By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J D 8

Here is a list of all the postings J D 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ASP etc gone
24/06/2019 18:17:54

Go diesel, P A W have several sizes available from 1/2 to 10cc.wink

Thread: Milson Airstrip
22/06/2019 22:18:31

Lovely pic'syes

Thread: Who said it would never happen in our lifetime
21/06/2019 08:31:30

SAVE THE PLANET is what people say.

The planet has existed for four billion years and will go on for about another four billion years until the sun runs out of fuel and becomes a red giant star and swallows up the earth.

IT is not the planet that needs saving. It is the human race and many of the creatures that live along side us.

But I guess " SAVE THE HUMAN RACE " does not have the same ring to it and is to close to the truth of what is about to happen should we fail to take action over pollution and population growth.

20/06/2019 13:54:38

Nigel, Latest predictions of population growth from those not afraid to tell the truth show it continuing to grow exponentially for the next fifty years and this despite a decline in output of necessary stuff like food and energy per person. Many more people will be just surviving not "living".

Life standards are already declining in many third and second world country's Re the large increase in migrants around the world looking for a better life as their own lands degenerate into conflict. Often said to be for religious or tribal reasons there is nearly always an underlying grab for resources

John.

20/06/2019 11:38:42

Peter is right, the real Elephant in the room is population growth. When I was born in the early 50,s there were some 2 billion people on the planet. Up from less than a billion pre industrial revolution.

Now in less than a  lifetime we are heading for 8 billion !

In the early 70,s The Club of Rome published "The Limits of Growth" that predicted the future of mankind. Very much poo pooed by leaders of the world at the time and ignored by those that followed.

We are very much on the track of those predictions of nearly fifty years ago despite many suggestions how things could be improved. All ignored because of short term greed.

I truly believe that those of us who were born or grown up in the latter half of the last century are the luckiest generation's

Edited By J D 8 on 20/06/2019 11:40:24

Thread: Dambusters Raid
17/06/2019 22:04:46

The bombsite use by 617 squadron was similar but more sophisticated than the Sperry. It was called the SABS, Stabilizing Automatic Bomb Site. It took in information supplied from most of the crew to the bomb aimer.

Only 617 operated it as it took a lot of practice and skill to get results. Another problem was the aircraft had to have a ten mile straight and level run to the target, not nice when someone is shooting at you.

With allied local air superiority, to get all aircraft over the target in as short a time as possible 617 would circle the target like Indians around a waggon train and at a given signal all head for the target. Aircraft would fly at different levels and a slight time delay so as not to collide and hopefully not drop bombs on one another.

Thread: Turbine Wot
16/06/2019 08:17:51

I have said that " This is the most expensive model I have ever flown " The difference being the cost was ten times less. Still good though.yes

Thread: CofG
14/06/2019 13:41:21

To far forward I would say.

Your elevator response may be sluggish and inverted flight can only be held with a lot of down elevator. Getting into a proper is spin difficult or impossible and will also pitch excessively with speed changes.

A Sebart 342 and similar types should have a neutral handling at most speeds, in other words it keeps going in whatever direction you last pointed it, at least until the energy is gone.

Edited By J D 8 on 14/06/2019 13:51:44

Thread: Dambusters Raid
13/06/2019 18:15:11

The Germans may have had the dams repaired pretty quick but there was not much water in them until the winter. Also some 10000 workers were diverted from building Hitlers Atlantic wall as well as many thousands of soldiers and guns sent to protect the dams from another low level attack.

Later in the war 617 attacked the Sorpe dam again using 12000 lb Tallboy ground penetrating [earthquake ] bombs but still it held. Construction was different as it was an earth bank with a central concrete core. Repairs needed were minor.

In the 50's during further repairs an unexploded Tallboy was found and a large area was evacuated. It was defused by two brave bomb disposal officers, one German one British.

13/06/2019 13:38:01

The upkeep bomb did look like an oil drum.

At my local airfield there is on display an inert Highball bomb. A smaller version of upkeep that was for use against anchored ships but never used in combat.

The local example was dropped from a Mosquito at tests done on a disused railway line to see if tunnels could be targeted. Some did go down the tunnel and there are impressive chunks taken out of the brickwork as the bomb slammed along.

The recovered one was a miss that was found in a field nearby.

13/06/2019 10:08:09

Also have an interest in what was the first precision bombing raid.

In the 60's plastic model maker Revill brought  their 1/72nd Dambuster Lancaster out when the Upkeep bomb came off the secret list. I made one and the bomb was nothing like the one's in Dambuster film as when the film was made in the 50's they just had to guess what it looked like.

Director Michael Anderson went to a lot of trouble to find actors and extras that looked like those they portray in the film.

Edited By J D 8 on 13/06/2019 10:08:56

Thread: TV Licence petition
12/06/2019 18:49:19

Might it be possible to divert some of the votes to the drone petition /devil

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
08/06/2019 21:26:28

Done.

Thread: Good luck to the BMFA
08/06/2019 08:12:39

+ 1 on the above.

We need more items like this in the main media if we are to influence a change in the proposed regulations.

I speak from experience of representing a much smaller [ than the BMFA ] voluntary rescue organisation members in dispute with the DoT.

Thread: Drone harassment
07/06/2019 16:41:41

There was a video posted on the tube a while ago by a member of a group of combat wing flyers who were enjoying themselves in multi plane action when an interloping quad from somewhere unknown came into view and started to film the action.

It does not last long and the last few frames are of a combat wing coming in on an attack run from above at high speed.smileywhich brings the quad down.yes

Thread: Slowing down (a sports-aero) on landings - flaperons or spoilerons?
07/06/2019 13:43:55

My Major Mannock demonstrates the weather vane effect very well. On landing , mostly roller type as I keep control for longer, as soon as the tail goes down it turns into wind and there is nothing one can do. I think the smallish rudder is blanked. A three point landing results in the same as soon as the wheels/skid touch if not directly into wind.

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
06/06/2019 16:49:52

And if more than a minority stand and say they are against this proposal then it may well push a change of mind by the DoT.

Thread: Mills 75 setting up throttle
04/06/2019 17:57:08

Alan, I have fitted my P 75 with a replacement carb/tank from Steve Webb Models for a RC assist Veron Cardinal. Larger than standard tank and unlike the original which was held in place with bend over tabs [ which snap off ] The replacement is screw on. Cheers, John.

04/06/2019 15:56:36

If you own a 42 year old Land Rover and service it yourself like I have been this afternoon you will really know what getting oily is.smiley

03/06/2019 22:41:36

I am the only one who fly's diesel at our club, for some older members it brings back memory's of their youth.smiley Others don't knowdont know what to make of it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us