By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Carb tuning
23/07/2020 14:30:32
Posted by Martin Harris on 23/07/2020 12:04:13:

Sustained prop hang?

We're in danger of going over old ground again but when I tried Jon's level sustained power check as an experiment it didn't work - I got a deadstick on an otherwise reliable engine. Re-tuned with a nose up, it returned to its old reliable ways.

I would contend that Jon is correct with an ideal tank position but so many ARTFs and plan designs don't make it easy to achieve this. I believe that Jon goes to great trouble to modify his own aircraft to feed his engines with correctly located tanks - something that we would all do well to emulate but the nose up check allows consistent operation with models not so well prepared. For example, I've spent many hours pondering how to lower the fuel tank in the Tempest I'm building and concluded that it really isn't possible to get the tank below the normal tank bay, due to the proximity of the main spar preventing any tank I can find fitting in the gap between it and the carburettor air intakes on the inverted Laser 200v. The compromise is a very low profile tank but I know that this will result in a small fuel head in operation so it will lean out slightly during acceleration/climb and a nose up check will allow me to tune for reliability.

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/07/2020 12:20:26

you dont prop hang at full power

we are getting off track a bit but yea, your problem with the dead stick was likely the fuel tank position. Lower the tank and give it another go. The reason i take the time to make sure the fuel tank is in the right place is that it saves all the guess work when it comes to overall engine operation. It also saves fuel, makes the model cleaner and prolongs the life of the engine as you are not running rich for half your flight so the chance of rust in the crankcase due to accumulated fuel is lower. Seems like a fair reward for a little balsa bashing.

We should probably discuss the tempest elsewhere, but i am surprised to hear there is no room. Typhoons, yea they can be an issue, but the tempest has a half decent nose so it should be ok. If not, just cut new notches in the ribs, beef them up and move the main spar. Overlap it with the current spars by 2 rib bays either side and cut out a bay just large enough for a tank of the required size. you need 20oz tops for a 200 so no gallon buckets needed

23/07/2020 11:46:41
Posted by Nigel R on 23/07/2020 10:32:46:

Except for the bit where I was hanging on the prop for a few seconds before kicking over for a stall turn.

Wont be at full power for that part though

23/07/2020 10:30:01
Posted by Nigel R on 23/07/2020 10:09:25:

"not at all representative of in flight conditions"

I must agree to disagree on this point. When I flew a few days ago, a sustained full throttle vertical was a routine maneuver in all of my flights.

But you were moving forward at more than 20mph and that makes all the difference. You never sit there at full throttle while nose high and not moving. That is why i say its not representative of flight conditions.

23/07/2020 08:12:38

Richard im in agreement apart from the nose up test. Its just a complete waste of time, not at all representative of in flight conditions and only leads to engines running excessively rich. I dont know how or why this pointless exercise has endured over the years but there we are.

Beyond that, yep all sounds good although i always recommend checking the main needle at the start of every flying session. By that i mean 5 seconds to tweak it back/fwd to make sure its right and not half hour before every flight revving the thing and waving it around in the air.

22/07/2020 21:54:00

Yeaa MDS...stands for 'many dead sticks'.

Sadly their carbs were pants and its rare you can get one to actually work. A carb swap can really help and justengines might be able to help you with that.

As martin rightly suggests though, a run down of the prop, fuel, plug etc would really help eliminate potential issues.

Thread: Fixing lead inside engine cowl
22/07/2020 14:54:46

On my little Hurricane i made a horse shoe of lead that wrapped around the front of the engine. I then drilled the lead and hammered captive nuts into it. I could then support it on some steel plates screwed to the engine mount.

On my much bigger sea fury i have a laser V upright and installed a normal 40 size nylon engine mount under the engine. The lead then sits on the nylon mount with screws/nylocs to hold it all together.

Thread: Brian Taylor Hurricane Project
22/07/2020 12:53:11

The rona certainly has slowed me down. I did want the 120 back by now but its obviously not. It is the next engine that will return as soon as i have the parts.

Before that i need to replace all the other sizes that are out of stock. 3 weeks i have been waiting for the parts to come back from hardening so i can finish the 20 odd engines i have waiting

Thanks 2020 for being such a pain!

22/07/2020 10:51:12
Posted by Limobob on 21/07/2020 15:34:28:

the Laser 120 seems to fit the bill nicely but will probably never be available.

?? I dont remember saying that, who gave you that impression?

Anyway, the 120 works the best for power, fit and fuel tank placement. The 100 pokes out more and tank placement is more difficult, the 155 as it now is has the same problem and its just too powerful anyway given the target weight of 12-14lbs.

Thread: OS 48fs problem
21/07/2020 18:39:46

I would check the woodruff key has not escaped somewhere down the line as that is a sure way to throw a prop.

Beyond that i would not expect the 48 to give any trouble. My dad has one still and its never been any trouble to get going.

Thread: Brian Taylor Hurricane Project
20/07/2020 15:30:58

Im a big Hurricane fan. I am currently building a DB Hurricane which is my...4th hurricane? Something like that. To date i have only 1 spitfire to my name although there are 2 waiting in the wings.

If you wanted a laser i always recommend our 120 for the BT Hurricane as its fits in the cowl with a minimum of disruption to the scale lines. The 75/80 are just not man enough if built to a realistic weight. If you go for an alternative power plant then something of equivalent power would be recommended.

I know the purists will get very upset, but if its 12-14lbs and has a 120 in the nose it will be just fine.

Thread: Propeller safety
19/07/2020 10:23:54

Pusher hand launch models scare the pants off me. I always refuse to hand launch them if asked as they seem like an accident waiting to happen. The only time i will do it is if the model is launched with no power and then the motor cranked up just after launch.

As for all those questioning how close their launches are we need a high speed camera to check that. In the case of this recent incident, the chap had launched this model loads of times but this time he said it just slipped very slightly as the wind caught it and clearly that was enough to make the difference.

As for i/c i really have to try hard to stay on the ball as i start engines with such regularity at work that its so easy for it to become routine and concentration to be lost. Its for this reason i try to test run engines in batches of no more than about 5.

18/07/2020 23:36:29

The rear pusher incident was an mpx funjet. caught the back of his hand/finger as he let it go

18/07/2020 20:03:45

I am member of two clubs at the moment and both have suffered hand in prop incidents in the last few days.

One (which i saw) was an electric pusher prop catching someone out on a hand launch and putting some hefty slices in said hand. luckily nothing a few stitches wont sort out but enough bleeding to satisfy any hollywood movie.

The other involved a 60 2 stroke running at high power and while the NHS are doing their best i believe we are looking at lost digits.

It only takes one moment of distraction or slip of concentration for this to happen. I know we all know this already, but its always shocking when a propeller takes a chunk out of someone so its worth taking a pause to perhaps reflect on your own procedures, double check club first aid kits and procedures etc.

As i deal with engines and props every day i really have to try as it so easy to get sloppy.

Look after yourselves

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
16/07/2020 18:43:45
Posted by John Stainforth on 16/07/2020 18:15:52:

Jon, you could sell a sound module for the leccy guys to put in their planes!

I already do, they are called engines

16/07/2020 13:11:30

How did i miss the earlier posts..?

Very nice Ron, looks like a landing competition is in order!

Thread: Any PC whizz`s out there?
16/07/2020 08:05:38

If you disabled it before uninstalling it that might explain why it was hidden. In any case, if its working then leave well enough alone!

Thread: Laser Engines development.
15/07/2020 17:08:25
Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 15/07/2020 15:33:36:

Jon

happy to beta test either petrol or glow if you’re ok with sending down under. Wot 4XL and 1/4 scale Citabria pro both available as test beds.

ted

Im ok with sending it as long as you are ok with sending it back! In fairness its very unlikely, but in the event of major drama it might need to come home.

As for show and tell..not yet. I would, but there are reasons i cant so just give me a little while longer. All will become clear.

Thread: Any PC whizz`s out there?
15/07/2020 16:16:27

It should detect the network card after hitting the button or rebooting the system. Reboots are not as reliable which is why i click the search button.

If you have a photo of the device manager page showing the netword adaptors we might be able to spot something

15/07/2020 10:43:20

If i have wifi weirdness i always uninstall and reinstall the wifi card driver.

Go to control panel, hardware and sound, device manager. On windows 10 you can just search device manager, that should work with 8 as well.

Anyway once you get device manager find 'network adaptors' and search for your wifi card. Its likely be realtek, broadcom, perhaps intel? anyway it should be reasonably obvious which one is the wifi. Once you find it, right click and hit 'uninstall device' and click ok to any warnings. Then, look for the 'scan for hardware changes' button at the top and click that. It will find the wifi card and reinstall its driver from scratch. You then input your network password and its off to the races...usually.

dm (1).jpg

dm (2).jpg

Thread: Laser Engines development.
14/07/2020 19:58:20

Small update on proceedings.

Petrol crankshafts have gone to be hardened and will be back...sometime. In the meanwhile i will be getting the rest of the engine on the move pending their return and manufacture of a few other parts.

The first new 160 (25cc) multi was assembled and test run today. Very much an ugly duckling at the moment due to its prototype nature but it ran very well so i hope to tart it up a bit and build some more. It also bodes well for the 30cc version of the same engine. I will probably test fly it myself quite soon and see how we go.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!