By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john stones 1

Here is a list of all the postings john stones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chris Foss Xtra Wot
04/07/2020 19:34:47

That's a bit nice is that Ron, beautiful plumage. star

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
03/07/2020 21:34:20

Leaving my team as is, Sterling Moss, Jackie Charlton n Steve Redgrave. Good luck all.

Thread: Flying during pandemic.
03/07/2020 21:30:51

No covid rules at our club, other than bring your own chair, members have a post to read re hygiene, they've got on with flying, no issues to report.

01/07/2020 00:12:03

Avast me hearties, lockdown eased, don't forget all. It's not about the Winning, It's beating Igor. wink

Thread: 20kg
30/06/2020 09:25:54

Thanks lads I found what I needed in there. yes

30/06/2020 08:01:33

Models over 20kg are subject to inspection whilst being built then proving flights i believe ? What about an ARTF that weighs that ? Are there any large ARTF models that weight ?

And what rules apply to pilots owning/flying them, I know to join LMA and fly at events you will be assessed by someone, what if you just want to fly it at your club ?

Thread: Chris Foss Xtra Wot
28/06/2020 22:27:34

Oooh Jacinth, my favourite colour. rainbow

Thread: LMA Shows cancelled
26/06/2020 19:51:14
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 26/06/2020 19:14:13:

Too many bodies in the way Johnlaugh

yeshot

26/06/2020 19:09:11

Could we host an event on Bournemouth beach ?

We're in the "Twilight zone".

26/06/2020 13:31:11

No joy for me, still on Lert, n keeping me distant.

26/06/2020 10:32:44

No connect here, virus a Lert.

Thread: Matching an engine to an airframe.
25/06/2020 11:35:18

70 FS would be my choice, plenty Spacewalkers about or similar that would suit the SC 52.

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
25/06/2020 10:30:15

There have always been lads/lasses and clubs like Simon, there always will be, thankfully, pool your ideas and try new stuff, encourage others to speak up with their ideas, not all ideas work. But sat feeling sorry for ourselves, gets us nowhere.

25/06/2020 09:21:20
Posted by Simon Burch 1 on 25/06/2020 08:55:29:

I don't think that the hobby is dying, but it's certainly undergoing fundamental change - and not all of it is bad. I agree with previous comments that the impact of CAA legislation has been surprisingly small; however, the high profile of last year's drone incidents has led to widespread bans on model flying in public places. In our area, no models of any kind may be flown in public parks. To me, this is outrageous, but in the present risk-averse climate there is little that can be done.

To fly their newly purchased drones or EP RTFs, people expressed interest in joining our club. However, our rules, which permitted 'solo' flying by BMFA A Certificate holders only, put them off because they couldn't fly without a qualified person to supervise. In effect, we were discouraging participation in model flying.

To my mind, the A-Certificate rule was essential in the days when we had to learn on a 40-sized I/C trainer, but now people can learn the basics on a PC simulator and a lightweight EP foam model. Most drones more-or-less fly themselves, and many models have stability augmentation or autopilots. Lightweight EP foam models are cheap, incredibly crash-resistant, and are unlikely to cause harm or damage if they crash.

Consequently, we've amended our rules, and introduced some other measures, to address this. So far we have:

Carried out a risk assessment and amended the club rules to permit non-BMFA A Cert holders to fly models below 250g without supervision. An A Cert holder must see that they can control the model and understand its limitations before 'solo' flying is permitted.

Welcomed drone flyers and encouraged them to join.

Encouraged the use of RC flight simulators and EP foam models to learn the basics.

Used social media to arrange impromptu meetings, share advice etc.

Introduced people to 'traditional' model flying by arranging club event that involve simple and cheap builds eg Cloud Tramp, chuck gliders etc.

Used events to engage with the public (pre C-19 of course).

Built a 'traditional' club trainer for those who wish to progress their skills.

Time will tell how successful these measures are, but so far the signs are encouraging and we've seen a healthy rise in membership - including under 50s - and a substantial increase in flying activity. We've even seen drone flyers building traditional models. Of course, C-19 has helped but the trend was already apparent.

yes

24/06/2020 11:48:25

Another obituary ?

We're doing o.k, quite a few new members of late, we have no future without them, bills to pay and losing us old uns at a steady rate. This new fangled tinternet thingy has brought us more exposure, and new members.

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
22/06/2020 21:00:11

You have to write it down, or we don't know if you've done it right. wink

Looking good Chris. smiley

Thread: The great i.c. / electric finger chopping debate
22/06/2020 16:09:37
Posted by J D 8 on 22/06/2020 16:07:49:

Have we reached the bottom of the slope yet question

yes

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
21/06/2020 21:51:41

Beautiful Danny. star

Thread: Fokker DV111
21/06/2020 21:41:56

Motoring with this D.D, making a cracking job of it. yes

19/06/2020 19:32:18

Stop it, you're making me jealous. wink

Nice work though.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!