By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sport planes - engine recommendations
26/05/2018 17:27:16

Hangar 9 pulse 125. Flown with Enya 155, Laser 150 and Laser 155. All were more than sufficient for more or less unlimited performance.

Great planes escapade 61, really nice with a laser 100.

Many moons ago I had the pulse 60 as well and that was fantastic on the small enya 120 that was a bored 90 case. Its performance is about on par with a modern 95-100

Thread: Warbirds - engine recommendations
26/05/2018 17:23:35

Cracking shot of the Corsair Brian!

Rocker, I would say any 60-65 inch 8-10lb warbird would be ideal. My 63'' hurricane is 9.5 lbs and overpowered for scale.

Cuban, was the 120 healthy? it should have been more than enough for the P47 so im surprised you had trouble.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
26/05/2018 17:19:18

I got my blurb too and im quite impressed. A good amount of variety in the program.

I also tested my engine again in the stampe and refitted the cowl. Everything seems in order and I hope I can get a test flight done between now and the show.

Thread: Warbirds - engine recommendations
26/05/2018 09:19:27

nice one Ron.

For those who didn't see the chat on the laser thread it basically started with 'I have X engine, which models can I buy?' and that is essentially the plan here.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
25/05/2018 20:20:51

The Tony N 72'' jobs always seem to end up weighing a ton. Not exactly sure why but im yet to hear of a customer getting one under 18lbs.

In any case this conversation seems to prove that a dedicated thread would work so I think we should create one. Shall I do the honours or does someone else fancy it?

25/05/2018 12:10:29

ESM are the company that supplied YT and its ESM that have closed down. YT are now doing the Toprc models which are stunning but larger and dearer. I priced up their mustang as it looks awesome and i was over 1500 quid for airframe and retracts alone. With the engine, radio etc its easily a £2500-£3000 model. Cant get it out of my mind though.

Given that we are off topic a bit here, i wonder if it would be worth creating some sort of warbird thread for discussing the various options available to a given powerplant. thoughts?

Thread: Hawker Hurricane MK1
25/05/2018 08:19:25

i have been keeping a sneaky eye on the Hurricane builds and i keep thinking i should get one. Im sure i could wedge my little OS40 4 stroke in the nose and i even have some micro retracts that would fit. I wonder if it would take the weight.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
24/05/2018 18:14:48

I need to do some more test running to make sure I fixed my fuel leaks. I don't fancy flying a fireball

24/05/2018 16:36:50

i best get on and repair my model then :\

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/05/2018 15:39:25

24/05/2018 15:29:06
Posted by Rocker on 24/05/2018 14:51:03:

Jon , Interested to hear that Seagull might bring out a 80 inch P47 .Will my Laser 180 fly the 80 inch P47 OK

Depends how porky it is. Under 18lbs you should be ok, over 18 its likely to want more. Personally i would be shooting for 20lbs and a 300v under the bonnet. I think they are targeting the 50cc bracket but time will tell as so far they have only teased one photo on their facebook page.

24/05/2018 13:41:44

John that is interesting as our 160v could sub for the OS 155 is someone was feeling so inclined. The 200 shares the same mount as the 160 so that too could share in the fun. I assume you have the up to date radial mounts for the 200v and not the old 4 pointed lugs on the crankcase?

Tim, the YT hurricane (ESM) is discontinued and rare as rocking horse poopy at this point. If you can find one grab it as they go well with our 180.

As a side note if anyone is interested in a large P47 seagull are working on an 80 inch jobby at the moment. They are also working on a large B25 as well which should be nice.

24/05/2018 11:27:26

Ron, she is more in to plants im afraid but does enjoy airshows so thats a win.

Scott, you forgot the mention the top draw standard cheek and sarcasm you received. I feel so under appreciated as i really tried to be as abusive as i could and it was clearly wasted

24/05/2018 08:54:40

Cheers Don. No wife as things stand but assuming i can convince the govt to let my American girlfriend stay there is a chance.

Alan, i think i depleted my current stockpile but i can check.

John, im surprised by that but fair enough! I wonder how many people use the radial mount on OS motors. its an extra as i recall?

23/05/2018 12:54:43
Posted by onetenor on 23/05/2018 12:47:13:

What page is the video on please ? I can't find it .

23/05/2018 12:15:18

I ran into a few issues flight testing the engine which was a bit annoying. The first was a tank problem and that has been resolved. the 2nd i think was down to an air leak caused by a loose carby. I will be testing it again asap to see if this was the case.

Incidentally P has been ruled out for the petrol engine designation as P usually points to pumped glow engines. Sorry chaps

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 23/05/2018 12:24:50

23/05/2018 10:21:57
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 23/05/2018 10:08:06:

Thank you for taking that as a constructive criticism. I have no intention to tell you or for that matter any one else how to run the shopsmile

I appreciate this, thanks.

By the way if anyone wants an engine now is the time. Single cylinder engines are in stock but im already out of 100's. Im also away on holiday from friday (i know, worst timing ever) so we will be closed again until June 11th.

23/05/2018 09:54:30
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 23/05/2018 03:03:54:
Jon
I do not agree to large part of what you have reasoned. To illustrate,
Just because the engine is not in stock does not mean it's no longer there. There are plenty of examples in use or being traded by modeller, who may have a need to look up some critical dimensions. Case in point being a post preceeding few posts where some one wanted to know dimensions and I had to look up Gordon's album as I was about to acquire a 200V.
The other example, You have been nice to people emailing them dimensions and other details. But you have been telling us how pressed for time you have been. Will it not save some of your time if the ordinarily asked information was available on website?.

The V engines are not out of stock, they are out of production until further notice. These are very different things.

In the case of the 200v i dont even have a dimension drawing for that as i have not had time to create one so in that case the page would not have helped you anyway.

While i understand that you are trying to offer constructive criticism you are not aware of all of the issues i am trying to balance. As such it is not really fair to tell me how to do my job.

John, are they? i have to say i hadnt noticed!

22/05/2018 21:46:25
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 22/05/2018 18:37:15:
I have to say this. The current setup on Laser website does not allow you to check back on dimensions or anything else for the multiple cylinder engines. Not very encouraging for a commercial enterprise.
I understand that engines are currently not in stock, that's ok. But why on Earth can't one see the engine specs? Why shut that section off?

Because my time is limited and telling people individually that an item is out of production is not especially efficient. As the availability notices detail we have been closed for the past 2 months while we moved our factory. Certain engines have been removed from production as i simply did not have the resources to continue working on the entire range. I had to scale things back to stand a chance of finishing anything. Given that the engines were out of production I did not see it a problem to remove the product pages as those products don't exist at that exact moment and so information promoting their sale was not really required. A number of people emailed me asking about availability/dimension drawings and after I explained the situation I emailed them dimensions and information directly where possible.

I also do not have the option to mark items as out of production on the website. The software our website is built on is not easy to use and I have far better things to do than faff with it for hours on end trying to beat it into submission. I came up with the most efficient solution I could given what I have to work with.

Trebor, since early last year we have had a new specification of piston ring which offers better performance. The issue is not so much the gap size (which we keep as small as we can) but with the tension in the ring. This is important as it keeps the ring held against the cylinder wall. Give me a call tomorrow if you need more information about it.

22/05/2018 17:50:19

Its 70, assembled by my own fair hand no less. Dont worry about the sealant as that is standard as we use it in place of a paper gasket.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues