By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for eflightray

Here is a list of all the postings eflightray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What's the largest Model You've Been Able To Get Into Your Smallest Car?
17/02/2015 19:07:36

All my bigger models are designed and built to be disassembled easy for transporting.

Just a couple, 90" B-25 and 72" Spitfire, (car a 5 seat Ford C-Max) -

b25july12 (6).jpg

Thread: How worthwhile is aileron differential?
15/02/2015 19:03:12
Posted by Andrew Ray on 15/02/2015 18:57:25:
Posted by eflightray neath on 15/02/2015 18:46:16:

I would also add, the lack of differential aileron is probably the main reason for many of the, 'down wind turn, fall out the sky' problem.

Some flier reduce speed too much on the down wind landing leg, start the bank, and the adverse yaw drag slows the plane even more. Crunch.

Nothing to do with anything other than flying too slow. By the way the aeroplane doesn't know it's flying downwind as the only speed reference it has is airspeed. The ground is only important when the aeroplane is transitioning to or from flight.

So you disagree that adding aileron could slow a model, and that adverse yaw can cause additional drag ?

And yes, I do understand about wind and a models air/ground speed, I have been flying models long enough, (around 60 years), to have grasped that.

Thread: Maths and English
15/02/2015 18:56:53

English ?

Think yourselves lucky you don't live in this road, (thankfully neither do I).

road name.jpg

Thread: How worthwhile is aileron differential?
15/02/2015 18:46:16

I would also add, the lack of differential aileron is probably the main reason for many of the, 'down wind turn, fall out the sky' problem.

Some flier reduce speed too much on the down wind landing leg, start the bank, and the adverse yaw drag slows the plane even more. Crunch.

Also I have quite a few planes where I will hold a little aileron in a turn. I don't normally - 'apply left aileron and the plane starts to roll. When it is at the desired angle of bank, we neutralise the ailerons to stop it rolling further'

I dislike 'bank and yank' turns.

Thread: Pusher prop required
14/02/2015 19:31:43

Had to look up a Go Discover, an FPV pusher wing.

Did you originally use a folding prop ?, as I know from my experience with a folder at the rear a blade must not be allowed to fold 'past centre', i.e. one blade drop past the centre line, otherwise it can stay there instead of being thrown out by centrifugal force, and all hell breaks lose on throttle up.

I had to add a shaped washer under the nut to keep the blades in line when folded.

Thread: Brown paper primer
12/02/2015 18:17:13
Posted by FWAL on 12/02/2015 16:54:14:

I wouldn't crash if I were you. There's not a lot to read in the South Wales Evening Post smiley

Agreed, so I covered it in paint --

lanc (33).jpg

12/02/2015 14:55:41

I tried newspaper on my last model, thought it might give me something to read if I ever crashed it wink

lanc (14).jpg

Thread: Increasing Wing Span?
12/02/2015 14:50:00

I had a look at the Graduate, (your link), and a rough guess worked at at under 14oz/sq.ft., which means the model should be capable of reasonably slow flight.

Have you tried to fly it as slow as possible ?. The trick is to raise the nose slightly using elevator trim, (maybe 2 or 3 clicks), to create more drag, then use the throttle to control height, and the elevator to control speed.

Just watch you don't slow too much and stall the model, best to start finding how slow the model can fly a couple of mistakes high.

I would also assume the model can glide quite well. try slowing the glide with a little up elevator until it starts to look like it is near the stall, then open the throttle slowly to increase speed. All good practice to find just what the models capabilities are.

12/02/2015 13:39:05

I little late in a rely, but slow flight tends to come from low wing loading. So adding some wing area can be beneficial, as long as the wing area doesn't get too big for the tail area to cope with.

Does the model need full throttle to take-off ?, Or is there a reason for a short take-off ?.

I assume the model lands reasonably slow, and would only need a little more throttle to gently climb away. You only need enough throttle to reach flying speed and any drag from grass etc. Also wheel alignment can have an affect on how straight a model runs.

If you really do want a model capable of very slow flying it needs to lose weight. I don't know the Graduate so can't give any pointers. Adding more wing section will also add weight as well as area.

Probably the best advice I can give is if the model can't lose weight, consider building/buying a genuine lightweight, but don't forget about weather conditions, especially turbulence at your flying site, smooth winds just need more speed.

Thread: Help locating copper tubing
12/02/2015 09:48:42

Sounds like someone is either repairing an outside toilet, of building an IC powered plane wink

Thread: size limit
11/02/2015 19:29:24

Just stay on the Earth and it doesn't really matter what you call it, (Even those foreign metric thingies).

Regarding a flying site/model size, a lot can depend on what surrounds the site. If it's tall trees, you obviously need a smaller plane, if it's open or big enough you can fly bigger planes.

Also important is what you fly over, (or shouldn't fly over), once in the air. If there are houses on one side, you should stay clear of them. The list of what you should stay clear of could be quite long.

Most of model flying comes down to using common sense, just make sure you bought plenty wink

Edited By eflightray neath on 11/02/2015 19:30:02

Thread: I'm thinking of trying this "Depron" malarkey?
11/02/2015 19:16:57

Some pictures of wing builds, I still tend to build as though it's balsa --

Lancaster wings, 98" span.

lanc (12).jpg

Dauntless wings, 67" span.

sbd11.jpg

Spitfire wings, 72" span.

spitfire2.jpg

Sunderland center section of 90" three piece wing.

feb21e.jpg

11/02/2015 18:59:38

Monz, I would recommend you check the cyno join after quite a while. I tried something similar, but found the cyno continued to eat the Depron creating a cavity with just the edges joined.

I think the cyno just gets trapped in a small cavity without the moisture to cure it, so stays semi-active. Whether a 'kicker' would help ??

The Pound Shop cyno, (four pack) is great on balsa etc, and has the handy fine tube dispensers. Their clear epoxy, (two shringe type pack), is also useful on anything including foams. Also their UHU glue, (yellow box), is very similar to the old balsa cement, (melts foam though).

I still prefer UHU Por as the main building adhesive, but do use others.

Ray

Thread: Electric Ducted, err, two bladed fan, not micro.
08/02/2015 21:28:52

Darn it, the nurse has come to strap on the straight jacket again.

Another day, if I survive.

08/02/2015 21:23:41

Oh not another 'naked' plane viewer.

I made it up as I went along, you're darn lucky to get these pictures.

Edited By eflightray neath on 08/02/2015 21:24:04

08/02/2015 21:16:50

Some proof --

Edited By eflightray neath on 08/02/2015 21:19:19

08/02/2015 21:14:11

Now as much as I love micro models, and EDF model, (he says, lying through his teeth), I though I should show my not so micro, not so 'fanny' jet.

It started with,... pictures, as I don't know what to call it -

mig 145.jpg

Add some more bits -

mig 145b.jpg

and a bit more Depron -

mig 145d.jpg

it needed a bigger hole at the other end -

mig 145g.jpg

had to put a couple of motor mounts somewhere -

mig 145h.jpg

the little 'spaceship' looked good, so I stuck it on the front -

mig 145k.jpg

Had to add some wingy things to help it fly -

mug (11).jpg

Look a bit 'white' so a splash of paint helped -

mug (17).jpg

had to get the chainsaw out to get it in the car, Oh well -

mug (18).jpg

also paint the 'go faster' end, to look, ........ err, faster -

mug (28).jpg

now where did I put that transmitter ? -

mug (30).jpg

gee's, no wonder he's referred to as an old far*, (err, farther ?) -

mug (15).jpg

So it's 64" wide,74" tall, (the plane, not me).

A couple of 2212-06 things that turn the 2 blade 'fans', cut down very slightly 6 x 4's, (should have made the tubes slightly bigger, not 6", twit.

Flies on a 3s and and under 500 watty things.

What do you mean, 'proof' ?. Ok I'll find the cinecamera film and stick some frames on here.

wink

Thread: Paid tuition
08/02/2015 13:14:12

The RCM&E magazine generally has a few adverts in the Classified for model flight training, they wont be for free.

Depending how the training is done, I see no reason why someone should not charge a fee for good quality training, whether it's for a beginner, or some advanced training. The person can always say no.

How many fliers would really be willing to give up their free time, (flying time), to teach beginners ?. It's often not a 5 or 10 minute job, but quite a fair amount of time over a few days.

If someone wants to teach/train you for a fee, you can always say no, and try to find someone who will do it for free. I just hope they are all good teachers, a poor teacher who charges or is free, will soon lose clients.

Play golf ?, ask the golf pro for free lessons wink

Edited By eflightray neath on 08/02/2015 13:14:51

Thread: I'm thinking of trying this "Depron" malarkey?
07/02/2015 19:18:02

Whatever the material used, there needs to be that spark for wanting to build a model. The expansion of ready built models may have put a lot of potential builder off trying. The 'I could never build something that good, so I wont bother' syndrome.

But just the same as for balsa, there is a whole range of models and plans available, from the simple to the very complex. Start with the simple, or dive in the deep end, it just needs that spark and will to try.

If people have only ever flown ready made models, they are probably missing the greatest ear to ear grin imaginable, that one where a model you built yourself flies for the first time. Magic.

Edited By eflightray neath on 07/02/2015 19:18:56

06/02/2015 10:36:04

I posted a thread a while ago on my method of doing fuselages,

-- Some ideas for scratch building Depron fuselages.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us