By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Burton

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Burton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Amazon completes first Prime Air delivery in Cambridge
14/12/2016 18:01:33

I can't see how Amazon managed this flight and stayed compliant with the ANOs bearing in mind the requirement to keep the aircraft in sight of the person controlling it or a competent observer at all times.

Thread: XT30 connectors
09/11/2016 12:35:56

Andy - you have far more qualifications and experience than I do and I am glad to hear that the outer strands were not cut, which was a suggestion made earlier in this thread. That was what my bodge comment referred to. I would still be interested to see what your joints look like before the heat shrink is added.

Personally I will continue to use combinations of connectors and cable that allow all of the strands to be accommodated within the "bucket" of the terminal. If that means using larger connectors then so be it.

09/11/2016 09:06:51

I would be interested to see the 14 AWG wires with outer strands cut and soldered to the connector before the heat shrink is applied. Dangerous or not, it sounds like a bodge to me.

08/11/2016 08:54:52
Posted by onetenor on 08/11/2016 02:20:18:

IF the shrink tube will still enter the bucket the ends of the cut strands would be covered . Ergo no problem

I think that we may be using the word bucket to mean different things. What I take it to mean is the metal terminal on the connector which, until it is tinned, looks like a bucket. This is the part that I believe that the stripped and tinned wire should fit in without the need to trim some strands of the cable. This allows appropriately sized heat shrink to fully cover the connection because its internal diameter allows it to slip over the bucket whilst its external diameter fits inside the insulator.

07/11/2016 16:37:29

There is an electrical reason for doing it, ie to cover as much of the electrical connection as possible. Why else is there a gap around the connector inside the insulator ?

Thread: fast charge vs lipo chargd
07/11/2016 15:07:15
Posted by Percy Verance on 07/11/2016 13:59:58:

I balance charge every charge.........

Me too. It takes a little longer but is well worth it for the peace of mind it gives.

Thread: XT30 connectors
07/11/2016 11:14:42
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 07/11/2016 09:08:44:

Cut back the outer strands leaving just enough of the inner strands to fill the bucket and those outer strands should sit flush with the outside of the bucket, not over it. The heat shrink should still fit right down to the moulding.

That sounds like a very nasty way to solder wires to these, or any other, connectors. The connection between the outer strands and the bucket will be end on and will provide little or no mechanical strength which will provide a point of failure.

07/11/2016 08:56:45

" do bear in mind that not all the core has to sit inside the bucket,"

I don't like the sound of that. If XT30s are anything like XT60s, and they look like it, then I like to put the heatshrink right into the insulator and if anything is outside the bucket this is difficult if not impossible.

Thread: Drone hits Heathrow plane
05/11/2016 14:22:42

Did you notice that the story dates from the 18th of April 2016 ?

The conclusion was that "A passenger plane thought to have been struck as it approached Heathrow airport was probably not hit by a drone after all, the government says."

Thread: lipo batt question
01/11/2016 10:32:41
Posted by Simon Chaddock on 01/11/2016 10:05:49:

It will only use the balance leads to balance charge right at the end of the charge cycle when the current has dropped to a small value.

In my experience of monitoring Lipo charging the balancing occurs early in the charging process or probably throughout it rather than just at the end. The important point is still that the balancing current is small compared to that being carried by the main charging leads.

Thread: hobbyking - big changes
30/10/2016 12:12:03

The HK Web developers will, of course, have been working to a full specification (*) that had been agreed by the management (*) and shared with users (*) and the specification will have included the enhanced "user experience" (*), the perceived improvements from the user's perspective (*) and the company's perspective(*) and there will have been extensive consultation with a representative group of typical users (*) who will have been given the opportunity to provide feedback on the design and operation of the new design based on beta versions of the software (*). The new site will have been designed based on metrics collected from the existing site showing how users used it (*) and typical paths taken through it (*) as well as feedback from typical customer complaints and comments (*). The site will have been "stress" tested to ensure that it could cope with the expected volume of transactions (*) which would be higher than usual having been down for a number of hours and a tested method of rolling back to the previous site would have been in place in the event of any major problems (*)

* If I have counted correctly there are 13 points in my post that I believe should have been in place in order that the upgrade was a success but it is almost certain that either most of them were not in place or if they were that they were badly implemented.

Thread: How much does your club membership cost on top of your adult 33 pounds BMFA membership?
26/10/2016 12:11:51

I would have answered "I don't belong to a club" but there was no option for that.

Thread: The Death Of The English Language As We Know It.
24/10/2016 14:09:39
Posted by jrman on 23/10/2016 12:50:13:

Why do so many TV and radio presenters insist on saying ----- every ----single----- word------ separately and not speak them together as a coherent sentence? Robert Peston is one of the chief protagonists IMHO.

Maybe because he has a stammer which, for a broadcast journalist, is very brave.

23/10/2016 12:36:54

My current pet hate, which causes me to shout at the radio (wireless !) or the TV, is the emphasis on the first syllable of the word research

Thread: Life Today and Customer "Choice".
20/10/2016 14:11:07
Posted by Cuban8 on 20/10/2016 09:47:18:

My elderly mother-in-law was being harassed by all manner of calls despite TPS registration, so I fitted one of those call filtering devices to her line and programmed it to block all unknown or withheld numbers. Family, doctor, hospital and one or two other important agencies are the only people that call her now, and she is blissfully unaware of the work the little gizmo is doing behind the scenes on her behalf. True customer choice.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/10/2016 09:50:17

Unfortunately GPs and hospitals usually withhold their number to avoid you calling back on a direct line to the extension being used, so their incoming calls are likely to be blocked by the filtering device.

Thread: A question of physics.....
15/10/2016 17:53:33

"The point is that the wheels can rotate at a rate faster or lower than the speed of the conveyor by either advancing or retreating on it."

Not according to the original post.

15/10/2016 10:46:39

"We know that if this plane applies take-off power and takes the brakes off, it will achieve flying speed and take off regardless of what the conveyor is doing."

Sorry, but we know no such thing, because the conveyor will speed up moving the plane backwards to compensate for the wheels (and the plane) moving forward. Hence the plane will stay still.

15/10/2016 07:21:31
Posted by onetenor on 15/10/2016 01:28:29:

The car and the plane get their thrust in different ways The car via driven wheels in contact with the road. The plane from jet/props which act upon the air not the conveyor.thus pushing the plane forward irrespective of belt speed.

But in the case of the original question the conveyor moves at the same speed as the wheels, so if/when the plane speeds up so will the conveyor to compensate for it. Thus the plane will stay in the same position on the conveyor and have no airspeed so cannot take off.

14/10/2016 16:42:52

"the belt is moving backwards at 75mph and the plane is moving forwards at 75mph giving a total indicated speed of 150mph. "

In the case of the plane is that airspeed or ground speed ?

What became of the fact that the speed of the conveyor matches that of the wheels but in the opposite direction ?

14/10/2016 12:06:54
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/10/2016 11:50:13:

To my mind, if the take-off speed of the aircraft is for sake of argument 150mph, then as the aircraft accelerates the conveyor will accelerate in the opposite direction to equal the wheel speed so at 150 mph the aircraft will achieve lift off. At this point the conveyor will be running at 300mph in the opposite direction.

Physics is easy, you just need the right medication wink 2

How fast is the aircraft moving through the air when the conveyor is moving at 300 mph ?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!