By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Harrier Mate

Here is a list of all the postings Harrier Mate has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Air Day from 1971 - RAF Chivenor North Devon UK
05/02/2016 21:04:47

Mark,

There are several more photos of the 229 OCU formation on the net too if you want to view.

05/02/2016 20:49:12

The 229 OCU mass formation is made up of the hunters of 22OCU. Single seaters and the T7 trainers. They did numerous air displays as massed formation in the years before disbandment.

I spent the summer of 1980 at Brawdy when it had mixed force of Hunters (63 Sqn) (about to disband) and Hawks (79 and 234 Sqn). I was a student at Chivenor a few years after the Hawk replaced the Hunter (1983), served as an instructor on the Hawk at Brawdy (88 - 91)...... and 25 years later Im doing exactly the same on 208 Sqn at RAF Valley!!!

Thread: Flair Fokker DVII
05/02/2016 20:22:19

Very true Jeff!!smiley. You may have told me previously.... where did you get your lozenge fabric from. I know others have done a great job masking and hand painting the lozenges. Is there still ready printed tex available is your also hand crafted?

Thread: Air Day from 1971 - RAF Chivenor North Devon UK
05/02/2016 20:17:21

The 2 red jet are indeed Fouga Magisters. I think they were Belgian Air Force with Belgian tricola on the fin... just a the French Air Force did with Patrouille de France for many years. A single Fouga (privately owned in same Belgian colour scheme) toured the international display circuit for several years more recently. The high wing prop ac is the Army Air Corps de Havilland Beaver and the mass formation is from 229 OCU (rather than 229 Sqn) which after demise of Hunter and formation of No1 and No2 Tac Wpns Units at Chiv and Brawdy with Hawk TMk1a disbanded at Brawdy prior to later becoming the Tornado F2/F3 OCU at Coningsby.

Thread: Flair Fokker DVII
04/02/2016 22:20:53

And saw tooth leading edges..... I promise Im not copying!!!!

04/02/2016 22:17:35

Hi Jeff.

Perfect!!!! Did you shield yours with ply or balsa.... if you can remember? Also answers my thought... should I use 2 hinges or three.... Three it is! smiley

04/02/2016 21:40:38

img_3456.jpg

04/02/2016 21:40:02

I decided to cut the ribs for the ailerons first in order to build them separately. I intend to shield the hinge line with thin strip of ply (0.4mm or 0.8mm depending on what I can lay my hands on this weekend). I will use half round aileron leading edge with recessed robart hinge points. Other advantage of cutting aileron ribs cleanly first is that the trailing edge of the wing doesnt need scarf jointing at all. The supplied strip is long enough to do entire centre section as in photo below.

img_3457.jpg

02/02/2016 22:34:52

Hmmm! i dont see the advantage of building the wing as one piece then chopping out the aileron afterwards. Surely i can make a much neater job of cutting the trailing edge of the ribs vertical for the aileron post placement by cutting them BEFORE gluing down. Maybe i'm missing something but i don't see the advantage.

01/02/2016 22:47:41

As always... didn't get quite as much done this evening as hoped. I did manage to clear the building board of accumulated debris and cut out the scale leading edge sheeting for upper mainplane. Pin it all down and start on the ribs and wing spar tomorrow.

img_3453.jpgimg_3454.jpg

31/01/2016 10:47:15

This week's intent is to clear the building board of the detritus that has built up over the last few months and get started on the upper wing. Still undecided as to whether i should use the simple interplane strut joining method shown on the plan or a more scale (-ish) design. Guess the inspiration will come to me as the wing nears completion!

Does anyone know if 2.4GHz kit is susceptible to metal against metal rubbing interference. (Thinking of the interplane attachments again!). Always seemed to be a major fear in days gone by but I have little experience of the 2.4GHz equipment.

26/01/2016 22:53:04

Hi Bob,

Not getting much free time to concentrate on the Fokker at the moment so little bits... but now ready to start on upper wing. That should come together more quickly than lower, as I now know what i'm doing!smiley

26/01/2016 21:38:03

Width of leading edge box is snug fit between lower fuselage formers.

img_3434.jpg

26/01/2016 21:20:19

img_3432.jpg

26/01/2016 21:20:00

Hi guys... if anyone still out there watching slowest build of a Fokker DVII!!!!! Didnt like the centre leading edge mount support provided... just a triangular section of soft balsa, which was wrong shape and would have needed lots of filing to fit. So decided to make my own. Used kit provided vertical piece and braced it with ply offcuts from the rib template sheets (so perfect curvature). I had already added additional sub ribs beneath the centre section balsa (to give extra support to the hardwood undercarriage block beneath). So simply matched the positionof new fillets with those. Very light and strong. Covered with plate of 2mm ply (as in second picture), should stop the wing trying to part company with fuselage!!! img_3431.jpg

25/12/2015 22:56:18

Merry Christmas everyone! Festive wishes who all who are still watching my extremely slow build!

09/12/2015 21:14:41

Yep. I reckon this is the slowest build in the history of FLAIR kits. But coming along! Top leading edge sheeting added. Centre sheeting needs sanding, as does leading edge profile. Capping strips to be done and rear interplane fixings. Then i can start on upper wing.

Bob, Have you maidened yours yet???

img_3376.jpg

02/12/2015 22:58:30

Donald,

Thanks. I was wondering about that. It seems strong and of course it will now be epoxyed to the main rib as a 'sandwich'. So the metal plate will be bonded again. I felt that for extra reassurance, an 8BA bolt through the entire assembly would ensure that it physically cant detach.... unless it sheers the bolt!!!

01/12/2015 22:04:39

Loose fitted. Cant find my epoxy!!!!img_3347.jpg

01/12/2015 21:58:33

The pieces above, made from 3 mm ply and faced with 0.8mm ply (to allow the mild steel parts to lie flush with surface) fit against the extant ply ribs. just need to epoxy in place. Then upper leading edge sheeting can be applied. I had considered inserting 8BA through the rib and attachment where small hole already drilled in metal to ensure attachment cannot be pulled out by interplane strut. Thoughts? Is there much force pulling the attachment? Guess its only the weight of 2 tiny bolts!

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!