By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Manuel

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Manuel has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CAA registration take-up?
14/12/2019 16:03:47
Posted by Steve J on 14/12/2019 13:59:32:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 14/12/2019 13:34:21:

How do you know Steve?

Somebody did an FoI request and published the results.

Interesting to see how it is after a full year.

14/12/2019 13:34:21

How do you know Steve? Is this freely available info?

Edited By Gary Manuel on 14/12/2019 13:36:06

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
12/12/2019 12:50:28

Well said Chris.

Hopefully your (written) response above from the CAA should be enough to put this question to bed ... but I doubt it.

Thread: Batmobile kids ride on car
10/12/2019 13:20:19

Great project.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
09/12/2019 16:39:03

... and bookies!

Thread: BMFA News Dec 2019
08/12/2019 23:18:31
Posted by RottenRow on 08/12/2019 21:55:54:

The latest BMFA News explains it all very clearly as well. The included exemptions will save each member having to print them at home, though the 400 ft exemption was not included for some reason, or not with my copy anyway.

The two new exemptions 1327 and 1331 state on them that a copy of the exemption along with a copy of the relevant documents must be carried by the remote pilot at the time of the flight. The older 400ft exemption does not state this.

Thread: BMFA Membership Card
08/12/2019 20:00:00
Posted by Richard Acland on 08/12/2019 19:41:06:

The Blue Light card is worth having. It is available to a wide range of members of the Emergency services and ex forces personnel. Also the Defence Discount card for serving and ex forces has some good discounts.

I'm not eligible for either of these cards, so I'll have to make do with the BMFA card.

On a more positive note, the BMFA card is just as good as either of these two for smoothing out glass fibre, scraping ice off car windscreens etc wink

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/12/2019 20:03:44

Thread: BMFA News Dec 2019
08/12/2019 12:10:13

Yes - I was well impressed with the important enclosures within this months mag.

Well done BMFA yes

Can't get my breath about ongoing negative comments about BMFA after all they've done. Ignore them BMFA reps. They don't represent the view of the majority.

Thread: BMFA Membership Card
08/12/2019 12:00:20

Thanks for that Scott. Not very good reviews about the App, but the responses suggest that the app has been fixed.

I've downloaded the Android App by searching for Vectis on Google Play Store to see for myself. It appears to be working OK but not finding the stores I would have liked. Only ones I'll use are Halfords = 10% and Go Outdoors = extra 10% off their discount card price. Worth having then, but not going to change the way I shop.

STOP PRESS - I found THIS which allows you to use your browser to search for discount locations near you. This is exactly what I was looking for to start with. Not sure why you can't access this from Vectis web site, which asks for your membership number before presumably taking you to the link I found..

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/12/2019 12:11:14

07/12/2019 20:33:47
Posted by cymaz on 07/12/2019 17:58:09:

Does THIS help??

I'm not sure whether it helps or not Cymaz.

I've never heard of most of them and certainly never used them (apart from W H Smiths). Is that perhaps because the offers are tailored to the hobby / company / business that's partnering with the card company? Maybe these offers are more suited to Driving Instructors than Modellers?

I was rather hoping to see companies more in tune with Hobbies / Tools / Boys Toys and other technical stuff. When Andy Symons did his presentation at our AGM. I thought I saw companies such as Halfords, Screwfix, Sky etc on his presentation slide.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 07/12/2019 20:34:27

07/12/2019 16:59:46

BMFA renewal now includes the option of a high quality plastic membership card at a cost of £3.50.

The card apparently gives access to a range of discounts and other benefits applicable to the hobby. It appears to be a "Vectis Card".

I have looked on the VECTIS WEB SITE for details of the benefits that are on offer, but the details aren't visible until you have a Vectis membership number which appears on the card.

Does anyone already have a Vectis card or know where details of the available offers can be seen?

Thread: Unexpected behaviour of SwE in Taranis
06/12/2019 11:47:05

Allan.

Worth looking at Global Functions and Special Functions too. Both have potential to cause this.

P.S. One thing to try is replacing your !E Up = 100% with E-- = 100% and EDown = 100% just to see whether defining all 3 switch positions sorts out the problem.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 06/12/2019 11:54:10

03/12/2019 14:08:39

OK - just explaining what I meant by policing as you seemed unclear.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 03/12/2019 14:08:52

03/12/2019 13:28:25

John,

I suspect that you keep referring to "policing", because I gave you a hard time about it prior to and at our AGM. I made it a condition of me remaining as a committee member, that I would not be involved in policing the registration regulations. You have stated recently that you are confused by the policing comments, so let me try to explain.

The term "policing" in the context of registration as I see it hasn't started yet. It's the ongoing checking that every model carries a legitimate Operator ID and is only flown by a "competent Flier".

You / the club have decided that all club members must fly legally (which I accept as your prerogative), despite the BMFA advice which makes it an individual choice rather than mandatory. The starting point to this is checking that everyone is competent and registered as an operator (which I accept). What I don't accept is the ongoing responsibility of checking that all models are labelled up correctly as this would in my opinion, cause ill-feeling / arguments and take the enjoyment out of visiting the field. The whole point of registration is to end up with an Operator ID label on every model. Without this, the registration exercise is pointless. Someone MUST take responsibility for this. In my opinion (and the BMFA's), it should be the individual flier and not the club. It certainly is not the responsibility of the committee members.

The problem with the club getting involved in "policing" the registration process, is that the club could inadvertently be taking liability away from the individual.

03/12/2019 11:44:25
Posted by Michael Adams 3 on 03/12/2019 11:02:25:

What a load of rubbish is being written, do what the BMFA & CAA tell us to do & what is the problem, I have my

numbers, fixed to each plane, so away I go with no worries,

Merry Xmas, and all that, and successful landings, no holes in the ground.angrylaugh

Mike.

Bit abrasive Michael, if you don't mind me saying.... and a bit rich.

If you had done what the BMFA told you to do, you wouldn't have your numbers yet wink

Thread: Batmobile kids ride on car
01/12/2019 18:09:19

Whoever Batboy is, he's a very lucky young lad (or lass).

01/12/2019 11:35:52
Posted by ken anderson. on 01/12/2019 10:35:28:

too late now but I wouldn't be broadcasting that the on line test is very easy etc,maybe when the powers to be have a look at some feedback they will be thinking "maybe" we need to change the format/toughen it up...roll on this time next year when all of this is forgot about (probably)…

ken anderson...ne..1..... forgot dept.

I don't think so.

It is deliberately easy because it's deliberately common sense based. If you have common sense and a basic understanding of the regulations, you WILL pass. That's all they are interested in.

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
29/11/2019 20:49:03

Just reminiscing about the good old days when a hobby was a hobby and cost was an inconvenience.

29/11/2019 20:37:28

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 29/11/2019 12:27:10:

I've built amplifiers and radios, a second processor for my BBC micro......

Wow - A Supercomputer!

Spent many a happy hour with the 6502.

Thread: Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification
29/11/2019 17:32:49

Shame about the cowl Adrian.

It's an awfully big plane to be inverting to fit batteries. Pity you couldn't find a way to fit the batteries from the top.

PS - when I invert my Cap after fitting the wings, I put the weight on the spinner (on a towel) and rotate it end over end rather than trying to lift it off the ground to turn it over.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 29/11/2019 17:33:21

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us