By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: failed e-flite SAFE receiver
06/05/2019 07:56:05

Kim the problem on my e-flight receiver WAS Reduced Range .

FACT...we range tested it and range was very poor we had a number of “fly aways” just as the other user above.

Another user at my club also had the same experience.

When I say landed in “safe mode” the plane when out of transmitter range cut throttle and flat landed ...so fail safe.

Do not accuse me of making inaccurate statements on the internet.

I am advising others based upon this . If you for some reason are a keen admirer of this make of receiver, you are free to tell others of your admiration for it

I am speaking from actual experience. I know a number of others have also had this .

in my view this is a bad receiver .

Happy to meet you personally to discuss

Thread: Warning X8R RX - do not use with CDI on IC powered 'planes
04/05/2019 16:56:55

I don’t blame you quietly licking wounds that is so bad ...., It’s awful that receivers are sold like that without obvious warnings on them. Thank heavens nobody was hurt either. An out of control model is a nightmare. I know you like your planes as we all do , and as well as the replacement cost in money it’s all the time and effort we put into them when assembling them that is also lost in crashes. I do think we should have an “industry classification” for receivers. There are some horrible ones out there that can easily cause trouble. If range or suitability is limited to specific model types there should be a warning. I cannot understand why some manufacturers make some receivers for outdoor aircraft limited range .

04/05/2019 14:30:35

Blimey very sorry to hear that Ron. I thought you had been quiet recently. That’s awful . I must admit I have stuck with glow engines so far, as fo me they are always the simplest easiest and most practical option as i’m unlikely to go bigger than the 180. I’m slowly sticking my Hurricane back together, but while I do that have certainly been enjoying my home baked LA7.

Thread: failed e-flite SAFE receiver
02/05/2019 18:11:03

I bought an Apprentice a couple of years back for my son . We had constant problems with the “safe” receiver. It kept going out of range and forced the model to land in “ safe mode” . We ditched the receiver and swapped it with a full range standard receiver and have never looked back😊. I’m afraid I’m not a big fan of those “safe mode” receivers after that! Our “safe” receiver seemed to just have “park flyer range”. Anybody who has taught beginners knows they often end up flying too far out! It’s totally stupid in my opinion to have shorter range receivers on trainers. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2019 18:14:32

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
30/04/2019 08:23:53

Cheers Ash . Robert took it on an ordinary Samsung mobile using rapid picture function. It was hard to see what we got until back in the clubhouse as the light was bright.

29/04/2019 21:24:38

I got out again today and flew the Warbird Replicas LA7 as the wind was just right😊. I’m really getting to like this plane. It does need some careful handling as I built it heavy but once it gets going it cuts the sky like a knife and is very smooth. It rolls nicely and makes nice big loops. My friend Robert managed a good picture on his mobile phone 633cc5bb-6d1a-46b3-a681-76b2e59e14a1.jpeg

Thread: Seagull Hurricane Laser
20/04/2019 21:01:25

Thank you Andrew . I used to have a World Models Spitfire 60 and that was a great flyer . I must really stress that this plane is NOT difficult to fly I just mucked up the settings when I adjusted them . I have posted this in the hope it is useful to others and they will not make the same errors .

20/04/2019 11:55:32

Thanks too Martin...we live and learn 😊

20/04/2019 11:54:04

Cheers Paul . I agree we did the maiden last year and I thought I would have sufficient rates after my adjustments . Anyway the good news is

No engine damage (apart from new exhaust needed , but I have a spare anyway) . It does look repairable too. The Cowling is fine too with minimal damage near the exhaust outlet which is an easy fix .

20/04/2019 10:02:51

Hi Chris I hope this helps that’s why I decided to post it so everyone can learn something. The plane was traveling quite fast . I estimate 40 maybe 50mph in a wide turn with an axis of about 80m or more. That should have allowed a nice upwind pass along our runway. The plane was in a very very shallow dive maybe 10 degrees down from horizontal. I was using a lot of right rudder (normally I would just use a bit of right rudder in the turn ) as the right aileron seemed ineffective . I needed to get round the turn as we have a tree near our runway . I was using full elevator but the plane just flattened and didn’t gain height. The throttle was at 3/4.

Looking back on what might have saved it.

1. Full Throttle. I was on 3/4 . The ballooning effect of full throttle might have lifted it.

2. letting go of the rudder ( trees were about 100m ahead)

3. Full rates ......unknown to me as I thought I was already on full rates I was on the middle rate on the 3 position switch with much reduced travel.

4. I seem to have made an error when setting up my dual rates on the transmitter ....my middle rate has 85% left aileron rate but just 60% right . That would have significantly reduced the right turn effectiveness . When I did the roll earlier in the flight it was a left hand roll!

The plane “flat landed” on its belly at fairly high speed . The down impact snapped the fuselage behind the cockpit. The cockpit was untouched. When the fuselage broke in two the front section moved forward ripping ailerons and rudder and taking them with it . The downwards impact wasn’t that great and the wing sad little damage apart from a bend in wing tube

19/04/2019 21:35:51

By the way Paul I had a lot of speed and was just turning on a wide axis into wind . I’m quite used to Warbirds now but this one has proved extra tricky. I think the mistake i made was with altering settings to much and reducing the limit somehow with my mixes. The large amount of down trim I added early in the flight I think took out my up elevator limit.

19/04/2019 21:29:55

Cheers Chaps . 😊. Silly thing was that my rates switch after I looked at the transmitter was on middle setting. I thought I had it on full rates... never mind . I’m not going to bin it as there are also quite a few good spares .

19/04/2019 20:23:49

This isn’t where it crashed it just shows it snapped in half . The main damage was all in the centre of fuselage . Tha impact was all under the plane as it hit the ground flat. c36f9d71-dcfd-49b0-b72d-2aefc6676d8f.jpeg

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/04/2019 20:26:24

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/04/2019 20:28:06

19/04/2019 20:20:58

My Hurricane is sadly no more ! I took if for a fly today in perfect conditions. I had added some up elevator mix when the gear is down to prevent pitching down on landing. I also moved the elevator from third servo hole to second making it about 1cm from the servo centre. The plane felt good in the air on take off which went perfectly. I retracted the gear and started a circuit . I noticed the plane was pitching up after the gear was retracted and put in quite a bit of down trim . Anyway the circuit continued and all felt good and I did a nice barrel roll. I then came downwind and gently turned back into wind at about 3/4 throttle the turn response was a but slow so I added more rudder. Anyway the plane went into a gentle descent and I just didn’t have enough rudder to pull it up. It wasn’t stalling as it still had speed in the gentle turn . The plane slowly descended and hit the ground flat . It seems the new mix and reduced deflection and down trim caused me to run out of elevator. The plane broke in two in the centre and probably isn’t repairable unless I make a massive effort . Lucky the engine is fine

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
18/04/2019 15:51:57

Thank you Tom ! That’s really good information. We were wondering what has been going on because other than the holes there are no signs of rabbits. I did notice some poo on the ground that looked a bit like Fox or dog . Hmm maybe might need to get fertiliser or something down to deter them . Do you have any suggestions please ?

16/04/2019 21:07:35

Cheers Martin. 😊. Hi Percy . I’m pleased you like our benches. We have made quite a bit of effort smartening up our club. We have a decent portacabin with H&C water and a small gas hob/kitchen plus ladies and men’s loos . So quite cushy ! Regarding trees we certainly have a few. The runway is actually on the far side of the tree you see on the right so that tree isn’t really a problem. It’s almost a “safety tree” as it deters pilots getting to close to our flight line . We recently put up wooden fence posts and netting to separate the pilots box from the runway.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 16/04/2019 21:12:06

16/04/2019 19:08:04

Here is the LA7 after action 624f531e-07b6-4648-a12d-902581e48e21.jpeg

16/04/2019 18:56:53

Just returned from a fantastic day flying. 6 great flights in all . We had a nice Easterly wind starting at 2-3mph straight down the runway and luckily it picked up a bit so I started to get some Warbird flights in which was really the purpose today. In the low wind I started with a couple of flights on my little Acrowot. As the wind picked up to about 5mph I had three lovely flights with my Seagull P47 Snafu . Late in the day the wind picked up to about 10mph so I decided to fly my Warbird Replicas LA7. As the ground is still slightly soft I needed a helper to give the Warbirds a small push to start the takeoff run to avoid nose overs. . The P47 also went very well . We are currently plagued on our runway with loads of small Rabbit holes which they have recently dug . It’s a real pain but we have now bought some sharp sand and lawn dressing to fill them in. The holes made it very important for me to land accurately and not beyond the first half of the strip. I was extremely relieved to bring my LA7 in and avoid the holes especially with it near 10lb weight it takes a long while to stop. It flies very well with its laser 80 . I’m pleased I didn’t put a bigger engine the LA7 or it would be taking up even more runway. The Laser 80 powers it well.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 16/04/2019 18:59:50

Thread: Acrowot with laser 80
11/04/2019 21:36:06

Cheers Jon ...that bit of the engine testing sounds fun! I must admit I do enjoy engines it’s all about the right engines the right application. Obviously there are good and bad quality engines but engines are always suited to a particular purpose depending on torque and rpm cubes. There are lots of combinations of stroke bore and capacity ...matching props to all that and it certainly becomes a bit of an art getting it right . Obviously experience is the most useful! .

Re the Acrowot weight . 10g on the tail is just a slither. The engine thrust seems very well above the 6.28lb all up weight. However up front I did add reinforcement plus baffles and aluminium scoop in the cowl. I also used my own beefy laser engine mounts as the kit ones were missing. The other thing I customised were the cowl fixings. I have an aversion to wobbly threaded screws in fuel soaked holes in the cowl . I used glued in stainless steel threaded inserts in the wood with plastic m3 cowl screws . The plastic screws do not vibrate loose like metal screws do . . Kits and wood do vary so it’s possible that my tail would light but as I mentioned my hollow carbon tail rod is a lot lighter than the wooden kit one too.

11/04/2019 08:51:37

Hi Jon I agree it’s interesting the characters of each of your engines. This one can really rev so definitely can go fast . 😊. I’m getting all I need on the 13x6 but may have a go just for info on a 12x7or 13x7. On the 13x6 I don’t need much more than half throttle for all the aerobatic stuff. It’s very good on fuel too. I’m getting close to 15min on my 10oz tank and coming in with spare fuel. Hi Ash the AUW is about 2.85kg or 6.28lbs. It feels very light to me vs my heavy kit built Acrowot which I built like a truck😉.

Regarding the exhaust it is a stainless flexi-pipe with a brass sleeve (7/16” or 11.1mm diameter) silver soldered on the end which slides into the exhaust outlet with a fairly tight fit. I did put a dab of high temperature red silicone on it to ensure a total seal(the standard manifold uses o rings). The end of the SS flexi pipe has a smooth tapered section which fitted nicely into the brass sleeve for silver soldering. The standard laser exhaust clamp holds the sleeve in place . I used the cut out under the plane to mount a home made simple aluminium exhaust bracket. The pipe is held to the bracket with a steel jubilee clip with red silicone on the inside. That allows some flexibility whilst still gripping the pipe. Exhaust systems should not be totally rigid as cracks can develop longer term as the engine does shift slightly when running. I’m out today but happy to post more info.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/04/2019 08:58:40

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/04/2019 09:01:42

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us