By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for robk

Here is a list of all the postings robk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: F86 "Gamma" Build
10/05/2020 13:02:16

Hi Austin

Another pilot option is the one by Freewing recommended to me by Chris. It cost €5 plus postage from MotionRC -

Here is a link:

https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/pilot-figures/products/freewing-pilot-figure-16

img_1788.jpeg

Here he is in my plane

img_2195.jpg

Thread: Rob's F-86F NASA 228 research aircraft build
10/05/2020 12:52:00

And here it is finished and ready to go. I reckon it wouldn't have been done without all this enforced 'home' time. Its not going to be the best F86 at the Orme by any means, but I have learned a lot, tried out new processes such as glassing, decals, spray painting so I am glad to have done it. After all the hours put in there will be some butterflies when I chuck it off the edge of a hill - hopefully in the not too distant future...img_2340.jpg

img_2342.jpg

img_2341.jpg

10/05/2020 12:46:49

And then on to the final coat of sprayed satin lacquer to protect the decals. I masked up the canopy and linkages first.

img_2336.jpg

10/05/2020 12:44:33

Thanks Chris - that sounds like another good way to do it.

Im nearly there now. I have done some 'light' weathering, just a bit of silver paint around the scratch points and black paint to form dirt lines.

img_2337.jpg

Edited By robk on 10/05/2020 12:45:31

01/05/2020 11:04:07

Thanks for that advice guys. Graham - I had tried to buy the Molotow stuff when I got the paint but it was out of stock and still is - its great paint so I guess it would have been as good. Anyway, I have ordered Halfords acrylic lacquer as Peter suggest - and they have satin too which looks a better match as it says its for spraying over all paints. The gloss says says its for metallics (though Im sure it would have been ok). Im waiting for a little jar of tamiya silver to do my weathering - my old one was empty.

Thread: Sabre made in Belgium
30/04/2020 12:24:12

Fantastic details - you guys have better skills and patience than me for sure. It will be great to see them all together at the Orme in September (fingers crossed!)

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
30/04/2020 12:19:57

Excellent detail Chris - your plastic pilot must be happy in the home you have made for him.

30/04/2020 12:15:46

Here's the model with all the panel lines and decals added. Just some weathering to do before a final coat of varnish or lacquer. I have a tin of satin varnish here but I will have to brush that on. Or I could get a spray can of acrylic lacquer from Halfords (they are open if you order in advance online) but they only have gloss. I have done a sample and I'm tempted to try the brushing. Any advice?

Also I forgot to mention earlier that I set up the CG and it needed a further 50gms of lead in the front of the battery box - Im just using 4 AA sized Nimhs for my receiver battery. Total weight inc. battery is 1.92kg (4.23lbs)

img_2324.jpg

30/04/2020 12:06:11

So here is how I fixed the issue of using transparent decal paper on dark backgrounds. The pictures speak for themselves really. I used low-tack FROG tape to cut out the mask, cheap acrylic art paint brushed onto the model.

img_2316.jpg

img_2318.jpg

img_2319.jpg

img_2323.jpg

Thread: Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread
27/04/2020 17:55:34

Those drop tanks look excellent... great techniques and so many different ways to make the omelette, but Im kind of glad my chosen version didn't use them as (a) I dont have to make them (b) I won't have to collect them when they fall off on landing.

screenshot 2019-12-06 at 10.42.18.jpeg

27/04/2020 17:46:44

img_2313.jpgAnd now onto the panel lines - just using Edding waterproof marker pens for this and a flexible ruler.

img_2312.jpg

27/04/2020 17:45:42

The result - not all have been placed yet. This was quite painless actually. I recommend these inkjet decals. There are some issues in that the eagle-eyed will notice that you can't print white so a transparent paper will just show the colour below. You can get white backed decal paper but then you have to cut exactly around every part of the image - not practical for most things. Also any pale colour will show the colour below - however, I have a fix for it. I will try it for the RESCUE arrows which are yellow and see if it works... img_2256.jpg

27/04/2020 17:39:36

Thanks Guys. The next job was painting the black and yellow sections on the plane same as before. Then, here is what I have been doing with the markings. I decided to have a go myself as (a) this is a model I am learning from and (b) I'm mean! I found the odd markings like the NASA meatball logo on the internet and downloaded the correct fonts for the lettering. I then typed/assembled them on a simple word document changing the size as required. I also found a decal set for an F86 with all the small lettering - it was the wrong scale and cost $150! So instead of using that I grabbed some of the lettering and markings from a pinterest file and then edited them in Photoshop so they would be the right size and colour and print ok. I printed everything out on my home inkjet printer on ordinary paper and cut them up to check the size was right - I tweaked some of the sizes. Then I printed them out onto inkjet decal paper and sprayed this with matt varnish.

img_2254.jpg

22/04/2020 15:26:01

As a reminder this is what Im going for.

nasa 228.jpeg

img_2194.jpg

img_2195.jpg

Edited By robk on 22/04/2020 15:26:32

22/04/2020 15:25:10

Been a while since I posted but I have been doing some work. Whilst waiting for paint etc. via the mail I have looked up some of the markings that will be needed for my chosen version NASA 228. I then had a go at the cockpit, painting it up (as well as the pilot to make him look less military). The paint arrived earlier this week so I spent a couple of days masking up. Then a sunny day today (if a little windy) so decided to do it. I found a quite corner of the garden and took my time. This is the first time I have done any spraying so I am pretty pleased with the result. Next stage will be the black parts of the design.

img_2168.jpg

img_2193.jpg

03/04/2020 12:51:06

I have given it many coats of varnish and grey primer and much sanding. The varnish was good advice, however, my inferior planking has come home to roost and I think this is as good as it will get. So I have sprayed on the silver base coat. This plane's finish will not earn any prizes but I have learnt a lot for the next one. That's called being philosophical! I think it will be passable once all the other colours, details and weathering are done. At least its shiny now!

img_2097.jpeg

Next job is connecting all these servos and making sure they work appropriately. The setup looks quite neat.

img_2105.jpeg

Edited By robk on 03/04/2020 12:52:02

30/03/2020 11:30:52

Thanks guys. Just so happens I have some of that varnish in stock. I have used it in the past over solartex finishes to toughen it up and it works fine that way. I will take your advice and use it on this model. Last night I painted on the grey primer so will now give it a coat of varnish.

Thread: Sabre made in Belgium
29/03/2020 13:41:59

What an amazing job Dirk! We are not worthy...

29/03/2020 13:33:35

A few days later and I had given it a first sand with wet and dry paper (wet). Then have given it its first coat of filler-primer (actually two coats). This revealed a few obvious gaps which I filled then sanded it down again with wet and dry. I am a bit surprised at how much the weave of the glass still shows through the paint. Not sure why? The peel ply looked pretty filled. Anyway, after this sanding it feels much smoother. When the wind calms down I will give it a couple of coats of grey primer. Not only the first glassed model for me its also the first one I have painted with the spray paint (using Halfords stuff). The close up photo looks worse than it actually is - not sure why.

img_2094.jpeg

img_2095.jpeg

Edited By robk on 29/03/2020 13:34:51

29/03/2020 13:28:00

I also have fixed the flaps and ailerons in place. Glued in place with cyano and then small holes drilled for glued in pegs made from tooth picks.

img_2080.jpeg

Edited By robk on 29/03/2020 13:36:28

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!