By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Manuel

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Manuel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA kick backs/discounts for clubs
29/09/2020 18:07:46
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 28/09/2020 20:45:04:

A number of clubs were successful in getting the Sport England grants. Also any clubs that are registered for small business rates, even if getting full rate relief automatically received the £10k.

BMFA advising on the eligibility for a very useful grant at a time when membership numbers are down due to Covid. Another useful service provided by the BMFA, though I'm not sure that everyone is listening Andy.

I can confirm that if your club is registered for business rates, you are entitled to a £10k grant. Our club gets 100% business rates rebate thus effectively paying no rates but we still got it, though not automatically. We needed to apply for it via our local council's website. Literally a 10 minute job, filling an on-line form in and the council paid up within a couple of weeks. No questions asked.

Thread: Where have my Watts gone?
28/09/2020 16:29:44

Graham.

It sounds like you already know this but ....

Calibration usually involves powering up Tx and then Rx with throttle at max. Wait for first set of beeps then reduce throttle to minimum. It should beep to acknowledge this. Then power TX and RX down and power back up as normal.

HERE's a link to a generic ESC manual from Hobbyking Red Brick 70A files. Not easy to follow but confirms the process I've described above.

28/09/2020 16:00:10

You say that you have re-set the ESC. Do you mean calibrated it? If not, try calibrating it.

Thread: Petrol or Glow?
17/09/2020 18:59:14

post deleted.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 17/09/2020 19:04:41

17/09/2020 15:57:24

One factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is the ease of cleaning the model after use. Glow fuel leaves an oily sticky residue which can be quite difficult to completely remove. Petrol fuel leaves only soot, which can be easily removed using petrol on a rag - i.e. no need to carry special cleaning fluids.

17/09/2020 15:42:40
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 17/09/2020 14:18:16:
Posted by Brian Cooper on 17/09/2020 11:55:45:

Yup, another vote for Pro-Synth here. . I changed to this fuel over 20 years ago, and haven't looked back.

Engines run faster, cooler and sweeter on this fuel, and they also remain clean inside and out. . It is by far the BEST glow fuel available, regardless of what some detractors might say.

By detractors i guess you mean me as i wouldnt recommend this fuel to my worst enemy and will not warranty any of my engines on it. I know its see as a marmite issue, but if it wasnt a problem then i wouldnt be avoiding it would i?

As a curiosity, beyond anecdotes i am curious regarding your qualifications to grant the award of best fuel

On the OP, as has been stated both have advantages and disadvantages but the one everyone loves to talk about is cost. 'oh the fuel is so cheap' they all cry.

True, petrol is cheaper than methanol, but does it really matter? I drive 70 miles round trip to my flying field. While i am there i order a pizza for lunch, and then consider flying a bit. On the BH weekend i flew 5 flights with my 50cc glow powered P39, 2 with my laser 80 powered hurricane and 2 with my saito 45 powered Niuport 17. That little lot cost me about 2/3 of a gallon of glow fuel so call it 12 quid for the fuel? Certainly the cost of the glow fuel was less than the cost of travel and lunch.

Petrol engines have their place for sure, but forget the cost argument as like for like a petrol engine will be more expensive to buy and (depending on how often you fly) could take a decade to break even vs a glow.

Ignore the reliability claims too. John Stone's point is absolutely correct.

Hi Jon.

I've only recently heard of Pro-Synth fuel from a couple of very satisfied users at our field. I was considering buying some the next time I need fuel. Your comments have got me questioning it's suitability though. I run exclusively Saito 4 stroke glow engines - an 82 and a 150. Other engines are all petrol.

Could you please clarify what exactly is the problem with Pro-Synth fuel that makes it so bad that it invalidates Laser Engine warranties? Is it a problem with something specific to Laser engines or is it bad for all engines?

Thread: New limit on groups in England from Monday?
12/09/2020 17:51:42

Spot on Keith.

Common sense is all that's needed. Learning how to identify the irresponsible ones and giving them an extra wide berth will make all the difference.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
05/09/2020 13:04:31

An Obituary printed in the London Times.......Brilliant!!

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.

No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,
-by his parents, Truth and Trust,
-by his wife, Discretion,
-by his daughter, Responsibility,
-and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 5 stepchildren;
- I Know My Rights
- I Want It Now
- Someone Else Is To Blame
- I'm A Victim
- Pay me for Doing Nothing

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Thread: In search of a LARGE canopy
02/09/2020 15:16:09

I'd be interested in a closer look at the undercarriage Stu.

Thread: What exactly does expo percent mean?
01/09/2020 23:47:23

Enjoyed getting the old brain cells working again.

I'm done now.

01/09/2020 23:39:55

Just for completeness, here's what the OpenTX (red) and Futaba (green) formulae look like when plotted in an excel spreadsheet. Note that x^3 and x^4 are just labels for the two curves and not the full formulae, which are y=e*x^3+(1-e)*x and y=e*x^4+(1-e)*x respectively. In summary, the Futaba gives a slightly wider soft area in the central portion of the stick, with a more severe climb towards maximum limit than the OpenTX system (and JR despite the incorrect formula would be my guess).

20% expo

20.jpg

40% expo

40.jpg

60% expo

60.jpg

80% expo

80.jpg

100% expo

100.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 01/09/2020 23:58:38

01/09/2020 22:28:58
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 01/09/2020 21:08:39:

Does this help?

This is a few years old, but may still be relevant...

It helps to complete the picture. My earlier post gave the formula for OpenTX (fact) and Futaba (assumed). This link gives a formula for JR (assumed) as:

Y = (Exp/10)E-05X^3 + (1 - Exp/100)X

where,

Exp = expo expressed as a percentage

E = exponential constant - 2.718

This can be converted to the same format as OpenTX and Futaba as follows:

our expo "e" is a "per unit" value, rather than per cent = Exp/100, therefore,

Y = (e*10) * (2.718-0.5) * x^3 + (1-e) * x

Y = 22.18e * x^3 + (1-e) * x

The second part of the formula [(1-e) * x] is identical to the other two formulae. It is predominately this first part of the formula which describes the curve around the centre point, so the earlier discussion about the relationship between the expo value and the slope around the centre point still apply. The first part of the equation [22.18e*x^3] describes the curve as it progresses from the initial slope towards the maximum value. JR and OpenTX are cubic (x^3) polynomial whereas Futaba is quartic (x^4) polynomial. This difference will have minimal effect on the feel of the sticks.

To all intents and purposes, we can assume that the expo value of all three brands have the same meaning (ignoring the +ve / -ve value difference).

Edit - actually, looking at the JR formula from the link it doesn't look right! The value of the first part should never exceed unity, but it does. Not convinced that BEB's formula is correct.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 01/09/2020 22:58:27

01/09/2020 13:19:37

The way I understand it from the formulae above, if you extend the line of the curve from around the centre point as shown in RED below, the value of expo is the amount that the throw is reduced from the maximum value of Y. In this case the expo is about 80%. I've learnt something today and it all makes sense now.

expo.jpg

01/09/2020 12:34:01

If it's an actual formula you are looking for, the following info from a google search might be of interest:

With 20% of exponential, the resulting curve will have 80% of the slope at the center of control, i.e., it would now feel like 80% of throw when the stick is near the center. As the stick moves to the edge, the slop deepens, and you still get the full throw.

In a dual- rate setting, if your low rate is at 60% throw linear, and your high rate is at 80% throw with 25% expo, since 80% x (1 - 25%) = 60%, the stick will feel the same around the center in both high rate and low rate.

By the way, the curve is not really exponential. With OpenTX, since it is open source, we know the formula to be

y = e * x^3 + (1-e) * x
(e being the exponential rate)

While Spektrum's formula is not public, I suspect it to be
y = e * x^4 + (1-e) * x, for x >= 0
Flip the sign for x < 0.

Note in both cases, the slope at x=0 is (1-e).

Edited By Gary Manuel on 01/09/2020 12:45:06

Thread: DVLA scam
30/08/2020 12:16:35

If in doubt about a caller / emailer, take them through security as they would if you rang them. Ask them a few questions about yourself. If they don't even know your name and address, they have no business calling you.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/08/2020 12:17:08

Thread: Refridgeration expert needed
26/08/2020 12:52:12
Posted by Cuban8 on 26/08/2020 12:14:54:
Posted by Eric Robson on 25/08/2020 23:10:29:
Posted by cymaz on 25/08/2020 22:14:50:

As a side note...talking of old appliances

I had a large and heavy hair dryer made of Bakelite, now recently thrown out

Some of those Bakelite appliances now bring silly money, should have put it on E. bay marked vintage!

My need for a hairdryer went many years ago ,

Talking of old appliances, a couple of years ago we were visiting a small technology museum in Cambridge that had a display of old electrical equipment. In a case full of old calculators was a Casio FX81 Scientific - the same model that I'd paid a load for in 1980 when I was at college and still have and use regularly forty years later. Is this a record?

No a record is a flat disc made out of vinyl. Also from the 80's and still going strong today.

Thread: Your Hacked charger PSU's.
22/08/2020 14:04:58
Posted by Dickw on 22/08/2020 12:28:16:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 22/08/2020 12:17:55:
Posted by conrad taggart on 22/08/2020 12:01:03:

Is anyone using a 24 volt PSU supply with say 30-50 amps or do they tend to all be 12v or 24vs but with lower amps ? if so do you know where I could source one from ? All my chargers are capable of taking 30 volts plus so 12 volts isn't really going to make the best of them.

Edited By conrad taggart on 22/08/2020 12:05:30

Edited By conrad taggart on 22/08/2020 12:06:04

Conrad.

Just use two 12v supplies with the outputs in series to give 24v (i.e red of one supply connected to black of the other).

Edited By Gary Manuel on 22/08/2020 12:18:31

If the "blacks" (negative) are connected to ground, as they probably are, that will short out one of the PSUs.

You usually need to modify one unit to connect them in series.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 22/08/2020 12:29:37

Never thought of that. My mistake. Definitely don't do this unless you know what you are doing!

22/08/2020 12:17:55
Posted by conrad taggart on 22/08/2020 12:01:03:

Is anyone using a 24 volt PSU supply with say 30-50 amps or do they tend to all be 12v or 24vs but with lower amps ? if so do you know where I could source one from ? All my chargers are capable of taking 30 volts plus so 12 volts isn't really going to make the best of them.

Edited By conrad taggart on 22/08/2020 12:05:30

Edited By conrad taggart on 22/08/2020 12:06:04

Conrad.

Just use two 12v supplies with the outputs in series to give 24v (i.e red of one supply connected to black of the other).

Edited By Gary Manuel on 22/08/2020 12:18:31

Thread: Covid 19 sports club grants.
13/08/2020 11:08:31

The way I see it is that most clubs will see a dramatic fall-off in the number of members due to the virus this year and perhaps in future years too. Our numbers certainly appear to be down this year. The grass still needs cutting. The rent still needs paying. A little help from the council won't go amiss. £10,000 does appear to be a large amount of money, but I assume that the £10,000 minimum grant is to save on bureaucracy of smaller claims.

The government have recently introduced model registration and other flying restrictions which have had a negative affect on membership and a cost to modellers. Electronic model tracking is a future likelihood. Maybe the grant will allow annual membership fees to be held lower than they would otherwise be and perhaps help keep clubs viable.

Leisure pastimes are important in these troubles times. The Government recognise this fact and are therefore trying to help to keep them going. I don't think anyone should feel guilty in claiming a council grant if it helps to keep a local leisure facility operating.

12/08/2020 16:41:08
Posted by Flyer on 12/08/2020 16:26:57:

In Wales the applications for the business rates relief grant closed on the 30th June. It was administered by the local authority, and to be eligible, you had to be in receipt of business rates relief. You also had to state on the application that the club had been 'adversely affected' by the pandemic.

indecision

Does not being able to fly count as "adversely affected"? devil

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!