By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john stones 1

Here is a list of all the postings john stones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA 'B' Test Video Available
08/10/2019 20:41:31
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 08/10/2019 20:29:15:

Question is then; Can I pass my B test on an electric model then fly IC models.

Only if you promise to be careful near the prop. wink

08/10/2019 16:22:47

Is there a demise of club flyers who don't fly pattern type models ?

Pretty sure when asked "what type of model is best for my B" The answer is mostly "One you're familiar/comfortable with".

Safe and in control, now it's emphasis on centering, will we soon need callers and judges sat at the required spot ?

For years we've said "B cert is not a competition/display license" beginning to sound that way to me, "They need to display accuracy John" Aye competition type accuracy.

A scheme to encourage, better safety and flying skills, or a badge for your collection.

Thread: X9D+ 2019 or Q X7S?
08/10/2019 00:06:04
Posted by Kim Taylor on 07/10/2019 23:58:44:
Posted by Kim Taylor on 14/08/2019 14:19:33:

Thanks to all for your thoughts - all very helpful.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the QX7S, because:............................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................

Just waiting for the verdict on my current radio and then to decide whether I feel I can rebuilt trust in it.

Thanks to all

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 14/08/2019 14:22:09

Having sent my old radio away for inspection / repair, getting it back with the 'all clear' then promptly losing a third model due to loss of controlangry (the radios, not mine this time) I've bitten the bullet.

In a complete volte face I've purchased an X9D plus SE 2019 and an RX6R receiver. Looks very swish!yes No-one seems to have the ACCESS protocol receivers in stock at the moment, so I've decided to initially practice setting things up in the old D16 protocol to match my rx, then once it all works I'll flash the ACCESS firmware on to the rx and switch over to that.

I've got no other Frsky rx's, so it make sense to change over as soon as possible, I think.

Anyway, fingers crossed - wish me luck!!!!smile o

Kim

yes

Thread: BMFA 'B' Test Video Available
07/10/2019 19:56:33
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 07/10/2019 19:52:25:

Time to call in the experts for a professional opinion. laugh

How can you use a starter without holding the model, to prevent it being pushed back ?

How many rules and regs we gonna end up with, how many helpers will we need, what standard shall these need to be trained to ? Last few years have seemed nowt but nit pick to me.

07/10/2019 19:47:58

Is it ? Can you hold the nose section from the front, whilst you start ?

07/10/2019 19:22:42

Fella had hold of the glow battery to keep it on, took care to remove it safely in my eyes, are we gonna question the youngster helping next ?

07/10/2019 19:16:29
Posted by Capt Kremen on 07/10/2019 13:37:16:

Geoff, having recently attended a BMFA Achievement Scheme Roadshow where Peter Willis and the BMFA team went through the whole process and ethos of the Achievement Scheme, I think I can reasonably assure you that you have nothing to fear.

Assuming your examiner is not pedantic, (unlikely), and asks about legislation and ruling that is not applicable to your type/style of flying i.e. you are not a display pilot, 'drone' pilot etc. etc. the test is about your achieving and satisfying yourself in your abilities to fly safely, with due regard to your fellow fliers, property and the environment.

As a mainly fixed wing flier myself, although technically able to be part of, for example a Helicopter or 'Quadcopter' test, personally I would feel I lack the day-to-day understanding of those types and their operation. Whilst the tests require some mandatory questions, if I were examining you as a non-display pilot, I can very easily find plenty of other relevant questions that do apply to your flying and which you as an experienced flier no doubt already know.

I'm sure you fly with care and purpose so taking this straightforward test merely adds to your personal satisfaction and sense of achievement.

Go on have a go, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Pedants may be more numerous than you think, been to a roadshow or two where they just love the sound of their own voice.

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
05/10/2019 13:57:06

Don't understand why Samoa didn't kick for touch after a penalty near their own post, they would get put in at line out, and be up the field ? Japan ended up with bonus point try , am I missing something, or it fishy ?

05/10/2019 10:01:45

It ain't pretty is it ? Red card looked harsh, but ref has little choice I suppose, not a great game.

Thread: Point of purchase tax
04/10/2019 23:05:14
Posted by Erfolg on 04/10/2019 22:15:40:

Strange thing is tax, those who impose them, believe it is their right to your money. If you travel to the next state, and purchase goods there, they often get upset that you have avoided their tax rate.

When tax rates are so high that people reduce purchasing, again they get upset at the fall in revenue. Of course there is a solution, more tax.

The EU knows the solution, harmonization of all taxes, and ensuing that once a tax rate is implemented , it cannot be reduced.

face 1

Thread: Latest CAA Update
02/10/2019 11:32:24
Posted by Nigel R on 02/10/2019 11:18:28:

"More naval gazing by a lot of overpaid Eurocrats at our expense......"

In the sorry history of the UK registration saga, it seems like the "overpaid Eurocrats" arrived at a better answer, than the pointless gold plating applied on top by the overpaid Brit quango effort.

I'd also imagine that if, say, an entire continent funded a single central agency to do this stuff, it might work out considerably cheaper for each country, than each country funding individual agencies to do the same stuff, over and again on top of the central agencies efforts.

So yes, at our expense, like most governmental agencies, but a lot less of our individual expense than, say, the humble and open minded De Vere fiddling around doing busy work and Failing Grayling's database contract.

I couldn't comment, coz it would be politics, so I'll just go. yes

Thread: A Terrifying story
01/10/2019 19:05:37
Posted by John Stainforth on 01/10/2019 18:57:06:

I have just had to apply for an over 70's driving license. This can be done completely online; no forms have to be posted in, and new photographs. As far as eyesight is concerned, one just has to tick a box stating that one's eyesight is OK for driving. In the USA, every time one has to get a driving license renewed (which is every five or ten years), one has to go in person to a local driving test center where one is photographed and given an eye test on the spot. That seems far more sensible to me than our system.

Oooh us old folk wouldn't like that, I pay taxes you know, some young pup saying I can't drive anymore, what's the World coming to, who's gonna pay for all these tests ? ME oooh no, it's not the money you understand, it's the principle, next you'll be saying I shouldn't really be flying. face 1

Thread: Club Night?
01/10/2019 17:09:22

Gave up on them long ago, fly and chippy run once a month, weather permitting.

Thread: A Terrifying story
01/10/2019 17:05:09

Just to add some balance, we have a club member who walking is an issue to, he drives no bother thankfully for him, automatic car I believe.

Thread: Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification
01/10/2019 13:35:36

Good thinking on the spray job, it a good colour match ?

Thread: Wing trailing edge
30/09/2019 19:24:17

Fly it, rest of us do with our wobbly/wavy creations. wink

Thread: Take off problems
30/09/2019 13:40:51

I'm sticking with the stall theory Steve, too much elevator or too early.

My turb used to do the same, once settled it was fine, pilot hadn't got the knack of his model.

Cured my problems by shallower climb out, and gentle elevator.

Hope you get sorted. yes

Edited By john stones 1 on 30/09/2019 13:43:49

30/09/2019 13:28:35

Flies o.k once settled down ?

Sounds like it's close to stalling when leaving the deck, you got a handful on the floor and pulling off early ?

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
30/09/2019 00:20:16
Posted by iqon on 30/09/2019 00:18:12:

Well done John.

Thank you Igor. wink

29/09/2019 22:26:17

Seb cost me two predictions, I read McClaren will be merc powered next year ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us