By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bob Burton

Here is a list of all the postings Bob Burton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help with problem re newly purchased ESCs and motors
29/06/2016 21:05:06

Posted by Mannyroad on 29/06/2016 20:54:03

these were all fully charged 3 weeks ago

People report different effects, but the general advice is not to leave Lipos fully charged for long periods. The definition of long in this context is variable !

Thread: Is this 'acceptable'?
12/06/2016 07:42:24
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 12/06/2016 07:31:40:

Depending how flexible your TX is, could you not have normal proportional rudder (on the stick) with a three position switch mixed in so that the rudder was also controlled by the switch (full left, centre, full right) - full vintage experience would be flying on the switch but with a safety net of the stick should you need it....

Full vintage experience would be a progressive rudder (left, right, left etc on each press and hold) or a progressive movement (left on hold then through right on release or press, release hold to give right via left) Add in "quick blip" and/or a third escapement position for extra fun.

12/06/2016 06:52:40

Do you have a spring loaded momentary contact switch on your Tx ? If so you could possibly program that to provide the authentic single channel experience

Thread: Setting up controls
10/06/2016 17:38:09
Posted by Denis Watkins on 10/06/2016 17:25:56:

Monty,

You need to explain what you are trying to do, as you realise, you would loose control of the motor through the ESC

Can you not control the ESC with just a data and GND connection without taking power from the BEC in the ESC.

Thread: Lipo battery brand choice
08/06/2016 17:31:08
Posted by Erfolg on 08/06/2016 16:16:49:

Bob

I had been led to believe that it was not desirable to store Lipos at low temperatures (most fridges being set to about 4 deg C). I guess that you store in the semi discharged/storage voltage. My understanding that if stored when at max capacity it was the temperature drop that could cause the lipo to exceed the max voltage as when charged at ambient. Not being an expert, the views of some informed people would be useful.

Again knowing nothing of quads, are they a high current demand application?

Like many subjects you can find conflicting advice and stories on the Web. Putting my lipos in the fridge is a fairly recent innovation since we got a new 'fridge and the old one was relegated to the garage and now holds beer and lipos. May main concern was that the garage can get quite hot.

Compare and contrast http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2537287 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694131 for two different views, although the circumstances were not quite the same.

As to the current demand in quads being high, then the answer is yes, and no ! There are, after all, 4 motors being used to pull the model into the air and no other form of lift, but what makes most difference is the style of flying. If I just pootle around not doing too much then I can easily get 8 minutes but start throwing them around, at least within my limited ability, and the flight times drop off as more current is used recovering from manoeuvres which uses higher current is short bursts

Summary : I don't know what to do for the best and neither, so it seems, does anyone else.

08/06/2016 16:08:19
Posted by Erfolg on 08/06/2016 12:10:40:

It would be most interesting to have an idea of how many who have followed this thread have used Nanotech, how many have used them without issue and the number with issues.

I have 6 3S 1300maH Nanotechs that I use on a 250 and slightly larger multirotor and have had no problems. I have the transmitter set to warn of low voltage below 10.5 volts and land soon after it warns. The lipos generally recover to about 11 volts when disconnected and I am meticulous at putting them back to storage voltage after use with a balance charge.

The lipos are not used in a strict rotation but are picked from the 'fridge at random for charging.. Any not used or partially used during a flying session are returned to storage voltage unless I am going to use them the next day. Like all such regimes I sometimes slip and don't put them back to storage voltage but I keep any charged packs to one side they usually get used again with a few days.

As someone said earlier in the thread you will hear good and bad stories about any/all brands of lipos. As they say, Your Mileage May Vary.

Thread: How do you keep track of your lipos?
28/05/2016 17:28:49
Posted by Phil 9 on 28/05/2016 16:12:47:

I like charge markers

I thought they looked useful but would really like them to be able to indicate 3 states. Charged, used and at storage voltage.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
13/05/2016 08:55:21
Posted by Peter Miller on 13/05/2016 08:43:39:

THis listing says "found" . As itis a marine engine I imagine that it was found at the bottom of a pond.

**LINK**

"The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended."

"THIS ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OVER "

Thread: To look away or not to look away? That is the 'A' question!
13/05/2016 08:51:42
Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/05/2016 08:43:50:

We had an incident at our field recently where a very experienced pilot who was landing did not check the landing area and almost hit the chap strimming the weeds at the end of the runway. While the chap strimming should have said he was going to be there the pilot should also have looked where he was going.

What on Earth was he doing stimming weeds at the end of the runway whist it was being used ?

Thread: Are you an active slope soarer?
03/05/2016 08:55:04

30 years ago, yes, twice a week.

Then I moved to East Anglia where suitable slopes are few and far between so now the answer is no.

Thread: Servo Tester
23/04/2016 14:46:20

I await with interest finding out what the OP actually meant.

23/04/2016 13:03:58

I fully understand the principle of how servos work in respect of the signals that are sent to them from the receiver. What I was querying was the statements about setting the end points and centre position of servos using a servo tester. It is quite possible that I have misunderstood the question and answer but that is what I believe was being asked.

The original question : " Can you just install servo and pushrods and use one of these to centre wherever you like?"

and the answer : "Yes, and set up the throw travel. And test a servo."

23/04/2016 12:42:26
Posted by Donald Fry on 23/04/2016 09:21:33:
Posted by Rich2 on 23/04/2016 09:08:16:

This is useful as I have recently thought about getting one. Can you just install servo and pushrods and use one of these to centre wherever you like?

Yes, and set up the throw travel. And test a servo.

Can you really set the centre position and the throw travel of a normal (non digital) servo using a servo tester, which is what I believe Rich2 was asking.

Thread: Plane (apparently not) hit by drone at Heathrow.
18/04/2016 12:38:15

I see that

"The object has since been recovered and multiple reports suggest it was a drone, flow by persons unknown."

We shall see how true those multiple reports turn out to be.

Thread: positioning battery for best C 0f G ???
18/04/2016 10:36:45

From my admittedly limited experience I would say put the Lipo wherever it suits you. I have an EPP 3D model and the Rx, ESC and battery are all on the same side of the fuselage with no obvious ill effects.

If I was a better pilot I suppose that I might notice the effect of the weight all being on one side and it did occur to me to put the battery on the opposite side to the electronics but I have never felt the need to do so.

Others with more experience may have other views.

Thread: goodbye
08/04/2016 07:15:44

No need to go anywhere.

You can still be a member of this forum even if you are not a subscriber.

Thread: Re-glueing control horn to elapor (easy star 2)
06/04/2016 18:59:10
Posted by Simon Kirk on 06/04/2016 18:52:31:
Bob you lost me mate, the control horn is the piece of plastic the rod connects to and not the hinge am I right? :/

Whoops on my part. It is me that is confused.

06/04/2016 17:15:06
Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 06/04/2016 16:03:41:

Looks like i need to get to Specsavers I read the original post as an elevator hinge problem. !!!

Not surprising as that is what it said.

"The control horn on the elevator seems to have come loose"

Thread: Things to do on the slope
25/03/2016 08:55:49

Are there not rules (laws ?) about dropping objects from aircraft ?

Thread: Land Line Charges
23/03/2016 08:37:48

In practice I I can't see things changing much. After all, the line still has to be there for Broadband access whether or not you use the line for a 'phone. Now, if there were decent countrywide 4G coverage the situation might be different.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!