By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Nickel plating pistons
05/08/2018 21:25:16

For high performance engines I believe accepted practice is to have lightened aluminium piston running in hard liners . If u run Hard coated piston in Hard coated liner you may just be adding unnecessary reciprocating mass? Casting a new piston and machining it down to fit should produce higher performance ? Obviously all depends on application. If itx a diesel that needs to lug a load for years or a “cooking “ engine that just needs to be reliable then the spec is different but a heavy piston isn’t great for performance surely.

Thread: Seagull Hurricane
03/08/2018 06:20:28

Thanks Jon . Good tip . Luckily my garage is dry but I will coat  it anyway as condensation can easily happen when transporting or at the field. About to do summer hols so will get it ordered when we return. That Mick Reeves site has some great looking planes! Happy Flying 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/08/2018 06:21:02

02/08/2018 16:24:35

Cheers Andy much appreciated that looks perfect 😊

02/08/2018 14:15:04

Any suggestions as to where I might buy a 1:6 scale instrument panel to replace the Seagull stuck on digital model would be appreciated. It would be nice to improve the cockpit a bit to add some touch of scale. I’m not going to make a panel myself though as I’m afraid I’m too time limited. The scale of this plane is roughly 1:6 with its 82 inch span.

Thread: DLE 30cc info sought
30/07/2018 10:25:25

Agreed. We have a bit of a problem at our club (which is not noise limited) however a number of DLE 30 flyers don’t seem to realise how loud their engines are . It not a problem site wise as the motorway isn’t that far away but it makes it very hard to hear regular IC models when flying with the DLE . Also regarding the shearing bolts one of our members had the same thing happen while his plane was in the air, so i believe it’s worth replacing bolts with quality items for safety’s sake. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 30/07/2018 10:37:51

Thread: Something that will bounce
29/07/2018 10:35:32

With Ron’s reinforcement comment he mentioned above it’s worth mentioning that it is all at the nose of the aircraft . This means it potentially replaces lead so adds strength rather than necessarily adding extra weight. If the plane is slightly nose heave that is usually easy to offset with tail weight . It’s a great idea to replace dead lead weight with a more durable nose section. The only downside I see is if you make the nose “too solid” a crash shockwave will do more damage at the rear . A strong nose section is useful on Warbirds which can sometimes nose over. I don’t think I have ever had an ARTF that didn’t need some ‘nose work’. Coating with a bit of epoxy and glass weighs very very little on a 60 size plane u would estimate about 40g so minimal. The added benefit is also that a leaky fuel tank or oil ingress when using IC won’t wreck the model.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 29/07/2018 10:36:14

Thread: Seagull Hurricane
27/07/2018 18:09:38

I reinforced the engine mount with birch ply and laminated som bearers it will all be glassed later. I replaced the star nuts with m5 threaded inserts.

27/07/2018 18:07:30

Bottom of fuselage reinforced and engine mounted

27/07/2018 18:06:19

fa3e38a6-1d4a-4a84-952a-3e2fd85f2d44.jpegf0e5d72f-777c-41aa-8e1b-1b3715477084.jpeg

27/07/2018 18:03:43

With the hot workshop j haven’t got that much done so far but now the tank and engine are in. Next job is control surfaces I will add fibreglass and epoxy reinforcement when the weather cools. Here are some photos I promised. 4f39538b-b260-41e0-9cbd-860631f56127.jpeg

Thread: Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??
23/07/2018 13:33:08

Had a great day Saturday flying my World models Spitfire which has a great performance with its Laser 80. I did my first bit of “Warbird formation flying” with a clubmate piloting his very nice Seafire(navy Spitfire) powered by an OS 120fs. The two planes sounded great together with their 4s sound and it was much harder than I had anticipated trying to keep in formation . I must admit I purposely missed out my club mates synchronised “loop” command as I wasn’t ready ! Great fun!

On Sunday I flew my Seagull P47 (my favourite) having had a really good flight I flat stalled it on landing whilst attempting to go around and sadly broke a wing ( new wings now on order) . The P47 with its Laser 100 has been my “go to” Warbird and has had s lot of flights so I’m not too sad about my mistake . Hopefully it will soon be up for more action 😊

Thread: If the ground had been two metres higher, the landing would have been perfect
20/07/2018 13:29:25

Pleased you are repairing it David . They are great planes . I always keep one running (I have had 3!!) . I think if you use the V twin it will also be madly nose heavy. The 155 will be plenty Ballistic! I have used a 2s OS 120ax in all of mine and it’s a lovely engine and also rather ballistic on a 16x8 prop. A 155 ( I use one in my Wots Wot Xl) will turn a 16x8 fast so it will more than power it . One thing worth considering is UPWARD flapperons for landing. I need and use these on my 120 2s powered version as it will keep on floating with all the power! Another thing is tail mounted servos rather than the rattling push rod . The big Laser 155 will allow that with no added nose weight 😊Enjoy!

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
19/07/2018 09:02:10

My 155 threw away its silicone exhaust outlet last Sunday. It was just one of the short grey cranked pieces that help deflect exhaust away from the body to save a bit of mess. It’s the second one it has rejected. I hadn’t expected it to last more than a few flights anyway. It had lasted a number of flights though. I do agree that silicone is useless on 4s engine exhausts. My OS 4s exhaust is super hot too. My new Laser 180 has a rather nice threaded tube on the manifold. It would be nice if we could buy them as an accessory and buy adapters to fit a short bit of steel flex tube on the end..

Edited By Tim Flyer on 19/07/2018 09:53:41

Thread: Exess fuel
17/07/2018 14:11:41

On my 4s Laser Models I run a 6in loop of fuel tube between the crankcase oil drain and fuel tank air vent under the model as my planes are hung horizontally on my garage ceiling and that stops oil dripping from the crankcase drain. I did once use fuel pipe with a plug but the loop works better and is more visible when taking the plane out again. Like others I use a blue roll of industrial tissue in the car and use that to stuff the exhaust. I find Mr Muscle Kitchen cleaner great for wiping planes down and removes oil perfectly. It’s a great idea if you can to stop the engine by pinching fuel tube. It does no harm and prevents possible corrosion. It isn’t possible on many models especially those with cowled inverted engines. Obviously always drain the tank too. I always connect an extra clunk fitting on the filler line so I can properly drain tanks.  😊

Edited By Tim Harris 1 on 17/07/2018 14:12:44

Edited By Tim Harris 1 on 17/07/2018 14:17:27

Edited By Tim Harris 1 on 17/07/2018 14:18:26

Thread: Holding Your Nose
17/07/2018 12:20:07

I must admit I have enjoyed this thread I know it has a more serious side but I’m afraid it’s quite funny too and it’s some relief from the humdrum 😊😊😊

17/07/2018 11:47:56

What about a nose down test.? Might be useful? Could also be used to control grass length 😉

Thread: Wot 4 Squared
13/07/2018 09:22:09

I used the Deluxe kit for mine (has Laser 80) . The undercarriage is very very durable glass fibre and cowl nice. U will still need to buy some clevises ( plastic ones are supplied) and hinges ( Mylar sheet is supplied) . And wheels I think. The 70 is a great match. My 80 is a bit OTT, but it still flies beautifully in almost any wind ...enjoy 😊

Thread: Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?
10/07/2018 10:43:09

I don’t blame you Ron it was a just in case . I do have a 100 myself in my p47which is great and another one wouldn’t go amiss! I have 6 Lasers now which are all in planes and merrily running very smoothly 😊

10/07/2018 09:28:18

Sorry Ron I didn’t reply as missed your kind offer but if your 100 is available I would certainly like to buy it if it’s in good condition as I’m sure it could go in another plane even if I don’t put it in the La7. I have sent you a PM

Thread: Futaba 14sg or 16sz, any thoughts?
09/07/2018 22:37:20

No ce Rich. The 16ch looks great that would be my choice for a new TX. I’m surprised though that Jason’s son finds the 14SG “too basic” as it certainly has all I need . I find the duals good and quality and operates fine, but if buying new the 16 makes most sense being a new model.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues