By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for eflightray

Here is a list of all the postings eflightray has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Consolidated Catalina from an unknown plan.
11/03/2019 13:09:42

Here's a handy set of undercarriage animations, the last picture in post #7 shows a Cat's undercarriage - (just click on the picture to see it moving). -- Animate undercarriage

I though about adding retracts at one time, but finding some was the problem, the front double 'A' frame off a model car seems to be a very good starting point for the mains. The RC cars ones even have shocks and springs.

Good luck with the build.

Ray.

Thread: Scratch building a replacement Lancaster
10/03/2019 20:54:44

This could be a long term project.

After the demise of my previous Lanc last year, ( attack of the killer hedge ), the salvaged parts, everything except the body, wings, tail, kept staring at me, pleading me to make them a new home.

I started drawing up an A20 Boston/Havoc, then realised it looked too much like my B-25 but with only one fin, and uses only two of the motors. To use up those four motor it just had to be another Lanc. Well they do look ....... special.

So, another scratch build, and genuinely starting from scratch as there were no usable drawings of my original, but then that's the fun of making it up as I go along. Though I may later regret using the word 'fun'.

I don't do detailed build threads, just a few pictures occasionally, the rest of the 'design' is still in my head.

So here she is so far. And yes, it's electric and in mostly Depron foam.

Check the tail feathers will fit, Just held in place. (Photo rotated by system). -

lanc iib.jpg

Fuselage getting its skins. -

lanc iie.jpg

Wings will be plug-in. Wing box using carbon arrow shafts. -

lanc iij.jpg

A load of ribs hand cut, and these are just for the centre section. -

lanc iik.jpg

Mocked up to check fit of ribs and inner engine locations. -

lanc iim.jpg

Will be a slow build, so don't expect many updates.

She should be about 102" span, (last one way 98" span).

Ray, (as mad as ever, but in a nice way wink ).

Thread: Consolidated Catalina from an unknown plan.
07/03/2019 19:32:53

Good grief!, I payed a whole 7/6d for that plan.

Ray. wink

07/03/2019 14:45:52
Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 07/03/2019 13:39:29:

Hi Ray

Is your Sunderland the Tony Nijhuis design ? You have got me thinking

Regards Ray

It's a scratch built, loosely based on a plan I found on the web, but converted and built using Depron, 90" span, I built her 9 years ago. She flies off grass or water. Electric powered obviously.

Ray, (the other one).

sunderland w2 (2).jpg

07/03/2019 13:32:50

A long time ago in a world far far away, well it was probably the late 80's, I built a Catalina from a control line plan and converted it to RC and electric.

Anyone old enough to remember the Acoms electric model, I think it was a something like a Cub. I bought a couple of the spare motors, gearboxes, and props, (plastic shovels), and installed them in the Cat.

She flew fairly reasonable, even managed to get her off water once, eventually, after the second nicad battery pack. Found out the the nose of the floats needed a very positive angle, or they would want to play submarines.

Recently nostalgia kicked in and I bought the HK Catalina, (wish I hadn't). Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, And I remembered they are not particularly nice. Short coupled and very small tail area compared to the wing.

Now my Sunderland, that's a great flier.

Sorry, just reminiscing.

Ray, (a different one).

The tip floats are swung up for flying over grass.

catalina1.jpg

Edited By eflightray on 07/03/2019 13:34:07

Edited By eflightray on 07/03/2019 13:34:58

Thread: Digital incidence meter
20/02/2019 10:12:00

Digital ?, jewels ?, too technical for me wink

I made a crude, but functional, one from Depron, uses a swinging needle.

It's light enough to slide along a wing out to the tip without causing any distortion.

incidence1 (1).jpg

No, that's not one of my wings, just a cutting board for photo purposes.

Thread: left or right thrust ?
20/02/2019 10:02:03

If you intend flying off water, differential throttle comes in handy for better water steering.

I fly my Sunderland, (avatar) with counter rotating props, but only because I wasn't sure during the build how it would handle on water, it also gets flown off grass.

All my other multi-motor models use the same direction rotation.

I do have a HK Catalina, but rarely flown as I just don't like the way it flies.

Ray.

Thread: Are all watts created equal?
14/02/2019 19:27:03

For an IC engine there is a limited range of props, for a brushless motor, there is a much greater range of props by changing the voltage.

e.g. my Dauntless - 4020-08 - 520kv - this motor quotes 5s to 7s Lipo 13x8 to 14x8 props.

But I use a 17x8 and use a 3s, the plane flies fine, on 350 watts.

You never know what may work until you try.

Ray.

14/02/2019 14:57:09

Cheat, use what others have used for the same model, or same type of model and motor.

Different people like to fly their planes differently. Some like high speed, (high pitch speed), some like slower slogging power, (higher thrust from a slower but bigger diameter prop).

My Spit - 72" span - 4030 385kv - 6s Lipo - has flown with 14x7, 15x8, 16x10 APCe, I prefer the 15x8 for general flying.

Ray.

Addition: That's from 600 watts to 850 watts, not a lot of difference in how it flies, just the way it 'feels'./

Edited By eflightray on 14/02/2019 15:01:24

Thread: Depron wheel tyres and rubber tyres.
09/02/2019 19:16:04

It's always satisfying to make-your-own, nice job.

I have tried butt joining surgical rubber bungee cord to make a tyre, very difficult to get a near invisible join.

I have used a garden kneeling mat foam to cut very light tyres for commercial plastic hubs, they have lasted a long time.

Anyone looking for a 'hubcap', check out the bottom of a drinks can.

sbd21.jpg

At least the rest of the plane is Depron wink

Ray.

Thread: Film covering to repair "alumium" Mustang wing
07/02/2019 14:14:08

If you can't match a colour, why not completely change the colour scheme, plenty of 'different' Mustangs.

Don't know if the link will work, but it's a google images search on - P-51 color schemes -

**LINK**

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
07/02/2019 10:08:35

I was 'hooked' in the mid 50's, every decade was slightly different, usually with some improvements.

I do miss going to model shops, there used to be plenty, but the Infernalnet has made a difference and gives a greater choice.

Best decade ?, probably the previous one, the 2000's. This decade I find I have got older, (it no onger creeps up, but races up), the weather seems to have got worse, (I can even remember calm summers and flyable winters, when I was a lad wink .

Good job I still like building, that doesn't go away no matter what decade.

Ray.

Thread: Ideas for articles in RCM&E
29/01/2019 13:50:52
Posted by dave windymiller on 27/01/2019 19:20:33:

I for one enjoyed the article on Arduinos and the servo exerciser. For many years ive played with PIC chips and as such i ignored alternatives until this article.

I knocked up an arduino to play with servos, flashing LEDs and the like and was amazed how simple the user programming is with all the hard work tucked away in the background. Far simpler than PIC chips and hence less time programming and more balsa bashing.

Why the interest?

I have built a 60 powered mig 142 (1/12 scale) as a test bed for a bigger mig 144 (1/10 scale) but the problem with these canard jets is the rear u/c is so much further back from the models cg which makes take off difficult. As the U/C retracts forwards i plan to try and partially retract the rear electric retracts and then stop them so they are moved forward a couple of inches. This sounds like a job for an arduino circuit to cut and later restore the power to these retacts in flight? Then theres U/C door sequencing, something else to try?

If this works, the same will be tried on the 144 (twin VT80 turbines planned). I know of one in Germany that was destroyed on its maiden due to c/g and u/c positioning causing a violent ground loop on takeoff. I want to try and avoid this!

I look forward to the rest of the series on arduinos.

Dave Windy Miller

20181201_123749.jpg

Mig 144

Edited By dave windymiller on 27/01/2019 19:35:23

Mine is *****ic powered, (as someone seems to dislike the word cheeky )

EDP, P for prop, two internally.

mug (15).jpg

Perhaps an article explaining that electric power isn't the 'devil's work'.

Ray.

Thread: Hinging with Solatex
28/01/2019 20:28:17

A picture always helps me to explain things --

hingetape.jpg

Thread: Catastrophe!
25/01/2019 18:50:18

Catastrophe ?

Many moons ago, the group I flew with had a trophy for the best (most stupid) crash.

It was made from cardboard, and depicted a 'cat's-ass' trophy. wink

Much cherished if won. All clubs should have one.

Thread: Chisel Headed Scalples
25/01/2019 18:41:37

Do you have any cheapy tool shops, or sometime found in Poundland --

knife set.jpg

This was a pound from you-know-where, admittedly a while ago, but I have seen them in other places.

Edited By eflightray on 25/01/2019 18:42:16

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?
22/01/2019 19:54:34

I was a late starter, it was 1954 for my first free flight model, a Nomad glider, then rubber power, control line, and the exciting world of radio-sometimes-in-control single channel.

I wonder how many of today's schools would have an Arts and Crafts period where not only did we built model planes, but even went out and flew them in school time. 1956 or 57 --

school1.jpg

The old LNER railway embankment at the back was also my first introduction to slope soaring.

Ray.

Thread: Prop rotation
22/01/2019 13:58:26

Always check before release .....

Did the control surfaces waggle when the sticks move, check.

Did it make a right sort of noises, check.

Go for it ......

Anyone got some glue or tape ..... surprise

I think many of us have been there, and put up with the banter smiley

I managed 3 out of the 4 motors turning the right way, (B-17), just cleared the hedge before a, 'what the hecks wrong with this thing' landing.

Ray

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
19/01/2019 20:04:44

After that Hawthorn hedge jumped up and destroyed my Lancaster last year, I decided a replacement was required for all the salvaged parts.

So this is a 'work in progress', slow progress.

(Some of the pics rotated back to the original format).

lanc iib.jpg

lanc iie.jpg

lanc iif.jpg

It's not actually glued together yet, just pined for the pics. Another Depron with a little balsa build.

Still a lot of work. Wing will be around 102" span, haven't drawn it up yet.

Ray.

Thread: RCME June 1994.
16/01/2019 10:28:24

The 58" span Chilli Wind plans (RCM&E 1991 --

**LINK**

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!