By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john stones 1

Here is a list of all the postings john stones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
22/03/2019 21:43:37
Posted by Phil Green on 22/03/2019 20:07:38:
Posted by Peter Christy on 22/03/2019 12:59:01:

Frankly, far bigger problems than "mix and match" are some of the appalling installations and abuse of equipment that I've witnessed over the years!

My own gripe is taping aerials, I've replaced so many that had been ripped out when someones rx moved a few mm. Use a couple of straws!

Clubs often have strange rules. Until recently, at Ponty, after landing a model, you were obliged to leave your tranny at the flight-line whilst fetching the model, which if electric was of course still 'live'. Trannies left on flight lines often fall over, onto the throttle stick! We managed to convince the committee that this was bad but they would only relent for 2.4g - 35's still have to be left behind! Crazy.

I wonder where the club in question stand on homebrew gear?

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 22/03/2019 20:08:40

Homebrew gear is fine, no flying when you've had a few, and take your bottles home. beerbeer

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
22/03/2019 16:56:01

Our S.O is there because of ambiguity, if we can't decide and get on and fly, instead of endlessly arguing the toss, bowing to the alpha male, or the just lazy, he will make a decision, he wears no hi viz, carries no little black book, reports to no one.

His only job is to prevent stupid rows developing, the legal obligations belong as they always have, with you the pilot.

21/03/2019 19:57:44

My lips are sealed.wink

21/03/2019 19:35:25
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 21/03/2019 18:51:11:

Most aftermarket receivers are used with Spektrum, and a fair few with Futaba, but not really much else. My simple solution should be a legally imposed ban on Spektrum and Futaba radio gear, there could even be an amnasty allowing owners to hand them in.

You probably think this is a daft idea but there would then be massive sales of radio gear helping your local model shop in these difficult times. Sounds like a winning solution to me.

I suppose we could do alsorts of things what about cars with none genuine brakes, vacuum cleaners with aftermarket belts the list is endless, let's do this and get the economy moving.

Alternatively rebel against the stupid committee kick them out of office and the club, you don't need this there's enough nonsense rules and regs coming from outside the hobby without it coming from inside as well, they are not wanted, or needed.

Bit lazy to blame committees every time, believe it or not, some clubs have members who speak up, not all things are imposed on people by over officious, badge wearing, little hitlers, there's some odd uns among the memberships tha noes.

Thread: NEW POLL - Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?
21/03/2019 17:45:48
Posted by Model Monster on 21/03/2019 17:42:53:

We could do with a Psychiatrist.

We have a few lads who're experts on that, and every other subject. wink

Thread: RCM&E Fly-In 2019 - general chatter
21/03/2019 16:13:09
Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 21/03/2019 15:59:23:

Not a strict noise limit I'm told John but you'd be best asking the BMFA in advance if you've any exceptionally noisy models.

yes

21/03/2019 14:33:05

We have some barky petrols, are they strict on 82db ?

21/03/2019 14:05:59

Never been, what sort of number will the N.C hold re camping ? does it have strict noise limit ?

21/03/2019 12:26:07
Posted by Charles Smitheman on 21/03/2019 12:10:24:

Do you think that it is safe to use different brands of golf clubs and balls?

It's all down to the wording in the BMFA rules/ guidelines. Bmfa need to sort this nonsense out.

BMFA ?

21/03/2019 11:52:36

Sadly we have a few of em.

Lads on committee got sick and tired of meetings, turning up at field and being dragged into childish arguments, mostly over which side of the field we're flying from due to the sun/wind (on far side it's a longer walk). If people can't agree among themselves and toys start getting chucked out the pram, the poor fella who's S.O will restore order and pick the toys up.

Odd as it is, they seem to manage by consensus now. wink

20/03/2019 20:50:37

I've used matching Tx/Rx on many occasions, they're very good, never had a failure.

20/03/2019 18:56:26

No bans at ours, it was proposed by some a year or two ago.

After looking into it, we found the ones crashing, had crashed even when using pukka ? RXs, crashed when we flew 35 mhz, crashed when farmer was cutting his crops (his mobile phone shot them down) crook crashed when there's an A E I O U in the month, crashed when wind gusted at just the wrong time, crashed when dog eat my homework, we felt there was a common denominator in there, but never quite identified it. face 1

Thread: Six Nations 2019
18/03/2019 14:46:32

Hard to fathom what happens to England, when they play, they look world beaters, it all falls apart very easy though, pretty much same as under Lancaster, so it ain't nothing new. Owen is a top player, gives his all every time, time he gave his head a shake though. What would England give for a Captain like AWJ ?

Few warm up games to enjoy before the World Cup. yes

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
17/03/2019 19:21:15

Yep, well done, good score.

Just as well it's free changes, I made a right mistake mistake choosing my cars, in 8th again. face 1

16/03/2019 19:34:44

Congratulations Wales.

Credit to Scotland for 38 unanswered points, England I'm lost for words.

15/03/2019 23:12:46

Yep good luck all, I watch it on 5 live. wink

15/03/2019 18:55:28

Big day tomorrow then. face 1

Bit sad that they don't play at the same time.

Wales v Ireland. I fancy the Welsh to win it, be cheering for the Irish though.

England v Scotland. Be pretty pointless if Wales have already won, final weeks games should be at the same time. Bonus point win for England. rose

C'mon the Irish/English.

11/03/2019 23:27:53

Spine behind/above driver is much different on Ferrari.

11/03/2019 22:50:50

Lot of difference in the cars aerodynamics on the cars Pete, Ferraris very different.

Thread: BMFA News Feb 2019
11/03/2019 19:03:21

Got issue 153 April 2019.

"The review has failed to find any conclusive evidence of an endemic national problem".

As a result, the ASRC will not be proposing anything beyond the issue of Certificates of Attendance for Examiners who attend an Area Workshop or ASRC Roadshow.

These Certificates will be just another form of evidence of activity within the scheme, to help clubs in their annual re-ratification of their Club Examiners, and nothing more.

"There will be no star rating system".

Pretty much what I was told last week.

Pleased to hear the review found little beyond the odd isolated case. Look forward to the next Workshop in our area, if you've not been to one, it's a good day and good atmosphere, give it a go.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us