By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for J D 8

Here is a list of all the postings J D 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need a new fuel pump (glow fuel)
15/06/2020 13:38:09

One thing I have noticed over time is that those with electric pumps spill more fuel than those with hand pumps.

Thread: Difficult transition from stick to switch
14/06/2020 19:00:55

How about doing some "sofa practice " Going through the flight in your minds eye while operating the switch's in the order required.

Thread: Need a new fuel pump (glow fuel)
13/06/2020 16:30:56

I use the hand pump from DB sport and scale.

Thread: DB Major Mannock
13/06/2020 13:25:14

Do not think Boddo did anything different to the many other kit makers of that time, just the way things were.

Thread: Diesel vs glow on a .5cc engine
12/06/2020 16:21:09

Pro for the glow, You already have one and know how to operate it.

Against, The noise, they make quite a racket. Swing a smallish prop.

Pro for diesel, Not so noisy, will swing a larger prop, will not need a large tank.

Against, If you have not used one before you will need to learn how, needs different fuel from your other models.

As for mess, much the same but high nitro glow fuel is harder on painted surface and needs good fuel proofing.

Thread: Things that have dropped off in flight
11/06/2020 18:59:42

Wheels are a favourite of mine, have lost several the years.

Motor from Ripmax Coyote when folding prop threw a blade, managed to fly it back down despite rearward c of g.

Thread: Design & Build Junkers F.13
10/06/2020 21:35:23

There is a full size flying replica of this interesting aircraft. It is though powered by a Pratt Whitney Wasp for operational needs and is fitted with a tail wheel. Based in Switzerland I think.

Thread: WW1 Scale Pushers
10/06/2020 09:09:32

That set up lends itself to leaving two sets of wing cell's assembled ready to slide onto the fixed centre section along with the tail frames being detachable.

A few years ago a replica DH 2 was being restored at our local airfield so I went for a look. Although powered by a radial engine [ a Green engine ] not a rotary. One just had to be impressed with the construction and the attention to detail of this flying replica along with the courage of those who went into battle in such machines.

Thread: Coyote build wing sheeting question
09/06/2020 19:00:18

Hi Paul, I have an original artf Ripmax Coyote and through the transparent covering you can see the join in the wood. John.

Thread: You Learn Something Everyday...
05/06/2020 12:09:18

1984 documentary of Sopwith's life available on you tube. Presented by famous aviator/presenter Ramond Baxter. [ Tomorrow's World ]

05/06/2020 11:53:16

I remember there was a great flypast over Tom Sopwith's house for his 100th birthday. Although his vision was very poor at this time his hearing was still fine for him to listen to the Sopwith/Hawker types over head.

Thread: Calmato Surprise
05/06/2020 08:08:41

Very nice. yes

Thread: Aeronca Sedan
03/06/2020 17:06:25

Hi Erfolg, A fellow club member had a thing about Auster's and Aeronca's Both Aeroncas a Champion and a Sedan were quite large models, one about 70" span the other 85ish. Both were good flyers. The smaller was retired a couple of years ago after much use due to a bad wing warp setting in. The other is still around.

Sedans came with or without flaps, they may have been an optional extra. Have a look at backcountrypilot.org for more info.

John.flight line

Champion next to my Major Mannock.

Thread: Drone delivery service, the shape of things to come?
31/05/2020 20:03:31

Long term I do not think the Southhampton uni project is a viable UK delivery system but the Solent delivery is great PR for them.

Where it could be very useful is transport of emergency supplies in more remote parts of the world.

Thread: SPACE X LAUNCH
31/05/2020 14:32:11

The first stage did land back on it's platform, unfortunately for some reason the platform camera cut out just before touchdown. It came back on line moments later to show the rocket on the platform still venting hot gasses .

31/05/2020 08:25:54

Seen the transmissions from the Dragon capsule in space and one can see they have quite a bit of room inside unlike the Apollo capsule.

Not long after the Apollo 10 capsule went on display in the science museum I went for a look see. As there was no one around I stepped over the rope devil and put my upper body in through the hatch. Amazed by how little room the three astronauts had to work, live and do the normal things humans have to do for over a week on the way to the moon and back.

30/05/2020 21:55:23

As Dave Bishop would say " went like a rat up a drain pipe. "

Thread: Control Line Cables
28/05/2020 10:01:24

SMC. Sussex Model Centre do control line stuff including a number of kits.

Thread: Boulton & Paul Defiant
26/05/2020 17:28:00

The Defiant II had its own problems, recounted in a book of WW2 poems/songs I read. This little ditty went.

" You will never get to heaven in a deffy 2

You aught to see the glycol spew. "

26/05/2020 15:04:29

I think one of the main problems with the Defiant was the pilot was not given any gun's to fire himself.

Was it an attempt to update the success of the Bristol fighter of WW1 ?

My Airfix Defiant was one of my favorite models when I were a lad.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!