By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 7.4v Receiver pack/batteries/servos
21/08/2018 16:54:51

cant beat a good smirk. And its not just you, the whole argument confuses me, and as you say you an dig a much bigger hole with lead.

Anyway if you use mini servos, digital or otherwise, i suspect they will be quite happy on a 1200 4.8v pack. If you use spektrum then 6v is a better bet

21/08/2018 13:42:43
Posted by Flyer on 21/08/2018 11:09:44:
So would hoping this would be 'useful' weight rather than ballast. If that makes sense.

This always makes me smirk. Lead, or any type of ballast is useful weight. It keeps the thing in balance!

Perhaps dual purpose weight would be a better description

In any event, would a nimh be lighter? also which servos are you powering? I use 6v nimh to drive 10 digital jobs in a warbird, 3d would probably be different

Thread: Austerity BF109G
21/08/2018 11:08:49

Looks good to me, makes me want to engage it in 'combat'. I have a 5th scale La7 or P39 to choose from

Thread: 7.4v Receiver pack/batteries/servos
21/08/2018 11:06:15

The model you describe seems pretty simple to the casual observer and i cant see any advantage in going the lipo route. Is there a reason for ditching the 4.8v nimh?

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
20/08/2018 13:28:33
Posted by bert baker on 20/08/2018 09:40:16:

Is a 20-10 wood prop on a 180 glow in a quarter scale pup over doing it

yea, 20x6 would be better. Its what i have on the stampe

Thread: Finding records of WWII service men.
17/08/2018 21:51:56

Kew is dead easy for me to get too so that's another one on the list for sure

17/08/2018 08:53:48

Thanks Kevin, another option to try out

16/08/2018 23:15:48

Thanks guys

Mike, we tried that option but unfortunately there is no description of what he did. We know he got it, we just aren't sure why

John, thanks for the tip. I tried the site but they want to mug me 50 quid to view the records. Seems a bit much when they promised a free account!

16/08/2018 22:29:22

My brother has asked me to help him and his girlfriend track down details of her grandfathers service life.

We know he flew RAF B24's in the Burma campaign of WWII and know he earned either a DSO or DFC (perhaps both). We were trying to find out the circumstances of the awards and more about his service life in general.

If anyone has any ideas where we can find this sort of information we would be most appreciative. We will be talking to the RAF museum but if there are other avenues to explore then it would be interesting to know.

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
14/08/2018 21:41:35

Thanks for the update Ron.

The only part that really surprises me is the noise issue. I had not found the engine to be nosier but the note is different for sure. At high power there is a sharper crackle but at part throttle I find the note much softer. Clearly airframe and so on makes a difference here.

I tend to electric start my engines as, frankly, its just quicker. I do usually hand start the stampe as its set up perfectly now and its not an issue, but everything else I leccy start as they are usually buried in cowls anyway.

With the tuning side, it is more or less impossible to set the tuning 100% on the ground. Its really a case of flying it and seeing how it performs, then making a small adjustment. You can get it close on the ground, but its never going to be perfect. The main needle is very sensitive and I find that actually makes the engine easier to set up as its either right or wrong with little grey area to get lost in. That said, I have never tried the 4000rpm approach as i always tuned in the air so this could be an easier method for ground tuning. If others have the same trouble I will recommend they try it and see what happens. Its tidbits like this that are really helpful to me as I can revise the instructions.

I will also send you another regulator Ron as I have been experimenting further with the spring pressure. Give that one a try and let me know if its better/worse/indifferent. You can also use it as a no return valve in the feed line if you like but I have not found I have needed it on any of my test engines so far so I would use that as a last resort. I will try and get you a proper choke plate as well so you can give it a priming spin with the starter.

Thread: CameronWood654@gmail
14/08/2018 09:40:33

i was contacted about an expired ad on bmfa some time ago. i just ignored the email

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
14/08/2018 08:41:24
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 14/08/2018 06:44:20:

Jon, have you done any testing regarding the GA30 noise levels when turning the 17X8 wood prop? I just wondered if it was any noisier, or no different to, the Laser 180 glow?

I have not tested anything. There are too many variables for me to get any useful information on noise and we also lack the required equipment.

In flight though the 155 in my pulse and 180 in my stampe are certainly no louder than their glow counterparts. I would say that off throttle the petrols are quieter than the glow used to be, while flat out they have a little more crackle in the exhaust note but its still not loud. When flying as wings and wheels the engines were barely audible over background noise.

13/08/2018 19:15:11
Posted by Ron Gray on 13/08/2018 18:16:17:

Ah, didn’t think of that. Maybe I should get some Aspen first to see what, if any, difference it makes, mind you, I don’t mind the smell of petrol, actually quite like it!🤪

just use your normal choice of fuel. no need to get crazy

13/08/2018 18:03:59

Nice one Ron. One thing you might want to play with at some point is spark advance as its set for aspen and you may, or may not, find improvement. There is not much scope to move it but feel free to play through the range available and see if there is any sort of difference

Thread: Stolen airliner
13/08/2018 14:02:14

My intention wasnt to micro analyse and perhaps its gone a little too far. As i said in my first post i actually really feel for the guy. He clearly had problems and it really is tragic he was not able to find a better resolution.

Thread: 1:5 Spitfire Balsa Kit - Custom Control Horn Design: Length?
13/08/2018 11:23:20

Im sure it would be plenty. You certainly wont be using 20 degrees deflection so i cant see a problem with this.

Thread: Stolen airliner
13/08/2018 08:51:44
Posted by cymaz on 13/08/2018 07:32:36:

BBC News HERE

It’s unsettling to think an aircraft can be unattended, unlocked and the “keys left in the ignition”

Not really. Most aircraft dont have keys as such anyway and once airside everyone there is deemed to be safe as they have been security checked and all the rest of it. If this guy was ground maintenance then he needs free access to the aircraft to do the job.

Given the rarity of these incidents i think the media are hyping it up. They make it sound like you have parked your car on the high street with the doors open and keys in the ignition. Its really not like that.

Much of the reporting, as with most things aviation, has been rubbish. They quote him as asking for a job with alaska if he lands. if you listen to the recording, that was obviously laced with sarcasm.

Thread: Seagull Mosquito Laser build
12/08/2018 17:06:23

if you heat the fibreglass with a heat gun you might be able to soften the resin slightly and allow a flexibility. Once the resin cools it will go hard again.

Go easy with the heat to begin with until you find the spot at which is starts to go soft.

Thread: Enlarging plans - What % to englarge
12/08/2018 13:43:56

Id go bigger. 70-80 inch would be fine for 14cc.

look up the weight/dimensions of the old flair Bristol fighter. That always flew fine on 80 size 4 strokes.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
12/08/2018 13:42:21

Wise Owl I saw your other post on this subject on the other Laser thread. I didn't reply as, well to be honest its out of my hands. Once back from his holiday I will show your post to my boss and ask him to reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues