By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Top Flite P51 - 65" span
28/03/2020 15:52:07

I’m watching this one with interest too. It sounds like it will be fun with the 120. I have a spare Laser 80 and an OS 95 v kicking around too although my garage ceiling is a bit full with 10 IC planes in ready to fly condition . I’m almost missing not having a build going now . Anyway I look forward to seeing this one take shape😊

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
25/03/2020 10:39:21

I agree David. Cyano is too fast for me to use as general building adhesive, and doesn’t allow any repositioning. On many occasions I have decided at the last minute to move things or prevented a mistake. The other bad thing with cyano is it is hard to sand and isn’t great for sticking covering onto , plus it’s nasty stuff to get on skin. White glues become tacky again with heat which helps with covering . I definitely still use cyano for parts that need quick tacking, and for hardening , but I believe white glues (aliphatics and PVA) are better for general building. I particularly like Tite bond aliphatic which sands well too.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 25/03/2020 10:40:04

Thread: Can I or can I not fly?
24/03/2020 09:52:23

Going to a flying field (unless it’s your back garden or your place of work ) is non essential travel . We are not allowed non essential travel .

24/03/2020 09:31:37

I luckily flew yesterday before the ban . Sadly it looks like it might be well over a month /months? before we are allowed non essential travel. Our other problem is that we had booked a contractor to do long awaited groundwork outside our clubhouse which will now be postponed ☹️

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/03/2020 09:11:40

Anyway thanks for speedy advice chaps I have ordered the starter last night from Just engines . Sadly doesn’t look like any of us will be flying for some time. I got two great flights in yesterday, luckily before the new ban came out .

23/03/2020 20:38:27

Thanks chaps the JE sounds perfect . My old little starter struggles on my OS 120ax and my Laser 180s on cold days so it’s finally time to bite the bullet . I do have an old 6s LiPo from when I once briefly tried electric 😊.

Chris I think someone would need to be very clever to flick my 200v into action on a cold day ! 
I use reverse flick with great success on Laser 180. 155, 100 and the 80 . My 70 either needs forward flick or a starter motor. The larger 100-180 lasers I find easiest to flick start. Bigger engines have more prop momentum and I . Always find them easiest to start. When the engines are already hot from previous flights  I use a starter as the fuel evaporates making flick starts harder .  

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 20:47:28

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 20:47:53

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 20:48:39

23/03/2020 18:46:31

Thanks Ron sorry I just got your specific link that’s perfect . I will order that 👍

23/03/2020 18:42:43

Cheers Ron is that their bigger one with the large cone ?

23/03/2020 18:41:48

By the way the 200v is unbelievable in the Wots Wot XL. Ron mentioned it might be fast and it certainly is ...with what seems unlimited vertical! That is despite my 200 being quite an old engine with the old purple carbs .

23/03/2020 18:30:41

Hi chaps I wonder if you can give advice on a new heavy duty engine starter? I currently mostly have been using a chicken stick to flick start and sometimes my small Sullivan 12v starter for my engines. The Sullivan just about starts most of my engines. I power it on an old fashioned 12v lead acid flight box battery. 
For my latest Laser 200v my starter struggles to turn it over in the cold due to lack of momentum with twin cylinders. By the way I’m obviously making sure there is no hydraulic lock etc! 

I can’t easily seem to flick start it either. I borrowed a club mates Align starter today that worked well but wondered if you folks had any recommendations?
Just Engines seem to do two geared starters a large and small that are reasonably priced . Would their geared smaller versions. Be better than my small Sullivan on 12v? Thank you!

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 18:32:26

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 18:34:37

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/03/2020 18:35:11

Thread: Cowl modification
20/03/2020 22:31:07

I did the maiden flight on the Wots Wot XL today. It was superb the 200v really makes it very fast indeed. Wind was 28mpb but no problem flying although I did have to put the wings on inside our clubhouse,! I was alone at the field so no flying pics I’m afraid . Here is a video of the engine running on the stand , **LINK**

Edited By Tim Flyer on 20/03/2020 22:31:48

Thread: Futaba area code
19/03/2020 12:19:54

Futaba probably want their products to be sold by legitimate retailers and are keen to avoid people buying fake or unsuitable/unauthorised /non-compliant grey market equipment. I imagine Futaba are not keen on people changing their firmware for the same reasons, and are keen on maintaining the reputation of their product. I’m afraid amazingly “cheap” offers are usually cheap for a reason . There used to be a number of fake servos and receivers around too which falsely implied that they were Futaba or Spectrum. That caught many unsuspecting Modellers out.

Thread: Tufcote / Furniglass
15/03/2020 08:28:58

One problem with epoxy resin as an outer coat is that it often (usually) yellows after a time with exposure to sunlight. Tuffcote doesnt seem to yellow nearly as much. So Martins Sadolin pv67 suggestion is much better. I have a wooden hydroplane that is painted with thin epoxy outer and it has yellowed a fair bit over the years giving it a “retro look”.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
13/03/2020 18:12:11

Yeah we are going to run just as normal. People are free to whether to attend or not and stand where they choose. Our biggest problem where we are in Hertfordshire is a soggy field !
I really want to get out flying again soon!
Just found one of the LIFE RX batteries I bought last year and didn’t use was duff so will have to reorder one for my newly ready Wots Wot rather quick !

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
13/03/2020 07:35:44

Martin I totally agree with your post above. Sadly it seems (and has been mentioned here by Jon in the past ) that there are some buyers of Laser engines who are more “engine collectors” than Flyers. Unfortunately when new stock arrives of “ rare engines “ these guys are fast to buy them up and put them in their cabinets. Sadly with Lasers limited production capacity that leaves less stock for flyers. I’m a committed glow engine guy so didn’t volunteer for the petrol as i have no petrol power models. However I have visited his factory many times and watched the project with interest from the start ... it seems possible some of the early “disappeared “guys just wanted discounted engines to collect

13/03/2020 07:35:43

Martin I totally agree with your post above. Sadly it seems (and has been mentioned here by Jon in the past ) that there are some buyers of Laser engines who are more “engine collectors” than Flyers. Unfortunately when new stock arrives of “ rare engines “ these guys are fast to buy them up and put them in their cabinets. Sadly with Lasers limited production capacity that leaves less stock for flyers. I’m a committed glow engine guy so didn’t volunteer for the petrol as i have no petrol power models. However I have visited his factory many times and watched the project with interest from the start ... it seems possible some of the early “disappeared “guys just wanted discounted engines to collect

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
12/03/2020 21:58:30

I think it’s pointless and over restrictive closing our field . Unless people have tiny fields and crowded pits, surely members can be relied on to keep enough distance between each other and maintain personal hygiene . I guess at some clubs members may have trouble restraining themselves😉

Thread: Cowl modification
11/03/2020 11:36:12

That sounds a fun plane Martin! I think that does underline the fact that practical experience is best rather than all sorts of rules which can often over complicate things . One thing i should add which I guess we are all aware of is that as models have “supersized” over the years ( along with many things in society) so the cooling of engines has become a bit of a tougher proposition. Larger engines have less surface area to volume so do require more cooling . I remember many modellers complaining of loose head bolts when OS launched the 120ax . It seemed many users were stretching the head bolts after allowing the engine to overheat . I think it would be fun one day to make a fluid cooled warbird rather like the full size . I understand some of the supersize models already have that .

10/03/2020 13:53:31

Sorry to bring up boats again but a reverse scoop or extractor works a bit like a self- bailer in the transom of a boat . A self bailer is simply a hole in the transom at the bottom of the hull below the water line. A one way valve is fitted to prevent taking on water when stationary. As the boat moves faster and lifts, the water rushing under the hull helps grab exiting water (due to water’s viscosity I believe) and the bilge is cleared fast . I believe air also has similar properties and exiting air meeting faster air going in the same direction receives some sort of pull due to its viscosity...ooh dear that’s as far as I can try to go 😳

Edited By Tim Flyer on 10/03/2020 13:54:07

10/03/2020 09:52:59

We probably need to borrow a wind tunnel if we really wanted to test different set ups , but I normally get away with just “overdoing”what I initially intended so there is plenty of margin. I’m sure an “efficient” system in winter might not cool enough on a hot summer day with thinner air etc . On our boats we often changed water cooling from winter to summer. In the winter I would run water through the manifold before reaching the engine so it wasn’t over cooled. Many of these things aren’t totally necessary and there are many different ways of achieving the desired result, but I guess its all that fettling with set ups etc that makes modelling fun! 😊

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us