By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robert Cracknell

Here is a list of all the postings Robert Cracknell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thinking of changing my car
03/08/2018 16:52:17

Three salutary tales about main dealers....(some car makes and names excluded)

The first was when I took my new company car for a service and earlier in the day I had collected £120 membership fee from a friend for a fishing syndicate. The money was in a plain brown envelope, sealed and buried below the junk in the glove box. I put it there myself and locked the glove box. I took the vehicle for a service and when I got home the money was gone. Too late to go back so I returned in the morning and confronted the manager about the theft. To my amazement he backed his staff saying they would never do anything like that. I assured him that the only people to have access to a locked glove box were the mechanics. He stood his ground, demanding proof and I was £120 lighter.

The second, a late friend of mine, owned a Mitsubishi Shogun. He took it to the main dealer for servicing (a condition of the extended warranty). The following evening the vehicle was driven off the drive and into the night. Months later the police raided a farm where a gang of vehicle thieves were operating and found evidence that the vehicle (amongst others) had been there. Gang members told the police that they got mechanics in main dealerships to copy keys and supply names and addresses so the vehicles could be stolen without damage.

The third was when I took my car for a main dealer service and the invoice showed 'Supply and fit new rear wiper blade - £22.50. First I asked to inspect the old blade but this couldn't be found. I then asked the service manager why it could not be found. He did not know. I provided the answer in that the car was a saloon and DID NOT HAVE ONE....The look on his face was priceless...!! The invoice was corrected.

The moral of this story is whatever car you decide to buy make sure you know who is looking after it...!!

Edited By Robert Cracknell on 03/08/2018 16:56:16

Thread: Mary Ellis
26/07/2018 15:19:33

Tom

Germany may have had female ferry pilots but they most certainly had female test pilots - Hannah Reitsch and Melitta Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg. Both of these flew the early rocket powered fighters and later ME262's.

Hannah has featured in TV documentaries and is believed to have committed suicide in 1979 with a cyanide pill given to her by Hitler towards the end of the war.

Edited By Robert Cracknell on 26/07/2018 15:20:10

Thread: Mick Charles Models, Surrey closing down
26/07/2018 11:54:47

Sad though the demise of another LMS is we should reward and support the efforts of those that still strive to support our hobby.

I, for one, give a vote to Colchester A1 Models. I am not a regular visitor having had to put a temporary halt on my modelling but each time I go into this veritable Aladdins cave they inevitably have what I need and I am served in a knowledgeable and friendly way. Long may it last.

Thread: RAF Scampton to be sold
25/07/2018 13:12:29

The Hawk is still in production as two seat trainer and single seat light fighter. Many exports to it's credit.

See **LINK**

Thread: Oshkosh airshow live
25/07/2018 11:11:51

Had the privilege of doing it in '89 and as it was an organised tour (via one of the modelling mags I think) and as we were BMFA members we had flightline passes. I went with a good friend (now deceased) who was an ex rear gunner on 57 Sq Lancs The Canadian Lancaster had just been restored and was due to display. A quick mention about his rear gunner career and we were on board for a ground tour before she flew - unforgettable!

Also saw the legendary late Bob Hoover do a full set of aerobatics in an Aero Commander twin with engines off. There is a video of them on Youtube.

Met up with the owner of a P51 Mustang called Gunfighter Two. Jokingly asked where Gunfighter One was and the reply...."Oh you wouldn't know, it's in the sea somewhere off Clacton in England" I explained I was from Essex and we found out the Mustang was based at Wormingford near Colchester.

Also as part of the trip we visited the Byron Originals factory as well as Strategic Air Command HQ at Offutt AB where we had on board tours of a KC135 and B1 Lancer - but that's another story....

25/07/2018 10:52:17

Possibility the Reds would be co located at either Leeming or Valley where Hawk servicing facilities are available. Not much of a saving if they have an airfield and servicing to themselves - just another Scampton.

Thread: Mick Charles Models, Surrey closing down
24/07/2018 17:17:24

A recent report highlighted the fact that internet based suppliers paid only 25% of the business rate that a high street retailer pays....and more rises on the way for the high street.

Greedy local government is not only killing model shops, they're killing all shops.

They clearly like high street full of a mix of charity shops, estate agents and empty windows.

Until this anomaly is addressed the future looks bleak indeed..!!

24/07/2018 12:31:21

Any conflict is a numbers game - the side that can survive the highest attrition rate will win. It is OK in peacetime to put your faith in a small number of high tech assets but when the shooting starts and losses mount you will need more assets. Trouble is, at the current rate of disposals, we'll have nowhere to put any additional forces.

I do believe there is some sort of parliamentary committee looking at the use of airfields post military. If they are allowed to be used for civilian operations they would at least still be available for use in emergencies. I suppose it is a sort of paid for care and maintenance status.

That is provided the NIMBY's, planning authorities, CAA and anybody else with a spanner to insert in the works can be accommodated.

Thread: No Hosepipe Then?
20/07/2018 12:17:33

Maybe if the water companies put a little bit of their massive profits into solar powered desalination plants as they have done in the middle east it would help ease the situation.

Also why don't we talk to the Israelis - they had a plan to 'Make the desert bloom' and it worked. I had a friend who worked on a Kibbutz in the desert harvesting fruit and flowers.

I have a little bit of sympathy for the water companies through. I once heard an anecdote (I'll call it that because I cannot verify it) about a water company that applied for planning permission to build a reservoir. The list of objecting organisations was so long that the inevitable public enquiry would have gone on for years. Didn't happen! In this case when they try to plan for the future red tape always blocks the way.

It's a bit like all those people who fly away on holiday but vehemently object to any nearby airport development.

NIMBY I think they call it.....

Edited By Robert Cracknell on 20/07/2018 12:24:36

Thread: World Cup 2018
13/07/2018 15:14:18

No, just making the same observations as some of the pundits, one of which asked Gareth in the immediate post match interview if Harry was carrying an injury - the answer was no. Do not confuse opinionating with blaming.

13/07/2018 14:48:35

Was Harry Kane at the Croatia game....? All I saw was a lone Raheem Sterling, and latterly Jamie Vardy, in front of goal and with no support from the other so called striker. Mid way through the game HK missed a pass meant for him because he wasn't even looking..!! Overrated.

Thread: Foams and Glues
12/07/2018 17:49:37

Jewsons are pretty much countrywide.....

**LINK**

12/07/2018 17:00:57

Perhaps you could all group together via the forum to put in a minimum order before it goes....

12/07/2018 16:25:32

Erfolg

Try here....**LINK**

or

here...https://www.panelsystems.co.uk/product/floormate?attribute_pa_group=floormate-500a&attribute_pa_product-name=floormate-500a-2&attribute_pa_length=1250&attribute_pa_width=600&attribute_pa_thickness=50&attribute_pa_unit-of-sale=pack-8-brds6m2&attribute_pa_min-order-qty=6&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiNKN-u6Z3AIVQ7cbCh1EJw-BEAQYAyABEgKMNfD_BwE

Edited By Robert Cracknell on 12/07/2018 16:27:48

Thread: Work Bench Protection
12/07/2018 13:46:15

I put a sacrificial layer of oiled hardboard over mine, not too thick and easily replaced and the oiling help prevent spilled glue etc from sticking to it.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
12/07/2018 12:10:23

This is a transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995 released by the Chief of Naval Operations.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course

Canadians: No! I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN. THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT’S ONE-FIVE DEGREES NORTH OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse Your call !!

12/07/2018 11:46:45

I rear-ended a car this morning. So, there we were alongside the road and slowly the other driver got out of his car. You know how sometimes you just get soooo stressed and little things just seem funny?

Yeah, well I couldn't believe it.... He was a DWARF!!!

He stormed over to my car, looked up, and shouted, “I AM NOT HAPPY !!!"

So, I looked down at him and said, "Well, then which one are you?"

And then the fight started.....

Thread: Jack plugs and sockets
11/07/2018 13:13:49

FB

Jack plugs and sockets, whatever size, are not suitable for power supply uses as there is a momentary short of the contacts when connecting.

Better to use 4mm Banana plugs with separate +ve and -ve or use a DC power plug like these....**LINK**

Larger sizes and a range of sockets are available.

Edited By Robert Cracknell on 11/07/2018 13:15:03

Thread: Your Club. Larger, Smaller or Static?
09/07/2018 11:40:45

From Acorns......

09/07/2018 11:22:52

It would be interesting to know if anyone out there has tried to promote model flying specifically at the youth of the country?

I am thinking along the lines of inviting the local ATC group, scouting groups to your flying sites or promoting at the local engineering technical college. Many of these organisations look to arrange for visits to local places/groups of interest and they have some of the characteristics that we are looking for i.e. working as a group, working towards bettering themselves through qualification and in some cases a direct interest in aviation!

All of these groups also have equal opportunity, diversity and inclusivity policies so any promotions carried out will be to all.

Does the BMFA have a recruitment policy? Does it include the younger elements of society?

Without a new influx of youth the hobby will suffer.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us