the memories ! I tend not to dwell on the past but enjoyed Clapham Long Pond times very much ! Bristol Docks followed in 1975 ! It's been a long and very expensive hobby ! No pockets in shrouds !!😀 Colin

08/02/2019 15:47:02

ED . Yes ! John the Postie ! I remember ! God ! I'm old 😥 By 1970 he was an infrequent boater ! Did you know George Greenfield ? He taught me everything he knew about fast I c boating , so much so , that in my first multi race event in Hove I came first in B class beating John Stidwell !😮😮😮😮 He was the man !!! It's like going in the TARDIS !😉, Colin

08/02/2019 13:45:26

Blimey ! E D ! That's the first time I've heard Les''s name in nearly 50 years ! Yep ! He's the man ! Never boated but always there on Saturday and Sunday ! I think I can recall the other gent too but not a name ! I used to take my boats from Denmark Hill on the train ! Nobody blinked an eye in those days !

Formed Clapham MBC before I left for Somerset in 74 ! Great days ! Put the Swordsman in the pond edge on Saturday! Go home and repair ! Back for Sunday ! Simples !!!😎 Colin

08/02/2019 12:22:16

Yes i remember Russ's in Battersea !!! Started boating on Clapham Common late 60's and we would get an old chap with an A40 to run us down there to get Graupner red props . It was a different world then ! A lot of the old chaps would turn up to run ic in sports jacket and tie ! I also remember families turning up at the pondside with picnic baskets and staying all Sunday afternoon watching us idiot's !!!😁 Ah !! Nostalgia !! Colin

Thread: Spektrum AR620 receiver problem
02/02/2019 16:44:37

If you have glider selected rather than plane on TX , does throttle work ? Seem to remember it's different cos glider guiders use stick for crow ! Colin

Thread: Confirmation of a picture
26/01/2019 20:08:12

RAF officers cap made in Stockport .Looks Ww2 ? Colin

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
21/01/2019 14:34:10

3 of us in Somerset out at 9-15 .Not cold as wind was zero. Could have been a bit brighter though . We flew a Riot , Visionaire , Slow Poke and Trex 500. Amazed at the patch ,as despite Saturdays all day rain , the field is still useable ! Normally it would have puddles all over by now . Colin

Thread: Acrowot replacement motor
19/01/2019 19:32:23

I replaced mine with an advertised direct replacement from E Bay. Can't remember what it cost now , but it was fine . Colin

Thread: Keeping Warm In Winter Weather
04/01/2019 17:46:35

Hiking boots , outdoor windproof coat. Cheap gloves with thumb finger top cut off . No layers apart from brushed cotton shirt and cord trousers . Don’t do layers Got trousers with fleece lining but find them too much ! Bright sun , no wind , temperature at zero best flying weather for me Normally 3-4 of us out too ! Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 04/01/2019 17:47:29

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 04/01/2019 17:48:27

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us