By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J D 8

Here is a list of all the postings J D 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Jet Pack Paramedic - Coming to a Hillside Near You!
30/09/2020 21:33:10

Quad bikes sometime used by rescuers, belonging to the local farmer.

30/09/2020 15:50:34

In answer to Robin and Frank.

How any Coastguard and Air Ambulance helicopters are there in the UK? There must be situations in which they are all occupied or too far away, when something like this jet pack would do what's necessary. Its early days for it, so I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Don't know about the rest of the UK but Wales has 3 air ambulance's and Two winch equipped Coastguard heli's.

The decision about what assets to send is usually with the emergency operator in touch by phone or radio with the first informant.

The issue with the jet pack I see is it still needs to travel by road to first get to the scene of the incident.

Coastguard are trialling UAV's along the lines of MattyB's post.

Edited By J D 8 on 30/09/2020 15:53:08

Thread: Synthesised transmitters and mobile phones
30/09/2020 13:51:13
Posted by Dickw on 30/09/2020 10:58:58:
Posted by J D 8 on 30/09/2020 08:56:05:

Pardon if I am missing something here but I thought it was just the RX's that are synthesized. I still use my Futaba FF7 35 band with synthesized RX's [ no crystal ] Is that something different ?

Some brands did both synthesized Rx and synthesized Tx. I could swap channels on 35MHz without changing any crystals with my Multiplex.

Dick

Thanks for the info. Cheers, John.

30/09/2020 08:56:05

Pardon if I am missing something here but I thought it was just the RX's that are synthesized. I still use my Futaba FF7 35 band with synthesized RX's [ no crystal ] Is that something different ?

Thread: Jet Pack Paramedic - Coming to a Hillside Near You!
29/09/2020 18:34:49

A helicopter with a paramedic on the end of a winch line would still get there first.

As a Coastguard working with the Welsh air ambulance helo's I was impressed at the unusual and small places the pilots would put down to get their paramedic to the casualty.

Edited By J D 8 on 29/09/2020 18:40:15

29/09/2020 15:10:41

It's one thing doing this on a nice quite day, another thing all together if it's the more usual wind and/or mizzle ect we get in those high places.

/

Thread: Enya SS40.....fuel
29/09/2020 09:26:40

I stopped using mainly castor based fuels years ago apart form some that have a small percent of castor in them.

All my engines run on the same fuel, from Enya 90 four strokes down to old OS max 15's [ plain bearing's ] and including an SS40 with no problems.sam_1477.jpg This old Cox thimble drome rescued from a box of junk was happy running on synthetic oil 5%nitro .

Thread: ARUP
28/09/2020 12:19:06

Pre war very low aspect ratio aircraft I think it had the nickname " the flying heel". Of similar layout the later Chance Vought " flying pancake."

Recently I came across a video of a modern home build of similar lay out in Aus I think but can not find it again.sad

Edited By J D 8 on 28/09/2020 12:19:29

Thread: Best interference free 2.4 tx under ?350?
26/09/2020 13:29:20

I still use 35mhz for several less used aircraft. Most have Corona synthesized rx's and work well.

Thread: Battle of Britain 80th Anniversary Model Squadron Video
26/09/2020 13:18:59

Tally-ho, Good show , What . laugh

Thread: Need to adapt this part
26/09/2020 13:03:46

One for some JB weld.

Thread: Ofcom trace interference to a lightbulb
25/09/2020 13:45:18

Sounds like the transmitter visit was fun Geoff. We had for many years in a rented part of a shed on the farm a Ship to Shore radio repeater. There was a distinct smell from the valve radio.

A friend who is a radio ham has a Spark generator radio, like the sort on the Titanic . He found it at the local dump in very good condition complete in its lovely wooden case's! Say's he would like to fire it up but dare not as he thinks it would drown out most signals for miles around. Cheers John.

25/09/2020 09:54:01

What sort of bulbs were they? If you hold a fluorescent tube under a high power cable it will glow.

Thread: Media scare tactics
25/09/2020 09:45:14

In 69/70 we had the "Hong Kong flu " We had it in the family and being Dairy farmers at the time one of us had to milk the cows. A nasty flu that did for a million or more worldwide.

Thread: Return of the SMA
24/09/2020 14:27:35

Fun Gus

Fun Gus.

My SMA type model built twenty four years ago. Fuselage is based on Peter Miller's Peanuts design. . Something of a bitsa with tail from Mercury Monarch C/L model and 42 inch wing from my second RC model of long ago.sam_1766.jpg

Has been powered by several OS 15.'s Built for rough field flying and cope with windy conditions. I made the wing seat area extra strong and the nose some what sacrificial [ It is on its third nose the rest having survived an impact with the trunk of a large tree that sent the LA 15's crank out the backplate.]

I wanted it to be as aerobatic as possible on 3ch and it will do multiple flick roll type manoeuvres [ Hairybatics I call them ] and end over end tumbles. Fun Gus is a bit more than 2lbs these days but still does its thing.

Thread: Hello from Norfolk
24/09/2020 08:22:01

And hello from West Wales, got some big cliffs here.smiley

Thread: Getting Hard To Buy Lipo's
23/09/2020 12:22:28

They also killed off many a good glow maker and then left the market.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
22/09/2020 12:29:45

As I have noted before all these types of sellers have 100% feedback.surprise not. I am.

Thread: JB Weld
22/09/2020 10:47:59

Another fan of JB WELD, and not just for model work. Had good results for fixies around the farm with it.

Thread: Future balsa supplies in UK
21/09/2020 09:13:56

Was it the same in WW2 when Mosquito production used up much balsa ?

An old modeller who had served on carriers said that when a Swordfish was wrecked on the deck all useful parts would removed before the remains were dumped overboard. As this was going on any crew who were modelers would be chopping out UC fairings that were large chunks of balsa.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!