By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Seagull Hurricane Laser
25/06/2019 09:02:33

Cheers chaps. Regarding ailerons they were set as normal(no diff) but I found afterwards that I must have accidentally altered aileron rate when adjusting settings after the maiden flight. I think I had left aileron at 80% rate but right at 60 % which was very strange..,

I’m having more repair practice now gluing back the tail on my P47 after a “non flying crash” . A freak wind blew the whole plane of our club table last Friday, and it hit the ground on its back breaking off the tail and damaging the rudder! It was very strange . We had total calm for quite a while...but then suddenly what seemed like a “twister” moved along the row of pits tables taking planes with it! I had only put the plane on the table temporarily so we could cut the grass!!😳

Edited By Tim Flyer on 25/06/2019 09:12:43

24/06/2019 20:39:57

Cheers Ash I’m afraid I didn’t take pics as I went along.

The most critical and tricky bit was joining the two halves of the fuselage. One side was almost intact but there was a fair bit of damage to the wing seating on both sides. For the initial join I mounted the front half of the fuselage on a strong heavy wooden batten on my bench using the engine mount bolts on the firewall . With the fuselage positioned vertically I then put the rear half on it. I then tacked it together with cyano and then epoxy. I used fibreglass cloth and epoxy to reinforce where necessary. I think weight added will be minimal. I re skinned the sides with balsa from the inside and filled holes with slatted balsa, which was later sanded and clearcoted. I recovered with black solar film and re painted by hand with spare paint I had . I’m afraid the paint doesn’t quite match but I didn’t want to go out buying more. It looks fine to me but obviously is “very stand-off scale “. The radiator underneath was crushed flat but I just pushed it out stuck it with s bit of cyano then internally glassed and epoxied it . The outside saw a bit of body filler too. That was quite a fun repair 😉. The most important mod ‘( I think !) was swapping the tail wheel and replacing the over long solid billet aluminium tail wheel rod with a hollow alloy tube. That saved 30g on the tail !

Edited By Tim Flyer on 24/06/2019 20:41:11

Edited By Tim Flyer on 24/06/2019 20:42:08

24/06/2019 15:39:13

All repaired now 😊

01bc84ea-1e83-405f-b827-bc8d410d9848.jpeg

Thread: Is it now time for cyclists to wear an identifier and pay a tax?
21/06/2019 20:46:42

I’m not surprised this “cyclists should pay tax” “have third party insurance “ argument crops up here. I’m afraid we get the same old tired argument from closed mindsets that we also see in some trashy newspapers. They always need a scapegoat for their own misery. In actual fact fact third party cycling insurance is incredibly cheap ! Why you may ask ? .,that’s because cyclists hurt and injure very few people in the UK especially compared to the more “acceptable “ deaths and injuries from motor vehicles . Third party insurance comes free with the £24.00 membership of Cycling UK , the largest UK organisation with about 65k membership . Making cyclists “pay” doesn’t work as most ‘ cyclists ‘ also hold other cover which includes cycling anyway. Any adult or child instantly becomes a ‘cyclist’ just by stepping on a bike so enforcement would be difficult. Also many cyclists also own cars. In my opinion many problems on the road come from lack of understanding/selfishness from drivers that have never ridden bicycles or motorcycles.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 21/06/2019 20:47:59

Thread: More good service from Just Engines
21/06/2019 18:47:35

I know there are many good retailers out there but I would like to praise Just Engines publicly for their good service. On my last order I wanted two 18 x8 W type APC props and they accidentally sent the standard 18x8 which I find don’t suit my planes. The following day the correct props arrived and They agreed for me to give them the standard 18x8s back at Wings and Wheels which is coming up soon . They have also never forgotten my “ back orders” on OS engine parts and the bits always seem to arrive. Anyway I like this firm and they deserve a thank you 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 21/06/2019 18:48:33

Thread: Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......
19/06/2019 21:05:35

I think to dare to ride a bicycle on UK roads demands a little ‘recklessness’. On my daily rush hour car drive I regularly witness impatient motorists squeezing between cyclists and oncoming traffic at high speed. They rarely give cyclists enough room, The “lemming overtaking manoeuvre “ where one motorist crosses the centre line to overtake an obstacle and a group behind follow close behind whether safe or not, is firmly established. It surprises me so many cyclists are still prepared to risk riding on British roads . Despite all the cyclist deaths and injuries our media still seem to concentrate on the far smaller number of pedestrian injuries from cyclists, rather than the much larger number of cyclists killed or injured by cars .

Thread: Kings Lynn Model Shop
12/06/2019 20:40:38

I like Kings Lynn Models too. I agree with post further up saying that we should allow the odd slip up given they are not some massive anonymous organisation. They have given me good advice in the past and pointed me to money saving alternatives. Yes any small business can slip , but from all my chats with them they are run by fellow modellers and that helps. Best to simply call them (I often do) if your order status is still “pending”after a week. As you may see from the other thread there are currently serious shortages in many ARTFs and I’m sure some other RC gear supply might be running in short supply this year...

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2019 20:49:09

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2019 20:52:31

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
12/06/2019 20:03:24

Cheers Percy thanks for the information I will certainly take a look 😊

12/06/2019 14:36:46

I have also noticed this . There are very few ARTFs around now. I think it might be related to earlier this year when there was a major RC company in financial difficulty. That has probably caused major supply cuts . As Percy says it might be time to get the glue out . Trouble is for many, they don’t have the time. Anyway I have always fancied a clipped wing Chipmunk and the SLEC kit is looking more attractive to me by the day😉

11/06/2019 15:58:54

Cheers Jon Please do. I’m sure the weather will improve soon. I expect to have mine sorted in a couple of weeks now.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 11/06/2019 15:59:26

11/06/2019 13:01:07

The Hurricane is almost all repaired now . I just need to order a new fuel tank and buy a wing tube. And do a bit of painting and covering. Then final installation. While fixing it I have made a few small up grades. I saved 30g on the previously heavy tail wheel assembly. I replaced the solid aluminium rod with a shorter aluminium tube with a pressed in brass wheel collet to hold the vertical steel steering rod . I also used slightly larger elevator control horns which were from Mick Reeves Models which I had in my spares box. The longer horns should enable use of full servo travel. When it’s finished I will post a photo 😊

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
03/06/2019 07:10:15

Nice one Ron . Good to see you back in the air😊

Thread: failed e-flite SAFE receiver
06/05/2019 07:56:05

Kim the problem on my e-flight receiver WAS Reduced Range .

FACT...we range tested it and range was very poor we had a number of “fly aways” just as the other user above.

Another user at my club also had the same experience.

When I say landed in “safe mode” the plane when out of transmitter range cut throttle and flat landed ...so fail safe.

Do not accuse me of making inaccurate statements on the internet.

I am advising others based upon this . If you for some reason are a keen admirer of this make of receiver, you are free to tell others of your admiration for it

I am speaking from actual experience. I know a number of others have also had this .

in my view this is a bad receiver .

Happy to meet you personally to discuss

Thread: Warning X8R RX - do not use with CDI on IC powered 'planes
04/05/2019 16:56:55

I don’t blame you quietly licking wounds that is so bad ...., It’s awful that receivers are sold like that without obvious warnings on them. Thank heavens nobody was hurt either. An out of control model is a nightmare. I know you like your planes as we all do , and as well as the replacement cost in money it’s all the time and effort we put into them when assembling them that is also lost in crashes. I do think we should have an “industry classification” for receivers. There are some horrible ones out there that can easily cause trouble. If range or suitability is limited to specific model types there should be a warning. I cannot understand why some manufacturers make some receivers for outdoor aircraft limited range .

04/05/2019 14:30:35

Blimey very sorry to hear that Ron. I thought you had been quiet recently. That’s awful . I must admit I have stuck with glow engines so far, as fo me they are always the simplest easiest and most practical option as i’m unlikely to go bigger than the 180. I’m slowly sticking my Hurricane back together, but while I do that have certainly been enjoying my home baked LA7.

Thread: failed e-flite SAFE receiver
02/05/2019 18:11:03

I bought an Apprentice a couple of years back for my son . We had constant problems with the “safe” receiver. It kept going out of range and forced the model to land in “ safe mode” . We ditched the receiver and swapped it with a full range standard receiver and have never looked back😊. I’m afraid I’m not a big fan of those “safe mode” receivers after that! Our “safe” receiver seemed to just have “park flyer range”. Anybody who has taught beginners knows they often end up flying too far out! It’s totally stupid in my opinion to have shorter range receivers on trainers. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2019 18:14:32

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
30/04/2019 08:23:53

Cheers Ash . Robert took it on an ordinary Samsung mobile using rapid picture function. It was hard to see what we got until back in the clubhouse as the light was bright.

29/04/2019 21:24:38

I got out again today and flew the Warbird Replicas LA7 as the wind was just right😊. I’m really getting to like this plane. It does need some careful handling as I built it heavy but once it gets going it cuts the sky like a knife and is very smooth. It rolls nicely and makes nice big loops. My friend Robert managed a good picture on his mobile phone 633cc5bb-6d1a-46b3-a681-76b2e59e14a1.jpeg

20/04/2019 21:01:25

Thank you Andrew . I used to have a World Models Spitfire 60 and that was a great flyer . I must really stress that this plane is NOT difficult to fly I just mucked up the settings when I adjusted them . I have posted this in the hope it is useful to others and they will not make the same errors .

20/04/2019 11:55:32

Thanks too Martin...we live and learn 😊

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us