By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Carb Problems
08/11/2018 10:43:01

if there is oil in the pressure pulse opening for the fuel pump this could upset it. It could have congealed and cause a blockage

Thread: Home made fuel
08/11/2018 10:41:54

You can also use ml70 as after run if you like. I use it when assembling new engines as its the same oil as in the fuel meaning there are no issues with compatibility or anything like that. Its also very gloopy (technical term there) so it sticks to everything.

As a side note i had a chat with MT yesterday and they say that Laser 5 is increasing in popularity with more and more people asking for it. The biggest increase is people at shows asking for it so i am told.

I am quite pleased to hear this, and am pleased to hear that those who have tried it on my recommendation are happy with its performance.

07/11/2018 14:27:49

Just to fact check myself i got myself an updated price list and laser 5 has gone up a bit to near £20. Its still nearly 9 quid cheaper than something like contest 10 though.

07/11/2018 11:45:47
Posted by nigel newby on 07/11/2018 11:25:05:

Certainly does Jon, Trouble is my local shop does not seem to stock it. I use Addlestone models. I do try to support my local shops when I can

Nigel N

they will be able to order it for you Nigel although you might have to buy 4 gallons. Given its advantages i am surprised MT themselves do not do more to promote it. Their techpower range is also really good and considerably superior to their older generation fuels.

07/11/2018 11:12:56

On the price of oil ML70 is around £13 a litre and klotz is nearly £20.

Working on 15% oil you need 682ml per gallon so your looking at nearly 9 quid a gallon just for the oil, plus methanol at the price in the OP and we are staring at £15 a gallon assuming no nitro. Clearly you could cheap out and use lard or something in place of the expensive oil, but long term i suspect that will work out more expensive!

Makes Laser 5 look good value at £16-17 a gallon.

Thread: Spektrum transmitter for a beginner
07/11/2018 09:07:23

If you wish to keep the cub as its own package then there is nothing to stop you looking at other brands of radio. If you already have a bunch of spektrum gear then clearly its not viable but if not and you are starting from scratch you might want to at least look at the other options just so you have the full picture.

If you do stick with spektrum follow the advice here to avoid fake rx's and make sure you always use at least 5v to prevent brownouts (radio, not trousers. Additional voltage will not help the latter) as spektrum rx's are sensitive to low voltage.

Thread: Home made fuel
06/11/2018 19:49:20

if you try it make sure you get good methanol as there is more than one flavour and some have a high water content. I suspect cheapy stuff will be not the best quality

I dont think i really need to comment on not trying to to set yourself alight do i?

Thread: SC46 6 months in soil
06/11/2018 11:23:48

Brian if you arent too worried about the 46 you could just plug the hole with JB weld. It would be a bodge up but it would make the engine go again assuming the carb can be rescued. The white corrosion is something i experienced with an SC36 that was in the garage a few years. Its a nice example of why they are cheap, i have never had any other brand of engine suffer to that extent. Clearly not the finest materials used in the castings.

As for the 2st vs 4st question its not a direct size X = size Y as the engines deliver their power in different ways but generally i would agree say that a 50-70 would replace a 46 depending on the use. In a trainer a 50 4 stroke is more than enough, in something like an acrowot then a 60 or perhaps a 70 is likely to do the job better. If you do start using more 4 strokes dont under prop them as they are far better on bigger props.

Thread: Silly question about 4 strokes
06/11/2018 08:30:06

AS the others have already said 4 stroke fuel is a myth so dont worry. I recommend laser 5 or techpower 5 from model technics. In general you should not need more than 5% nitro if the engine is set up correctly

Thread: Engine advice
05/11/2018 19:35:35

my 1/4 stampe is 82 inch and 16lbs. it will takeoff and fly at 1/3-1/2 throttle using a laser 180 so i think your's would be fine. Run a large diameter prop of fine pitch (20x6 of the ASP will take it) as this will give you thrust for verticals but without massive straight line speed.

Thread: SC46 6 months in soil
05/11/2018 09:58:05

After that amount of time the crankcase will be full of crud and i suspect the bearings will be finished. I would pressure wash the outside and then strip down the engine cleaning each part before reassembly and fitting new bearings.

If you attempt the dishwasher method be careful as some dishwasher chemicals are not very kind to aluminium.

Thread: Saito FA40 Performance Increase
04/11/2018 10:04:33
Posted by David Hayward. on 04/11/2018 07:49:36:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 03/11/2018 23:56:05:

how much power is it making now? and on what prop? often a prop change can make a huge difference in 'power'

Hi Jon, well the engine is standard and runs fine so I am assuming standard spec power output and I use APC 11x6 props.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I don't want to go with a larger engine as that would require too much surgery, just want to see if I can get more out of the current engine.

11x6 on a 40 4 stroke should be pretty good. which model is it fitted to and do you know top end rpm?

As for OS clangers the two that come to mind immediately are the 70 surpass ultimate and the 70fl. I owned an FL and it was dreadful. it just would not run right and got so flippin hot! A friend had a similar experience with the 70 ultimate and eventually abandoned the pump, put a standard os carb on it, and then it worked fine.

I think the roots supercharged 120 was trying to compete with YS? not exactly sure but either way i have never seen one run

03/11/2018 23:56:05

how much power is it making now? and on what prop? often a prop change can make a huge difference in 'power'

Thread: Selecting Servos for a New Model
03/11/2018 19:39:07
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/11/2018 18:42:46:

Hi again Sebby

Personally I usually prefer bearings in my servos. Regarding metal gears, it's perhaps slightly less clear cut. Metal geared servos are usually considered to be more robust, but there can be a downside. If the model has a petrol engine, then vibration can sometimes lead to premature wear on the brass gear trains. An alternative worthy of consideration may be the HiTec servos with Karbonite gears. These are proven to be quite robust as well as reasonably priced....

As per the previous post, get a good strong retract servo, used with it's own battery.

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/11/2018 18:47:35

cant fault any of this advice yes

03/11/2018 19:37:45

if you set them up sensibly and fly scale then standard 3.5kg jobs would work fine. I used 148 futaba servos on a 72'' 155 powered P40 and had no trouble at all running a 6v battery.

Personally, i would use standard servos as they are more than adequate. That said, if you want peace of mind by using 5kg servos as Percy suggested then go for it, just dont feel you have to and dont get suckered in by tales of 9kg digital etc.

Metal gear or digital is nice, but certainly not required for a model this size.

If you want a little more than standard give savox 351's a try. 4kg at 6v and more than adequate. I use a few of these on the rudder's of my 80'' 50cc class warbirds. Ailerons on these models get 6.5kg savox 352's.

Thread: 20 cc V-twin two stroke
02/11/2018 08:31:26

Really nice work on the crankcase Jeff.

As for the cylinders, given the relative simplicity turning new ones is probably the best bet. It would have been a shame to contaminate your shiny crankcase with filthy old cylinders anyway.

What surface finish are you going for? will it just be left in the natural ali?

Thread: Ever wondered why the engine won’t start?
01/11/2018 13:35:13

Yup, the holes are identical sizes so they do fit in both.

In the old days we used to ship the engines with the carbs removed but despite a diagram in the instructions showing correct placement we had loads of engines back with them in the wrong place so i just leave the carb on the engine now.

Thread: Which Set Should I buy
01/11/2018 12:38:38

Futaba or hitec would be my suggestion. I use futaba myself and have always found it totally reliable

Thread: What prop for a Saito 125a four stoke engine ?
31/10/2018 21:51:10

15x8 is a good size. if the model is flying well enough then i would leave well enough alone. i also doubt it would take a 16x8

Thread: Binding wire for solder joints
31/10/2018 20:44:44
Posted by Steve Dunne on 31/10/2018 20:32:53:

Had to think about that one, BTC...

i have to confess it has gone over my head. Perhaps its all the flux smoke

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us