By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J D 8

Here is a list of all the postings J D 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Malta
18/08/2018 21:16:55

Are you going/been to the church Mosta,and is that dirty great bomb still there?

Saw the Popeye village in 84 and amazed it is still there.

Thread: Adventures with a Limbo Dancer
18/08/2018 17:12:28

flightlineNice to know the Limbo Dancer is still available. My 1990's one is still a regular flyer [ Mainly because it will fit in the car along with larger stuff ] OS 46 with mini pipe power and carbon uc.

Edited By J D 8 on 18/08/2018 17:19:36

Thread: Diesel fuel - local
16/08/2018 22:02:35

I recon he should order 4 gallons.wink

Thread: How do I charge a 2S lipo through the balance lead?
14/08/2018 16:26:07

I have a balance lead charger that came with a Twister MEDIVAC helicopter.

Thread: Modern Equvalents for Kraft Servos
14/08/2018 14:19:46

Retro Radio is well in vogue today,with modelers resurrecting old radios having them converted to operate on the modern 2.4 system should you still want to keep your Kraft set going.

I still have my Futaba M series operational.

Thread: Bluebird 2018
13/08/2018 20:55:55

That is not so,the larger fin fitted for the 67 attempt came from a crashed Folland Gnat purchased by Cambell for its Orpheus engine which was more powerful than the original Beryl.

It still sends a shiver down my spine watching the film of Cambell's final run. I think it was broadcast live with Cambell himself commenting on a radio link. His final words were " I can't see anything----- I've got the bows out---I'm going--- A sobering moment for a twelve year old.

13/08/2018 11:48:36

I agree with Cuban8, displayed sympathetically a great tribute to Donald Cambell

At Pendine sands in west wales land speed record car " BABS " Is sometimes run in tribute to welsh inventor John Parry Thomas who was killed there in 1927 in an attempt to get the land speed record back from Donald's farther Sir Malcom Cambel.

Thread: Why not 'cut and glide'?
09/08/2018 23:20:40

And painful to,that darn engine blip button could deliver the pilot some nasty electric shocks!surprise

09/08/2018 20:07:50

In the early day's of flight with the Royal Flying Corps cut and glide was the accepted landing method due mainly to the possible unreliable pickup of the rotary engines.

Any pilot seen motoring in [ rumbling in it was then called ] would have to stand a round of drinks at the mess that night.

Thread: Isabella RCM&E plan
07/08/2018 13:37:48

Something of 1.5 cc should do it.

Thread: Landing when the field isnít flat
05/08/2018 17:18:29

As Martin says full size practice is to land up slope,the length of wings preclude landing across the slope but at model size it is not such a problem.The model does tend to turn down the hill after touchdown but have found this better than trying to land crosswind and up hill which is hard to judge.

I converted my old Hiboy trainer into a bush plane,alloy UC, push chair wheels,the nose wheel became the fixed tail wheel, larger wing from a Rojair trainer, Irvine 46 for power and a larger rudder to keep it on course during take off. Had it out of the attic the other day and had a good blast.

Thread: Sheep and black cars!
05/08/2018 16:53:03

A Billy goat got into our local Land Rover dealers compound just after delivery of a batch of new Range Rovers. There were a lot of rivals for Billy to sort out. Over a 100k of damage.crying

Thread: Landing when the field isnít flat
05/08/2018 10:41:12

I fly at home on the farm,the field I use has a steep slope and can be quite rough at times. Mostly I fly hand launch/ belly land types and landing I have found is best done into wind no matter what direction the slope is except if wind is up the slope.Then it is time to get the slope soarer out.

I do fly a couple of UC types there one being an old Limbo dancer fitted with a carbon UC on a strengthened belly plate.Being capable of slow flight I can plonk it down anywhere.

On You tube you can see full size types landing in mountains and see they fly parallel to the ground before touch down even if that is up a steep slope.Perhaps practice low passes up the slope before going for a landing. Hope this helps. John.

Thread: Any suggestions?..
04/08/2018 11:33:21

There does not seem to be as much choice in ARTF EDF scale aircraft as say ten years ago.At least not in 3s size planes.

Love flying my EF 16 but it is now getting rather tat.

Edited By J D 8 on 04/08/2018 11:47:23

Thread: Nickel plating pistons
04/08/2018 09:09:07

Yes Peter you are right , it was done for contra piston's.

I do recall doing the same on a plain piston that had no shoulders for the gudgeon pin.[ can not remember what motor] Problem then it was too tight for the motor to run so I bedded it in with an electric drill.

I was young and foolishblush and do not recommend this method.

John.

03/08/2018 15:56:59

To restore compression in a worn diesel we used to remove the piston and put a ball bearing inside,then on a hard surface with a punch give the ball a good firm tap.

This would expand the piston just enough to restore compression,at least for a while.

Thread: Irvine 20 ABC Diesel Engine - RC
03/08/2018 15:42:34

I have an Irvine 40 diesel. I was looking at it the other day thinking of putting it in my old Hiboy trainer just because. Have not run it since the 90's but one thing I remember is it would swing a much bigger prop than my Irvine 40 glow.

Thread: IC Motor Fitting
27/07/2018 10:37:29

Easy enough to adjust radial mount if needed with washers between mount and bulkhead.

As Kim says though if it was good before leave it alone.

Thread: motor problem
25/07/2018 20:20:50

There were no instructions with the replacement motor so took a guess setting timing to medium and it works fine.thumbs upsmiley Thanks again Denis.

25/07/2018 19:10:24

sam_1526.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues