By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon - Laser Engines

Here is a list of all the postings Jon - Laser Engines has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/05/2018 15:39:25

24/05/2018 15:29:06
Posted by Rocker on 24/05/2018 14:51:03:

Jon , Interested to hear that Seagull might bring out a 80 inch P47 .Will my Laser 180 fly the 80 inch P47 OK

Depends how porky it is. Under 18lbs you should be ok, over 18 its likely to want more. Personally i would be shooting for 20lbs and a 300v under the bonnet. I think they are targeting the 50cc bracket but time will tell as so far they have only teased one photo on their facebook page.

24/05/2018 13:41:44

John that is interesting as our 160v could sub for the OS 155 is someone was feeling so inclined. The 200 shares the same mount as the 160 so that too could share in the fun. I assume you have the up to date radial mounts for the 200v and not the old 4 pointed lugs on the crankcase?

Tim, the YT hurricane (ESM) is discontinued and rare as rocking horse poopy at this point. If you can find one grab it as they go well with our 180.

As a side note if anyone is interested in a large P47 seagull are working on an 80 inch jobby at the moment. They are also working on a large B25 as well which should be nice.

24/05/2018 11:27:26

Ron, she is more in to plants im afraid but does enjoy airshows so thats a win.

Scott, you forgot the mention the top draw standard cheek and sarcasm you received. I feel so under appreciated as i really tried to be as abusive as i could and it was clearly wasted

24/05/2018 08:54:40

Cheers Don. No wife as things stand but assuming i can convince the govt to let my American girlfriend stay there is a chance.

Alan, i think i depleted my current stockpile but i can check.

John, im surprised by that but fair enough! I wonder how many people use the radial mount on OS motors. its an extra as i recall?

23/05/2018 12:54:43
Posted by onetenor on 23/05/2018 12:47:13:

What page is the video on please ? I can't find it .

23/05/2018 12:15:18

I ran into a few issues flight testing the engine which was a bit annoying. The first was a tank problem and that has been resolved. the 2nd i think was down to an air leak caused by a loose carby. I will be testing it again asap to see if this was the case.

Incidentally P has been ruled out for the petrol engine designation as P usually points to pumped glow engines. Sorry chaps

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 23/05/2018 12:24:50

23/05/2018 10:21:57
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 23/05/2018 10:08:06:

Thank you for taking that as a constructive criticism. I have no intention to tell you or for that matter any one else how to run the shopsmile

I appreciate this, thanks.

By the way if anyone wants an engine now is the time. Single cylinder engines are in stock but im already out of 100's. Im also away on holiday from friday (i know, worst timing ever) so we will be closed again until June 11th.

23/05/2018 09:54:30
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 23/05/2018 03:03:54:
Jon
I do not agree to large part of what you have reasoned. To illustrate,
Just because the engine is not in stock does not mean it's no longer there. There are plenty of examples in use or being traded by modeller, who may have a need to look up some critical dimensions. Case in point being a post preceeding few posts where some one wanted to know dimensions and I had to look up Gordon's album as I was about to acquire a 200V.
The other example, You have been nice to people emailing them dimensions and other details. But you have been telling us how pressed for time you have been. Will it not save some of your time if the ordinarily asked information was available on website?.

The V engines are not out of stock, they are out of production until further notice. These are very different things.

In the case of the 200v i dont even have a dimension drawing for that as i have not had time to create one so in that case the page would not have helped you anyway.

While i understand that you are trying to offer constructive criticism you are not aware of all of the issues i am trying to balance. As such it is not really fair to tell me how to do my job.

John, are they? i have to say i hadnt noticed!

22/05/2018 21:46:25
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 22/05/2018 18:37:15:
I have to say this. The current setup on Laser website does not allow you to check back on dimensions or anything else for the multiple cylinder engines. Not very encouraging for a commercial enterprise.
I understand that engines are currently not in stock, that's ok. But why on Earth can't one see the engine specs? Why shut that section off?

Because my time is limited and telling people individually that an item is out of production is not especially efficient. As the availability notices detail we have been closed for the past 2 months while we moved our factory. Certain engines have been removed from production as i simply did not have the resources to continue working on the entire range. I had to scale things back to stand a chance of finishing anything. Given that the engines were out of production I did not see it a problem to remove the product pages as those products don't exist at that exact moment and so information promoting their sale was not really required. A number of people emailed me asking about availability/dimension drawings and after I explained the situation I emailed them dimensions and information directly where possible.

I also do not have the option to mark items as out of production on the website. The software our website is built on is not easy to use and I have far better things to do than faff with it for hours on end trying to beat it into submission. I came up with the most efficient solution I could given what I have to work with.

Trebor, since early last year we have had a new specification of piston ring which offers better performance. The issue is not so much the gap size (which we keep as small as we can) but with the tension in the ring. This is important as it keeps the ring held against the cylinder wall. Give me a call tomorrow if you need more information about it.

22/05/2018 17:50:19

Its 70, assembled by my own fair hand no less. Dont worry about the sealant as that is standard as we use it in place of a paper gasket.

Thread: Seagull DH-98 Mosquito engine choice
22/05/2018 11:15:24
Posted by Danny Fenton on 22/05/2018 10:15:13:

It flew nicely on around half to two thirds throttle, average current around 40 - 45A (for both motors) so around 400 Watts per side. Jon thats around half a horse per motor to cruise.

Cheers

Danny

Thats in line with a pair of Laser 70's turing 13x6 apc props at around 7800 rpm. Flat out there should be another 1000+ rpm in that combo so i would say about a 2/3 throttle setting will be similar with that setup.

Clearly we are ignoring all of the various efficiencies and have totally different props to hand but the numbers line up in theory. Im sure Chris will fill me in once his model is up and running. I also have 2 other customers waiting on matched pairs for the same model so clearly its proving a winner for seagull. As mentioned before, im seriously tempted myself.

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
21/05/2018 20:34:37

nice work Tim, when is the maiden?

Thread: 2 Stroke deadstick issues
21/05/2018 14:49:19

Yup. Take the head off and have a look inside as well just to check the internal condition

20/05/2018 10:21:41
Posted by Ian Moody on 20/05/2018 10:06:06:

I have been flying warbirds (twins and singles) for the last 35 years

ahh fair enough. didn't mean to tell you how to suck eggs.

I have not been able to fly one of these yet, I might see if I can wrestle the controls off the chap at my club when he finally gets his in the air

Thread: P51 forced landing Duxford 2017
20/05/2018 09:45:52

I agree with Matty as well. I flew gliders while at uni and cable breaks were a major focus. Not enough model pilots consider/plan for what they are going to do if it all goes pear shaped.

When teaching model flying to do generally teach the avoidance method so students never let the issue develop so far as you need a great deal of sorting out. However, I do also show them what happens and put them in a position for them to sort out.

Currently one of my students is flying with his ailerons disabled. This helps should they fail for some reason, and helps understand/use the rudder when they are working

19/05/2018 23:17:46
Posted by Martin Harris on 19/05/2018 21:02:30:
I would always prefer to land wheels up - even if only to minimise potential undercarriage damage

Absolutely. If I get an engine problem with anything that has retracts I keep them up until I know 100% that I can make the strip.

Watching the video last night I was shocked by the sink he got as he swung onto final. The whole situation deteriorated in a matter of seconds and there really was no margin for indecisive action.

19/05/2018 23:08:34
Posted by Ian Moody on 19/05/2018 20:21:18:

I believe the only way to fly this model is with minimal movement of elevator or its dead.

This is not uncommon behaviour with warbirds and its the reason many a spitfire has bitten the dust. Anything with a sharp taper is likely to suffer more than something like a P47 with a larger wing. I know both are semi elliptical but the P47 wing comes to less of a taper at the tip.

A mixture of model setup and a slight change in your flying will see you safe. I recommend the lowest rates you can get away with (as you already noted) and when doing something like a loop don't be afraid to power through it. Once on top just let off the elevator a touch and let gravity do the rest. You could also adjust the aileron linkages to move both ailerons up slightly. This will give a slight increase in the washout (if there is any) in the wing and may help hold off a tip stall. Don't go mad, even 1 or 2mm will help a bit.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 19/05/2018 23:09:36

Thread: P51 forced landing Duxford 2017
19/05/2018 10:09:44

There are also lessons in it for us as well. He knew he wasn't going to make the field so made other choices. He brought the gear up, kept the aircraft flying until the last moment and didn't slow it down. How many models have spun in from a dead stick that was drawn out in an attempt to make the field?

19/05/2018 03:09:06

Cockpit video and pilot interview. Its all just been published and makes for interesting viewing

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues