By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Are all watts created equal?
14/02/2019 14:22:05

As Dick points out right at the beginning the biggest factor to impact model performance is the propeller.

No matter what powerplant you use and how suited it is to your application, if the big fan at the front cannot turn the output power of that device into some sort of useful thrust then all bets are off and the actual theoretical power output is completely irrelevant. Many many props are extremely good at turning power into noise. Unfortunately that noise is your engine/motor power disappearing into the sky and not actually moving you along.

It is for this reason that Laser dont quote HP figures as they are not an accurate representation of the power you feel when flying the model. you can also create fantasy power figures by revving the snot out of it but this is not really representative of real world use.

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
13/02/2019 16:27:01

Its got a new head (clearly) but beyond that its pretty standard. The 100 and 80 have different cams...i cant remember what i did with the 70, i will have to take it apart and look!

As for the Bf110..nah, i still have my eye on that seagull mossie....

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
13/02/2019 16:24:55

no, i had to print it and then take a photo. Bit of a faff

Thread: AcroWot XL Build
13/02/2019 14:14:08
Posted by Nigel R on 13/02/2019 13:27:33:

" In fact none of the surfaces do and i suspect its down to the slight stiffness in the newly fitted hinges."

What sort of hinges are supplied?

IME it's usually the polyprops that seem to need a fair bit of exercise before fitting.

Somewhere out there, someone must have made a hinge bending machine to get them loosened up...

They are pretend robart hinges and as there are 4 on elevator and 5 on each aileron the drag adds up. They arent super stiff, just enough to prevent the surface returning exactly to where it started,

Tim im surprised by your issue with the 3010's. I have used many of them and found them good. Is it possible your life battery cooked them on the volts? i think they are only rated to 6 and a fully charged life will be up near 7

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
13/02/2019 11:37:43
Posted by Nigel R on 13/02/2019 11:24:09:

Jon - takes a while to wind up! But that motor is a thing of beauty. The throttling is far better than I remember the on the PAWs.

I don't dislike diesel, although reading my post it does sound that way. They definitely smell!

Yea it needs to warm up before you can give it the big one. You can speed up the process with richer mix and more compression, but then you have to faff about resetting it again. I just let it warm up. Since this video i have made some mods to it and its easier to get it going now. I flew it for a short time in a model but the engine was too big for it and the tank position was all out of whack. I would like to build something like a DB Bistormer 72 for it and cruise around on something like a 15x5 prop. Sadly i dont have the space right now. I already have 10 airworthy models, 1 on the building bench, 3 waiting to be built (i have all the gear for them), about another 15 in 'stock' and at least 4 models on my wish list to buy! add to that about 50 engines sat spare in boxes. I think i need to see someone about my addiction. Do they offer radio modellers anonymous?

As for the diesel smell the combination of ether and paraffin is distinct to say the least. Add castor to that as well and it does pong stink up the place. There is not really much that can be done about it though.

13/02/2019 09:59:54
Posted by Nigel R on 13/02/2019 09:38:45

I've never seen a diesel that throttles as well as a glow.

Not quite as smooth as a glow but its pretty close

That said i do agree with your comment on the whole. Diesel engines have not been developed to the same degree as glow and the effect of engine temperature on the relative mixture, as clearly shown in the video above, makes them more difficult to set for use at all rpm's. I really have to coax the engine up to full power when its cold but once there its pretty good. I was a bit over compressed in this video, but i didnt want to mess with it as it flew fine at this setting. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 13/02/2019 10:03:16

13/02/2019 09:28:46

The elevator on mine does not centre brilliantly. In fact none of the surfaces do and i suspect its down to the slight stiffness in the newly fitted hinges. I will be giving them some exercise and keeping an eye on it with the engine running.

My ailerons are also both twisted which is annoying but should not cause too many problems. I dont plan on thrashing it to within an inch of its life anyway and just want a sport aerobat that will allow me to play with my fancy engine

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
12/02/2019 23:30:05

yup, im all booked up

12/02/2019 22:16:36

I have new exhausts now. MkII is satisfactory.

Pictures to follow as i only just got done and its time for dinner, shower, bed!

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
12/02/2019 14:32:12
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 12/02/2019 14:21:22:

Will try and post the results as long as you promise to service the engine free of cost

Ok! Ok! I will cover one way shippingsmiley

Im not quite sure i follow. Why am i giving away free services? dont know

12/02/2019 14:04:00
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 12/02/2019 13:48:03:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 12/02/2019 13:31:22:
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 12/02/2019 13:27:44:

As for oil, it's Klotz and since it is going to run on a scale Tiger Moth (cowled with scale intake and baffle) I would stick with 16% oil.

Why does the model influence the lubrication requirement of the engine?

For a tiger you can use 17x6 or 18x6

Because the engine rotates in the opposite direction wink 2

The engine does not care which way it rotates. Did you re time it to run backwards? if so that could be why its slow

12/02/2019 13:31:22
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 12/02/2019 13:27:44:

As for oil, it's Klotz and since it is going to run on a scale Tiger Moth (cowled with scale intake and baffle) I would stick with 16% oil.

Why does the model influence the lubrication requirement of the engine?

For a tiger you can use 17x6 or 18x6

12/02/2019 12:44:16

I would expect 8000-8500 on 16x8 props, depending on engine age/spec and the type of prop. Also if you have a decent oil you can come down to 10 or 12% oil with no bother.

12/02/2019 08:40:44

I was able to make my exhaust last night but im not very happy with it so i think a MkII will need to be sorted out during the week

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
12/02/2019 08:31:52

My bad. Standard M3 cap heads need a 2.5mm key but the button head rocker cover screws are 2mm.

And J 11 means it was built by me in 2011. We dont record months. 

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 12/02/2019 08:32:36

11/02/2019 13:33:46

They are metric. 2.5mm key should be the one

11/02/2019 12:57:22
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 11/02/2019 12:49:00:

Now that it is off, what size is the replacement screw please?

Was it a rocker cover screw? If so its M3x25

11/02/2019 12:55:09

yup, if i remember rightly the flat 4 uses 6 different bearing sizes. Again, why you do this OS?!

11/02/2019 11:35:39
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 11/02/2019 11:12:33:

Jon I'd be interested to hear more on how you sorted out that engine (perhaps in a new thread). I assume you restored the existing parts and didn't just buy and fit new replacements as that would be very costly?

In retrospect i should have done a thread on the rebuild as i went along as it was quite interesting but at the time i got started i was more annoyed with it than anything else!

The short version is new bearings, valve springs and piston rings. I also renewed the rounded off screws. This was a challenge as there are 10 different sizes of screw in this engine and some are right oddball sizes like M2.6x7 and M2.6x8...why? just why would you do this?

Anyway, i was able to very gently straighten the bent conrod (its bronze and i wasnt spending 90 quid on 2 new ones) using the press here at Laser and put it all back together after a long period of shot blasting the rusted components.

As my order of bits just arrived i hope i can get the exhaust sorted out this evening ready for test runs later in the week

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 11/02/2019 11:42:32

Thread: Acrowot build
11/02/2019 11:30:30

The AW kit has the provision to move the firewall to suit your engine. All you need to do is work out how long your engine is with its mount and go from there. If in doubt plonk the engine+mount on the plan and see how it all lines up.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Motion RC
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us