By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john stones 1

Here is a list of all the postings john stones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification
22/10/2019 17:31:57
Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 22/10/2019 17:30:30:

Not had one go on me yet, John. Even some of the cheaper versions on ARTFs I have had have been fine. Always a first time though. Not sure of anything else to try. Many moons ago I used long bolts and a couple of nuts. Now they did shear as I recall. Anyway we will see. I will be drilling out the prop this week and my drill guide just so happens to have the right pattern. I am leaving the canopy fitting as the last job, as I want to get the CoG right and I might have to adapt the "office" space.

I have bought some waxed casement window rope to hang the beast from the ceiling when i do that job. That will be interesting. disgust

yes

22/10/2019 17:03:36

Used those Dubro axles myself Adrian, they look the dogs doodahs, however I've had them fail, as have others I fly with, sheared on the nut side. You may have a different experience though ?

Thread: Latest CAA Update
22/10/2019 12:42:40
Posted by Gary Manuel on 22/10/2019 12:29:35:

Well done to the BMFA for their hard work, which I'm sure is ongoing.

They have achieved a better outcome than most of us expected, but perhaps not as good as we hoped. I'm sure that it wasn't through lack of trying that they were unable to avoid the totally pointless individual annual operator registration scheme. The political will to implement it was too just high.

Keep up the good work BMFA.

yes

22/10/2019 12:41:22
Posted by Jason-I on 22/10/2019 12:03:55:
Posted by john stones 1 on 22/10/2019 11:48:25:

Lot of noise again I see, t'was the E.U wot dummit, you are only the tip of the Iceberg and are speaking for the masses, Nanny Williamson, oh dear oh dear.

When are you going to put something forward, get yourselves upfront and lead the fight ? We've seen nothing other than digs at other people.

Rebels without the claws ?

I don't understand your objections (as usual). We pay the BMFA to represent us. I was making a suggested course of action for the BMFA to follow which I am perfectly entitled to do.- this is what I have 'put forward'

The BMFA alone can do nothing, which is why I was suggesting they use their members to continue the fight against injustice. If you are happy to pay the unfair fee for the useless scheme, then fine, you need not take part in any future action.

I have not just been banging my chest, but have been taking the fight to my MP, the DfT and the CAA in as much as I possible can.

As for your statement about the EU, this is a red herring:

The EU does not mandate us to pay a fee.

The EU does not mandate the splitting of pilot vs operator such that individuals are subsidising companies.

The EU does not mandate that we register and pay on an annual basis.

The EU doe not mandate that the CAA should spend MILLIONS on their gold plated scheme.

This scheme is wrong, it is unjust and it should be objected to at every opportunity.

Yep (As usual) you don't understand, the E.U comment came from the warrior cast, so we agree, I reckon it's a red herring also, the BMFA have put plans forward already for the memberships to get involved, some did, not just yourself, many continue to have faith in the BMFAs line as being the best way forward.

If your happy to pay the unfair fee ? Silly comment, no ones happy.

By all means continue to moan and make silly digs at others, but here's where we are, big underdogs fighting for survival, BMFA is a better bet than you people.

22/10/2019 12:04:03
Posted by Jason-I on 22/10/2019 11:35:59:

The BMFA should be urging us all to continue campaigning the DfT, the CAA and our local MP's about this issue (on a weekly basis)

If they all continued receiving tens of thousands of emails in their inboxes every week, then I'm sure they would eventually cave in.

If the BMFA calls for members to get active, I'm sure some will, in the meantime I would think it best not to do anything, that might damage where we are at present, patience is often a virtue.

22/10/2019 11:48:25

Lot of noise again I see, t'was the E.U wot dummit, you are only the tip of the Iceberg and are speaking for the masses, Nanny Williamson, oh dear oh dear.

When are you going to put something forward, get yourselves upfront and lead the fight ? We've seen nothing other than digs at other people.

Rebels without the claws ?

21/10/2019 23:05:54

I have to pay BMFA every year, never made a claim and it used to be £5, I have to pay club fees every year and I don't fly very often, no refunds, I get a year older every year, but it's better than the alternative (most days, depends on the thread). I used to go music festivals, can't afford it now and couldn't handle it anyway, penny arrows used to be a penny. dont know

21/10/2019 20:30:52

Looks like get it below double figures, to me more palatable ? crook

21/10/2019 20:06:35
Posted by Chris Berry on 21/10/2019 20:04:03:

Jason in answer to your question.

Well you and others have appeared to be grumbling about this subject a lot. I don’t want registration or fees, nor do any of us but we need to pick our battles and this is one we all chose to fight and we’ve got an outcome that is far better than it could have been.

Its not perfect and there will be bits to iron out but overall it’s far better than it could have been wouldn’t you agree?

Edited By Chris Berry on 21/10/2019 20:05:30

yes

21/10/2019 19:59:31

My accusation ?

Years of noise, puffing out of chests, belittling the efforts of those representing us.

And never anything to offer. I'll stick with the BMFA ta, you tough guys do your own thing.

21/10/2019 19:46:01
Posted by Jason-I on 21/10/2019 19:43:14:
Posted by Chris Berry on 21/10/2019 19:41:02:

None of us wanted this regulation, we’ve happily existed for 100 years without incident but in the grand scheme of what could happen e been, this outcome is 100 times better than it could have been.

No doubt there will be more legislation in coming months and years but sadly that is the nature of the world.

Domestic gas boilers are set to be replaced, as are diesel cars, 2 Stoke garden equipment and filament light bulbs. It’s not always what we want but we need to accept there will be change and in this instance we have a positive outcome for 18p a week.

But what gives you the right to say we are not proper aeromodellers just because we don't want to roll over and play dead?

And what gives you the right to accuse others of rolling over and playing dead ?

You tough guys got something, get to it and launch your plan into action, or is it just noise and foot stamping ?

21/10/2019 19:31:57
Posted by Chris Barlow on 21/10/2019 19:28:27:
Posted by john stones 1 on 21/10/2019 19:25:43:

What have we gained ? Nothing.

Thanks to the efforts of those representing us, we have a better outcome than might have been. What's ahead ? I dunno, good job we have the BMFA et al methinks.

Agreed John. We have actually lost a little bit less than we might have done.

But part of me is still keeping a careful eye on what it may lead to in the future...

As are the BMFA Chris, you put a lot into the model flying world, enjoy your hobby, change comes and we have to deal with it.

21/10/2019 19:25:43

What have we gained ? Nothing.

Thanks to the efforts of those representing us, we have a better outcome than might have been. What's ahead ? I dunno, good job we have the BMFA et al methinks.

21/10/2019 18:53:15
Posted by Peter Jenkins on 21/10/2019 18:46:46:

Excellent outcome, Well done the BMFA and the other model aircraft organisations.

Bit of a blow to the doom mongers though! Perhaps those who think the BMFA is a waste of time might like to remember what has been achieved by the BMFA working in concert with the other UK model organisations and might be less inclined to think that joining the BMFA, or other organisation, is a waste of time.

Having had a go at the on-line test, I doubt it would trouble any one capable of reading a short article and then answering some questions about what you have just read. Each section follows the same process so it is quite a benign test.

Yep agreed, there's still enough left in for the doom mongers to enjoy. wink

21/10/2019 18:11:03
Posted by Dickw on 21/10/2019 17:48:51:

CAA website now updated.

Makes interesting reading!

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 21/10/2019 17:55:12

Thanks Dick. yes

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
20/10/2019 19:30:20
Posted by McG 6969 on 20/10/2019 19:22:23:

... I must admit I prefer the Formula One game on Fantasy GP and I guess John S understands what I mean...

... but I'm a total 'newbie' regarding the Rugby WC. as I don't even understand the game rules. blush

But what I seem to understand is that a lot of UK and 'commonwealth' based countries are heavily involved in the games.

Anyhow, the only appearance I saw on telly here in BE, were the 'All Blacks' (Kiwis?) and I decided it wasn't a good plan to play 'against' them? ... 'novice fear' or just 'surviving urge'?

Are they still in the game??? ...

Cheers

Chris

Yep, England play them Saturday in the Semi final, Wales play South Africa, Sunday in the other one.

20/10/2019 15:59:44

Boks too powerful for Japan then, great hosts, joy to watch them play, they had a great tournament. star

Shane williams ? will have a job on next week kick returning. surprise Breakdowns will be brutal.

Two from each hemisphere then. face 1 Oooh the tension.

20/10/2019 12:20:31

Slept in again, grinning in the Valleys then. wink

Great game Japan v South Africa so far.

Thread: What are your three favourite war movies?
19/10/2019 21:02:54

I'm a Snowflake, war movies don't do it for me, more than enough real life misery going on.

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
19/10/2019 13:21:43

Powerful rugby from the ABs.

Commiserations Ireland, your lads kept going. yes

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us