By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flair Pup De-commissioning now Re-commissioning
12/06/2018 16:19:19

a 90? its nearly double what i used in mine! I found they fly best on a 50-60 fs. I have flown one using our 70 and to be honest i found it well over powered and not as pleasant as the lower powered version.

Each to his own though

Thread: computer problems
12/06/2018 15:20:37

what is it you are trying to load Ernie?

Also which version of windows are you using?

Thread: ASP 61 fs Timing
12/06/2018 11:33:51

yes

Thread: Fokkerc 1/5 Spitfire XIV build
12/06/2018 10:25:02
Posted by Jon Laughton on 12/06/2018 09:48:32:

And a new laser four stroke would be the perfect engine for this model eh Jon? wink 2

There are some options indeed. If Nick is interested i will gladly advise him but in the interest of not treading on toes i need to be careful volunteering information like that as powerplants were not part of the question asked in the OP. Its not a problem, i just have to play fair with RCME as the forum is their platform.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 12/06/2018 10:26:09

12/06/2018 10:20:53
Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 12/06/2018 10:12:35:

I got my Seagull 80in ARTF Hurricane for my Laser 180 on Monday and will be looking forward to getting that done by the Autumn.

The autumn?! its June and the Luftwaffe are all over us! Dont just stand there get one up!

12/06/2018 09:46:48

Im interested in this model myself as it really looks the part and the last two spitfires of this size that i have flown were superb.

While i echo the comments of the other guys regarding its suitability for an inexperienced pilot i read your post as you were just getting started with the model, not the hobby? a clarification might be in order!

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
11/06/2018 10:43:05

No worries Glenn. In truth, you could probably run the engine another 5 years before it became a problem. I have seen liners much worse than that and the engines still ran fine.

Thread: Reproduction piston rings
11/06/2018 09:52:29

i have used 5 of these so far. 1 on an enya 53 and it worked ok but wasnt brilliant but certainly better than the original. I then got another 4 for an OS FF240 flat 4 and they were great.

Its likely my enya 53 is just really worn so probably not the fault of the ring

10/06/2018 22:47:44

is that not just oil crusted on? In the first photo you can still see honing marks, or is that where you cleaned it?

If its not oil then clearly its worn though and it needs a new fin barrel

Thread: Valve work
10/06/2018 22:45:05
Posted by trebor on 10/06/2018 08:09:08:

I must admit using the fine grinding paste was a bit too rough my favourite was the Autosul chrome cleaner. What do you use ?

I don't. I have a fine diamond lap and do each one by hand with some oil.

09/06/2018 23:48:37

yup, I do this with the laser valves

09/06/2018 20:44:43

If you have one of those micro blow torches you could hit the stud with a bit of heat to try and help get it out.

As for the move, its been looooong!

Thread: Valve work
09/06/2018 19:56:42

Ahh fair enough

If in doubt, rebuild the engine and rev the snot out of it. That will sort out any slight leaks in very short order

09/06/2018 16:25:09

if that is an asp then that silver ring on the valve is likely to be a groove worn in the cheese...sorry, metal and if so then its finished and you need a new valve. Its a common problem. I recently rebuilt 4 52's for a friend and they all had worn valves. I gave them a little tickle with some wet/dry paper but not all could be saved

09/06/2018 14:02:16

Hi Glenn

The pillar nut has a stud on the bottom which holds the rocker shaft in place. Remove the nut with a small ring spanner or socket and it should all come apart. If the pillar nut has come off the stud then you might have to get a little more brutal and grab the stud with whatever you can to get it out. Don't break it off though as you will be in the poopy then. Once out, if its not too mangled clean it up and glue it back into the nut with stud lock. If its ruined, chop the head off an M2 screw of the right length and glue that in instead.

Your rocker setup is correct. O rings outside, rockers, then ptfe in the middle. We changed the outer ones to O rings as the original ptfe pads did not prevent oil leaking out when the engine was inverted and the customers complained...and I cant say I blame them.

grab a photo of the liner. Its rare for the nikasil to come off (twice in 25 years rare) but the old chrome ones would wear through after about 20 years of use. In either case its finished and needs a new liner.

Thread: ASP 61 fs Timing
09/06/2018 13:55:01

the asp I had dealings with wouldn't idle, wouldn't rev and was deathly slow at acceleration. The exhaust note was also really quiet and there was more than usual spit from the carby. I advanced the cam a tooth (I think) and that sorted it out.

08/06/2018 21:12:35

cant say I disagree with you Joe.

I have seen the full size fly and it would fly insanely slow at high angle of attack. However, even when it was flying 'fast' it didn't fly level and always had its tail down a smidge. certainly it never flew with its nose down

07/06/2018 19:32:10

I have found that many model manufacturers set the cg too far forward. They then use very large rates to compensate. Most of my models fly with c/g much further back and with probably half the control surface deflection.

With regards to pitch speed, my Stampe biplane has a max PS of 38mph at full power but as I fly it at half throttle most of the time its probably closer to 30mph in real terms.

07/06/2018 12:59:40

its much easier to do with the front housing removed. You can then locate and hold the pinion at tdc with your finger.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
07/06/2018 08:57:57

As tempting as the Toby is something on site gets my vote as I can knock back some bevvies and not worry about driving.

for model changes, if its like for like then its not usually a problem. I am still trying to decide if I should sub my La7 for the Sea Fury. Just remember that your sub needs to be all weather as its still backup for the stampe slot in case of blustery wind.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues