By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The State of Play
15/05/2020 11:58:42

I’m sure you might agree the tempest 2 is a really nice looking plane and I believe one of the fastest piston engine fighters, so is certainly on my list . I have removed incorrect photos from the album. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 15/05/2020 12:00:52

15/05/2020 11:53:36

Sorry chaps ! Well spotted!👍👍 in my haste of setting up the album just after posting I did accidentally include two of the same P47cowl shots... I took those on my visit because I’m also a p47 fan and have a Seagull version that I really enjoy 😊😊😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 15/05/2020 11:59:36

15/05/2020 09:41:31

One plane that hasn’t been mentioned and I think could be quite popular when people see it is the Tempest mk2. That has a nice radial cowl and should fly like a “sports car” (sorry for comparison but that’s why I like fighters). It’s a great candidate for a nice big IC model😉

here are some photos of the Tempest 2 at Hendon Museum 

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=53222

Edited By Tim Flyer on 15/05/2020 09:49:07

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
14/05/2020 16:21:30

I bought it when I visited the laser factory just before lockdown here , I’m sure Jon can help ..

14/05/2020 16:07:02

Sorry to hear about your club that’s a shame. We have had lots of debate about opening and a number of adjustments, but yesterday we opened , and so far it’s been great with everyone being sensible. There were just 3 of us today.

yes a video would be nice ...I think your twins put other makes to shame on their power, it must be the twin carbs helping too 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 14/05/2020 16:08:52

14/05/2020 15:53:04

Wow 5.6hp is superb for 60 cc 4s !

14/05/2020 15:48:43

Cheers Jon . Must admit I was lazy ( no pun intended) as usual and didn’t tacho it but the peak certainly seemed higher than I remember. The plane also seemed faster .. maybe that’s why. The idle was flawless with little smoke. The low oil might actually improve that further (it was good anyway) due to lower propensity for plug oiling up ?

Edited By Tim Flyer on 14/05/2020 15:49:30

14/05/2020 14:52:11

Cheers Scott if certainly seems to be the way forward, I can’t see any problems unless there is bad airflow, but that’s a big problem that always needs rectifying anyway.

I’m keen to totally switch over too now for all my models . ( I run the 70,80,100,155. 180 and a lovely but older generation 200v) . I think this oil probably makes the engine as clean as most petrol engines. I guess it’s so clean as all the oil in the exhaust fully vaporises so doesn’t end up dripping

14/05/2020 14:32:29

I didn’t bother with the idle but the main went around 1/4 turn leaner for max rpm . Must say I’m very impressed. The oil spray is really minimal!

14/05/2020 14:06:11

I just returned from flying as our club is now open😊 . I tried the new 7% reduced oil Model Technics Laser 5 fuel out for the first time, on my Laser 80 in my Wots Wot. This model is the Oiliest model I have . The position of the oversized engine in the slipstream normally gives it a complete splattering.

Anyway. I can report that reducing the oil from the normal 14% to 7% makes a massive difference in splattering !

The only oil noticeable was a few small darkish splashed on top of the wing that had come from the exhaust.

Halving the oil content seems to reduce the oil output of the engine by far more than that . I did not notice any adverse engine heating and power seemed to be up. It’s hard to tell if idling had been improved as it has always been good. The improvement in cleanliness is striking! If it were safe I would like to use low oil fuel on my older Laser 200v that has one chromed bore and one modern nicasil bore? Would that be advisable?

Edited By Tim Flyer on 14/05/2020 14:08:01

Thread: The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?
14/05/2020 13:51:16

Just returned from a great mornings flying There were just 3 of us were there ... we have 14 tables which are now extra widely spaced .. the grass runway was great too .. we recently had it fertilised and weed killer applied by a lawn company while we were closed .

13/05/2020 17:20:00

Our club opened today . There was no mad rush and good social distancing was observed

We are not choosing to book slots for members as we feel it is not needed and would be impractical as there are huge differences in plane set up times and reliability

If we had members booking slots we might risk having an empty flight line . At our club we have never had to queue to fly and members are kind enough give others plenty of space

We have a large area and members have close by parking facilities . We do not have padlocked gates and access is via a farm road track.

We have limited club house access to one person at a time we also spaced our flying tables further apart .

Edited By Tim Flyer on 13/05/2020 17:20:23

Thread: Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?
13/05/2020 09:53:29

I used these to mount my servos as they have a neat streamlined outer. **LINK**

Edited By Tim Flyer on 13/05/2020 09:55:30

13/05/2020 09:44:43

Again my servos might be too heavy. The servos I used are standard size Hitec but I’m sure sturdy mini 3kg servos would be even better and save weight...the ailerons are fairly small. If I were to build it again I would just use Futaba S3003 servos all round . They are fairly cheap reliable and light.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 13/05/2020 09:45:20

Thread: The State of Play
12/05/2020 09:24:08

Our flying field is mostly IC too. A number of modellers fly both but the majority fly IC . As I’m IC only and not a multi engine flyer the only choice above is the Defiant but I’m afraid I will pass on that as In my opinion it’s not pretty enough 😳...sorry . I have never had a Mustang so that will be my next project if I can get one to suit my 80-95 4s engines or maybe I will use my Laser 155 In something larger.

Regarding Hurricanes Spitfires &Mustangs P47s“being tired” I think the reason for that is that many long time modellers already own one of them so they aren’t so keen on buying another. The reason they already own them is that they are great looking planes. I’m my view they are the most attractive and I will try to keep one of each running in my fleet . Having said all that the Mew Gull is rather nice 😉

Thread: DB Hurricane paint and finish.
11/05/2020 21:55:18

Look forward now to seeing it fly . It should be lovely with the 240v.

Thread: The big question, WHEN
11/05/2020 18:52:43

I would like to thank BMFA and those responsible for their prompt clarification emails today 👍. Tim

Thread: Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?
11/05/2020 11:11:31

That’s true they are nice kits. Photos are always good on threads as ‘there are many ways to skin a cat ‘. Regarding wire routing, I managed to have servos and flaps in one long channel. The electric retract wires on my model are routed around the bottom inside edges of the wheel wells and then out through the wing centre .

11/05/2020 09:45:59

Cheers Ron . I think you are right missing out the flaps as with 2 servos, and making the thin flaps rigid enough I actually added a fair bit of weight which defeated their purpose . I have even considered removing them but didn’t want the faff. Regarding servo wires I cut internal channels in the foam wing using a length of copper pipe, which I think is the same as Bob.

By the way I’m pleased you are now moving on with it , as it’s a very nice looking model in the air and I think you will enjoy flying it 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/05/2020 09:51:58

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/05/2020 09:52:34

11/05/2020 08:45:50

Hi Ron. I glassed my wings , so just added extra cloth to the trailing edge. The wings are very strong and didn’t need extra reinforcement. They have stood up very well to some very poor leadings and rough ground. I also added flaps under the wings. With a heavy glassed fuselage plus flaps my La 7 is on the heavy side and comes in in a real rush even with flaps down . I need decent wind to bring the landing down to reasonable speed .

if I had managed to build it lighter I think it would fly better . If I managed a “light build” maybe the flaps could be omitted to save even more weight...The power level is adequate but a bit more would be much better, although I’m not putting in a bigger engine as it would add weight and increase landing speed .

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!