By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The State of Play
09/05/2020 17:54:19

I would buy a p51 if it would take my Laser 80 or OS95v ? ...I would be brush painting too probably with flair enamels

09/05/2020 10:50:35

I think there has definitely been an increase in building in our club over the last year . Some of it is just a “desire or aspiration” to start and some of it has led to substantial projects. It wasn’t just the recent lockdown that started this, I believe it was the shortage in ARTF kits last year plus the need for a “new direction” after the Quad/drone and FPV crazes settled down. We have also seen some increase in electric gliders.

A number of modellers at our club Are trying their hand at building. Some of them experienced others less so . Just as said above builders like looking at other builds to learn tips and techniques. I certainly have a look at many unusual builds including twin engined threads (including the BF110 )but I’m certainly not yet considering twins for my own builds . We have recently seen members starting builds on vintage sports IC planes, plus sophisticated scale Warbirds such as Mick Reeves’Spitfire.

Most of our club Warbird fliers look for models with wingspan from around 60 to 80ins ( so 10cc 2S and 30cc 4s/petrol) . That size is based on practical engine purchase/cost and ability to buy retracts at reasonable price with decent durability. The favourites are the obvious popular WW2 fighters. Most of our members want to have a good flying and good looking plane, rather than a close scale model of a rarely seen aircraft which might be a handful or present unknown challenge to fly .

Thread: If you like engines.........
06/05/2020 09:49:09

It’s good to see such great pictures of brilliant examples of creative engineering👍

Thread: Wanted: MFA Yamamoto 1600
03/05/2020 18:51:18

They also look much better than a Wot 4 . Despite being the owner of two Wot 4s I must say the Yamamoto certainly wins the beauty contest ! I do remember a friend having one with an Irvine 40 in the 70s 😊

Thread: Abused Laser
02/05/2020 10:13:08

Wow that engine certainly spent time in the the hands of a true bodger.

It’s quite amazing that there are some who seem to be able to ignore their lack off practical skills yet persist under the illusion that they are actually able to achieve a particular task.

One of the most important life skills is knowing and appreciating our own limitations and appreciation of other people’s abilities .
Holding back Our own pride and arrogance, enables us to accept advice and help from those who really do know, and not crashing like a flaming Icarus(or a drilled out Laser!). 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2020 10:14:44

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2020 10:15:11

Thread: The big question, WHEN
29/04/2020 15:55:02

Interesting post Chris...so it looks like some time away I’m afraid.

Luckily my other hobby is cycling so I can still do that to some extent although solo riding isn’t as much fun. . For RC I have resorted to getting some old indoor/outdoor micro helicopters out (I bought them around 2012) and flying inside and in the garden when it’s calm enough. It’s amazing that their old single cell lipos still work !

Thread: Large wing tube supplier ?
29/04/2020 15:24:33

I have used Aluminium Warehouse quite a bit . Very cheap and custom cut to length required. When I last ordered I also ordered other bits like aluminium angles to use to make building jigs and long squared sections to usd as clamps / straight edges etc. Here is the link **LINK**

sorry didn’t see whether u specified carbon . Anyway it might be useful for some 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 29/04/2020 15:28:47

Edited By Tim Flyer on 29/04/2020 15:30:08

Thread: Ferocious Frankie- Brian Taylor P-51
11/04/2020 10:00:10

Very impressive, must say I’m quite tempted by a BT Mustang too...

Thread: Warbird Replica Spitfire MKix
09/04/2020 19:23:26

Hi Richard just for information what size engine would you recommend for the Spitfire if IC 4 stroke powered ? Thank you .

Thread: SBach 300 - Repairs and modifications
06/04/2020 11:11:45

Very neat solution good work!. I guess as it’s open air and a 2s the can won’t get ridiculously hot i would think it will be fine. The silicone connector between header and can might get quite hot but I guess can easily be replaced if it gets too burnt.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 06/04/2020 11:13:36

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
05/04/2020 10:16:48

I recently renewed my subscription after I found it had lapsed ...unfortunately I hadn’t seen any reminders . Given that this excellent website is free to users and is such a great source of information I don’t think it would be unfair if there was a little more promotion of subscription. Another hobby website I use have a special mark against forum members names who are also subscribers . This helps increase subscription in that people are encouraged to also pay something for the use . I know RCM &E relies on advertising for revenue but promoting subscription on the forum in this way might also help.

Thread: Top Flite P51 - 65" span
03/04/2020 21:57:58

Good idea to buy two Peter. I must admit to having done that before too

03/04/2020 10:19:01

Very impressive indeed Chris.! I must say I also used the plastic film route on my recent Chipmunk build and it certainly was easier for me and I think was probably turned out better than my efforts at painting. By the way does anyone know if this Top Flite Mustang kit is still available. I have a spare OS95v and a Laser 80 so maybe I should have a go too ?  

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/04/2020 10:21:00

Thread: Does the size of spinner effect prop performance ?
01/04/2020 20:26:40

I’m sure wartime creates many more issues other than simply top speed of aircraft 😉

Edited By Tim Flyer on 01/04/2020 20:27:09

01/04/2020 15:20:35

Nice Model Chris👍

Thread: Does the size of spinner effect prop performance ?
01/04/2020 10:44:06

Frontal area of an aircraft is important for drag . A large spinner that matches the cowl and blends with the frontal profile will reduce drag and help the plane reach higher speeds and reduce propeller slip. In the trade off between loosing a bit of inner prop area, and reducing drag, reducing drag normally wins especially for higher speed aircraft.

Thread: Pin Holes
31/03/2020 14:38:03

If you are covering with heat shrink film I doubt the pin holes will even show. Before covering I sand and and paint with thinned pva/balsa sealer then sand again before covering. I don’t think I have ever needed to fill individual pin holes. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 31/03/2020 14:39:51

28/03/2020 15:52:07

I’m watching this one with interest too. It sounds like it will be fun with the 120. I have a spare Laser 80 and an OS 95 v kicking around too although my garage ceiling is a bit full with 10 IC planes in ready to fly condition . I’m almost missing not having a build going now . Anyway I look forward to seeing this one take shape😊

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
25/03/2020 10:39:21

I agree David. Cyano is too fast for me to use as general building adhesive, and doesn’t allow any repositioning. On many occasions I have decided at the last minute to move things or prevented a mistake. The other bad thing with cyano is it is hard to sand and isn’t great for sticking covering onto , plus it’s nasty stuff to get on skin. White glues become tacky again with heat which helps with covering . I definitely still use cyano for parts that need quick tacking, and for hardening , but I believe white glues (aliphatics and PVA) are better for general building. I particularly like Tite bond aliphatic which sands well too.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 25/03/2020 10:40:04

Thread: Can I or can I not fly?
24/03/2020 09:52:23

Going to a flying field (unless it’s your back garden or your place of work ) is non essential travel . We are not allowed non essential travel .

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!