By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Manuel

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Manuel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ETRONIX DUAL POWER SWITCH
18/10/2019 21:51:00

Not used them exact ones but used similar AGMhobbies ones which look very similar.

Not had any problems but if you have doubts about wires vibrating loose, try using a hot glue gun and squirting a blob of glue onto the wires / switch to hold everything in place. I tend to do this in similar situations.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
17/10/2019 22:07:00

Brian - you are still typing within the previous persons quote. It makes your posts awfully difficult to read. Again, no offence intended.

17/10/2019 19:55:51
Posted by john stones 1 on 17/10/2019 19:43:18:

Being on a committee has always given me cause to fret a bit, some of the stuff I see grown men do could reduce you to a gibbering wreck.

Don't see this a insurmountable or much different myself, the talking about it is always worse.

But that's just my opinion, may be that we all quit taking responsibilities on, let clubs fold, and be "Free spirits" Long live the revolution comrades.

I agree John. Club hasn't made a final decision (as you know) on it's approach to registration yet - quite rightly as it's waiting for final word from BMFA.

17/10/2019 19:33:55

I agree Brian.

I'm currently a committee member at our club. Whether I remain as a committee member after our AGM next month will depend on the approach our club decides to take.

Brian - just a tip about posting with a "quote".

Make sure that you move your cursor onto the next blank line below the vertical lines at the left hand side of the screen. This way, the text you type will appear on a blank line rather than being added to the end of the previous quote. No offence intended.

17/10/2019 17:48:05
Posted by Brian Stevenson 1 on 17/10/2019 17:38:37:
Posted by MattyB on 17/10/2019 17:13:32:
Posted by GONZO on 17/10/2019 16:55:31:

So why start all this and do the check in the first place. Just do as the BMFA suggest and make it a PERSONAL responsibility, KISS.

As far as I am aware the BMFA have not released their recommendation as to how clubs should proceed based on Legal advice and consultation with the insurers. This is the last piece of news I could find from the BMFA on their approach to validation of registration - see the final sentence highlighted in bold...

"The situation can be summarised as follows:

1. At the present time, the UK Associations will have no direct involvement in the registration of their individual members into the DRES as operators or confirmation of their competency as remote pilots.
  2. Compliance with the requirements of the DRES will therefore be entirely a matter for individual members to decide upon.
  3. Whilst the UK Associations would obviously encourage members to participate in the DRES, we will have no direct involvement with it and cannot monitor or enforce compliance (coupled with the fact that only those members flying aircraft weighing more than 250g outdoors are required to register). Compliance will therefore be advisory rather than a condition of membership.
  4. However, it is important to note that the insurance cover provided to members covers ‘lawful and recognised activities’ and as such cover could only be assured for those operating lawfully (which includes participation in the DRES where required from the 30th November) which members should consider when deciding how to proceed. We are still working with insurers to clarify the final position in terms of members and clubs."

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong though.

Interesting. Point 4 is the only one that really matters and it definitely needs a clarification. In most insurance policies (including my household and car ones), compliance with the law is NOT a requirement. Though non compliance is likely to greatly increase the price at renewal if an 'incident' occurs.

It's always a problem with group insurance such as the BMFA has. The insurance company has no way to tell how many of the potential beneficiaries are 'good' and 'evil' or in the case of group medical insurance, fit and unfit (= pre existing conditions) so it is difficult to set the group premium. .

Point 2 is also very relevant to what's been said here in terms of club responsibility for ensuring that their members are registered.

Point 2 clearly says that it's up to individual members (NOT individual clubs).

Thread: Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification
03/10/2019 15:12:51

See my reply to your PM Adrian.

02/10/2019 19:20:57

I can recommend these if you have trouble matching the servos:

**LINK**

26/09/2019 19:42:39

Looking good Adrian. I'm sure the engine box will be strong enough - after all it's designed for a shaky old petrol engine rather than a nicely balanced electric motor.

Any thoughts on cooling at this stage? Do you block the two oval shaped "cylinder head" cooling holes in the cowl and direct air towards the motor / ESC, or do you leave it open?

P.S. Bit of info about your motor here that might have saved you a bit of work earlier.

Thread: The Repair Shop
24/09/2019 20:22:29

Tonight's episode had me in bits, even though I've seen it before.

It was the one with the violin which had saved the life of the grandmother of the lady who brought it in. Her grandmother had played the violin with other musicians to new arrivals at Auschwitz to make them feel at home, and thus saved her from the "showers". The repair included sympathetically making good two wartime repairs using the original patches to maintain it's history. It was then played lovingly to it's new owner before handing it back.

Restoration and TV at their very best.

Thread: Glenns models cap 232
24/09/2019 14:00:21
Posted by bert baker on 24/09/2019 01:43:29:

2021182e-7e70-4a60-b76f-7563e9329dd7.jpeg

I get this Bert. The above photo makes perfect sense from what Glen has written in his instructions. What I'd do is find a wingnut that fits the thread or glue some ply over the spikes to make it easier on the fingers. The use of sandpaper on the inside of the fus also makes sense.

What threw me and what is still confusing me is your earlier photo as below. The front bolt appears to show a captive nut on the wrong way on the front wing bolt. It looks like the spikes are sticking into the wing rib from the visible side. If there is no captive nut on the other side of the wing rib, then surely a good yank would pull the bolt and captive nut straight out. You also said that you only use the front two, hence the confusion. Apologies if I'm misreading your photo, but that's how it looks to my eyes.

Posted by bert baker on 23/09/2019 01:24:35:

85de61e4-dbbe-49cd-b2c4-8aa5e6cd1fb1.jpegMine also sports front and rear wing bolts,

I only ever use the front two,, and use captive nuts on the wrong way round

As of yet never had one come loose

23/09/2019 22:05:13
Posted by cymaz on 23/09/2019 21:56:51:

A Zenoah 62 is just about 1lb heavier than a DLE 55.

That explains the lead then.

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
23/09/2019 21:54:34
Posted by conrad taggart on 23/09/2019 20:18:49:

How is everybody finding these now that we are nearly a year down the line and what was the best source ? Thinking of getting one before the really cold weather sets in. Thanks Conrad

I'm finding mine to be rather dusty.....

Not used much lately for obvious reasons but over winter it was faultless. Running it on Red Diesel and not adjusted anything. I do make sure that it is set to high for a few minutes (as recommended by many people in this thread and others) before I switch it off to burn off any residue.

edit - I bought a combined one with a 5 litre tank built in but found it difficult to re-fuel due to being mounted under a bench. I bought a 10 litre tank and fastened it to the outside of the bench, making it much easier to monitor the fuel level and top it up. In retrospect, it may have been cheaper to buy separate heater / pump / tank / controller.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/09/2019 22:01:47

23/09/2019 21:47:12

Oh, I think I may have lied earlier when I said my Cap has no lead fitted.

I fitted the aileron and elevator mass balancing weights as well as completely re-wiring and re-plumbing it when I bought it second hand. No CoG adjustment weight was needed though.

23/09/2019 21:38:43
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/09/2019 21:08:12:

I dunno, if it just tips onto its nose, should be fine, no fuel to leak.

Good point. I can't tip mine onto it's nose for the very reason you gave.

I'd still try to put a hatch in the top though if I were building another - even a petrol one, but especially an electric one.

23/09/2019 21:30:45

Ahhh makes sense now - at least the way I'm reading it.

Nylon bolt is simply screwed into the captive nut from the inside, glued into the wing and left in place. Nut is then fitted onto the protruding bolt from inside the fuselage to secure the wing in place. No mention of fitting a T-nut the wrong way though.

Mine's (second hand one) not like that but fixing the bolt into the wing makes sense

23/09/2019 20:55:48

Adrian.

I have a Glenns Cap fitted with a Zenoah 62 and access to the wing bolts is via a hatch on the underside of the model. It's the one thing about the model I really don't like and I only need access once per day to fit the wings and once to remove them.

If I needed to turn the (rather large) model upside down to fit / remove batteries before each flight I think it would do my head in.

If I were you, I'd get my thinking cap on and come up with a way of fitting the batteries in from the top. Maybe by adapting the canopy to make it removable? You might also be able to fit the wing bolts via the same top access.

23/09/2019 20:44:08
Posted by bert baker on 23/09/2019 20:09:57:

The T nut is as per the instruction manual that comes with the kit

the flat head of the nut is against the Fuz side not the spikes,

It's the spikes that rip your fingers when fitting them

I'm struggling to understand what you mean.

Mine has regular T-Nuts on the wing side of the root rib. Wing bolts screw in from the inside of the fuselage.

Any chance of you posting an image of the relevant part of the instruction manual Bert?

P.S. My Glenns Cap has no lead at all and flies like it's on rails.

15/09/2019 13:03:40

My point here Rich was that the whole purpose of having redundancy is that if one leg fails, the other leg should keep the system going. If the overall system fails when one leg fails, then redundancy is ineffective.

Regardless of the low chance of a battery failing short circuit, the fact remains that lack of diodes can potentially prevent the redundancy from working properly. I agree that the addition of diodes increases the chance of a single failure BUT it does allow the redundancy to work properly by isolating each leg. I also agree that the switch is the weak link and far more likely to fail than the battery, wiring or the diode.

As you say, it's each to their own, but each should at least understand all the potential failure modes.

P.S. I'm with you on using LiFe batteries rather than NiMh's.

P.P.S. The previous sketch to yours showed a "Y-Lead" with 2 built in diodes. I think that two separate extension leads with a diode in each and two separate plugs onto the receiver (if spare sockets available) would be better because it removes the single point of failure that exists between the diodes and the receiver.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
14/09/2019 20:34:04
Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 14/09/2019 19:03:46:

Does anyone know the type of drone used to attack the Saudi oil refinery?

I hope it was registered!

14/09/2019 14:05:43

Good bit of info there Rich, but I have a query.

Imagine a model wired as you have shown in your sketch, and one of the cells in a 4 cell batteries fails short circuit. It then effectively becomes a 3 cell battery in parallel with a 4 cell battery. Surely the 4 cell battery would try to charge the 3 cell battery because there is now enough voltage per cell to generate the required charge current and cause the overall voltage to drop. An in-line diode would prevent this from happening - or does this not happen in practice for some reason I'm missing?

Note that I've never used batteries in parallel myself - I tend to use JR/Spectrum PowerSafe receivers (now obsolete?) when I want battery redundancy.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us