By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Manuel

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Manuel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
23/10/2018 12:14:02
Posted by ken anderson. on 23/10/2018 10:47:51:

imagine the crooks getting chased in their electric car by the police in theirs...…………. bet the sparks will fly...

ken anderson...ne...1...electric future dept.

Will they "charge" them with assault and "battery"?

Thread: Announcing Plans for the 2019 Mass Build
24/09/2018 14:11:26

Why not loosely schedule the build to help keep the blogs aligned. i.e. March = wings, April = whatever .....

Just a suggestion.

24/09/2018 11:23:10

My first thought was that 1st March is getting awfully close to the start of the flying season and that the MB would suffer as a result.

My second thought is that this may actually be a good thing. It will avoid the mad rush to get the build over and done as a cure for Yule induced Cabin Fever. Let people do their own thing at this time, then move on to the MB in March when people will have the odd weekend to spare when the weather is not fit for flying.

Got to be worth a try and it can't be worse than last year.

Thread: What's flying over your house
16/09/2018 15:36:14

Just got buzzed by Lancaster flying at about 500 feet directly above my back garden. Not far from Finningley (Doncaster Robin Hood) airport smiley

Edited By Gary Manuel on 16/09/2018 15:36:38

Thread: BMFA subs increase.
11/09/2018 01:18:32

I can live with £4 increase as it appears to be justified by falling membership numbers. Increasing insurance claims is a concern though. I wonder what the underlying cause of that is.

Thread: Seagull Funky Cub assemble.
09/09/2018 14:32:26

I'm passing your house within the next hour. I'll drop some fibre glass board off. Get kettle on.

Thread: The Seagull has landed
05/09/2018 14:15:39

Good point Chris.

I guess it's inevitable that it will spring back a little when I liberate it.

05/09/2018 12:47:34

I think I'll only be satisfied if I can remove the warp from the wing properly. It looks like the covering will be coming off. Maybe I can just peel it off from the leading edge and not touch the trailing edge.

The way I see it, the wings must have been made in a jig, so they will have been straight at one time. The warp must have happened later, probably as the sheeting dried out. If I give the sheeting a good soaking and then re-jig the wings as they dry out, hopefully the warp will be removed.

04/09/2018 12:30:29
Posted by john s on 04/09/2018 12:26:57:

Gone a bit quiet!!

I'm still pondering what to do with the warped wing. I've been putting it off to be honest.

Thread: Silicone Wire Size relative to Volts / Amps / Watts ?
03/09/2018 17:26:44

Wire diameter or more accurately the cross sectional area is what defines the maximum current that any particular conductor can carry.

There are plenty of tables available on the internet,

Thread: 4 motor wiring?
26/08/2018 13:01:42

Den

You should have no problem with the ErSky if it has similar capabilities to OpenTx.

Good luck with the HK Lancaster - they can be challenging to fly and everything that's been said about them is true. The key is to fly them quite fast with power applied all the time.

Pat

I interpreted the 4 cables (9 wires) into the receiver to be to 4 separate channels, but I can see how the 3 dots could be read as single terminals on one channel - with multiple wires on a dot representing Y leads. Either way, it works.

25/08/2018 12:59:27

Den

I just have one thing to add, as you said you want to understand the basics.

Simon's circuit diagram is spot on and will give you independent control of all 4 motors using 4 radio channels, which allows you to programme differential throttles. I've used this arrangement on a Lancaster to great effect, but it does require that your transmitter is up to it. I had to use a few tricks to get mine to do what I wanted.

If you just want all 4 motors to run together over a single channel, just use 3 y-leads at the left hand end of Simon's circuit. i.e. two ESC leads into 1 Y-lead and two into another, then the two Y-leads onto the third Y-lead, the other end of the third Y-lead into the receiver throttle channel. Remember though, that only 1 red wire between the four ESC's and the first Y-lead should be left connected. Maybe you could try this first to check that all is working, then play around with throttle differential (rudder mixed with the four throttle outputs in varying degrees).

Out of interest, which transmitter are you using?

Edit - HERE's a link showing what I did with my transmitter to get differential throttle control of my Lancaster

Edit 2 - One important consideration if using differential throttles is your failsafe. It needs to work on all 4 throttle channels!

Edited By Gary Manuel on 25/08/2018 13:12:06

Thread: Government Consultation on Drone Flying in the UK.
23/08/2018 16:47:50
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/08/2018 16:08:15:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 23/08/2018 15:41:43:
Posted by Nigel R on 23/08/2018 15:27:03:

And, FWIW, BMFA passed on details and requested the form be done, to our club which in turn passed it on to all its members via regular meeting and by email. And I've seen it here, and on the BMFA site. yes

Interesting.

I've not heard anything from our club. I'll have to ask our club secretary whether he's had any request. He's normally pretty good at putting links on our forum etc.

Your club Secretary posted on this thread he'd received his email, and yep he's normally pretty good with your updates on the club morgue (forum), I shall endeavour to remedy the omission.

P.S haven't you a bent model to sort. face 1

Thanks John.

Still trying to work out how to unbend the model.

23/08/2018 16:41:47

David.

It says in the BMFA guide that the numbers change depending on your answers. My numbers were a bit different to BMFA numbers.

At the end of the form, it asks if you want to print your responses. I said yes then "printed" to Adobe pdf maker.

23/08/2018 15:41:43
Posted by Nigel R on 23/08/2018 15:27:03:

And, FWIW, BMFA passed on details and requested the form be done, to our club which in turn passed it on to all its members via regular meeting and by email. And I've seen it here, and on the BMFA site. yes

Interesting.

I've not heard anything from our club. I'll have to ask our club secretary whether he's had any request. He's normally pretty good at putting links on our forum etc.

23/08/2018 15:35:15

I'm thinking more along the lines of straightening the left wing up by soaking in water / Ammonia or whatever.

The incidence angle at the root looks OK, so there's no point adjusting that to my way of thinking. The problem is at the wing tip.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 23/08/2018 15:36:41

Thread: Government Consultation on Drone Flying in the UK.
23/08/2018 13:43:05

All done.

I set out with the intention of reading the questions and BMFA responses and cutting / pasting if I agreed or changing them if I disagreed.

As it turned out, I agreed with all of their answers(!) I only added a few of my own comments to the final sections on predicted future use of drones, where I said that "I can't predict the future. The uptake of the use of drones is dependant upon many factors which have not been tested yet."

Well done to the BMFA.

I don't care whether it is obvious that I am just copying from the BMFA stock answers. The important bit is that by completing the survey, I have registered the fact that I share the same opinions as the organisation that represents us.

22/08/2018 18:33:09
Posted by iqon on 22/08/2018 17:57:14:

you could always sell it !!! cheap

Oh yeah. Why didn't I think of that?

22/08/2018 17:40:55

It's the best suggestion so far ....

22/08/2018 17:29:44

This next bit is what I've been putting off until the last minute as I'm dreading where it might lead.

Anyone following the thread may remember that I've not liked the way the model behaves in tight loops. I've found and fixed a problem with a warped tail, but I also suspected that the wings may also be warped because of the amount of aileron left trim it needed.

Here's how I checked the wings - starting with the right wing.

Aileron clamped in the neutral position and Clinometer zero'd using the canopy seat as a reference.

gwm_1910.jpg

Root was measured at 0.1 degrees.

gwm_1911.jpg

Tip was measured at -0.2 degrees and has a chord of 220mm. That's minus 0.2, so there is 0.3 degrees of (clockwise) twist in the wing (the trailing edge at the tip is higher than at the root).

This calculates at 220 Tan (0.3) = 1.15mm, which sounds reasonable to me.

gwm_1912.jpg

Now on to the left wing.

Clinometer zero'd as before.

gwm_1913.jpg

Root measured at 0.4 degrees.

gwm_1914.jpg

Tip measured at -1.0 degrees.

That's a total of -1.4 degrees of clockwise twist.

This calculates at 220 Tan(1.4) = 5.37mm (The trailing edge at the tip is lower than the root).

gwm_1915.jpg

So the right wing tip is 1.15mm high and the left tip is 5.37mm low - or 6.52mm total.

No wonder it needed so much left trim and it's not flying properly!

Now has anybody got any suggestions for straightening the wings up?

I've tried a bit of heat with twist pressure applied but it's made no difference. The whole wing is quite stiff, but apparently twisted!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us