By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What size model?
16/01/2020 10:59:50

Posted by Andrew Calcutt on 15/01/2020 20:12:42:

I find a lot of guys who have large models rarely fly them,they just become hanger queens smaller models are more convenient,less of a disaster if you bin it

I hear this sort of thing alot and it always confuses me.

My 63 inch Hurricane needs 4 things to be connected and the wing bolted on. My 80 inch sea fury needs 4 things to be connected and the wing bolted on. Neither fit in the car with the wing on, and once assembled both can be picked up and moved by my weak and feeble arms. As a result i dont really see that the big'un any any less convenient. The same is true of my 1/4 stampe vs my dads old flair pup. Both have two wings, neither fit in the car rigged, and both have the same number of struts,wires and bolts to fiddle with.

As for crashing it..why would you crash? why is that a consideration? If you are building a model and expect to crash it then its probably a good time to look at the reasons why. Most crashes are either caused by pilot error or some sort of failure. To combat this, fly in a way that means you are insulated from small mistakes. Perhaps ask someone else for help improving your skills. To guard against failures perhaps do some preventative maintenance. How many of us really inspect our equipment as regularly as we should for loose connections, falling battery capacity or other simple mechanical problems which can bring down a model? And how many of us have bought a model 2nd hand that was 'ready to fly' the the equipment install looked like a blind chap did it with his feet?

While i admit that throwing hundreds or thousands of pounds into the air is a concern random failures are rare and the most common problems can be guarded against. If that still seems too risky its time to whip out the airfix kits

Thread: Upgrading Windows7 to Win10 for free
15/01/2020 23:12:14
Posted by fly-navy on 15/01/2020 21:38:21:

Thanks John, seems pretty reasonable price also.

no problem. the laptop im using now uses the n4000 cpu (2 cores vs 4 in the 4200) and it sails through most day to day work so the 4200 will only be faster still. You also have high speed usb3 on there if you need to transfer large files quickly.

Thread: Synthetic instead of caster oil?
15/01/2020 23:00:28
Posted by Jason Channing on 15/01/2020 21:14:47:

I always use synthetic but I use the klotz oils which is certainly more forgiving than ML70 which by todays standards is quite old technology and things have improved a long way over 35 years since ml70 was first produced. Would I use ml70 in aYS or other good engine ...NO

ML70 is fine. It got a great deal of hate in the early days but things have come a long way since then. The oil itself has improved and its the oil used in the laser 5 fuel we recommend for everything. I have run ML70 down as low as 5% in testing and we are looking to introduce a 7% ml70 fuel for laser engines as soon as we can get it all sorted.

All of my own engines, be they laser, enya, os etc all run on the laser 5 fuel and they are all very happy.

15/01/2020 20:42:39
Posted by John Wagg on 15/01/2020 20:33:07:

I have always used caster based fuels. Both 2 stroke and 4. Just ordered some Laser 5% which is synthetic. Now on full size engines it was considered not good to change oil types (mineral to synthetic). Is there any problems switching between lube' oils on my engines?

nope, use the Laser 5 and never touch castor again!

15/01/2020 20:38:01

The reason W10 seems slower than W7 is that it is constantly chatting with the hard drive. Goodness knows what it is those two talk about but my god do they go on. Anyway, if all this chat can consume more or less all of the hard drive's resources and so anything you want has to wait while the interrupt is pushed through.

as a result W10 is disproportionately slower than 7 on the same hardware when compared to an SSD.

Fly-navy....ouch. Those specs are pretty rough. I have a celeron n3060 powered laptop with w10 and it struggles. The N3060 is 10-20% faster than your processor but my machine is limited by only 2gb of RAM (not enough). My girlfriend has a laptop with the same N3060 but 4gb RAM and a real SSD. It works fine on W10 but its not fast, its just not annoyingly slow. SO i guess the answer is yes it will run but make sure you fit an SSD.

To be honest though, you might just do better with a new machine. This machine here **LINK** would run rings around your old one and would last a good long while. There are cheaper alternatives, but that looks like a really nice machine

15/01/2020 16:34:42
Posted by FlyinFlynn on 15/01/2020 15:18:08:

For those interested in obtaining the benefit of quicker data transfers might like to think about the data bus that they are connecting their SSD to. It is true you can just buy an SSD to SATA adapter, slot your new SSD in and away you go....but if you do that you will probably be missing out on the SSD's potential. If you use the SATA bus you should remember that the maximum data throughput for the ubiquitous SATA rev2 is 3Gbits per second , which is about 300MBytes per second.....about the same as the later hard disks. In order to achieve the higher rates you hear about you need to fit the SSD to a SATA rev3 socket, this has double the throughput of a SATA rev2. Older motherboards may not be SATA 3 compliant. For much greater speed increases, later motherboards have a SATA Express port which utilises the PCI bus as well as two SATA channels There are also SSD's that just fit straight onto the PCI data bus, either directly, via an adapter, or via a different form factor, like M.2 where 4GBytes a second are commonly achieved. That's a ten fold increase over the best HDD and SATA rev2..

In short....it can be a mine field so make sure you know what you want and understand the benefits you could expect.

No doubt there will be someone who will say "I fitted mine to a standard SATA socket and the speed increased no end"...to which I would reply " it shows how crappy your HDD was then"

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 15/01/2020 15:18:32

This was covered earlier in the thread and we have pretty decent path through those mines as, frankly, its not that complicated.

In any case, you wont get 300meg sustained reads/writes from a mechanical drive. I have two machines at home and have built 4 for the company here using SSD's on SATAII interfaces. Just turning the thing on shows the advantage the SSD brings in boot time and a quick check with crystal disk will clearly demonstrate the superiority of the SSD. SSD's are also leaps and bounds ahead in terms of random read/write performance which is what will make the system feel 'snappy' when you use it. As was discussed before, while some performance will be left on the table if using the older interface you will still be better off with an SSD for booting and a HDD for mass storage.

One thing i did forget to mention earlier to the SSD upgrade crowd, make sure you dont fill the drive up. SSD's need a certain amount of free space to do magical things internally for maintenance. Always leave yourself a good bit of space on the drive.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
14/01/2020 13:34:22
Posted by Martin Harris on 14/01/2020 13:19:23:

It's certainly a video to show to the electrofanatic ICphobics...

Dare I mention the practicality of on-board glows in such an installation?

Only in the interest of getting them started

Nigel, in other videos i have seen the chap starts each engine in turn and gives it a quick tune/power test. Once satisfied he turns it off and moves down the line. That way, when he comes to his display slot all of the engines are ready to go having been set earlier on.

14/01/2020 12:34:13

All of my flying this winter has been virtual. I play a combat flight sim online and do my best to wipe out the luftwaffe in a collection of Yaks, Laggs, P38,9 and 40, Tempest, Spitfire etc.

Its good fun but hard work. It also keeps my up until 2am most friday nights. I get carried away

14/01/2020 09:45:27
Posted by John Laird on 14/01/2020 09:14:02:

If installing a SSD in a standard PC bay, you need an installation kit as the SSD is smaller than the bay. SSD suppliers will have the necessary kit for a few £'s

On occasion i have been lazy and just slapped them in with double sided foam tape embarrassed

14/01/2020 08:52:11
Posted by SR 71 on 14/01/2020 06:50:23:

Thats the beauty of the hobby Don, the time spent filling and starting the six engines is all part of the excitement, not to mention running up the two EDF fans in the four jet engines

So im looking for small four stroke engines, if anyone has any ideas

Tony

Hah! that would be sweet.

One chap in europe has 12 engines (yes, 12) fitted to his big old flying boat. Its absolutely stunning

Anyway, if you want all 6 and to use the EDF's as well then i think you will be going in search of 30's. I used a mix of ASP, SC and Magnum in my hercules as they were all the same. Impossible to get them running together mind you. I just set each one so it was half decent and then got on with it.

Its that or build a bigger one for some 70's

Maurice, the exhaust can point anywhere you like

14/01/2020 08:35:31

to clone from a laptop you will need a usb drive caddy as they can usually only support one internal drive.

KC, the Dell 530 looks like its an old core 2 quad machine. Its pretty old and slow by the standards of today but an SSD will be compatible and will offer increased performance. The core 2's were supported by the G33 chipset which only supports SATAII so you dont get the full speed of your new SSD but it will be a significant improvement over a hard drive of that generation.

An alternative would be a whole system upgrade. You dont have to go new, 2nd hand but newer might be a good way to go.

Thread: Which engine ?
13/01/2020 20:04:03

aww its so cute! can you still get them? i thought saito dropped all their glow twins.

13/01/2020 18:33:11
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 13/01/2020 16:53:36:

KC just before you order, are you able to inspect the original drive?

If old enough it could be a PATA drive. That's a parallel connection rather than SATA which is serial.

PATA will have a wide connector with many wires that takes up most of the width of the drive. SATA will be a much narrower cable with only a few wires.

Good point. I was assuming the system was new enough. Its easy to tell though as you say. Big flat ribbon leads means its time for the bin!

13/01/2020 16:38:29
Posted by kc on 13/01/2020 16:12:22:

I think I will order a 120GB SSD to put in this desktop, but it's not clear what mounting parts and cables should be ordered too. Any ideas what cable is likely needed to put this in as an extra disk in a desktop?

All you need is a standard SATA cable (10 a penny on ebay or similar) and a SATA power connector which should already be spare inside the computer. If you whip the side panel off and have a rummage around to see what spare connectors are coming off the power supply.

13/01/2020 13:01:29

As long as you choose any standard 2.5' inch SSD then it will use the standard SATAIII Interface. This is backwards compatible with older motherboards with SATAII controllers so they will more or less work with anything.

The differnces between MX, BX, and all the other flavours from the various brands is usually down to the type of flash memory used in the drive, its cache, controller, sustained read/write performance and random read/write performance.

For general day to day computing none of it matters, just choose the cheapest.

13/01/2020 12:16:33

Drivers are a funny thing and i have to confess that i only update them if i have to as more often than not updates break more stuff than they fix!

13/01/2020 11:01:03
Posted by SR 71 on 13/01/2020 10:42:59:

I have just started a new build, a B36 Peacemaker 108" wingspan, i would like to power it with Laser engines, but i think 50s are the smallest, think it would be overkill with 6 of them ??

Tony

Our smallest is a 70 now (the 50 was discontinued in 1986 i think) and we have a customer in the netherlands using 4 of them to power a 158 inch B17 so 6 in a 108 inch B36 will be a bit much.

I also flew a 100'' Hercules on 4 ASP 30 4 strokes some time back and it was fine so if you wanted the full 6 engines then its likely you would need to go really small.

13/01/2020 08:56:07
Posted by Brian Cooper on 13/01/2020 01:13:48:

When Windows 10 first hit the streets, EVERYONE I knew had problems with it -- and they were very computer literate -- so I stayed with W7.

W7 runs as smoothly as a Swiss watch. No doubt I shall have to change to using a new protocol one day, but it will probably be W25 by then.

B.C.

Microsoft claim windows 10 is the last windows they will make. Its just going to be incremental upgrades from here on.

As for problems i find W10 pretty good now. The search function is useless, and unless you manually disable them in the privacy options it collects tons of data like everything does now. But its driver support is great and its tolerant of things windows 7 was not. I upgraded a friends machine recently as we took the W10 install off of his old hard drive, cloned it onto a new SSD and installed it in the new machine. Within 3 minutes W10 had detected all the new hardware, downloaded all the new drivers automatically, and reactivated itself on the new system. W7 would have pooped itself at that. W10 is also slightly better for updates as you can choose to just update to the latest version instead of having to download every update in order like in W7.

Thread: Which engine ?
13/01/2020 08:39:59
Posted by LHR Dave on 13/01/2020 07:08:13:

Dont own one but always fancied a saito. Will be looking around to see if I can get any good deals , no rush though as I still need to order the cub from db sport and scale.

Laser 70's are in stock if you dont find a good deal devil

12/01/2020 22:36:50
Posted by LHR Dave on 12/01/2020 19:40:32:

Thanks for all the replies guys, the general opinion seems to be no need to over power. I am now thinking in the region of a Saito 62fs. To me this seems a good compromise.

yep, if you have one already its a good choice. If not and you are shopping anything 60-70 would work well.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us